Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Face Shield Face shield

Old Doug · 2021-04-30 22:57

I was diegrinding some brass had my safty glasses on tonight. I called a buddy that works in the er at night he said if i could go to the eye doc i called they had a emegince number talk to doc sent picture he said it would be ok but he is going to look at it 8:00 am. Scared the crap out of me.

Replies29
  1. #1lantraxco2021-05-01 00:59

    That's ugly! Hope you come out of it okay! I agree, lots of times it would be much better to use a full face shield, AND glasses.

  2. #2Old Doug2021-05-01 07:52

    I have to learn the hard way. It dosent hurt today and my vision seems to be about the same.

  3. #3Vetech632021-05-01 08:19

    DAM MAN! You could start in the next Exorcist movie. Heel Up before you scare the children!

  4. #4doublewide2021-05-01 10:47

    Oh man, hope you’re gonna be ok! Tinkerer is gonna be all over this one!

  5. #5Old Doug2021-05-01 15:33

    I saw the eye Doctor he looked it over put die in it looked at it some more and said it will be ok. I am in the market for some kind of goggles.

  6. #6Tones2021-05-01 18:40

    Non ferrous metal in the eyes is a huge bugger and darn hard to remove. Ferrous metal is bad enough but you have to get removed quickly because it rusts. BTDT with both and have permanent scar tissue on the lens.

  7. #7Vetech632021-05-01 18:53

    Get a pair of these my friend

  8. #8old-iron-habit2021-05-01 18:58

    Goggles do a decent job on the eyes but are not enough protection for most grinding operations. A full length face shield is cheap, and offers the best protection and helps protect the throat if a cutting or grinding wheel explodes. I've posted before about the young man that died in Eau Claire, Wisconsin a few years ago when a disc exploded and stuck him in the throat cutting his juggler vein. He never had a chance. That full length $25.00 face shield with extra lens is very cheap insurance.

  9. #9lantraxco2021-05-01 23:02

    Only time I had a doctor take a magnet and die grinder to my eye, literally, I had been drilling to install a trailer hitch and wiring underneath a pickup. Wearing goggles. Didn't know or feel a thing until the next morning, by lunch time I was down to one eye, with the affected one weeping constantly, and I headed for the ER. Goggles may not be the answer.

  10. #10crane operator2021-05-01 23:25

    I've had a eye doc pull steel out of my eye once, and I once did it myself with a magnet. I'm a slow learner. I wear a face shield at the shop, but sometimes just run with my safety glasses, when I'm in a hurry and being stupid. Posts like this help remind me. The non magnetic is going to make it a pain to get out doug, good luck. Hope you don't have any vision loss, I think Dmiller has some permanent loss from a eye accident.

  11. #11Old Doug2021-05-02 13:02

    It didnt stay in my eye and it was only in the white. I got a pair of goggles so when i am die grinding i will wear them with the face shield. I need to think more about what is going on the die grinder is the worst its like being in a snow storm.

  12. #12petepilot2021-05-02 23:31

    doug . you just convinced me to go get a full shield . I had a disc disintegrate yesterday afternoon`none of it hit me but sure surprised me 4.5" cutting wheel new never used. hope that eye turns out ok

  13. #13John C.2021-05-03 10:42

    I think die grinders are the worst for throwing off 50,000 miniature knives a second. It seems like every time I work with one, I have fifty or more little porcupine quills working their way into my hands. I can only imagine how bad it would be with little pieces of brass or copper stuck in an eye ball. Heal up quick!

  14. #14aighead2021-05-11 13:53

    Hope you are ok @Old Doug that looks terrible! There is a great full face shield on Cramazon, 21 bucks, that doesn't fog up and works beautifully. I've been very pleased with it but luckily it hasn't really been tested on me.

  15. #15Old Doug2021-05-11 18:46

    A buddy of mine came by and gave me 4 shields its looking alot better.

  16. #16colson042021-06-28 19:45

    I got an unexpected and expedited trip to an opthamologist this afternoon. I was hired to tear out and replace 100 ft of fence, do some light grading, and pop a few small stumps in a customer's back yard. I go to wrap a choker chain around a 4" diameter stump and one of the links caught a small branch/twig on the ground. That branch shot up like a spring trap, hit my cheek, and went right under my glasses and into my right eye. I have 2 deep scratches all the way across my cornea now and they hurt like hell. Nothing is in the eye, but it sure feels like I'm getting jabbed with needles still. I had to have my employee drive me to the eye doctors office and had my wife come pick me up. The irony in that I always wear a hard hat with face shield when doing tree work, but I didn't bring it with me today. Why? I don't know. It won't be left home again though.

  17. #17aighead2021-06-29 06:16

    It must be amazing how much junk glasses must prevent from getting in our eyes with all the stuff that narrowly misses the glasses. I hope you are ok @colson04 !

  18. #18colson042021-06-29 07:00

    I'll be fine. The eye drops take the edge off and the eye should heal in a few days from what I was told

  19. #19Willie B2021-06-29 07:37

    I feel it is essential to store your face shield & welding helmet in a bucket. A scratched up shield is a PITA. My welding helmet won't fit in a five gallon bucket, the 6 gallon I only found at a brewing supply works great. I buy the screw top lids at Home Depot. A $400. welding helmet deserves protection. A $20 dollar face shield does also, if it's all scratched up you might not use it.

  20. #20Willie B2021-06-29 07:40

    On the subject of safety glasses: Has anybody found cheater safety glasses, or better, bifocal safety glasses? I carry around cheater reading glasses for close up fine work. I've found the ones at Home Depot with a tiny area at bottom of the lens too small to work well.

  21. #21John C.2021-06-29 10:11

    I spend the extra money for prescription safety glasses. There is a place in Tacoma, Wa. that specializes in them but they are very pricey. Last pair I got from Wally World and they scratch up pretty easy. Next time I'll go back to the people in Tacoma. I found that the bi-focals don't work for welding though. I usually get the cheaters from Costco for when I'm welding. I don't do much of that any more. There is a distance range for me where they work. They are OK at welding range but I loose clarity when the item gets too close. I have to switch back in order to read a micrometer or caliper.

  22. #22Old Doug2021-06-29 18:24

    I have used the safety glasses with the bifocal in the lower part they didnt work for me.

  23. #23colson042021-06-29 18:35

    +1 on spending the money on prescription safety glasses. I have 2 pair, one has ruby colored lenses and the other has transition lens. Both have their places and I'm glad I spent the money on them. I'm not in the bi-focal crowd, yet.

  24. #24old-iron-habit2021-06-29 22:43

    I do fine with safety glasses with the readers in them. I have looked more than once but have not been able to find safety glasses with the whole lens being magnified.

  25. #25Labparamour2021-06-29 22:49

    I’ve been using these for around 6 years. Light weight, also have dark lense option I use outdoors. https://gemplers.com/collections/sa...reading-safety-glasses?variant=21172483457113

  26. #26muzy2021-06-29 23:26

    You can get lens ground that will fit your welding helmet. Just learnt that the other day when I borrowed a helmet and couldn't see crap. Dude was just laffing, me to after I figured it out.

  27. #27stinky642021-07-02 19:50

    Willie check out ZORO.com. search pyramex emerge safety readers full lens cheaters.. best ones I've found so far..turned several people on to them and they are very well received..If you're going to order they're only @$8.00 that's a real deal for these quality squints..make sure to look for the ones that are in stock as opposed to the ones that are drop shipped in the description as the drop shipped ones are $2.00 more expensive for some reason, also there is free shipping for orders $75 or more unless you sign and start an account, then it's $50 free shipping...If you search the sight I'm sure you can find some good stuff to fill your cart..

  28. #28Willie B2021-07-03 08:52

    Thank you.

  29. #29Flat Thunder Channel2021-07-03 10:42

    Wow, no one wants to take a hit to the eyeball. The red eye picture scares the crap out of me. It's a good reminder to wear extra protection. I usually wear the curved face shield that wraps under your chin. This works way better than traditional face shields. I also wear regular safety glasses under the shield. Double the protection hopefully. Glad your eye cleared up!