I just picked up a 80 F600 with a 8.2 detroit, 5 spd. The bed has a new hoist but someone has removed the pto. I am trying to figue out what transmission might be in there and what pto is needed. Shift pattern is reverse to the left and up, 1st straight back. She runs very good and has new rubber on the fronts, 80% on the rears.
there should be a tag on the right or left side of the transmission that gives model number and make. Should be an Eaton
It should have a rectangular cover on the side also, I think it's got 6 or 8 bolts and it's 4" x 6" (roughly) Any PTO for a truck should bolt up to that. Did the pump come with it or was it taken off with the PTO?
The pump is there, just no pto and shaft. Nice shiney cover where it used to be. I'll look for a tag. Also, it looks like the 8.2's front seal leak when its running. Nasty weather here. She'll get a good going over next dry sunny day.
Here's a pic with the 10 ton trailer in tow.
you have power down there? I'm one of the few in NW Missouri with power so our place is a popular hang out this week
usually if a Detroit is not leaking oil it means it's out and you need to put some in it!!
Front seal leaks pretty good when she's running. (or something close to the front) Transmission tag found today while laying in the mud re-installing the drive shaft that was removed to tow her home. Cold rain and grease. Tag says its a Clark 285V73. PTO is a 6 hole mount.
some one said just about any pto would fit . well heres the rest of the story. just because a pto bolts up and works dosn't mean it's right. you could be spinning pump to fast or not fast enough there is a little moreto it than bolting it on also those are not gaskets between trans &pto they are shims for gear backlash so you don't burn up trans or pto if your not sure see a professional trans man
very true
Correct. Finding a "professional trans man" that knows this is difficult. I have a pto from another hoist pump that may be the correct one. Trying to locate a manual/info for the Clark.
I would not have recommended the Detroit 8.2 boat anchor for you. If there is one single engine worse than a 3208 smokeapillar, it's the 8.2. Good luck with it!
I read an equal number of positive comments re the 8.2. What exactly is the problem with them? Here's what I read and the way I see it: "The 8.2 is not rebuildable." The engine IS rebuildable as long as the bores are not too worn. No replacement sleeves. However, I don't plan to rebuild it...we'll see. "It smokes alot" I intend on using it at the ranch to move dirt. If I can stand it I don't think the cows will mind. I've only noticed this when she's cold. "The 8.2 is underpowered." I'm a patient man and it's faster than the cows. The 8.2 was in production for some time. I can't imagine it is any less durable than a small block chevy gasser which pushes my C60 along while guzzling fuel. Also, the 8.2 was used in many large boats which has to be a very tough test of endurance. Either way, I'm not too worried about it. I have less than the sum of scrap value tied up in the truck so far. I'll purchase a PTO, use it to move my dirt. If its worn out when I'm done I'll remove the tires and PTO and take her to the scales. The tires will fit my C60. As long as I don't have to keep dumping oil in the 8.2 I should still end up ahead.
My 1989 F-700 has the same shift pattern you describe. It is a Fuller/EATON FS4005A. The tag is above and behind the pto cover. I hope this helps.
I like the "it's faster than the cows." The smoke will help keep the skeeters and other critters away. Good Luck!
It should keep the roads oiled to.
if you install the PTO yourself take the shift cover off and use a dial indicator to set the back lash. .010 is where it should be on most PTO's. Some people have made it sound difficult to set this up........ it's not rocket science and it's actually quite simple. Just get some different thickness gaskets and change them out until your backlash is right, make sure to torque all your bolts when checking as this will change the tolerance. I've installed over a hundred PTO's and I don't even use a dial indicator anymore. I just make sure there is a slight slack in the gears. PTO's are not a close tolerance/high precision piece of machinery. Furthermore, 9 out of 10 PTO's run the same speed, it's the pumps that are critical too get right when you're setting up a dump truck and yours came with the one on it so your good there. I've had a couple detroits and yes they leak oil, ya they're slow, ya they smoke. But they work don't they.....I'd rather have a CAT anyday but a Detroit will get the job done.......good luck danielm
Under the steering column there's a panel with two switches. The left one is a pushbutton starter switch. The one on the right pulls out one notch. Can't figure out what it does. There's also a toggle switch located on the dash when placed in the up position actuates a beeper in the cab located behind the glove box. No idea what it's doing either. Mystery switches... At first I suspected it was a PTO (the missing one) control. Closer inspection reveals the PTO thief also took the cable that engaged it. The hydraulic valve for the hoist has its own cable still attached. Looks like all new hyd hoses under there. No leaks.