I've got an 88 F700 with a manufacturers GVW of 26500lbs registered in Washington state. Truck weighs 13600lbs empty and I found that when I was registerd at 26500lbs I was always sweating when pulling over the scales. I've since registered my truck at 30K and feel comfortable running between 27-29K, I can fill the box and feel confident of my weight. Tires are 22.5x11 and It was my understanding that if I was ok on tires I would be ok going over the GVW. I would like some clarification on this matter, thanks for the help Don
Max GVW the DOT will recognize should be what is on the door sticker. I am suprised you could up the GVW at the registry.
The people that take the money from you don't really know or care what your door sticker says. There are so many variables in the commercial field. For instance, you pay for the highest combined weight you will carry. So if you are towing a trailer, you will pay more to register than someone just running bobtail. It is up to the person registering to make sure they are covered for the max weight they will be at when crossing the scales. Crossing the scales is where the problem begins. You cannot be over either what the door sticker says (or over what the tag says on the trailer), OR over what you are registered for on your paperwork - whichever is lower. Registering a vehicle for a weight lower than the manufacturers tag is no problem. To register for a higher weight and be legal requires approval from the manufacturer or some other qualified source that says that the vehicle has been safely modified to meet the new higher specifications. Also the tire ratings have to meet or exceed the axle ratings for each axle on the vehicle.
I have a single axle International boom truck that weighs 26500 lbs. In Washington state you are required to license your truck at 1 1/2 times the scale weight. So they want me to license this truck for 40,000 lbs. When I asked what would happen if I was running at 40,000lbs on a single axle truck and was pulled over, of course I would get a hefty ticket. And, the insurance rates are based on GVW so this is the most expensive truck to insure. So currently I am running under a Fixed Load, but then I can't legally haul anything either. Get's rather frustrating.