Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fall protection , fall arrest , safety harness

funwithfuel · 2018-01-01 17:30

I have been dodging this for a while. It looks like I'm gonna have to cave on this. I work in all environments. Scrap, building materials recycling, waste, dirt and mine sites. Safety Nazis are everywhere. I'm not against safety equipment. Just not familiar enough to be efficient or effective. ie, I'd be the guy who put it on wrong and hung himself. So for starters, what style, brand, type do you all find most forgiving while being safe and allowing you to still get work done. I don't want this to be a sales pitch. I just want your personal unbiased opinions of what works for you. Then as this progresses, maybe we can discuss one brand over another. Recently I had to work at height, had to borrow a harness. Guy who lent it to me was cool about it, just felt I should have had my own. Thanks everyone in advance

Replies65
  1. #1Twisted2018-01-01 17:51

    I prefer the ones that are more of a vest rather than all of the tangled straps. They are easier to put on and that means they will get worn when needed. I had a hard time getting guys to wear the harnesses until I went to this style.

  2. #2funwithfuel2018-01-01 18:52

    So, something simple like this? Does it offer adequate protection? And in the event you do fall, what kinda bruising, pinching etc would you likely encounter

  3. #3crane operator2018-01-01 19:21

    I've spent some time in a harness, never needed it, thank goodness. When I put guys in the manbasket, sometimes they aren't familiar with a harness. I always explain: "If its not tight, and you need it, it will get tight in a spot you really don't want it too". I prefer the harnesses that have the big holes and belt buckle type adjusters, rather than the backpack style ones like in the harness in the picture. They are easier for me to adjust to different layers of clothing, and get it to fit right. They do tend to be a little more bulky, and the type you pictured will fit easier behind the pickup seat. I also prefer the bigger snap catches, on the lanyard. The more like 5" size hook are much easier to slap around a angle iron or bracket. The little ones you have to wrap around something and rehook to itself, and its a pain. Some lanyards also have "breakaway" extenders, that will slow you down before a dead stop. They basically stitch the fabric up in a layer, and the layers break away the stitching before you stop. If you're doing a bunch of work up on a deck where you need to move around some, like on a crusher, sometimes a 10' yo yo is kind of handy. It allows you to place the yo yo and then have quite a bit of freedom in area without constantly repositioning your lanyard. It basically lets you move all around in a 20' area without moving your lanyard, but if it senses a fall, it locks. Kind of like a seat belt mechanism.

  4. #4Twisted2018-01-01 19:22

    It's been a long time but it was exofit brand or something. I would imagine protection is good. I'll leave the testing to the pros as I don't care to jump off of a perfectly good platform. Our safety compliance went from less than 25% to over 98% because of comfortable, easy to use harnesses.

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-01-01 19:33

    Thanks guys, and this is what I'm talking about. Solid information from previous experience. And thanks crane op for explaining why you felt some things were more of an advantage over others. This is exactly what I was hoping for. With products ranging from $35 to over $400 , I would certainly take any info I can to make a better decision. Cuz, this is gonna be on my dime. I dont wanna trust my safety to a parts guy who's gonna get the cheapest junk he can find.

  6. #6funwithfuel2018-01-01 19:38

    Twisted, I'm diggin what yer shovelin. If it ain't easy to don, you don't use it. If you don't use it, it doesn't matter how much or how little it cost. I am gettin older and dont bounce back like I used to. I need to take ownership for my personal safety. Thanks for your input.

  7. #7crane operator2018-01-01 19:55

    In my area, the pawnshops and craigslist usually have all kinds of that stuff. Guys get a job that the general demands it, they get done with the project and it all goes to the pawnshop or craigslist. Just don't give new price for used stuff. As long as there aren't any cuts or frays, or small burnt small black spots (from welding/torching) in the nylon, it will be fine. Search safety harness in your local craigslist. Miller is a good reputable brand.

  8. #8Welder Dave2018-01-01 20:01

    I took a fall protection course but don't know if it's mandatory to take or not. The one thing that I don't think a lot of people know is that if you fall and have to use the harness and are hanging for any length of time, you can get suspension trauma. You need to get an adrenaline shot because the circulation is cut off in your legs and blood flow is reduced to the heart. A good option is to have trauma straps to put your feet in to take the weight off the straps around your legs. If you're able to put the trauma straps on after a fall, your way less likely to encounter suspension trauma which can be fatal. They say 30 minutes is the limit you should be hanging.

  9. #9funwithfuel2018-01-01 20:01

    I have seen some locally for reasonable prices. I thought purchasing used fall arrest was akin to purchasing used rubbers. They may have worked once but do you wanna chance that they'll work for you. I dont know this to be a hard fast rule, but it is what I've been told. Sorry to be vulgar but that's exactly how it was laid out for me. Also why I felt weird for using another man's rig.

  10. #10funwithfuel2018-01-01 20:09

    I've heard of the trauma in MSHA 46/48 training, did not know there was a 30 minute window.i was informed that lack of blood flow would be similar to having turniquet on each leg explaining the wide straps. Spreading the load. I'm learning more and more. Thanks for the valuable information. I'm thinking I should find a class myself.

  11. #11crane operator2018-01-01 20:15

    https://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/tls/d/3-miller-safety-harness/6428273381.html $25 apiece, two are still in the bag. Miller. Can't go wrong there. Kind of funny he wants 125 for all three, but only $25 apiece, but I don't do his math. After any rig has been put on once, its used. I always bring two from the shop with me to manbasket jobs, quite often the customer will forget theirs, and I hate sitting around with the crane and not working because someone forgot their harness. I don't think I've actually ever bought a new harness. (I'm kind of tight like that) It really no different than the nylon rigging I use on the crane, as long as its in good shape, I use it. We don't use new rigging for every pick. I'm not suggesting putting on any old piece of junk from 1967, but if you look it over good, there's nothing wrong with putting on a used harness. I'd wear a used harness long before I'd go without, if you need it. Also: The guys who wear it all day every day will have the huge back and shoulder pads, especially if they have big tool bags. I find that kind of bulky for most work .

  12. #12Twisted2018-01-01 20:16

    I was told in my training that anything over 10 minutes can kill ya. The blood clots at the pressure points then the clot gets released when pressure is removed. I've been out of the business for a few years now so my info is a bit rusty.

  13. #13funwithfuel2018-01-01 20:23

    Saw that exact ad this morning and had to lol. I think I'll be giving this mathematician a ring tomorrow. I remember somebody telling me if the seams ain't stretched, they're good to go. I am just not confident in my ability to inspect as I am kinda ignorant to the product.

  14. #14Welder Dave2018-01-01 20:32

    Basically if a harness physically looks in good shape and has no cuts, burns or other damage it can be used. Another thing that is important when harnesses are used is to have a rescue plan in place before starting the work not panicking wondering what to do if someone should fall. Here is an article on the suspension trauma. https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2017/01/01/Suspension-Trauma.aspx?Page=1

  15. #15funwithfuel2018-01-01 21:01

    That was informative. Thanks a ton for sharing this information. One more thing I need to learn more about.

  16. #16catman132018-01-01 21:30

    I have the VEST stile harness at work, it is fast and easy to put on and has pockets for parts or tools ,,, the lanyard is another thing, are you working high above the ground or close to it ,with the break away lanyard that slows your fall you need to have enough distance for it to do its job or you will hit the ground. you may want to get the retractable one or a fixed length one. IF you buy used check it closely for damage, and some things have a take out of service date on them.

  17. #17funwithfuel2018-01-01 21:35

    Heights vary, just like anything else. I'm leaning towards one of them auto slack things mentioned by crane operator. Mobility with safety. I'm getting one helluva education in the process with everyones input.

  18. #18old-iron-habit2018-01-01 21:47

    I was going to post a very similar article to what Welder Dave posted. The thing to remember is that there is not a 30 minute window to get the person down. As stated in the article hanging in a harness can be fatal in 30 minutes. Serious issues including possible amputation can occur a whole lot sooner. The key is to get a person down as soon as possible. 5 to 10 minutes can cause issues in a lot of people. A site safety plan would detail on what would take place to accomplish that. It also depends on how hard they hit the harness and in what position. In most falls bouncing off items is not uncommon due to the unfortunate person not being in the perfect spot when they fall. I believe all protection harnesses now must have a shock absorbing lanyard per OSHA. A non shocked lanyard can only be used for positioning or as a limiting device. It can not be used for fall protection. In any event if a fall happens and a person ended up suspended in a harness make sure they get to a hospital right away. There have been fatalities when a blood clot occurred later and the person could have survived had they been in a medical facility and treated for possible blood clots. Another thing is to wear the harness properly. Snug per the directions. There was at least one fatality that a person with loose hanging leg straps fell and collapsed right out of the harness slipping down and out backwards. Finally, I applaud you for making the right decision to protect yourself. Good trades people are becoming harder to find. Good luck and have a safe year.

  19. #19Welder Dave2018-01-01 21:50

    There's a variety of different lanyards from retractable, shock absorbing and different types of attaching them too.

  20. #20old-iron-habit2018-01-01 21:54

    I used to think like you that a lanyard was useless at a lower level. OSHA says we must be tied off if our feet are more than 6 feet off the ground.(might be 5 ft now) About 10 years ago on a job I was managing a subcontractor iron worker was tying rebar on a vertical wall. His feet were about 6 ft off the ground and as he was repositioning his position lanyard his hand slipped. He fell backwards and his hardhat was the first thing gone. The shock absorbing lanyard caught his fall and he landed on his feet and rear end. Sore but no serious injuries. He was the first to admit that without the lanyard he would have landed on his head.

  21. #21funwithfuel2018-01-01 22:07

    Thanks everyone. You have no idea how something so simple "sounding" could be so easily overlooked. When i worked the quarry and mines, I'd see the guys running round in their harness, every piece draped loose. After watching a couple videos on proper donning, I wonder if they care about themselves at all. I was never properly trained. I am taking the initiative to steal knowledge from all of you. I don't wanna be a statistic. A little late in the game for me. I'm almost 50, but i wanna make 60, at least lol. Thanks again all, please keep sharing. I hope some young'uns might stumble on this and decide their life is worth a little bit more also.

  22. #22Welder Dave2018-01-01 22:14

    I remember they said to get the person down as fast as you can safely and don't take the harness off until paramedics or emergency crews arrive with the adrenaline needle to give you. That said the older guy doing the rescue demonstration on a scaffolding was trying to show off by manually hoisting himself up way too fast. I didn't say it to him but said it to the person beside me that you can't help anyone if you have a heart attack in the process.

  23. #23Jumbo2018-01-01 22:54

    I cannot agree with crane operator more, the buckles are best, you always know where you buckle in. When ordering for people working for me, I would order them new, and assign them to a person. I kept some adjustable slip buckles around for visitors, but for the crew, I wanted comfortable, easy to put on harnesses. Along with the rebar hooks on a double lanyard, you cannot go wrong. I think the lifespan for a harness and/or lanyard is only five years with no damage, so never buy a used one. Technically, both Miller and DBI Sala will tell you there is no effective lifespan. However, they will also tell you that ANY wear is cause for removal from the work site. L&I looks for abrasions both minor and major, so in effect, three to five years in normal conditions is the useful life. Most contractors I worked around and for before I retired got new harnesses for everyone at the beginning of a job, they are considered consumables. Always store them like you do your clothing, never in a gangbox, never on the floor. Dirty harnesses are a big flag to L&I to inspect for abrasions and if stored on the floor, they will find abrasions. Last bit of advice, if you can get the sales crew to give the onsite class how to wear a harness class get them to. It is a real eyeopener to see a sandbag dummy who missed snugging it's harness up by one buckle ring drop, split and leak all it's sand out in just a few minutes. Make you real careful about putting your harness on every morning. A side note, Since I wore overalls, (not coveralls) I always bought my bibs a coupled sizes large to wear over the harness that leaves all the pockets available for tools and such. I have had several people tell me that is illegal, but ask an L&I person and they see nothing wrong with it. The manufacturers also see nothing wrong with it. Since I retired, I did take my last harness and lanyard home with me and I still use it around the house. Re: fall protection vs. fall restraint, around the edge of a building, I like the anchor cable run on 6' intervals, I personally do not like the yo-yos as they get trashed quickly and need to be replaced more often. As long as you are using a double lanyard, you can clip from anchor to anchor. I find it give people a bit more confidence at the edge of a building if they feel a hard stop as the get close. But, that is just my opinion.

  24. #24walkerv2018-01-01 23:16

    i started out working for and industrial electrical contractor that did most of our work in the local dow and dow corning facilities , we had to maintain 100% tie off so we had the shock absorbing double laynards so when we moved down the pipe racks in the cable trays we would always be tied off then they started saying that cable trays were no good to tie off to as they arent engineered to handle the shock of a fall but they didnt offer any solutions to this so we would position ourselfs near the main posts of the pipe rack in the plant and tie off to them when we were pulling cables , if i remember rite the shock of a fall on the tie off point is something like 5000 lbs its been a long while since i have had training but if they are comforatble they arent bad to wear all day

  25. #25old-iron-habit2018-01-01 23:39

    Correct. Tie off point must hold 5,000 lbs. A person can generate a lot of energy falling a short distance. Quote from Jumbo, Always store them like you do your clothing, never in a gangbox, never on the floor. Dirty harnesses are a big flag to L&I to inspect for abrasions and if stored on the floor, they will find abrasions. Good point. OSHA will site a person and remove from service any safety harness they see laying in the dirt. Sand is the enemy to nylon and also chokers and nylon slings for that matter.

  26. #26Welder Dave2018-01-02 00:46

    I just thought of something. If you are required to wear a harness I'm not sure if you also have to have someone certified in a rescue? Seems to me you do. They don't have to be right there but within a reasonable distance so they can be there in a hurry. I know where I worked at the time a couple people were trained in rescue.

  27. #27old-iron-habit2018-01-02 19:28

    I'm not sure Dave. I've been retired 3 years now. It was not mandatory when I retired to be trained in rescue. We did as corporate policy, often with the fire departments and rescue squads that were local to the project. A little easier to do that on a two year project versus a few day gig. It was a requirement to have a "certified in first aid" person on the jobsite.

  28. #28Welder Dave2018-01-02 20:06

    I worked at West Edmonton Mall and had to go up the roller coaster and other amusement park rides at times. Even in a man lift you had to wear a harness. It seems pointless to have people wear a harness but have no around to rescue them ASAP if required.

  29. #29old-iron-habit2018-01-02 20:44

    Most falls are not from someone simply stepping off an edge. Often something caused the person to go. There are so many different situations and hazards that could be present in a fall that we were trained to call 911 first thing. To have a well trained rescue person on every job would require a person to be training almost full time and have a truckload of equipment to be able to handle most situations. Probably makes a big difference as to where the job site is to.

  30. #30Jumbo2018-01-03 00:01

    In Washington, last class I took 6 years ago never mentioned "rescue." EXCEPT in confined space and you had to have rescue plans and hardware on site. I worked in several wet wells in my career, both sewage and leachate from garbage dumps (the absolute worst) where I was in a full protective suit with pressurized air to breath, My harness was hooked to a boom truck since I was at the bottom of a 60-90 foot well. Climbing down to do electrical work was a nightmare, but I was always glad I had the hardware. L&I had to approve the boom truck as it was not "listed" as an approved recovery device. Access was through a 48" manhole, the biggest at the time.

  31. #31Twisted2018-01-03 00:58

    A little off topic but confined space deaths are almost always multiples. It is human nature to help your buddy and that's why the bodies pile up. Confined space entry requirements are a bugger and rightfully so. Any rescue can be tricky. My hazwoper and other training courses always preached the issues involved in a safe rescue. Toss on a suit, SCBA, harness and other gear then smear some goop on your lens so you can't see much. Now try to get a 200# injured or unconscious person to a safe place. I'd guess that about 1/3 of our rescuers needed to be rescued themselves, 1/3 made it in and out but no recovery and 1/3 were successful. It's an eye-opener to say the least. I guess my point is to avoid safety hazards at all costs. Using/wearing safety equipment is very important, actually putting it to use is where it gets dicey.

  32. #32Jumbo2018-01-03 01:05

    Well said!

  33. #33Welder Dave2018-01-03 19:51

    You still call 911 but it's about getting the person down as quickly as possible. That's why I remember they said not to just take the harness off and wait for the paramedics that have the adrenaline needle.

  34. #34CM19952018-01-03 20:08

    Very good write up Crane Operator, not much to add and agree a yo-yo is a must. We don't have to use harnesses much but I have two large retractable Miller Titan wire yo-yo's we use and they work great. Hook the reel to an attachment point and it gives you 20' of mobility.

  35. #35old-iron-habit2018-01-03 20:35

    Yes, If you can do it safely. It would be hard to stand by and wait in a difficult situation.

  36. #36Welder Dave2018-01-03 23:36

    It's something that you never really think about. You see people wear fall protection all the time but until you take a course you don't realize that even if a harness saves you from falling, you're still in a potential life threatening situation.

  37. #379599svt2018-01-06 18:54

    A lot of places now have a 4 foot tie off rule. A normal lanyard will stretch several feet to deaccelerate you, and because of its normal 6 foot unstretched length can let you hit the ground before it does anything useful if you don't anchor it well above your head at shorter heights. A retractable (yo-yo) is safer to use than a lanyard, especially at shorter heights, because they need very little distance before they lock and stop you. Not only does this stop you before hitting the ground at shorter heights but also causes a lot less stress on your body because the free fall distance is so much shorter. With any fall protection always try to tie off as close to directly above you as possible to prevent swinging if you fall. Obviously anything is better than nothing because like the guy above, the main thing is to keep your head off the ground. If you do buy a retractable make sure to buy a quality one such as rebel. Some of your imported or cheaper ones seem to lock up every time you make a move, which is very frustrating, dangerous, and a waste of time. Also some harness manufacturers such as miller have leg suspension loops built into a pouch right on the harness so if you fall and are still conscious, you can grab them out and put your feet in them so you can stand up and take the weight off of your thighs so the blood can circulate. Finally from one welder to another, get yourself a welding coat that has the slot on the back so you can have your harness under your weld coat so you don't burn it up. I don't know the technical name for it, but another useful item, I call it a tail which is about a one foot non stretch strap with a small hook on one end and a d ring on the other that you attach to the d ring on the back of your harness so you can more easily attach yourself to a retractable.

  38. #38Jumbo2018-01-08 01:04

    9599; you are I think, comparing apples and oranges, two separate purposes here: Fall restraint; these are the rules and regulations that keep you from falling in the first place. Yo-yos are one of the primary means of this. Short tie offs like cable and solid lanyards are also part of it. Fall arrest; when you fall, the shock absorbing lanyard keeps you from being decapitated. And gives you a “controlled” stop, (yeah right...) In a boom lift style manlift, you want fall arrest, so if you get tossed out of the basket, you have the “controlled stop.” If you are on a 12’ stepladder on a catwalk 60’ in the air, you want fall arrest in case you go off the ladder. If you are working the edge of a building, you want fall restraint, which would be a system with no room to allow you to get to the edge and tumble off. Yo-yos are designed to “lock-up” and when you quit pulling on them to do just that. Too often though, someone pulls a “little extra” slack so they can move easier and not have to fight the yo-yo. That is where you can get into real trouble, because now, you can reach past the safe working edge and fall. I still have my two 3” three ring binders from L&I which spells out just about everything. Always remember, the rules are written by insurance companies to cover themselves. Self-insurance have increased the complexity compared to when L&I ran everything. Too many accountants, lawyers and CYA people in the head office.

  39. #399599svt2018-01-08 19:13

    To the best of my knowledge a yo yo can not be used for fall restraint unless it is the type were you can lock it to only allow a set amount of cable out that would prevent you from reaching the fall hazard. Body belts ( back breakers ) are still legal to use for fall restraint when used as a limiter to prevent you from reaching the fall hazard like the edge of a building. OSHA has went back and forth over the years on the best type of fall protection to use in a boom lift and now state that it must just prevent you from free falling more than 6 feet. So I think this is the reason why 6 foot rectractables are generally used on boom lifts. I agree there are a lot of different types of rectractables, some want you to use a shock absorbing lanyard with the retractable and some don't. A lot of this is because a lot of rectractables (yo yo's) are designed to only be used overhead. I will also do some more looking also, in my 16 years in the trade I have probable had fall protection training 30 times and although it is a very important training, sometimes the small details change or don't sink in and you stick to the way you have been doing it for years.

  40. #40Jumbo2018-01-08 19:29

    As far as I know, belts are totally prohibited here in Washington. I have not seen a body belt in decades. (I may be incorrect about their ability to be used here in Washington, but nobody uses them ever. Supply houses don't even stock them.) The yo-yos I have seen are pretty much used in carloading and places like that. I know that in Washington, shock absorbing lanyards are required for fall arrest. solid lanyards are only allowed of fall restraint. When I started in the trades, fall protection was nonexistant. Working in a Boeing high-bay (70-90 feet) you were on your own. When fall protection first came out we were dead set against it. By the time I retired, I had reformed and seen the light and was probably pretty obnoxious with the people working for me about it.

  41. #41funwithfuel2018-01-08 21:49

    I want to thank everyone for their input and experiences. I appreciate the time you have all shared here. Again, I hope the youngsters take a few minutes to read over what you all have shared and take a bit with them.

  42. #42old-iron-habit2018-01-09 22:40

    Belts have been not allowed for years by OSHA rules. They are allowed for positioning use for example like when working on a rebar curtain wall. The worker must still use a fall harness and the rebar ties has its own set of rules then. Belts probably seriously injured far more folks than they helped. Broken backs using belts were very common in falls where a fall to the ground may have been less injurious on average. Back when I started fall protection was only needed if working over 25 ft so it was a toss up.

  43. #43cw4Bray2018-01-10 21:03

    Over the years, as an EMS helicopter pilot, I've flown several fall victims. A couple of the most recent fall accidents stand out. A roofer in a new construction steel frame warehouse with steel sheeting, stepped through an uncompleted area on the roof. No harness, the scandal was loud and clear and didn't go away for a very long time for the people involved. The next accident involved a flatbed truck. He was alive when we picked him up but died on the way to the hospital. This type of accident seems to result in death most of the time, please be safe. You're probably thinking, what the heck ! A truck bed is only 48" off the ground !! How can you possible die from four feet ? I'm assuming he stepped off the load or tripped on a tie down strap, but worst case would have only been 10' -12'. Maybe someone needs to invent a frame and harness traveler to attach to a flatbed trailer ? Sounds like a gold mine, if OSHA endorses it.

  44. #44Camshawn2018-01-10 22:41

    Fall restraint keeps you from falling. Pretty simple. Loose harness is a little easier to move around in. Fall arrest, tight harness to avoid pinching the boys if you need your harness. If you are in a situation that requires fall arrest, you really need a rescue plan or you will be hanging for a while and as others have stated, it could be life altering. Lanyards need to fit the situation. Long for longer falls, short for lower heights. Shock absorbers are a must. The self retractors have a place. Use the tool that is correct for the situation. Cam

  45. #45Emerson2018-01-10 23:31

    I've got my lift Cert. for Knuckle booms and scissors lifts and what not. I've always used the harnesses at the rental shops, I don't own a knuckle boom I rent them, these guys sell the harnesses this is what they push in the training courses. I had to go buy a $300 for a job last year because it had to be a higher quality and had to have an inspection. Something to keep in mind I guess, I had no idea, 99% of places for me are happy I have a harness on let alone one that is inspected every year.

  46. #46old-iron-habit2018-01-11 00:54

    My nephew works at a local plant (USG) that makes ceiling tile. They have a truck bay with an overhead rack in which they tarp and secure all loads. They can use 100% tie off because of the rack.

  47. #47stone3112018-02-01 19:47

    Go with retractable lanyards! In my experience they are worthy of the price. Freedom to move without it hindering movement. I feel that they are safer than a fixed length that might get caught on your person. In some cases you need different lengths for different jobs so instead of buying more just purchase a retractable.

  48. #48old-iron-habit2018-02-02 12:00

    Both of our local paper mills have tie down bays for tarping and securing loads on trucks. They have double rolling harness system above that rolls around staying very close to straight above the worker. No truck loads leave there with out using the tie down bays to secure the loads. EDIT: OOPS, Must have fell on my head once to often. I see I posted this a while back.

  49. #49DMiller2021-10-10 06:44

    Had a seriously stupid Safety Crew at the Nuke, took fall protection to levels of ignorance that were not necessary, as when working off flatbed trailers where the Load was greater than six feet above the floor and had us tie off to the damn loads, Interpretations were all across the board, arguments were often heated and just often. We used SALA almost expressly as had the large hole belts and adjustment points easier for use with gloves, had retrieval capability for Confined space and were pretty well chem resistant, SALA Bought up or owned by 3M.

  50. #50DMiller2021-10-10 08:19

    What we argued mostly was lanyards and reels. Reels work fine striaght up and down, inability to float them on rails or swing arms are pretty well death on a string where swing like a pendulum and get mashed sideways. Lanyards with shock absorption took 9 feet to stop a fall non absorption lanyards required two to move around where the chance to misstep increased by exponential factors. Combinations of and base reel set ups were found to require a fall of 11-14 feet before stopped fall or had arrest of fall so protection as to 6’ falls was useless. Company would not expend moneys for rails or swing arms as plant configurations precluded their applications, would not expend moneys could never recover to reconfigure a 30+ year old facility so arguements were SOP!!

  51. #51JD955SC2021-10-11 06:19

    Get in a fall arrest course to learn proper donning and rigging procedures personally I have an issued SALA harness and retractable lanyard at work and while it’s quality gear god it sucks to work in the only time I use it is in a man lift. Most of the time the highest I get is to work on top of a folded down excavator boom or to the top of a cab to rig it for lifting off. The lanyard deployment and arrest height is usually taller than I ever am so it’s kinda useless also a fall arrest is a very high G hard shock on the body. It will shell your peanuts and cause other damage if you aren’t tight and adjusted and you need trauma arrest straps to relieve the suspension trauma. I know of a case of a roofer in TX that came back alone to do some finish up work and fell off a house and was within a couple inch of the ground and died of suspension trauma because he couldn’t get himself down. Don’t work at height alone.

  52. #52aighead2021-10-11 07:23

    For the home users what are you tying off to? I try to not be too high up, kind of ever, but occasionally things need done. With the 5000# of force to protect against can you just bolt into the roof? Thinking about it is seems like some kind of wide bracket that would tie into several rafters of the house or something...?

  53. #53JBrady2021-10-12 14:23

    My profession is in the oilfield, where I have had multiple fall protection courses. When working at home you have to use what is available to you. A mature tree works well (3" branch or bigger). if I am doing a roof, I'll try to catch multiple rafters or the top sill plate of the wall. If the roof is already decked, I have thrown a rope over the ridge to the other side and tied off to something solid and use a prusik knot to adjust for my work area. Remember you LO/TO as well (don't tie of to your truck bumper unless you are the only one with a key to the vehicle and it is in your pocket). I'm not worried about OSHA showing up at my home, I want to finish my work and be able to play with my kids when they get home from school.

  54. #54skyking12021-10-12 15:54

    @aighead I go over the roof to the ground on the other side. ^ It is not osha approved but if you can restrain yourself to begin with, you are ahead of most home users. Go watch a roofing crew in town and see how they do it.

  55. #55crane operator2021-10-12 17:14

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/UpGear-by-Werner-Temporary-Roof-Anchor-A210402/203907999 I've seen these used quite a bit. Its just two steel plates and a D ring. Go up to the ridge and screw it down, then re cap the spot or tar the holes. $33.00 is lots cheaper than falling.

  56. #56skyking12021-10-12 19:15

    I can't hit the like button enough for that sentiment. not related to home work, but we would set a device called the scorpion on top of any pan deck roof that the guys needed to work on. it had a trigger that you were hooked to, and it weighed quite a bit. if you fell enough to trip the trigger it would send a steel hook through the pandeck! We just moved it around with the boom truck or the tower crane or whatever. That way the anchor point was always in the right spot.

  57. #57CM19952021-10-12 19:17

    Got a couple of those in our Conex for the occasional demo job that requires manual labor. They work great.

  58. #58skyking12021-10-12 19:18

    you go up in the morning and hang a retractable on those and then pull the retractable down to the top of the ladder. then you can hook on and climb up on the roof safely.

  59. #59_Weldman_2021-10-13 11:49

    Thanks for waking this thread up as I can't remember everything I need for task at hand I will be ordering me a fall protection today for my pole barn build. Found one from 3M meant for welders so welding splatter doesn't destroy it and I do carry a custom 119 Buck knife at all times that will easily cut it if need be. Off to shopping for a lanyard now, I won't hurt too much if I do fall since I am so light I can damn near float at only 140 lbs.

  60. #60skyking12021-10-13 13:49

    No kidding spud, you are a lean mean building machine. I suggest you save all the higher risk stuff for when someone else is home.

  61. #61_Weldman_2021-10-13 14:54

    That would leave me only 2 days a week to work lol. I rather get the fall protection system with lanyard, it's only $160 from 3M made for welders. I can always either cut my way out or climb back up the way I fell, I do have the strength to grab a rope pull myself upside down and clamber back up upside down.

  62. #62cuttin edge2021-10-16 09:36

    If you tie off to a truck, make sure you take the keys.

  63. #63JLarson2021-10-16 13:13

    They make deployable stirrups that you can drop and then put your legs in to take the pressure off after a fall and prevent the suspension trauma problem.

  64. #64old-iron-habit2021-10-17 23:11

    And you only have to do it once. You secure it to the ladder after you are on it and it is there ready before you step back onto the roof. Your short lanyard strung over your shoulder makes it easy to hook and unhook.

  65. #65skyking12021-10-17 23:26

    I was looking for some screws at the shop, and I found the bag of screws and instructions for that Werner anchor pictured above. It is a small world.