I was told that the price was going to drop first of feb by 30.00 a ton but to day it droped 20.00 and they say next week its going to drop 30.00 more. I thought this would happen because i got busy at the end of summer and stock piled some to haul this winter. I stock piled some years ago and i even gave some away because it didnt come back for several years.
US dollar is getting stronger, imports from China falling off because the economy is recovering so well, Obummer sez so... NOT!!!! Anyway, I'm thinking the Chinese are paying less per long ton, and needing less of it, and with the Renminbi devaluing against the dollar, we get less for scrap. Side effect of the cheaper fuel prices. Just hang on, it's gonna get pretty ugly pretty quick around here I think.
Scrap prices will be up in the election year if history is correct.
I figured it was something to do with china.I sure wish i had all mine sold. If it stays the same next week i will haul some more but not all of it. I hope it dosent stay down as long as it did before.
Global demand is down in a lot of areas. The dollar is really strong because we're the "Least Screwed". How much of an effect this has I don't know, but we dumped trillions into the economy trying to avoid deflation, kept the prime rate at 0.25% for years and never actually managed to create a stable, sustained inflation. Then OPEC cranks open the spigot to shut down fracking, thus killing off our energy sector and thereby the only engine actually driving what passes for a recovery these days. And with the dollar so strong, who is going to buy our goods? The next bubble will be our last. After that, it all resets and prices deflate by about 2/3 to reach equilibrium again by reverting to where they SHOULD be based on historic curves. Not that I'm cynical or anything...
First of all let's remember the politics rule on the Forum.:cool2 This time last year I got $.14 a pound for tin, did a nice demo job that had a lot of scrap. I hauled some old corrugated metal pipe a couple of weeks ago to the scrap yard and got $.055 per pound. I thought it was low but I checked the scrap yards closer to the city and they were paying the same. Needless to say I was disappointed. However diesel was in the high 3 dollars per gallon, it's the ebbs and flows of the market. I have a friend who is a millwright at a local but national owned cement plant and he told me they have spent a considerable amount of money to upgrade the plant over the winter as their forecasts are showing a big increase in demand for cement. That's good for us dirt movers as we prepare what they pour. Now I am no economic forecaster but I am a "glass 1/2 full" type of person. I think our economy here in the US has adjusted over the last 6 years and this is the new norm with new parameters that make the market. The US economy is the largest in the world and that brings weight along with it. We have to study and adjust to the changes not only here in the US but the rest of the world. China has been on an uncontrollable growth spurt that is fluttering. They'll survive and bounce back just like we have in the past during these cycles. In other words it's a mixed bag that our economy has seen before. Economics is a fascinating area of study and if I had more time between tearing things down and moving dirt, I'd like to formally learn more about the science of it.
The dollar is strong because the Fed changed their policy, causing the change. The change in oil prices is about 90% due to the dollar strengthening, OPEC isn't doing anything different than they ever do, except the house of Saud refuses to cut back production to try to hold the price up, having been burned by other OPEC members the last time we had a big swing. Since most of their wells and pipelines were installed and paid for decades ago by English and American oil companies, their production cost is near the lowest in the world and they have trillions in cash socked away to weather the current storm with. They prefer to try to break some of the smaller producers and throttle back US drilling and increases in production. I think there's some collusion here as well, Obummer wants to poke the bear, er, Putin, because well, Obummer just isn't as manly as Putin and his ego needs stroking, so let's crash oil prices to screw Russia, and to throw the Saudis a bone we won't let Canada pump tar sand oil to the Gulf. We're constantly trying to kill living wage jobs with more emissions regulations, but in order to have a healthy balance of trade we need to produce internally and export goods to bring dollars back here. Meanwhile those thousands of ships hauling all the cheaply produced crap from India, China, Korea, Viet Nam, Slovakia, Italy, etc. and hauling our grains outbound are spewing more pollution and Co2 into the air than all of the US and Canada combined since they're burning bunker "C" with 3 or 4 % sulfur in International waters and are flagged in countries with no Sea ports so there's no regulation until they get within sight of the beach. You don't hear the EPA or the UN raising hell about that do you?
Yair . . . lantraxco Is that all??? (big grin) Well said by the way. Cheers.
Hi Scrub! Heck NO!, LOL, but I don't wanna get banned just yet :tong
Yep landtraxco that and more is what's going on - the new "norm". Gotta figure out how to make in a constantly changing environment.
Its warming up and people are wanting to clean up. I had 2 calls to come and haul scrap. I think i will haul some of my pile to. I dont think it will come back up for sometime so i need to make it work at the lower price. The worst part was i was going to buy a newer pickup with the profit from my stock pile another lesson learned the hard way.
I sold a truckload load of junk water heaters today, we delivered it to our local salvage yard and got $100/ ton, the last load we got $200/ ton a few months ago
You did better than possible around here.
Yeah, that's way better than wholesale around here, did you leave a bunch of brass on them or something?
That's just 5 cents a pound. What's scrap bringing every where else?
I just turned in 10,000 lbs of steel pipe yesterday, to the scrap yard it is called "shred". It was only $100.00 per net ton.
Its .06 a pound or $120.00 a ton. When i started out selling scrap it was $35.00 a ton then it went up to $65.00. I couldnt spend it as fast as i made it.
I called the other day to get a price on scrap rebar. I don't remember if they said it's $5 or $6 per hundred pounds. Last year they were paying $11.
Scrap price down, energy prices down and iron ore in free fall, yet new steel price has hardly moved, here at least.:beatsme
I was in Duluth, MN today. The taconite pellet stock pile at the train dump/ship loading facility is the largest I have seen in my life time. Iron ore prices have been going down for two years, they are half what it was. They are shutting down another mine in Northern MN in a couple weeks because of the low ore prices and yet steel price is as high as ever. They call this free trade? It does not smell good.
Right now in China you can buy a ton of rebar Cheaper than you can buy a ton of cabbage!
In my humble opinion the rebar would taste better to.
Mix that cabbage with a ton of corned beef and I'm there ..
Ronsii, there was some minimal copper and brass on them, but very little overall.
Our last load of scrap sold for $ 40/ton. Not too many years ago we were getting $400. We are lucky that our scrap iron vender leaves a dumpster for us. When its full we call him and he comes and gets it so it doesnt bother me too bad we if we take a little hit on the price. The convience is worth it.
I quoted the John Deere dealer over three time's that last week with us sitting a can. It is less than a two mile haul though and mostly undercarriage's is really good scrap. Unless things have changed we are still $100.00 a ton across the scales.
Our guy has about a 45-50 mile haul. The last dumpster was 7 ton. He has to get something for his time and mileage too so I didnt expect to make a killing. He then has a 150-200 mile haul after processing it to get it to his vendor.
I tryed to haul a load a day this week to clean up what i hauled in last year . Its not very profitable because i bought it when it was up. I have 3 places to clean up next week it is going to take some time to get use to the new prices.
I am at Simms metal scrap here in perth Western australia. Have been waiting 55minutes and I expect to wait another 20 mins. My last price was $11 a tonne a few months back. They told me I should be lucky I wasn't paying them. Best I have ever got in my 4 years was $120 a tonne. Will post price today in the evening.
Current pricing here is $.06-07 per pound for non-processed tin/iron scrap mix. Last week hauled 55K lbs of tin/iron mix out of a demo job, I wish it was back at $.14 a pound I got a year and 1/2 ago.
Ok, just got my cash from Sims metal here in Perth Western Australia. Light gauge sheet metal. $60.00 per 1000kg. - $21.50 govt levy. Bright copper. $4.80 per 1kg Insulated copper. $1.60 per 1kg
Looks like in my area we're getting almost double on the tin or light gauge sheet metal at $.06 per lb. Copper is close. Bright #1 copper is bringing $2.20 lb. Scrap prices are better in my area due to the end users located in the area. We have several ductile iron pipe manufacturers and a US Steel mill.
I sold some copper for 2.00 a pound and car bodys have come up a little but they are a being picky. The cars have to have there engines. If it gos up to 150.00 a ton i will sell every thing i have saved back.
Ive got over 200 car bodies. huge piles of aluminum and a pk load of copper wire. a lot of short steel. I will just keep it if the price doesn't get better. it don't eat anything. and the wife and I don't mind looking at it.
Thats a Big 10-4 from my back door. Yep, the trillions and trillions that the FED has been pumping out and giving to the banksters "for free" (0% interest) has been used to pump up the stock market to crazy levels. Fort Knox has no gold....shoot, when the Germans screamed last year and wanted their gold back, our corrupt govt refused....said they had to wait until 2020. That bull. The Euro is gonna crash first, and then our stock market will tank big time. A bank holiday will be declared, and the banksters will "reset" the dollar with a new valuation......in summary, you wake up Monday morning and see that you lost 90% of your bank accounts/401Ks, etc. Best bet is to dump 75% of what you have into silver (which is dirt cheap right now). When the dollar tanks, silver/gold will skyrocket.....and wise merchants will refuse the dollar for goods, but will gladly take silver/gold. Then the evil govt. will scurry into their fancy underground bunkers, cities, and hope that the real patriots in our country wont be able to dig them out. But then the real stuff hits the fan.....Nibiru and its orbitals comes crashing into Earth's path, and causes a 25 degree tilt of our axis.....talk about tidal waves! Read Velikovsky "Worlds in Collision". End times here? We got the Blood Moons going on, and all the pointers say something is about to hit our peaceful world. Gotta go.......not finished digging my bunkers.
I am pretty skeptical. Heck Iam not certain they went to the moon back in 69? It could have been easily faked. Now I don't put much stock in the nibiru theory. However one thing that is for certain actually happening. The magnetic poles are shifting. They always wandered a bit. However lately instead of a few Feet per year. The magnetic north pole had began moving by dozens of miles per year. The south pole not very much. That puts a twist in the magnosphere that twist weakens the power at the north magnetic pole. that lets solar wind enter our atmosphere. that in turn affects the jet stream. That in turn drives the weather to new extremes. Also the magnetic pull on the iron core is changed and that in turn affects plate techtonics. So these weird weather and clatyclismic events will continue to increase in magnitude and frequency for probably a few years. and then gradually abate. Its a end of an age earth change. Probably happens on a regular 3600 year interval. Man didn't cause it & man cannot mitigate it. these events would still be happening even if man had never walked the planet. So what to do? Me I think it quite a exciting time to be alive on the planet. I cant prevent change or control it. So im going to embrace the new adventure. This past year we have already been enjoying seeing the Northern lights way down here in Arkansas!
Yair . . . And I thought I took threads off topic . . . luv it!! (big grin) Cheers.
Ha ha, yeah, these replies belong to the Heavy Equipment conspiracy Theory section. , not that I disagree on most of the points.
Old Junk Man......Good to hear your way over in Arkansas, pretty close to the Ozark Mountains, right? John Moore is a retired military guy, and him and a good amount of his military contacts "in the know" are getting ready for some BIG changes in America. He claims the Ozarks are one of the best places to be if these events happen. You can listen to some of his presentations by searching youtube. His sources also say that the govt. has inside info. that the New Madrid is going to go, along with other volcanoes/plates in N. America......and thats why they have been digging like crazy under all the mountains, have been buying all the long-term food supplies, buying armor piercing bullets by the billions, and just keep lying to the public. I agree......a real exciting time to be alive, but I think one needs to prepare......beans, bullets, bunker, and a fistfull of silver dollars. Nibiru....well, when we finally see it pop out at around the 1:00 position from behind the Sun, we will know to dig like crazy. Marshall Masters and Gill Brushard do some real amazing videos about why they believe 100% thats its arriving soon....well worth watching (on youtube also). http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...PJak1Qtf8VNm7Vp07FkwqFhg&ust=1434452581936437
antpoo/scrub puller......funny. Well, if you think about it, we were talking about scrap metal prices.....when the world economies collapse or Nibiru causes world catastrophic disasters, the price of iron will go to almost zero initially. So, all this destruction relates to the price of scrap metal........so, still within the box of the topic.......in my opinion. Ha ha. Yea, the magnetic north pole has really been getty-upping.....real fast, moving toward northern Russia. In the past, the North Pole has been located in Hudson Bay, Greenland, and Yukon (western Canada). We are due for another geographic pole shift, which could easily be followed by this rapid move of the magnetic poles. Wonder why my compass is buzzing in circles right now?
I got a song for you guys, It's called Que Sera, Sera
Actually if the clatclysms don't abate. scrap should be worth more. no matter what the world does . its easier to recycle scrap than make new steel ,copper aluminum etc. back in the 1800,s iron mongers & blacksmiths where in high demand. Galena Lead from Galena iIllinois was floated down the Mississippi on rafts to New Orleans and shipped around the world. Mike Fink the Legendary River Rafter. was headed downstream on the Misssissippi River. A steam boat was headed upstream. used to be prior to steam boats the loaded rafts headed downstream had the right to the channel. After steam boats new rule Rafts where supposed to give the channel to steam boats. Mike Fink made his own rules. Mike wouldn't give way. The steam boat captian didn't realize this wasn't a ordonary raft. It was bigger and loaded with lead. He thought I just run the raft over. And he played chicken with the wrong guy. The steam boat was heavily damaged and sunk ad the broilers exploded scalding folks to death. Mike Fink & the raft survived and continued south. Do a google search for the US Navy Future Map. The times they are a changing!
Im in the Ozark foothills. In on the rock about 100 miles as a crow flies from New Madrid. If we gat a big one on the new Madrid. from the black river at Pocahontas all the way to the rock on the east side of the Mississippi. That whole delta might liquefy and revert back to the swamp it previously was? he elevation on the east side of black river is about 275 feet. The top of my hill is 450 feet. When the 11 point floods a great amount. My hill becomes a island
"You don't believe we're on the eve of destruction",.... hmmm, mmm,mmm.. "You are now entering a new era, please set your whiskey compass back 176 degrees and hold onto something solid..."
antpoo......No habla espanol, amigo. ha ha ha. Or, is that French? Whatever will be, will be, and some of us will be prepared for it.....like in the Ozarks, or Appalachian Mtns.
Old JunkMan.......Ole Mike Fink was someone you didnt mess with.....reminds me of good ole General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CS. Good point.....as the world sees major catastrophies, the mining/steel industry could be down for months/years....and all your scrap will be like gold.
Old JunkMan......Shoot, even the US Navy has a map showing its predictions.....shows the Gulf of Mexico going all the way up to Chitown, and ole Miss looking to be about 200 miles wide. That farm of mine 50 miles south of O'leans might be in trouble some day. (Remember Samuel Clemens?). All that gas fracking out there seems to be detonating alot of earthquakes.
I drive old 66 GMC trucks. And we keep them running from my parts hoard. The same with my tractors I have junk ones just like those we use. I bought a second td14 A just to part out to keep my other one running. Ive got three New Holland hay bailers. Use one for parts. If things go really bad and there isn't any new being built. the old non computer machines & parts will be in demand. My junk doesn't owe me a dime. Ive already sold more dollars in parts and scrap than what it has cost me.
Sorry, I couldn't resist...
Just make sure you have the foil on with the shinny side out to deflect the beams, or is it shinny side in to reflect you thoughts back in so they can't read them? Dam maybe I'll have to use two layers one in and one out just to be safe, cost is going to double there goes my budget!
That's why I use two layers, one shiny out and one shiny in.
Old JUnk Man......Yep, you are being very wise.....and frugal.....and helping the environment by keeping old iron running and not buying new foreign junk. Great minds think alike: Heres are a couple of my old Chevy's: I definately do need to find a good old rusty parts truck.....to have on hand. EMP ready......points/plugs and roll starting all the way.
I just solder a bunch of 1 oz silver buffalos on top an old WWI helmet.....that silver is great for deflecting almost anything.....and I can run two wires to it, drop it in a barrel of ionized water, run some amps across it, and make my collodial silver to boot. ha ha.
you gotta make sure the tin foil hat is properly grounded.
I also hav one of those 61 chevy Vikings, they have the torsion bar front suspension. Ive got at least 100 chevy & GMC trucks from 1955 all the way to 72. and a few square cabs from the 70,s & 80,s. the GMC,s PK,s have rear leaf springs. I like them better than the chevy rear coil springs.
Scrap iron is around $ .05 a pound in my area . Down quite a bit from a few years ago but that's ok , probably where it needs to be price wise . Nice looking trucks 1968 Case 580CK ! We just finished up a job today spreading stone with a 1966 Chevy C 60 piece of scrap iron . I noticed some big trouble with the small block Chevy engine today ............... The water pump started leaking ...... The parts store wants 20 bucks for a new pump . Good lord ..... What should I do ? Is it best to scrap the truck & get a newer model ?
If you rip the pump apart and the bearings are still serviceable the seals are pretty generic if I remember right... so with a bit of time, rtv, and a seal should be fixable for far less than 20 bucks otherwise I say scrap it
I the bearing is still good. Remove the drive pulley & fan. There is a round vent hole at the top and a rectangular weep hole at the bottom. Get a large tube of silicone like fits in a calking gun. And fill it up Hold your finger over the bottom weep hole and pack it full. Let it set 24 hours and the shaft will be stuck. it willdreak free pretty easy. and it wont leak again until the bearing goes out.
I called the corporate office & after some arguing got the ok to purchase the rebuilt water pump . Those guy's are tough to deal with....... I tell ya what ..... All they care about is making money , cold barley soda , and a good billiards game . :beatsme Got the pump bought for $18.99 . Looks like we will be using the old C60 for awhile longer .
That's a good Idea Old Junk Man ! Could see it getting a feller out of a jam until the pump could be repaired or replaced .
Scrap prices are way down in my area as well, not sure where they are at now, but we hauled a bunch away a month ago at less than a 100 a ton, fence wire and posts they were paying around 60-80 a ton for, good stuff was still in that 110 a ton range. I've also noticed new steel prices haven't fallen at all.
I apologize for changing the topic, but it's like that here with gas and diesel fuel. The world crude oil price has fallen by about 50% but retail prices maybe fell 10-15%, if that. Seems like we should be paying much less than what we are now.
Oil sells in US$ and look where our $ is in relation to it. 30% difference right now. Buy fuel with US$ and it is 30% cheaper plus the 10 to15% and it's getting down there. d.d.
Yeah, crude's what, $42 a barrel right now? Of course you have to keep in mind that spot price I believe is for delivery three months down the road, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. The other factor is the "blink", oil companies are playing a little Texas chicken right now, none of them want to reduce their sell prices any, and as long as nobody blinks and they all hold the line, retail prices will pretty much stay where they are.
I sure wish i had a crystal ball right now. I have been told the price of scrap is going to drop before long. I dont have time to haul any off but i have been hauling some in. I am going to get my stuff ready so if it gos up i can move it.
from what I've heard it's not expected to start going back up until sept of 2016
There is a lot of scuttlebutt around that China's economy is slowing a LOT faster than anyone is willing to admit right now, and since they're buying raw material to manufacture stuff to sell to us and the EU is driving commodity prices for the most part, it's likely that we will see mineral values dropping, including recycled metals and plastics. With oil dropping under $40 a barrel that may also effect things even more.
Here's a scrapper nominated for Honorary HEF Member. I'd try to post a link but I'm, still...on my phone. Good for a laugh. It's on YouTube; how to lower your electric bill Oncore
They say it will be down to $10.00 a ton by the first of the year. As soon as a can i want to haul one load of shred stuff i realy dont want to store.
$10 a ton. That's cheaper than buying a ton of #57's at the quarry.
One of the big guys at the port here just went to $10 and charging for trucking for their commercial customers so it won't be long before the rest follow
Read an article that showed a fair percentage of the world's oil tanker fleet is either steaming at dead slow or swinging around their anchors, onshore tank farms are nearing capacity, the economies all over the world are slowing but the producers keep pumping trying to make up dollars lost due to the falling oil prices. We ain't even begun to see the effects. I'm no gloom and doom prophet but things are looking like hunker down and hold on tight time. We may soon see pre 70's crude oil prices and while it sounds good, what happened in the housing crash in '08 will look like a bad day at the office compared to the collapse of the oil markets.
Currently there are allegedly 3 billion barrels of oil in storage at various locations just waiting to be refined. The way world oil consumption has decreased recently that stockpile isn't going to go away any time soon.
Yair . . . Folks seem to think the world is awash in cheap oil when, (at the moment) the world is awash with very expensive being produced at a loss . . . can't continue indefinitely, lantraxco is spot on. Adjustments and corrections to come in the next few years and we are not going to like it. Cheers.
Cheap oil is good, far better than $5 gas in 08...
Cheap oil may not be as good as it sounds if it means that a large percentage of oil producers outside the Middle East go to the wall because their cost of production is more than they can get for selling a barrel of oil. Would you like control of world oil markets back in the hands of OPEC again like it was in the 1970s..? And please don't moan about $5 gas. I currently pay $6.55 a gallon even with oil selling at below $50/barrel. At $100/barrel oil prices we were paying well over $8 a gallon.
Nige the difference is the taxes you have to pay on that gallon compared to other countries with lower taxes on fuel.
CM, I realise that, but I get a burr under my saddle when people in the US complain about their "high" gas prices when the rest of the World pays more, whatever the reason ......
OPEC is no longer a unified bloc...
Nige, keep in mind 5-8 dollar per gallon gas will shut the US economy down. Along with US consumers many others from other countries would suffer greatly also. It is a shame that our / US economy is so tied to the world oil/energy supply. This last 4.00 per gallon fuel had ignited all types of alternative energy sources being developed and applied- basically I see the US rapidly being able to produce our own energy and being untied from abroad sources in the near future. The time frame will be dramatically quicker with high oil / energy prices.
been stockpiling scrap since last christmas. so now y'all are saying I need to be stockpiling fuel too
Yair . . . hetkind Maybe not but they have some of the worlds cheapest to produce oil . . . they can remain in profit when the US deep water, the US shale and the Canadian oil sands are taking a hit. These disastrously low oil prices (in my opinion) have in part been caused by the low interest rates in the US which has lead to significant non sustainable US production. Cheers.
The simple solution is to move to another country with lower fuel taxes, yes I'm being a smart ass and I know you can take it. Seriously, I have to base my pricing on current fuel prices whatever they may be. If fuel goes up drastically like it did in '08 ( there was a $.50 a gallon increase overnight), my profits fly out the door.
I am afraid that we are in for a needed fuel tax increase. Tax by the gallon, when trucks have gone from 4 to 8 mpg in some cases, just does not keep up. Add to that the amount of weight we are now allowed to haul, and the advent of the electric car, and I believe that we will have to go to a mileage taxi either instead of or in addition to the per gallon tax. Or, perhaps there will be toll roads everywhere. We are fortunate in the West not to have to deal with many toll roads yet. Then you have a car manufacturer (Volkswagen) that has been getting incredible performance out of their diesel engines, and they get dinged for emission standards. I guess we will pay a carbon tax one way or the other. I am way off the topic of scrap prices, and probably venturing into the realm of political talk, so please feel free to delete if needed Moderators, sometimes I just can't help myself.
Scrub, what do you mean by "non sustainable" ? Just curious.
If the ****, all we have to do is slap a very unpopular $20 or $30 a barrel import tax on all imported crude and Robert's your Aunt Jane's husband, US and Canadian oil will be well worth producing. That and reduce grain exports by about a quarter and stockpile that.... wait and see how quick we can "OPEC" the world with food prices. It's all in being willing to do what's necessary, even if it's not popular.
Nige, we are badly spoiled, I won't argue about that. You have to keep in mind though that we're roughly 3,000 miles from Ocean to Ocean and there's something like 2.5 million Class 8 trucks and 25 million total commercially registered trucks on our highways.... when distances are so long, fuel price changes effect literally everything dramatically. Hell the price of fuel to haul the fuel jacks the price up even more at the endpoints. Our wages have been for the most part stagnant for forty years in terms of buying power, so those of us at the dirty end of the stick tend to be a bit grumpy about grocery prices going up!
China has the largest shale oil deposits in the world according to a well healed friend that is a independent oil buyer for world wide large corporations. He says China is just now starting to gear up and drill and predicts that when they get really rolling with there production the oil prices will drop even further. Of course they will not use good environmental practices and back it up with cheap labor. My friend says he predicts they will put a huge damper on the middle east. Drilling in the US costs more, pumping does not. We have enough new wells in production now to supply ourselves and export for many years and make money at 45 dollar oil. Our real problem is our refineries are the sh*ts and hard to get the Ok to build some new ones.
Whatever country in the world extracts oil from shale it's still not going to be as cheap as drilling a hole in the ground and when you hit the right depth oil spurts out of it ........ I can see how it would make it less competitive but I find the idea of a fuel price hike shutting it down to be a bit far-fetched TBH.
Yair . . . As Oxbow quite rightly points out there has been a bit of a hi-jack on this thread but, in answer to lantraxco what I meant by "unsustainable" is the scenario where a company with good acreage was able to borrow billions to develop/drill/produce with an oil price north of (say) eighty five dollars. Outgoings/production costs remain much the same when the oil price drops to <forty dollars so the reaction is to drill more wells to increase production to pay the bills hoping to hang in there long enough until "prices recover" . . . an unsustainable situation and it seems some of the smaller players are not going to make it. It truly is a disastrous situation which inevitably has/will lead to hard times on the oil patch. I think it may be best if I make this my last post on the subject. Cheers.
I was giving the low scrap pricing some thought...the low prices reflect both high scrap inventory and low demand for new steel, both due to China's slowing demand for raw materials. Oil prices are being driven down by multiple factors, large amounts of expensive new production and ISIS dumping stolen oil into the market at rock bottom prices. OPEC is unable to change either factor, and is dumping their oil to keep up their lifestyles. The only thing to do is crush ISIS and stabilize crude oil!
Wasn't that the real reason for invading Iraq and not the BS regarding WMD....?
If you're speaking about getting oil from Iraq... No. The Iraq oil is sold on the open market. The "war for oil is a just a boogey man made up by the anti war factions. When the Iranians threaten the oil shipping through the gulf, remember American oil supplies don't pass there. Most of that oil is destined for Europe & Asia. The oil market panic is what will affect American oil supplies.
I was not specifically speaking about exporting oil from Iraq to the US but more along the lines of exporting oil from Iraq to anywhere. Effectively this required a regime change, a process in which certain countries were more than happy to take part, the issue of WMD was simply the smokescreen under which said regime change was effected. In hindsight it didn't end well for anyone did it, especially the Iraqis.....
Except now we're finding evidence of WMD's that were transported to other middle east countries when saddam knew the US was coming..... oddly enough I always thought it was smoke myself, but it appears not. After all he was gassing Kurdish people in Iraq....
Unless your fairly young i wouldnt stockpile scrap but then agin i have made money cleaning up dead guys stockpiles. There is a guy that retiered he gos to all the auctions and gives big money for scrap. I heared him say that if it dosent go up then his kids can sell it. I have cleaned up alot of places like his and the kids never come out as good as if he had stockpiled his cash.
Any way you stack it 7-8 dollar / gallon fuel to US consumers will be disastrous and will shut the economy down. The bright side of that is we know it now and are full steam ahead with alternative energy sources to prevent it from happening.
And yet every alternative energy source there is out there, when you do an honest cost/return analysis over the estimated productive life... comes out around the equivalent of your $7-$8 dollar figure, so how does that help? I'm all for alternative energy if it's truly clean, but I don't want to be going hungry because my tax dollars support it or my state regulations require it's use in order to force us to it. Or were you being sarcastic? LOL. We're sitting on a thousand years of natural gas right now, all we have to do is perfect the fuel cells to run off it, the storage tanks for our vehicles, and the filling station networks, we're golden and we won't need DPF and SCR and DEF and EPA.... Won't need power lines to our houses, just a metal box in the side or back yard connected to the gas pipe, a unit the size of a dishwasher will give you lights and heat for cheap and the only emission will be water vapor. Just as soon as big oil squeezes the last drop out... of our blood of course.
Lantraxco, No sarcasm intended from me. But renewable fuels like ethanol, solar energy compete with fuels in 3-4 dollar gallon range. Our local ethanol plant has been profitable for the last several years for example. There are many solar units being installed and everyone around this area claims a 100% payback within 7 -10 years or less depending on usages. We do not have wind units in this area but they must be good for as many that have been built over the last 10 years. Natural gas is a great source that we have plenty of, but as you say we need infrastructure to support using it beside for heating. All these other sources of energy will put a huge dent in our oil dependency from others abroad. JMHO
Maybe we need to move the whole energy discussion to another thread but the government here has recently removed subsidies for the construction of new onshore & offshore wind energy projects and the developers are now saying that without a subsidy to build them they can't make them pay. Make of that what you will....... IMO it's very difficult to figure out what is a level playing field where energy is concerned.
Well to find out, we just remove all price support, tax abatements, give aways and charge for things like environmental releases, carbon tax, keeping the sea ways open and such, and once we remove ALL the hidden supports for oil, green technology, like wind and solar will look a whole lot better. Ethanol is nothing more than a giveaway to the corn belt. I hoard quality scrap iron and steel for keep my forge fed for blacksmithing. Today I am going to recycle some old truck leaf springs for FEET on a pair of 25k lbs capacity steel sawhorses, personally designed and fabricated out of 4" angle and 2" box beam. Howard
I still have over 200 scrap vehicles and lots of old tractors dozer and sawmill junk. Big piles of aluminum,copper and other non ferrous stuff. four School buses packed full of engines and car parts. My little Grandson at the moment really likes it. I was intending on burying a lot it in a ravine. I suppose ill do what ever comes first. It don't owe me a dime. I sold enough to more than cover the cost when scrap was high. I sold a 57 chevy rear end for a $100 cash last week. Im glad I didn't sell it for scrap.
Scrap Has went up to $75.00 for shred if it gets to $100.00 i will sell my shred unless it looks like it is going to realy take off. I dont want to store it any longer and if it does start going up i will be busy hauling every ones Junk.
Anybody have any figures on what percent of windmills operate at a net loss. I have heard figures but have no hard data to back it up. Many if not all are turned by electricity running from other sources when the wind is idle. Watch one for a minute and see that it slowly turns. Apparently the bearings flatten when they gently rock in no wind conditions. I do know for a fact that the company I retired from used to install hundreds of windmills every year and since the subsidy ended its a mostly dead industry.
Good to hear it went up a bit. Has not changed at all here. Drove by the big sign at a scrapyard near here today. It still says $35.00 a ton. Historically scrap goes up in election years. Have to wait and see. I am thinking not to much this time.
Its hard to think about all the money that is spent on windmills, ethanol, solar farms and other ways to save natural resources. Right now there not paying their way but every great thing had to start some place and most were almost a complete failure to start with.The automobile started off and most thought they were a waste of money and time. I read about some ones grandfather saying back in 1909 that you would be a fool to invest money into a car company because they were just a fad and wouldnt be around much longer. Some of thes ideas will be proven to not work or pay off but hopefully one will.
Yair . . . There are some interesting thoughts coming through in this discussion. I believe down the track a bit food and energy are going to cost what they are worth and there will be a necessary "adjustment" in how folks think and act. Cheers.
I'm not sure much of anything new would ever come out, if someone somewhere didn't subsidize it, in our own operations, we do this with any new enterprise to get it up and going, we rob from peter to pay paul, until its proven and paying back making us money. We call it business and do it every day, its the reason we use collateral to borrow money and make machine purchases. Large scale business does it on a much grander scale, yes using tax dollars as an incentive to do large scale anything, no different than railroads of years gone by to settle the west, I believe they received land along their right of ways, to offset their costs via the government in the form of a tax incentive to do it in the first place, but maybe I learned history wrong and someone can correct me. This has always been done, hopefully always will, its how new technology is developed, we also use tax dollars for the military and also private business to develop new technology as well, not sure we'd have gps without it, same goes for airplanes, rockets, satellites, and hundreds of other things we use every day and just forget where it came from..........................tax dollars and none were profitable when they came out and yet we still have all lived and nobody has died from hunger due to new technology coming out. I'm not sure, but when dollars go into circulation, in any form, they spur the economy and someone gains, same for the government and despite how much I hate political advertising, those dollars do spur the economy and someone gains from the money being spent, and yes we all have to suffer through it. I'm also thinking, but again probably wrong, but HEF has allowed political advertising in an effort to offset costs, meaning none of us would be doing any discussing if not for a subsidy from advertising dollars to keep this site open, don't think this site makes money per say, but needs it to keep going, so where do you guys draw the line on subsidies?? Only what directly benefits us and our operations and how we do business or those in business on a much grander scale in the form of alternative energy?? I for one like gps, satellite based technology, phones and hundreds of other things I touch every day, and most of it not all were subsidized by both the government and business's everywhere long before they were profitable. Just a thought to ponder over.
i am loading some up to get it gone scrap steel trade off waste out per box of steel ..i have to get the mess gone . bad timing
Well, I am getting news that the experts are saying oil may drop to $16 per barrell.....its now hovering around $30. They had said that oil below $40 would cause the world economies to implode. Silver is a mind-boggling low of $13.75/oz.....in 2011 it hit $50, but the banksters have been manipulating it by selling paper silver into the market......all that is gonna blow up in their faces at some point. Also, the Baltic Dry Index (measures the amount of huge container shipments over the seas) is at the lowest point in 50 years, and it has dropped so far as to basically mean that trade is stopping. Chin'as stock market started plummeting again last week, impacting all world stock markets. Things are pointing to some very hard times directly ahead. So, Im guessing that scrap metal prices will fall, along with most commodities. Wait until the 100 trillion derivative market (which would have been illegal up until Glass-Stegal was abolished during Clinton's admin) explodes......then the Great Depression of the 30s will look like a walk in the park compared to what we will be facing. So, sell the scrap or hold it for 5 or more years?
I think you are being overly pessimistic. While trade is slow, it has not shut down, and commodities will return to normal value. I would hold the scrap for a bit and see it return to $90-$120 a ton range. I would suspect the iron mines, mills and blast furnaces would take more of hit that scrap, since clean scrap is cheap to process. Periodic high scrap prices are great to encourage folks to clean up the storage area, but they do encourage the theft of good materials for scrap. Howard
Howard.......Well, maybe I the experts who I listen too are overly pessimistic......I guess that time will tell. Wish I had more of your optimism about the future outlook.
You make some good points here Doug. Hopefully some of it will pan out for the good down the road.
Just hauled a load of shredder steel to the yard ... They paid $4 per hundred weight ... Few months ago it was $12 :beatsme
Its been holding at $10.00 a hundred on cars with engines and $7.50 on shred. As sone as i can i want to haul some maybe all my cars and shred. I have alot of aluminum.copper and brass seating out side it worries me that some one may see it so its going this summer.
I planed on geting rid of most of my stuff this summer. I realy want to move my shred and the price had been going up so i tryed to haul 2 loads a week. I got the shred hauled and was going to start on the cars now the price is droping. I would have bet that the price would have held this summer.
Old Doug I got $7.50 on shred on a demo job in April. Misc steel - studs, A/C units, etc. Stuffed it all in 40's, 7 total.
The price didnt hold it droped some i hauled every chance i got. I didnt realy want to haul any thing but my own that didnt work out. I sure wish i could see down the road to next year.I was told it would go up some this year because of the election i guess i will plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Last week I got $6.00 for tin/shred. It was dirty with some wood and insulation.
Tin and steel is staying low with some fluctuations up and down some non ferrous is on the rise though just not much of one
I really need to get rid of all the stuff I have piled around. Have rails, pads, sprocket segments and bolts from replacing the 955 last year. Two grills, hot water tank, complete 3 tom AC system, and a 30 pounds of misc copper. Never have brought in large loads of iron and such. Biggest thing I run into, is the guy which is close to me offers half or less then a guy 30 miles away. Could load in the dump truck and hope it doesn't get hung up coming out the gate, or load on my tag and pull with the dump
Some times its not clear were a guy can haul more miles and make it work.At one time i was going to the far away more money place with every load even if i didnt have a big heavy load in the long run it worked out. I havent been going out of my way to find scrap to haul but i got a call about some light stuff 2 loads . After i started i thought i should have turned it down but i was only 2 miles from a place i could sell it to so in the end i mayed $50.00 a hour and got 2 drills one i fixed the other i may have fixed wilwaukees free.
The price has come up some its around $135.00 a ton on car bodys. I was told it would come up some more. I started hauling i dont want to take a chance on it going up then have it go down. Now the price has went up my truck has a head gasket leaking antifreze to the out side about half quart every trip and the weather has turned cold.
Place out by me is running about $155.00 a ton
Around here... Shredder steel $6.25 per hundred weight or $125 per ton
If i know what was going to happen and it was going to be up i would buy a truck and trailer. I would like to get deeper or out of the scrap trade.
Last time the scrap prices got real high the big recession hit. Gas prices also hit almost $4 a gallon. Scrap seems to be getting better money now days.
It didnt fill like a recession to me i was thinking about a small safe to put in my pickup i had a problem takeing time to go to the bank. The $4 gas was a deal i made sure i had $200.00 on me every morrning to keep 2 pickups going.
I am waiting for that $200 a ton for anything to come back. I have a half dozen big loads of heavy torching to get rid of. I have patience.
I to have a few loads, and sure hope it comes back
@old-iron-habit do you hual your scrap south or north?
Last I hauled a few years ago was to Pine City. I took a bunch of copper and aluminum to Duluth. I don't like going into Duluth with ugly loads of burnt up slasher truck parts and turret. I can take the old highway to Pine City. Also been checking with Mora. A friend got a premium there when he committed to multiple loads.
The price has come up i have been trying to haul 2 loads a week but as luck would have it theres alot going on and i dont want to buy more but every ones calling wanting to clean up.
Good thing about scrap iron is it aint perishable . If ya don't like the currant rate just wait a few years for it to come back .
got to be careful , store it to long and you loose weight from rust
Do you all have a suggestion for a web site where I could track the market rates? I have a lot of Iron/steel Copper Lead and a little Aluminum Brass
Did a search on scrap metal pricing and got this site. https://www.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_current_price_of_scrap_metals Says current price on steel is $0.09 per pound and $0.50 for aluminum. I don't know what part of the country that is from nor if there are any grade specs involved in it.
Here is a better site. It breaks each type down more. https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/ Good Luck!
I've found that scrap prices vary wildly by location. I have a chum in northern Ohio near some of the larger steel mills. He consistently gets 50% more than I do, sometimes more. There's 3 large yards in my area and we have a wire mill, but our prices are always lower than I hear from other guys around the state.
That's true with scrap iron.
I hauled 2 loads and loaded another for tomorrow. I hope to get back and load one from were i have some stored. Then i have to go to a amish guys place he has a brand new skid steer on rubber tracks so he will load me. Its something to see him runing a $70.000 machine with AC and live in a house with out a fan.
The price has been good this summer but its gone down and is going down more. I could see it going ether way with whats going on in the white house.
Price here was going up, hit $170/ton clean scrap ferrous, Tin dropped to $130 then back to 140, copper anything is still making good money. One thing I have noticed is the grades of scrap have changed, large castings as engine blocks or large crawler components are graded as Tin as they are larger than the 2'x3' and under 100# for "Clean" ferrous. Have to get dimensions down or lose value. Whole machines are bringing less as they require disassembly.
I really need to clean my place up and should probably go and do it this year
Been working on my mess, already hauled away four ton and a couple hundred pounds in scrap copper radiators.
Could post a pic of what I have but its looking so bad I'm finally in the embarrassed side rails, pads, sprocket, bots, nuts, A/C unit, water heater, 3 grills, old horse drawn wagon stuff, and a whole bunch of other crud.
I have assorted remnants of a SECOND Allis 7G crawler I am stripping for parts with assorted small crap so do not feel bad. Damn crawler takes up a third of my barn currently but IS getting smaller.
Hey AllDodge, I will show you my pile if you show me yours. LOL. I do a lot of farmetead clean up and end up with a lot of scrap. Prices up here suck at the moment. $80 ton for unprepared and $95 for prepared.
My name is Jeff and I’m a scrap-a-holic. Two old forklifts, an old crane, an old truck and a 30 yard roll off that’s already packed full waiting on the truck to pick it up.......just to be refilled...... Third roll off this year I might add.....
I had 20 cars some pickups 2 trucks several tons of prepard and a small mountain of none ferrous. I set a gold to clean up the vehicals witch i did but i bought 4 last week. I thought i would take off this winter and haul but every thing has gone down here.Some places have got so funny about the way they buy cars. One price if they are complete another if it has something taken apart and another price if its packed with scrap.If it gets back to $140.00 for cars i would be happy.Its funny but 15 years ago i got 65.00 a ton and now i need to get 160.00 to fill good about selling.
Guess I don't feel so bad reading your piles. Water company have been putting in a new water line around here and I've been hauling the rock away for free cause I need it. Been filling in a hill side for 10 years now and its about full. But the rock loaded has been tearing up my bed because its large rocks and some bolders. Have had rocks stuck in the gate several times. Going to really need a new bed now, it wasn't in great shape when we started
Well, the scrap prices are entirely unpredictable and no one can say for sure what is going to be happen in future about the prices.
Scrap keeps bouncing $100-150/ton here, currently at $120
I have ask for years and most of the big wheels wouldnt say. I met a guy that had been in scrap for years and had a big yard he told me it would go up that fall he was wrong it started droping and went down slowiy for 3 months
Damn! $170 a ton is good money. I haven't been across the scales in months but I think the last I got was $85 a ton for tin. The highest I have been paid was $140 ton back in 2013 and luckily I had several packed 30's of structural steel from a demo job.
Just sold some shredder iron … $100 per ton. in mid NC $2.25 per pound for #1 copper. I remember almost $3 per pound
I think it is around $ 120.00 now. If i have time i would haul some.
I really need to get rid of mine, hope by the time I get it done, prices haven't fallen
You seen my pile. I got spoiled when it hit $200 a ton for mixed a few years back. I'm holding out for that or until I really need a Margarita at some distant place.
I’ve started another rolloff. When the weather improves and work slows I’ll strip the good stuff off the forklifts and maybe some of the crane.
I only made two loads when scrap crossed $250/ton, have managed to catch a few instances over $140 recently but the average stays low anymore. Can remember scrapping for extra cash in '76, three of us made $10,000 clear in a year thought we were pooping in the Tall Cotton back then!!
How much was it in 76 ? If it would go up close to $ 200.00 i would sell alot of prodject stuff but i cant see that happening.When i started it was around $60.00 in Kc i had a 1967 GMC and a 16' tralier. They would pay more if you hauled over 5 tons so i always had over 5 ton. I made 4 trips a week for several years i couldnt spend all the money i was makeing.I dont know why i didnt get a biger truck and trailer and make less trips.
I think we were getting $55/ton average, low as $45, highs would bump $75, what made our year was a 'Copper Tube' low pressure boiler received in what I believe was error from a strip mine scrap contract along with Several DOZEN aluminum bar three phase high HP conveyor squirrel cage motors. Those brought us the big coin. Worked for almost three months weekends and after hours event went without vacation time to scrap out at the mine.
Likely subjected to asbestos from insulation matts, various types of transformer oil(PCBs?), all manner of friction plates and shoes likely asbestos covered, who knows what the hell was inside the motor windings, know we saw Mica but maybe asbestos too. Old transformers for the motors had Sheet windings, copper close to 1/16" thick 2' wide at times some 150-250 lbs per device. We were getting $1.35/lb back in the day!!! for copper and $.95/lb aluminum. Can still see those end of month paydays.
I hauled a load of shred this morning $115.00. Ii was the kind of load that your glade to get rid of.It it wasnt so muddy i would load another.
Went to two places that take steel, one was 115 and the other is 120. Asked if it matters what kind and they said No. Can be a mix of galvanized and regular, makes no difference. Been keeping my stuff separated to get a better price, but appears that wasn't worth it. Louisville may be paying more, but that's just to far away
Here anything cast goes into the 'Tins' pile as there is something about breaking up cast.
I called for a buddy that has alot of brass copper rads $1.12. Every thing is down i hope it comes back before long.
It went down to $45.00 and now is around $85.00. I am going to haul some this week because i am out of room.I have 4 trailers and 2 trucks loaded. I was hopeing for over a hundred but i am worried that it may go lower.
Just hauled a few loads of scrap last week, the price is down to around 60 a ton, then they started charging for appliances, so I left with a whole lot less than expected, good thing I didn't toss on all the appliances I had or else I'd have to pay to dump the loads of scrap.
Appliances had to be run thru a crushing shredder here to eliminate as much of the porcelain as possible, reduces the weight some so they have been charging here for awhile.
We've been cleaning out sinkholes and came up with decades of discarded appliances, usually we toss them in the brush fire first to pretty well barbecue them along with anything with rubber tires on it, then crush them with an excavator and mix them into the load, this time around we were pressed for time so we burned the vehicles and tossed the appliances on top of the load, won't do that again anytime soon.
Appliances are no problem here they dont care. I have been cleaning up a barn were they tryed to store some green hay. It was so hot there was no wood left.I Just got home after loading the last tractor. Sometimes they dont like heavy stuff so l cut it up some what.It hasnt been a great job because i wasnt able to spend a hole day working there. Almost every thing is loaded i just have to haul it off i wouldnt have done this job but i have done clean up for the owner before and made out good.
I hauled 4 loads and got $90.00 a ton. I am going to load 2 loads this weekend. I think he will pay $110.00 for cars if so i will sell them.
I think we are around 85.00 a ton here for oversize steel. Im doing the crane work on a ship demo right now. Theres about a 1000 tons to cut and load out. A few goodies ive been able to save.
Tugger … How is the hull handled ? When you get to the lower hull, do you drag it ashore for cutting ?
I hauled in my random misc to clean up before winter this week. $35.00/ton. Ouch. But the shop and yard look nice again
Have to dispose at times not always the Best times!!
The local place has a sign on the highway and he has gone down $10.00 a ton. I have a load on the truck now its the last of the junk that i piled in the drive after that i may see what the market does. Tugger its hard not to save something back.
Hosspuller the ship will hauled on a marine railway . We were just taking some of the higher chunks off , masts and cargo derricks before haulout. Old Doug . The scrap isnt mine,but they let me pick a few goodies out as we go. Im holding back all my heavy chunks at my yard,crane frames,steel counterweights ect. I now consider that stuff part of my retirement fund when i reach freedom 85 .
Heres the view from the cab, some days are good on the water when its not raining here
A bit of progress . The ship is now high and dry.
Get the gas axes lit up, time to start hacking!!
It would take me at least a week to cut that up.
LOL!!! How big of pieces?
We are using both plasma cutters and torches. Heres some of the progress
And a view from above
Thanks for sharing Tugger! That type of work is so far out of my wheel house - fascinating! I wouldn't know where to start.
Its a ways out of my wheelhouse to, but you figure stuff out. Its been an interesting project. My scope of work has included setting up the crane on a sectional barge , building the crane access pad along the beach of the old shipyard and general yard logistics . It has required the pooled talent of shiprights, welders , electricians ,operators, laborers and project managers all putting our heads together to make this a success. This weeks progress
I had some scrap that needed to be moved out of the road so i loaded it up and hauled it today. I got $ 70.00 a ton. L didnt want to move it then reload it later to haul it off. I would like to haul another load to clean up but i need to hold off for a better price.I was lucky this summer and now have a spare trailer just for scrap that i can load and leave set until the right time.
Heres this weeks progress on the ship demo. Most of the upper decks gone . Getting into the engine room.
It always gets me how valuable something was then one day its unwanted junk.
Starting to get older noticing that vehicles and equipment that I saw come off the showroom floor or off a truck and treated with loving care are still around but are pretty much yesterday's junk and now just waiting for them to die.
Ain't that the truth....
You have to wonder why scrap is so low but new steel keeps going up. When tarrifs come on prices on steel and alum jumped and scrap tanked . Tarrifs were taken off ,but prices havent changed . ??
Did you guy's get any push back from the residential property next to you or is your work site previously a shipyard? Never mind I just zoomed in and see the marine railway etc. No wonder I have optics on most of my rifles.
I wish there was a way to tell what the market would do. I used to think that i would run on to some one that could tell me but it seems no one has a clue what it will do.I was hoping it would get above $ 100.00 a ton then i would sell now i hope for a $100.00. One thing that keeps it low is how much i have stock piled.
Well..... there is one way... and some people swear by it
The site has been a shipyard since 1910 .Industrial sites on the water are getting few and far between. The Canadian goverment has committed serious funding to rid the coast of derelict vessels. Good work for us over the winter even if scrap is low.
More bad news. https://www.theunion.com/news/a-new-recycling-ecosystem-may-require-different-behavior-legislation/ I still have a bunch of junk to get rid of and now this. I guess maybe I will just call one of the junk hauler places and see what they say.
Someone should challenge SSI to make a ship shredder!! just nose it into the wheels and presto.
Weekly Update on the ship demo. She s beyond repair now!
A couple cases of welding rod and few gallons of paint and she be like new
Don't forget the buffer.....
The truck driver hauling for us said the scrappies planned to put her back together for a fishing trip this summer .To bad im keeping the main engine .
How small are they makeing the scrap? Just were it fits on a truck or prepared ? I have cut alot to make prepared and thought the hole time if i was doing the wright thing.
what sort of burners are you using and what fuel
That engine should make a great racing mower for the upcoming lawnmower races
My old ship in the scrapyard: http://usscoralsea.net/picsexcv431.php
I just looked at the first page, thats impressive work . A bit sad too. I have no attachment to the ship we are cutting, but the day the flare was cut off the bow it provoked some thoughs of emotion.
We are cutting to fit 53' low side step deck trailers ,pushing the oversize a bit. The scrap yard is shearing the chunks to a prepared size. All the loads bulk out berfore coming close to weight. At 75.00 / ton we dont mess with it as its a pay job to dispose of the ship. So far theres been nothing over 1/2" thick, most 1/4 and 3/8 so shearing is most effective once its on the ground.
Mostly Plasma cutters. On torches we are using Acetylene , HP O2 and liquid O2. Im old school ,i like my 4' scrap torch .
I know once I picked up a plasma cutter, I turned in my oxy/acetlyne tanks as they weren't really getting used, ended the lease and got a couple B tanks and 125 cu ft tanks that still last me years.
Another week done on the ship. Anyone need a big engine.
Do you have any info on that motor? It looks real old.
The ship built in 1980 , newer than most of my iron. Heres the id tag on the main engine ,sorry my Japanese is a bit rusty . Looks like its coming to my yard hopefully someone in the world can use parts off it. Otherwise it will add to my pension when the price per ton goes up substantially. The last pic is the gear
Heres the id tag off the main engine missed it on the last post
I am steal cleaning up the driveway i am on load 3 i thought 1 would do it. Some of it could go in the number 2 pile out back until the price gos up but how long will that be. I got $75.00 a ton so far.
Heres this weeks progress on the ship demo. It turns out the engine was built in 1955.
Any plans for the prop?
They scrap guys say the bronze market is terrible of course. Id bet they could hold an auction for it. Theres a line up of people who want it as an artifact.
It would make a heck of a lamp base ...
Is/was it common to put an old engine in a new ship like that? Especially a diesel built in 1955 in a ship built 1980, seems like diesels were still pretty crude back then.
Old man on Alton Pool, fleet servicer, built his own boat off Hwy C in Kampsville MO, along the Slough to Alton Pool in 1978. Everything he used to build it was scraps and scrap bought to repurpose. 3 6/110 DDs, had some Offbreed LST or other Landing Craft rotating drives that rotated the position of the props. Still had the Typical River Tow twin rudders(2 Ahead and 1 Behind the screws} but had the added attraction of these positionable drives, like giant I/O units. Had a Common rudder control at center, had THREE drive controls and three separate throttles. I had the honors of servicing the Centrifugal Oil Filtration system MORE than once. Could direct one prop to the side and crab the boat sideways at full power forward. Out of the water the drives looked like giant outboards tucked up under the hull tail. The Drives and Engines were 1950's bought Junk outside of N'awlens.
I was told the reduction gears in the cruiser I was stationed on back in the mid seventies were refurbished from another cruiser that had been scrapped in the sixties. I got to look into the starboard red gear once when a plate was removed for inspection. I've never seen so many brightly finished herringbone gear sets in my life.
Old well fitted well maintained machines lasted a lot longer than today's equipment. Were meant to stand the test of time.
It seams like up until the 70s things were made with the ideal how can we make this last longer then after that they were built with how long dose it need to last.
The pace of technology changed a lot of thinking when designing new machines. What I see is people dumping older machines in order to obtain the latest and greatest gee whiz bang by golly faster, cheaper to operate more efficient what-zit. There are lots of twenty to fifty machines still out working. The problems with them are the availability of parts and their cost. Things like undercarriages, engines, transmissions and hydraulic components last a lot longer now than when I started in the business. There are just fewer companies willing to keep paying the money to keep something running for multiple decades.
The biggest problem as I see it is the electronics and software part of equipment. There are half century old machines are still working with recycled, aftermarket or old stock parts. The new equipment, once the manufacturer quits support will be scrap. Especially those parts that require dealer "calibration" for the individual machine. Case in point, I have a 8 year old Ipod classic. It holds ALL of my music collection. It needs a new battery, Apple wants almost the same money as it originally cost to just replace the battery. Newer models the price is nominal. Then there was the 1994 Chrysler mini van. The electronic dashboard went out, there were no replacement parts available at any price. I drove it with a GPS unit for a speedometer until it was totaled by an distracted driver (In my driveway !) So I support the farmer's crusade for "right to repair"
I keep hearing ,rip out the old engine and replace with new electronic even if the old engine runs fine. How much wasted energy goes into scrapping the old stuff and making new from it? Is this even a point of argument?
Many electronics machines are already there, lack of support and parts, trying to find electronics repairman to fix the bad processors and then develop the programs to set them is near to if absolutely impossible.
Nothing left of the ship now. We sent the last load out yesterday
So what is on the list as 'Next'? Very tidy as to clean up after done.
Looks like its back to piledriving,I have some sheetpile to do .
Great pics thanks for posting
If the price was up and you had a magnet i could use you you for about a week.
That would be cool Doug ,a magnet is one tool i havnt used yet with a crane .Anyone see any hope for the price?
Really hard to say with talking to the guys I know in the business... but personally I think(hope) they will start coming up some... albeit probably not near the 300 mark like the good ole days.... but I think there is room to come up 10 - maybe 20 percent in the next year or so.
Lets hope, sure miss those 300.oo ton days
Tell me about it.... I have a couple D8's and various other pieces of 'scrap iron' sitting around here that at the time I thought...Hmmmm I might use those one of these days and they still got some life left in em'..... I'll keep em' til the price goes up to 4 hundred.... what was I thinking!!!!
I would love to see $140.00 for my cars.I have been hearing the place i sell to thats 30 miles away is going to close. If that happens i will have to go over 70 miles. That doesent sound far but my truck is screaming at 55 and with the hills it takes close to 2 hours to get there but if the price went way up i would scrap some of my trucks and get one thats not as old as i am.I can always dream or i can get by with my stuff sell it all and stop working so many hours.
I have various crane hulks and other heavy chunks laying around the yard . All the light stuff that accumulates i just send out and get nothing for ,just to keep things in order. Hopefully the heavy stuff will bring a buck someday,its the best i have for a pension plan.
It has gone up by $20.00 so maybe it will go on up.I need to get my ducks in a row and get ready.
Hope after first of year at least recovers to $100 ton
I'm hoping for a bit more
$150-200/t would be SWEET to eliminate my pile of ****.
300 would be SWEEEEETER!!!
Doubtful to see over $200 again, China cannot break us so will not go there.
Would be nice to find a place that listed scrap prices. One I'm looking at shows 1.45 /lb and I know that's not right. Sold mine this year at 200 a ton
As soon as it goes over a hundred i am going to start hauling. I wish i had my fleet in better shape.
I have been loading my truck with appliances and other scrap as it comes to me and hauling it off no matter what lately because i dont have any more storage room and i dont want to collect more scrap.I had it loaded and hauled it early today 90.00 a ton.I felt good about geting rid of a load but i got a call from some one that just bought a farm so i went and got another load best part was it was about free.
Any good news on the price these days?
I think it's been pretty flat around here... I keep hoping it'll start to jump but now with the china thing and everything else it's just hard to predict...
My brother sold a car a month ago and got $100/ton for it. It only weighed 1.9 tons, but he got rid of his lawn ornament.
My go-to is Mullins salvage, current price $85t for tin and cast, $105t for prepared steel.
I heard it was $90.00 for cars and shred. I have a load ready to go when i have time to haul it. I dread when people call and want me to haul.I have alot going on and there is not much money to be made if you have to by it.
Scrap always used to go up to a decent price in a election year. With less coming from China lets hope they will melt some here again. I got a bunch to clean up but it will last if need be. Mostly heavier stuff.
I went to a farm today it was just sold and the new owner is cleaning it up. I may have not did it but i have got stuff from him before. I thought 1 load would get it but there was 2 1/2 loads then i loaded another load at another place so i hauled 3 loads. It was very muddy then i got to the scrap yard and was told it had drop $30.00 a ton. They said it was going to drop more.
I went and got 2 big loads of heavy scrap it was free and they loaded it now if the price would just go back up i would be rich.
Wow- $30 a ton? It's not worth separating metal on a demo job at that price - just send it to the landfill and pay $22-27 a ton to dispose of it.
Called the other day here and its $20. My giant pile will just keep growing I guess.
disgusting local s,y, here is not taking anything less than demo load & dirt cheap for that
Years ago it was low and it went to $35 a ton i hauled a lot of it for that price. If it gets back to $100 i will get rid of the cars.I dont have room to store much more.
I hauled a load of tin today got $ 85.00 i would love to haul another but its muddy when it stops raining i will haul some more and try to get some cars ready.
I need to get that donor carcass cut down to haul if ever crosses $85t here
i know what you mean... I keep saying that about one of my 2U's... and maybe a few other things... although I think I'll hold out for at least 200/tn...
I hauled another load and reloaded this week end. This has most of the tin and wire hauled off. If it gos up or stays at this price till the end of summer i will haul my cars. I need a good price to feed my 3.5 mpg truck.
I am going to start hauling my cars off. I am afraid that with every thing that is going on its will stay the same till winter then drop and i will be stuck with them for a while.
Is the price getting any better,i havent watched it for a while
It went way down in the spring then came back to $80.00 a ton for cars. I had plans to buy a truck and trade trailers and haul it all off . I got the truck but dont think i will buy a trailer now.
I got sick of all the stuff laying around and hauled off a few loads about a month ago, think it was about 45 a ton, not much more than the fuel it took to haul it away but at least its gone and now have more room to pile more up again.
iscrapapp.com will give you the latest prices in the yards around your area
This would be ok but no one around me has updated it for a long time.
Hauled 5 - 30 CY cans of metal from a demo job to a local yard for $.07 per LB for tin/demo scrap - 40,320 LBS total. Not too bad considering I would've paid $27 a ton to dispose of the debris at the landfill if we didn't separate it. The hauling is the same rate for metal or trash so it's a win. One 5K SF metal building and one 6K SF. Pretty easy demo with a steel shear.
I just wonder what will happen after November. I at least need to get ready.
Sounds promising.
what happens Nov 1?
After nov not nov1.
The price is comeing up its 90.00 a ton for cars i am loading a load for tomorrow. I will see what they think at the yard and maybe start hauling my cars.
I called around last week, rates vary quite a bit. $90/ton at one place that will take anything, $100 at the one closest to me, and $110/ton for the second closest place to me.
I hauled a load to the local place he said it had dropped some. I hope to get some cars loaded and make a deal with the far away place to sell him all of them.
So far price here is holding at $110T for unprepared steel. Actually quote a per pound price for prepared and for copper or aluminum where that is pretty fluid right now.
I have at least 8 cars i want to haul right now i hope to haul a load the first of the week. I just about have a load ready. I pull the rads,cats, fuel tank and if they have wheels. It takes about all day to do 3 cars . If i had a concrete slab i could do it alot faster i would sweep up the mess when i am done but out in the dirt its hard to clean up glass if some gets broken.
Our scrapper at Rosebud is like that, so long as gate is open can get off the highway otherwise next entry to his yard to turn around and wait is another 1/8 mile on a blind corner. Not much fun early.
I never thought about this when i was buying junk cars the mini vans and SUVs anr going to make tall loads.
I hauled a load early to day i was pushing over 13' tall and stuck out like a sore thumb so i made sure every thing was good. I used 10 chains and 11 boomers on 3 cars. Two cars were stuffed with small stuff i didnt think i would have more than 4 tons but i had over 6tons. My c70 pulled it good i would like a bigger trailer but i can do it with what i have. If i dont find a deal on a trailer i may build one after i get most of my junk hauled.
What did you get per TN Doug?
It had dropped some i got $95.00 a ton. I would like to haul 3 more this week if i can. I think 60 miles up the road they are paying 110.00 but is it worth the extra time and miles? If i could haul 5 cars a trip i would go farther i did that trip alot before this closer place opened.
I made 2 trips today and i am dead tired then i went to work and worked till 5:00 then went back to the farm and pulled another van out to start another load. I hope to load a load of cars and a load of lose stuff this weekend. After this i have rigs that i think i want to save parts off of that will be slow going. I saw the owner today and he raised me $10.00.
Only hauled one load last week it rained i hope to take off some this week and haul.
Didnt get to take off but i have a lose load of stuff loaded in my 64 f600 to haul tomorrow. I drive the ford about 55mph it seems very slow.
Middle North Carolina ... Yesterday's Pick-up load. $5.83 per hundred weight of shredder steel. Paid for the gas to get it there... Getting it off the farm... Priceless
Hauled almost 3 tons of stuff that was laying around in the way. I got $100.00 a ton. I am now down to the stuff that i had plans to do something with i could be a hoarder
I always feel better with less mess around.
I have made my up my mind to haul off alot stuff. It took years to collect so it will take a while to haul off.
Hauled a load today it was up $15.00 more a ton. I wish it would go up some more it would make it easyer to get rid of some stuff.
All mine is gone now so no getting better cash Good luck to you Doug for better money How’s your Dad?
He is doing better he may get to come home this week. Its hard to tell alot about just how he is doing not being able to talk to him face to face.
Its gone up some more i havent hauled or called but its 150.00. I hope to take off most of this week to haul.I have 1 or 2 more loads of cars then its #2 prepared that will be fun alot of hand work.
Glad to hear prices are coming up. I used to haul scrap when I was in high school using a pickup and a dump trailer. It was a bit of bull work loading and securing, but it was always a quick unload at the recyclers.
I am gonna have a load come the cleanup of the KW Detritus already pulled. Still have some leftovers in the barn to go too.
It will be alot of throwing a load in the skid steer bucket dumping it on the trailer repeat,repeat,repeat. I loaded small stuff buy hand for years i should have got a skid steer years ago.
I was told its dropping agin i am going to haul my cars no matter what.
I heard at a conference I attended on line that it should be going up in the near future. I generally don't like it laying around if it is something I can't use so most of my junk went away when the market bottomed anyway.
The damn price of new steel is going up weekly, they damn well better raise the price of scrap or there won't be any new steel to build with, structural, rebar, or machinery!
That's what we were told at the conference.
I sold most of mt catalatic converters to day and i think i have my aluminum iragation tubing sold i cant weight to get rid of that mess. The best part is i dont have to cut it up or haul it very far.
Thats me too, buy high sell low!
When i was doing it every day i made money but doing it part time it would take a good account to figure if i made anything.
I built a 4’ cube dumpster. They can use the forklift rotator to dump it at the scrap yard I use. So I just haul it in when its full and I need some more space. I used to use 55 gallon drums, this is a far superior method. I don’t really do it for the money, more just to manage my own waste output.
Yes, and lots of good stuff taken away and gone forever.
I loaded my last bundle of iragation pipe very glade to see it go.
Just read where Chicago price for shred has hit $450 a ton... I need to call the local highway robbers and see what they're paying for #2.
I dont know if there is any thing like scrap when it comes to prices every one has a different price every one is giving more and every one is getting more than the next guy.
Too true. We're about 225 miles from Portland and the Schnitzer docks, so the best price is to be a mass volume sorted and prepared source direct to Schnitzer. Locally here, we have two scrap buyers, both of which sell to larger scrap companies in Eugene which is about a hundred miles away. Now they either deliver direct to Schnitzer, or there's yet another middle man in between. Each takes a cut, lowering what we get, minus trucking to Portland. Ugly game.
I did haul every thing to Kansas City i would leave home early to beat the traffic but traffic got thicker and thicker so i started going to ST Joseph less traffic and there is a back road 2 lane highway. There is also a place halfway that will give me $10.00 to $15.00 a ton less i sell alot of stuff to him that is bulky thats hard to make a heavy load with.
I hauled 4 loads this week even with it raining almost nonstop. My brother hauled shingles over for the farm house so i loaded his trailer up so he will sell it Monday . Price is around $140.00. I priced my trailer to a guy if he buys it i will sell other trailer and some how end up with a bigger one.
Getting another load built up here off my old junk repairs. Should be close to a ton on my trailer now and will only bring around $120 for the lot. Three scrap dealers nearby, all about the same distance, prices vary up to $30 a ton and none have any further haul than the others.
I am getting started on my aluminum i wanted to get a 30 foot van trailer to use but they seem hard to find and having time to look for one. I have enough stuff that it will take several trips so a trailer would pay for its self and my pickup to pull the small trailer isnt the greatest . Copper is at a good price right now also.
Hauled a load of aluminum today i got .78 for wheels .45 /.50 for other aluminum. I wasnt crazy about it but a good customer had some more iragation pipe. They said they would give .56 if i cut the bells off and cut it in half. I think it will take 2 trips. Unless its about free i dont want to deal with any more of that pipe.
The price for shred/cars went up for about 2 weeks then went back down. I badly need a bigger trailer so i can haul more when the price gos up or get out of scraping.
Around here I get paid to remove it from where its at and load it up for the owner or else just pile it up. There is no money in doing the hauling what so ever. Excavator and thumb is by far the best way to handle the removal and sorting. Vehicles are far too bulky and too little value to mess around with in my opinion, those also require a junking certificate to go with the vehicle, that means the hassle and time of going to the court house and taking care of the paperwork, that junking certificate needs to be in the name of the person doing the hauling, so title transfer and then the junking certificate is given, a complete money losing deal from start to finish.
How far are you from a scrap yard? I am 30 to 60 miles they will take most cars without a tittle here . When scrap got high they want tittles them they only needed them if they were 10 years old or newer then it was 15 years or newer. If things go right i can make a weeks wages hauling in one day but there are weeks were it takes a week to make a days wage. When i get a diffrent job someday i will slow down or quit scrapping.
I would like the scrap yards to require more documentation on catalytic converters. Things are selling around $400 and this is why so many have them stollen
Some do but you always have people that make a buck no matter what. If they were harder to get off that mite help.
The sales of stolen cats could be stopped tomorrow. Just require the vin number of the vehicle that it was removed from on the sales receipt at the yard that pays for it. It's not like they are scrap copper. They are not fungible! Also include jail time and felony convictions for people caught stealing them. Right now stealing a cat is only a misdemeanor with a fine and the thief likely just goes out to steal some more before they see a judge, that is if they ever see a judge.
Theres to much creminal market to sell to. When i sell they price them off the numbers on the cat if i had a cat to sell and the scrap yard looks it up and its off a car 2 years old or brand new this should raise a red flag why is a 2 year old or brand new car no longer need its cat? The car builders could make it harder i have run across exhaust pipe that a saw wouldnt cut. Some are so hard to get to that getting it off is a job not something you would want to do in a parking lot.
The whole VIN and title idea is that, only an idea to keep thieves at bay and to attempt to avoid thefts of vehicles. Most vehicle thefts in my area of much older vehicles, those 70-90 vintage vehicles that nobody would miss in the first place. They are stolen and sold for parts and nobody will ever go looking for them due to the low value to begin with. There was a rash of those vehicles stolen the last few years, the thieves are after the engines, transmission, transfer cases in 4x4's and axles, the rest is cut up so small and mostly rusted out anyhow, nobody will require any documentation to go with them. Its mostly whole vehicles that require a junking certificate, so if I were to load up a whole load of smashed vehicles and have the glass, tires, batteries and gas tank removed, I have to have provide a junking certificate to go with each vehicle. This came about in several ordeals, first I loaded up a whole load of junk vehicles a few years back, was told by the guy who had them, none were road worthy and he was sick of them laying around and just take them. So after the drop off, and after going through the crusher, it turns out someone did have a valid title to one of the vehicles and he pressed charges against the salvage yard for theft and got paid damages for his truck, the person who told me to load it and haul it got paid directly from the salvage yard [I was paid to load and haul only] so I avoided prosecution. The second time around, a property owners widow hired me to load up and haul everything in sight to salvage, which I did, turns out her husband had willed with titles four of the vehicles I hauled in for the widow, those too were paid damages to the owner who possessed the titles, I again avoided penalty and prosecution due to only doing what I was told and the vehicles were not considered modern enough and late model enough to warrant a fine or jail time for theft of private property in my state. In talking with the salvage yard, they'd had dozens of cases against them over the years and found out if they requested a junking certificate, they avoided the hassle of the whole deal, not to mention the costs associated with it all. If you can't provide the junking certificate, they won't accept the vehicle, also the check gets written out to whoever the junking certificate is in, not the one selling it to the salvage yard. All the salvage yards in my area are now requiring junking certificates. I sit midway between four or five salvage yards, the closest being 20 miles the farthest being 70 miles, they all pay about the same, so we tend to take the closest one, depending on where I'm loading and hauling it from. Those stealing vehicles to part out and sell the parts, only have to cut up the remaining portion of the vehicles and scatter them out over several loads and nobody will ever look at VIN numbers ever, nor go looking for a stolen vehicle that's been parted out in the first place, who will spend time to go look for a 1975 rusted out ford pickup worth a couple hundred bucks in its whole form, when the thief can part it out, make a few thousand and sell the rest for 50 bucks in scrap out of state where nobody is looking for the remains of a cut up 1975 smashed cab and flattened box from a ford pickup in amongst a semi load of scrap headed to the crusher minutes after it arrives two years after being reported stolen two states away and long forgotten about. I make more money doing the loading and hauling and it also sidesteps the liability issues with stolen vehicles to a certain extent. The last few years, vehicles can be free to me and I won't accept them, I'll only take them if I'm paid to haul them for the person who's trying to give them to me and then only if I know the person really well. All the rest of the drama and crap involving anything titled I want to avoid completely.
Several scrappers here shred them as arrive as well no VINs are recorded unless accompanied by title so have no records to be attacked against.
I had a Toyota that had the VIN stamped about 50 places on the car, on the doors and I don't remember what all, even a trip through the shredder and you would still have several examples of the VIN sticking out like a sore thumb with that car.
Here parts on anything will not sell unless its 5 years old or newer, Driveline parts engines trans dont sell its to hard to swap one out and by then the body is shot. There was a good market on 350 Chevy engines for race cars but thats about dried up. I will not touch a rig that i dont know the true owner any more. I did get one that was left on a property i moved it to a storage lot and let it set then got rid of it i was lucky on that one. I did get in to a deal on a car that was at a rental house. The house owner couldnt get the owner to move it he wanted me to scrap it. House owner ask me several times over a 6 month time period. I went and got it about a hour later i got a call from the sheriff i dont think i had unhooked it from the wrecker yet. They wanted me to take it back he was in a house 50 feet from the last house. I stuffed that car full of old tires and took it back.
The price on shred and car bodies has dropped to $100.00 a ton . I wanted to start hauling cut up 2# iron but i may weight. Non ferrous metals are holding on price so i am working on that stuff.
I hauled a load of nonferrous yesterday. Aluminum was between .60 and .90 a pound the #2 copper was $3.90 a pound. It was about 4 hours on the road i went the back way i had a alot of aluminum and it seemed to catch alot of wind alot of hills and my well used pickup made for a long day.
Our local scrap yard is buying all they can get ahold of, but they are not hauling anything out. They usually have one, sometimes two trucks running steady outbound with up to 6 loads a day. A good friend that scraps for a living says that prices are supposed to go substantially up in the spring, so they are all holding the iron for now. Guess we will have to wait and see.
I have said this before i wish i knew what was going to happen. I have had guys that have made money in the scrap business say it was going up then the bottom fell out of it. I probably will not get alot more hauled between now and summer any way.
All commodities are that way. Grain, minerals, raw stock, energy, etc. My grandpa sold grain in December of 2020 at $4.30/bushel and was very happy about that price at the time. A month later, future contracts were almost $6/bushel. I asked if he was upset, he said "No. It could have gone the other way and went to $3/bushel just as easily." Three times in my career in the oilfield, we were busy as all heck with prices climbing and profits booming. And three times, everything came crashing down with massive layoffs, bankruptcies, and an extended period of low prices following the boom. As a fourth boom cycle is developing, I'm sitting here today, with an open offer to go, and I'm wondering if it'll be worth it. Time will tell. Make money while you can, and set aside for a rainy day.
I guess you have to know when to jump on or off.
I am always thinking about how can they do that. There is a guy that has a yard less than 2 miles from a place he can sell to. He gets a good price there because he can buy scrap off the general public and resell to the yard close by. But he often ships cars 500 miles away . He hires the trucking when he does this. I guess if he makes $200.00 or more shipping them its worth it.
The price is up i almost have a load of #2 loaded . Tomorrow i will buy the tags and permit for my truck . I Hope it stops raining my brother is going on a trip so i can use his big skid steer and trailer next week. I can haul a load a day if its dry and maybe 2 loads some days.
That's one of the issues with Deere's combine telemetry. Deere will know how much grain is being harvested in real time. They can tell which grain by the combine settings, how many times the hopper is full and dumped. Multiply that by all their combines and they have a good idea of the harvest volumes and can project prices.
I was watching a guy on youtube that scraps he said he heard the price could double next month. I dont want to make this political but the war is the only thing going on. I guess i will watch the market closely and get ready. The rain may keep me from doing much for a while any way.
These are the same prices we had in the mid 90's, less than we had in the 2000's, and now our dollar is half or less the 90's value. I'd say there's a lot of room for scrap to go up. What would cause scrap to go up, besides inflation? War, building, road construction, energy prices/carbon legislation- recycled steel uses less energy/carbon. But I'm the last guy you should listen to for commodity advice.
Prices rise because of scarcity and greed. Scrap prices are governed by the demand for steel and the cost of energy. As the cost of petroleum rises, so does the price for everything else. The real question to ask is why is the cost of petroleum rising now in this country when there is no shortage? It's because the producers can do it and you can't do anything about it. There are no checks and balances to that industry.
Oil is a global commodity. It's used everywhere as you've inferred. Consequently, when there is a disruption in supply (war, threat of war, politics) then the price rises or falls depending on the perceived future supply. That's the check in the balance of price and supply. Anybody or country that tries to control the price eventually gets caught by the market. Witness OPEC in the 70's, for a while they had control then the high prices brought other players into the market and they lost control. As for the US oil market, the only difference in US prices vs world prices is transportation and tax costs. When gov't reduces local production, world prices apply. Greed is built-in like our gov't structure regarding power. People want power and money. It's always there but is checked by the market. So greed is not to be blamed. saying greed is a cause is ignoring the truth. Unlike inflation... inflation is always caused by gov't printing money. (In every historical case) In essence, money is a commodity. Too much supply and the value decreases. This applies to everything. Diamonds, gold, water, oil, timber, houses, etc. The inverse is true too. Scarcity increases values.
One thing to keep in mind is that a large number of these "greedy corporations" are held by all of us in our retirement and other broad investment accounts. It's all tied together; I don't know what to think about it, but that's what it is.
It's a logical crutch. Blaming greedy "corporations" is easy and hides the truth which is what some politicians and activists want. Remember corporations don't pay taxes. They collect money for the gov't from their customers. That means you and I. Individuals whose money is extracted from our control and generally wasted. There is none more wasteful than someone spending someone else's money.
Printing money has nothing to do with inflation and never has. Nobody raises prices because there is more money in the system. More money gets put into the system because so much gets locked up by the billionaires in things that produce nothing except for them. Multiple mansions, multi million dollar yachts, super large acreages in land in other countries, hidden bank accounts in other countries and paying off fat cat politicians. One has to wonder now why the government is going to dump millions of gallons of oil into the economy from the reserves. What is the mechanism for that? Are they going to sell it to the oil companies for resale or are they going to just give it to them? Keep in mind the tax payers already bought it once. But then again there is no shortage. Lived through the gas rationing in 72 and 73 when there was a manufactured shortage and a president saying we were going to run out in a few years. Who created the shortage and also benefited by it. Look at it anyway you want, petroleum is not a free market.
I had to go to the city so i took a small pickup load. I was hoping to get enough to pay for my truck licence. I made double that i got $740.00 from this load. The bag on top is cans i hate cans but they always bring enough to pay for gas.You can tell i leave on a dirt road.
Must be non-ferrous then? I haven't checked local prices this year, but I've got a small load piling up around the barn that needs to get cleaned up again.
Yes stainless,car heater motors,some breakage and a bucket of copper. Alot of the small pickup loads were in front of the shop in they way a win win. I need to get a trailer put near my nonferrous pile and work on a load a little at a time.
The news media yesterday reported arrests were made of several people trying to steal copper power lines from those huge towers. Said you could tell they weren't power line people because of the junky looking cars and trucks they were in. They found chain saws, loppers, sawsalls and other cutting tools in the vehicles.
Cell phones have gone up in scrap price---$1.19 a lb---that's a great deal on a $1,000 phone. Better buy enough to get locked in at that price.
I have a box full its time to cash in.
220 a ton for shred last week. Wish it was mine I was hauling.
It dropped $40.00 a ton today. I hauled a load saturday the 9th to find they were closed and left the trailer close by there at my brother. I got his trailer went home and started loading it i thought i would haul it then take it back and haul mine but just got it done now i may unload it. I have to get a bigger trailer some how. I need to haul 10 ton a trip witch i have the truck now.
I think you have a very profound misunderstanding of how things work. I, and everyone I know, raised prices because there is more money in the system. When the government (authorizes) printing of currency (currency is not money) they need to get it out in circulation. This is done by loans. When lots of new currency is put out, loans are easier to get. When loans are easier to get more people have cash to buy. When there is more cash to but, there is more competition to purchase what is available. This makes prices go up. You may be interested in this if you can spare 30 minutes:
You raised prices because the supplies that you needed cost more to you. You had to keep up to maintain your style of life. You do have one part right though. The total value in the system doesn't change, only the shares of that value in the form of dollars changes. My residence that I paid less than $90K for 35 years ago is still the same residence with some maintenance and improvements. The value I get from it is that I can live in it. My tax value right now on the place is well over half a million. It's still the same house. Are you saying the value of the house went up because there are more dollars in the monetary system, ie more money printed? How about thinking that there are less dollars per person in the system now than there was when I bought the place. Here is an interesting link to read. https://money.howstuffworks.com/how-much-money-is-in-the-world.htm Your cartoon is a pretty comical piece of propaganda. How come there is no attribution for the author, producer or the sources for their information?
I did not raise my prices because supplies cost more. I saw the writing on the wall and raised my prices ahead of the curve. The total value in the system does change. It is 'almost' always going up. People invent and produce things. This adds value to the 'system' as you call it. How much land has heavy equipment improved in the last hundred years? Are you implying that there is no additional value in that? The value of you house didn't go up. Lets take a look ate real money. In ancient Rome, an ounce of gold would buy you a nice suit. Today, an ounce of gold is valued at +/- $1900. You can buy a nice suit for that. Money doesn't change value. Currency changes value. The more that is printed, the less it buys (is worth). There are now more dollars per person than any time in history! Quite the opposite of what you think or are implying. My 'comical piece of propaganda' cites all sorts of facts. Would you care to cite any of these and dispute them?
And I skimmed, not read, your comical piece of propaganda. I will directly argue that. "All told, anyone looking for all of the U.S. dollars in the world in May 2021 could expect to find approximately $19.9 trillion in existence, using the M2 money supply definition. If you just want to count the value of notes and coins, there are about U.S. $2.1 trillion worth of notes and coins floating around the globe [source: Federal Reserve ]." Unfortunately, that is a lie meant to deceive people. There is 4 QUADRILLION USD in existence. Most of it is digital. It is in stocks, bonds, and derivatives. This is 'currency' that is falsely called money these days.
If you read the article you might have seen that only one third of all US currency is in the US. So you raised your price to be greedy?
John.. You made my point with your example. Your house didn't increase in value... The money DECREASED in value.
But it didn't decrease because there was more of it.
Consider any commodity... corn, wheat, diamonds, oil, water, etc. Basic rule of supply and demand governs the price of the commodity. more supply than demand and the price drops. Conversely, when the supply drops and the demand increases or just stays the same, the imbalance drives the price increase. Actually, diamonds are abundant, but the DeBeers & Russian cartels limit the supply to keep the price up. Much to the dismay of men and delight of women. ... An article by John Steele Gordon says; "Money is just another commodity, no different from petroleum, pork bellies, or pig iron. So money like all commodities can rise and fall in price depending on supply and demand. But because money is, by definition, the one commodity that is universally accepted in exchange for every other commodity, we have a special term in the price of money: We call it inflation. As the price on money falls, the price of every other commodity must go up ..." Both he and Milton Friedman say inflation is caused by the increase in money relative to output. Our current bout of inflation is caused by the American gov't throwing extra money into circulation via Covid relief, unemployment benefits, and various other give-aways. Present administration currently is proposing to making it worse. They call it "build back better" I call it "Inflation cubed" here's a link to the article https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/inflation-united-states/
Money is only a commodity to the rich. It's value in that case is measured against other countrys' currencies. The current administration policies I have heard bandied about is concerned with paying for maintenance and improvements to infrastructure by closing loop holes in the tax structure, such as bringing dollars back from overseas and collecting taxes from incomes derived from sources other than employment taxes. Friedman achieved prominence in the field of economics by promoting a view that favored the rich at the expense of the poor. Reagan's trickle down theory was a result of Friedman's guidance and has lately been increasingly debunked. Here are some of Friedman's other beliefs quoted from Wikipedia; After retiring from the University of Chicago in 1977, and becoming Emeritus professor in economics in 1983, [18] Friedman was an advisor to Republican President Ronald Reagan and Conservative British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher . [19] His political philosophy extolled the virtues of a free market economic system with minimal government intervention in social matters. He once stated that his role in eliminating conscription in the United States was his proudest achievement. [16] In his 1962 book Capitalism and Freedom , Friedman advocated policies such as a volunteer military , freely floating exchange rates , abolition of medical licenses , a negative income tax and school vouchers [20] and opposition to the war on drugs and support for drug liberalization policies . His support for school choice led him to found the Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice , later renamed EdChoice . [21] [22] Read the whole article here; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Friedman If you want another take on printing money, check out this link with a different opinion; https://theirrelevantinvestor.com/2020/09/08/will-money-printing-cause-inflation/ The best person that I recall that handled the situation of inflation was Paul Volcker who ran the Federal Reserve Board during both the Carter and Reagan administrations. His raising interest rates was largely credited with Carter's loss of the presidency and the reason Reagan fire him because Reagan wanted to run up deficits for military spending. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Volcker I'll still go back to my original premise, prices go up because essential supply costs go up, in our case energy. There is only so much value in the world in the form of Gross Domestic Products. You are correct in that we are spending more money in relation to the GDP, i.e. spending money we don't have. A dollar's value is based on the faith and good will of the American people. It's basically a credit note. If it was based on gold like it was before Nixon tossed the standard, then all you could build would be to the limits of the amount of gold you had. Basically all that gold would already be tied up in long term structures or hidden in overseas bank accounts. Go back to the fact that of all the dollars out there, two thirds are locked up outside of this country. All this to say that the printing of money then is a result of inflation and not a cause of it.
This thread is headed straight to politics. Be a shame for Old Doug to have to start another thread about scrap iron prices with all the real discussion of scrap iron selling so far.
Scrap iron is one of the values I have to consider when appraising most any machine. Sales Comparison, Cost and Income are the value approaches. All are governed by economics. In short we are all going to learn more about economics in the coming months.
Another thing Milton Friedman said (I think) was that for any given set of circumstances, there are an infinite number of explanations. We are seeing that on this thread.
Kind of glad I'm done buying equipment. It's usually me and the scrap guy fighting over a new machine for me!! Sometimes I have lost.
All this thread needs now is some dancing females
I am always lookin Its a tuff time for me but i got a good laugh out of that. That helps at the scrap yard if they have pretty girls at the pay window. If the price stay were its at i will steal go ahead with my plans to clean up.
Plenty of sites all over the net if that's what your looking for -
Party pooper
I had a trailer loaded from when the price was up that i didnt get hauled. I hauled it to day the price had dropped half a cent a pound ? I checked with 2 places same price but i was told about another place its been there for awhile but i had never been by it or heard much about it till the day before. I tryed to call this morning and never got a hold of any on. I called when i got back home and i could have made $160.00 more if i had went there today dang the bad luck. He offered me $240.00 a ton for my #2 i have a load about ready so next week i will try them out. I cant understand how he can pay those prices i hope it works out. The highway i will use to get to the new place there is alot less traffic that will be good and it 7 miles closer. At 3.5 to 4 m p g that will save some to.
I used my GMC truck for the first time this year i have been working on it alot. It got 3.5 towing my pickup home when i got it the best has been 4 mpg but this trip it got over 5 mpg. If it could get 7 that would be great.
I hauled a load of #2 to the new place. They paid more than anyone but the road there was very hilly curvy and ruff. I looked at a pictures of the place it must have been before they bought it there wasnt much room . You drive in pull on the scales pull off and they unload you 20 feet from the scales just a few feet from the road then you circle around on the road back on the scales reweigh back up off the scales were there is just room to park one truck. They paid $245.00 a ton but they said price is going down tomorrow. I cleaned them out of Ben Franklins . I took a different way home it was longer but better road.
They told me over and over its dropping i called today its the same price.
Its dropped. I hauled a load of barbwire today shred $100.00 a ton i have one more load of wire i will be glade to get rid of it no matter what the price. I have 3 cars to haul then i will hold off till i have to or price changes.
Is it worth breaking a generator or electric motor apart to sell the copper separately when scrapping? I have a 30Kw PTO generator that doesn't make proper voltage. I replaced the voltage regulator and it still isn't anywhere close to correct. Very low. At this point, I've had this "project" for 4 years now and it's just collecting dust. I tried selling it whole, thinking someone else like me would be interested, but I have had zero interest on it. Not even a low offer. At this point, I'm debating how much copper is inside and whether I can recoup the $400 I paid for purchase. I really don't want to scrap it, but I know not everything is worth saving either.
Wish you were a lot closer lol. I would take that off your hands in a heart beat. Not sure myself what your best option is but there is a company out of St Louis that could repair that generator.
I run a generator shop and have a lot of rotor and stator scrap and nobody seems interested in it. Lots of copper, but lots of iron mixed in too.
The local scrapyard will buy motors and generators. They only pay like 10 cents per pound for them, but they pay ~$2.50/pound for dirty copper. I really dont want to scrap the unit out, but after 4 years, I've realized it must not be a big priority for me to actually get it fixed. There is a generator shop about an hour from here, but I have not put out a call to them yet.
I would take the generator apart. The last one i scrapped after it was off the engine took about 3 hours to take apart. But this all depends off how much free time you have and what your time is worth. I bought a generator at a place were i was cleaning up i cant remember what i gave for it but it was the last thing i bought . I remember thinking he wanted alot for it i didnt know how it would work out but i had did ok on that job and would have bought it no matter what. I took it apart it payed me over $100.00 a hour to do it i made out very good on that deal.
It must be alot different were you live for the wright price there are alot of guys here that would buy your scrap and clean it. I know guys that buy motors and generators from scrap yards clean them and sell it back to them.
Do these guys have day jobs, or are they doing this to support their meth habit? It would sure be nice if some of these degenerates would actually join the workforce.
Its mainly retired guys and guys on disability that need extra money or some thing to do.Its a good deal for the scrap yard they sell AC units to them for 00.15 a pound then buy back the cleaned stuff.
The last load of shred i sold was $95.00 ton but its been i think 3 weeks ago. I have been cleaning up some stuff that was in the way so i will haul a load monday. The non ferrous stuff has been holding ok i have hauled 2 small loads because i had to get parts and it was on the way.
I took back a tiny bit of scrap yesterday . Sheet steel was .06 cents a pound , #2 copper 2.95 extruded aluminum was .29 .... was expecting the steel to be a bit more then that .
I wish i would have gotten .06 a pound i got .045 a pound. I hope it dosent go down any more. If i could get .06 i would work on a cleanup job it will not pay alot but getting in over will be worth something.
I do have one small advantage in that the scrap yard is 5 minutes away from me but any less then .06 lb for short steel is not worth my time or my back to load . I do have those 2 old diesel mercedes to hual in regardless of price , city wont leave me alone about them .
I am holding on to some stuff for a better price but the real junk i am hauling regardless of price.
2 DIESEL MERCEDES! can't you find a bigger fool, I mean ambitious person who would at least haul them away for scrap price and save you the hauling and pay for some of the hassle of dealing with crazy people?
As easy as that would be to do any scrap money is going into my pocket for a project i have.
From what i have found there is alot less crazy scraping than there is selling a prodject.
I have a load I want to clean up around the yard before winter. Local scrapyard quoted me $137/gross ton this morning. Copper was $2.57/pound for #2 I'll probably haul off what I have just to have it gone, but I wish I would have done it back in May when it was $215/ton.
Its always interseting to see what other parts of the country are paying for scrap. I guess the closer to the foundry the better.
I could see that. About $0.015/pound difference. It was $.095/pound, 6 months ago. I'm only about 90 minutes away from foundries in Indiana, and about that far away from foundries on the east side of Michigan. I have 3 scrap yards I can sell to within a 30 minute drive, and others farther out, though it usually doesn't add to the check any to drive farther away by the time I pencil in the fuel cost.
If i had a Dollar for every hour i spent trying to figure were to go with stuff and when to sell.
In my area it has more to do with monopolies than it does distance to the foundry, certain companies own all the scrap yards in x number of miles so there is no competition, once you get to an area yards are competing for scrap business, the prices go up considerably, but its not economical to haul anything less 80,000 lb loads that are prepared that distance, to the larger towns or cites that have three or four competing scrap yards in them. If you have enough sorted and sized, you can then bypass the local scrap yards and haul directly to the foundry yourself. Many of the local salvage yards do that, once they have enough castings from engine blocks and axle or differential housings, they haul direct to the foundry, but not many have several semi loads of castings to haul at one time, same goes for crushed aluminum or stainless unless your a manufacturer of something specific.
I haven't been wanting to haul much for others but i hauled 3500# of 1/2 conduct pipe i needed to go to that town any way. I got $90.00 a ton. I have a bigger clean up i have to do this month i wish the price was better. I may try to keep a trailer or two loaded and see what happens.
I thought i would haul to a different place the last 2 loads i should have called around. The first trip i got $90.00 a ton second 4 days later i got $80.00. I was talking to a buddy and he said he got $100.00 at the place were i was going that would have been enough more to pay for my fuel. He also told me about a way to get there without going through the town it is close to thats the main reason i dont like going there i dont like going through that town.
$85.00 ton yesterday in Peoria, IL for shredder steel scrap.
I hauled a load of non ferrous Monday to a place 60 miles away . They also buy steel but have never been any more than the local places i haul to but i ask and they were paying $40.00 more a ton?
I hauled a load of shred to the local place $100.00 a ton . I wish it was higher but i am hauling some real crappy stuff . I am getting rid of it and i haul 2 tons or so a trip. It cost around $30.00 to make the trip not counting wear and tear but my trucks were worn out along time ago.
I have a large pile of shred on the school I'm tearing down but it isn't worth them paying me to haul it off. Might as well leave it piled till I get the rest of the buildings tore down. It might be cheaper to just give it away, it's bar joist and rebar so really hard to get much of a heavy load. I might see if the dumpster company will haul it in the 40 yard cans I get for dump material. They are right accross the road from the scraper. Even if the city breaks even they are money ahead.
Hauling grain the other night, I drive by a neighbor's house for the 4th time that day. Between loads, they must have cleaned out the garage and now there was a pile of miscellaneous metal at the end of their driveway, including a shiny snowblower. I'm guessing the engine wouldn't start. I parked my grain truck, grabbed my pickup and went back to grab the snowblower and there was a guy with a tandem landscape trailer piled with scrap loading everything up already. Less than 4 minutes had passed and air already missed out. My stepdad or brother could both use a good snowblower too. I find most of these small engine issues are dirty carburetors or broken wires that people don't know how to diagnose themselves. Edit: I've been so dang busy with harvest that I haven't even touched the scrap pile at my house yet. Harvest is busy, but going well so I'll probably still have time once we're done to get my yard cleaned up.
I hauled a tank wagon bed off yesterday it was from the 50s. The marker lights were glass witch i saved. I only got $60.00 a ton for it i had been wanting to get rid of it for years but i wanted to take some stuff off of it . I am very glade its gone and it makes me fill like i am getting something done.
That's why you stop and find a way to Beverly Hillbilly it onto the big truck. Done that once or twice, then there is no need to go back.
I had a full load and nothing to use as rigging with me. I had a flash of a thought of parking in our field next to their driveway, but reasoned my truck was close enough I could get it quick.
I hauled a 20' long camper awning stick out of the trunk of my car once.
I was at a customer and saw they were getting rid of some gas cylinders, batteries and misc treasure. I thought the sheriff would stop me on my way back with all that treasure, for hauling garbage to the dump without a cover. The truck was already full at the time but no way I could leave that treasure to be scrapped.
I've been called Sanford and Son before!
I just ended up with a scrap o2 cylinder. My dad had a 48" O2 bottle in his barn forever. I dug it out and took it to the local gas supplier to see if I could exchange it. They showed me the dates. it was manufactured in 1937, last hydro test 1996. I paid to have the tank hydro tested ($35) and see if it was still good, just got it back this week and it failed. It had severe rust pitting in one area and failed visual. Given how it was stored, I guess I'm not surprised. I brought it home. I'm going to use it to practice my torch skills on, and then make a bell out of the upper portion.
I have seen high pressure cylinders a lot older than that and the neck absolutely covered in retest stamps. Rust is the only thing that seems to kill them when stored in the mud for years like that.
I got 2 oxy cylinders at a yard sell one was usable the other was pitted. I also bought a co2 bottle on a keg setup it was full i used it on my mig. I need to send the co2 cylinder in and get it checked and filled i now have 2 migs. One mig is small i found a small cylinder at the dump years ago i looked at it the other day and its pitted.
You sound like my kind of guy Old Doug. I scrounge things all the time. Just bought a 500 gallon lp tank and traded for another one. I know one of them is good I'll clean it up and use it but the other one is going to be a diesel tank. Both of them might be. 350 dollars for a 500 gallon tank was a no brainer. Both are the same place I just pushed a house and buildings in. I have to dig a small hole for the other one so I can pick them both up at once. I have a whole bunch of channel iron on that were brick lentles on the school I'm taking down and can get them for scrap or less. Man never has to much good iron laying around.
With the price of new stuff its hard not to save stuff that you can use some time.
Last new iron I bought was a couple strips 3/8 by 2 twenty footers was terrible. I don't see how you can build anything at those prices.
I am building part of a tool box the frame is scrap stuff but i built 1 drawer . I have $60.00 in the 1 drawer. I have a hard time trying to figure out the cost of stuff when it comes to buy or build . I could have bought a old tool box and cut it apart cheaper. I think for the most part the days of custom built stuff is about over.
December 5, 2022. Just cleaned out the barn... Shredder steel paid $5 per CW ($100 / ton) at a local major scrap yard. Pittance, but the barn looks a lot better. And the traffic at the scale was light. When price was $12 per CW, the line around the scale was agonizingly long.
I am back on the shop clean out i am trying to get rid of as much as i can. I moved another tote to the shop yesterday because i was saving stuff because of it being easyer than scrapping it now i have no excuse. Its been $100.00 a ton so far.
I think most are around $120.00 on shred . I ask about #2 steel and its around $130.00 . I hauled a load of no ferrous and its stayed about the same. I was going to start loading a load of #2 thinking it could go up between now and summer but who knows. I guess i will stay on the non ferrous for now but it takes alot of work to get it ready.
I hauled a load Friday it was $120.00 for shred if it gets were i can load drys up or freezes up i will haul more i wish i could haul one load a week. I went to a HVAC shop they have a load of stuff alot of non ferrous they said i could have but i will give them something for it so they remember he the next time.
I haven't called lately. I have a small bin of non-ferrous I've collected and about dump trailer load of ferrous to haul. I'm in no rush. I wanted it gone before snow came. That didn't happen. Now we have thawed, muddy ground with about 8" of snow on top. My random pile can sit til spring thaw now.
Some one told me it was going up in march. I sure wish that was true and i could be ready for it but i cant remember any ones prediction about the scrap market coming true.
I hauled a load yesterday i got $140.00 a ton . I wish i had time and it wasnt so muddy.
I sold a load of sheet aluminum for .48 a pound i was happy with that. Shred is holding at $140.00 a ton it could be a little better but thats way better than $100.00 a ton.
Shred is up to $175.00 i need to check on #2 prepared if its up i need to haul mine off.
They are giving $230.00 for #2 . I am almost done with the bin job but i think its going to start raining agin. I hope to get some hauled .
The first picture is what didnt come down with the leg.
Hauled 18 tons of #2 yesterday. Maybe 4 more left. I am glade to see it go at a good price i dont know if i will start another pile or just sell every thing now on for shred.
I have a similar collection with a similar stagnation point. I haven't cared enough to call, but my local yard is PACKED, both with material and patrons. Must be coming up?
I hope it holds through next month why did it go up when its so muddy? If i could get out 15 more tons i would fill alot better but unless it just gos to nothing i will steal be cleaning up. I may have to chain up my skid steer.
I hauled a load of non ferrous stuff yesterday. I had the trailer already load so i loaded a pallet of electric motors on the pickup and topped it off with some ACSR. I was very happy with what i got about 2 weeks pay at a regular job. I wasnt going to use this old pickup like i have been. I didnt plan on going to far from home or towing much . It is now in ok mechanical shape its no power house and it came home unloaded better than going with a load. I wish it was 2wd i would go all out on it and fix the rust but its doing the job i bought it for and i may fix the body someday.
Some pictures of years ago hauling.
Hauled a load this morning they had a sign saying it was droping $20.00 monday. I think and hope it stays the same through April its is steal a ok price.
A somewhat local steel yard/scrap buyer closed their doors for good yesterday. Another good business gone. Now I have to travel out of state to buy steel/sell scrap. You’ve seen the T-rex. Here’s the bittersweet story behind Rutland’s iconic Mac Steel Even if you’ve never done business with Mac Equipment and Steel in Rutland, you’ve probably seen their whimsical sculptures out front along Route 7. After 70 years, the iconic three-generation business is closing. www.vermontpublic.org
The price has stayed at $175.00 for shred all month but April is going buy fast. I need about 3 more week of dry weather to get to were i want to be. I have one more load to finish up at the grain bins . That job has been a money maker but its so far away i will really have to think before i take on something like that agin.
I try to haul a load everyday sometimes only 4000# but i am making some progress . Dont worry these pictures are before i secured the load. If i can and i do alot i cover the load with woven wire fencing or cattle panels . I am wearing my f600 out . It will pass a Dot inspection but its showing its age. I am not sure what i will do its about the handiest thing i have.
I hauled a load of brakage this morning . They said shred had dropped $10.00 a ton but should stay steady all month. Gas went up 0.20 a gallon.
I am going to haul a load of non ferrous this morning . I know it has gone down and i hope i dont have to haul more till the price gos back up . I hope to work on the stuff i have and get it ready for when it gos back up. Gas went back down it was up just a short time ??
Right now they are offering 220/ton (CDN) for over size steel. Im thinking its time to start sending some of my non running cranes in.
I try to move as much stuff as i can when the price is ok you know as well as i do it can drop and not come back for a long time. I have sold more in the last 60 days than i sold last year.
Shred is at $150.00 a ton witch is not bad. I heard copper has took a big hit down. I have been hauling cars for a buddy i have one more load then a load or 2 of lose shred. This place is 20 miles from home 40 miles to the scrap yard. I need to get back to my own cleanup.
I am going to haul off the last of my aluminum irrigation pipe today. I saved back 7 pipes for some one but they never came to get them. Its not much of a load but it will help in the clean up. They are going to pay 0.65 a pound that is the most i got out of any of it . I had to cut it in 3 foot lengths if i had alot more of it i would have found a better way to cut it. I had a lot of this pipe and sold it to 3 different places every. The first place wanted it in one length the second didnt care but i cut it in half then this place wants to put it in gaylord boxes .
We have two different places locally for non-ferrous. One place requires that everything fit in a gaylord box. The other place is a lot bigger and uses 20 to 40 yard cans for their stuff so length has never been an issue with them. Was the irrigation pipe damaged? Around here, farmers are snatching up every stick they can for irrigation pipe and paying more than scrap value for certain. We have a wagon load of pipe that doesn't get used much, but we won't dare get rid of it because it comes in handy.
No it was good but every one here is going to a roll hose. I am not disagreeing with you but in my 40+ years hauling scrap i have heard so many guys crying because something is being scraped but its what it is. Often I think surely some one could use that but after spending a lot of time trying to sell no one wants it.
Some places don't care about length on scrap but the scrap market changes day to day. I have sold stuff to one yard for years one day all the sudden they change and its like why didn't you do this or you should have know this. The scrap deal has been good to me and I am glade I can do it but if I could I get out and never go back I would.
Shred is down to $130.00 a ton . The owner said it should stay there till summer is over then we all had a good laugh.
I hauled 2 loads i had stuff that i hauled in and didnt want to unload it and reload it later on . The price was down to $120.00 for shred . You could tell it was down when i got to the yard they had cleaned up a lot of stuff around there . I was glade to get rid of it but it makes you think about should i stock pile it till it gos back up and will it go back up or how long till it gos back up?
China is not buying currently, none of US Steel yard either as UAW threatening strike.
I didnt want to sit around all day yesterday but also didnt think i had enough stuff to make a load . I started loading and ended up with a ok load.
I went last night and helped a buddy load scrap from a place that is about to be sold. It happens a lot a place will go up for sale it will sell then the sellers will want the scrap hauled off . It then will be a hurry deal but the scrap will be free. The guy cleaning up the place is a good friend that i have know for 40+ years i am trying to get ready to be gone a couple of days but i was glade to help him. The price for shred is $120.00 a ton now.
I hauled a load of shred yesterday it was down to $110.00 i bet it gos down more. Prepared is at $190.00 a ton i have some to cut up its a lot of work and i always wonder if its worth it.
Took a load in yesterday, shred was $140
The Chinese are still buying iron ore and their iron ore stockpile is at a 3 year low. Despite the problems in the Chinese economy with property losses and COVID hangovers, their economy is still powering along, seems like a ramp-up in their EV industry is making up for losses in steel demand elsewhere. I think their railway-building has slowed down a little, but it's still ongoing. However, their sagging property market has reduced the demand for steel in building construction. But they're spending lots on energy projects and shipping and manufactured metal exports are increasing, so the net effect is little difference in steel demand and use for China. China takes nearly all our scrap here and demand is steady. Iron ore prices have been forecast to fall to US$85 tonne for the last couple of years - but it hasn't happened. Iron ore prices rose 4% last week and are around US$117 tonne. This is doing wonders for our economy and for the iron ore miners profits, they don't know what to do with their money, they'll need a Scrooge McDuck sized money bin before long. I can't see much downside to iron and steel prices - new steel here is like gold, you just about need an armed guard for it! I cannot believe the prices for it, the cost of steel buildings here has nearly doubled in under 4 years. Robust exports, stable domestic demand keep China's steel production strong in 2023 Growth of steel exports over Jan Aug exceeds output growth China's domestic steel demand remains largely steady in 2023 Robust steel exports from China have emerged as a major driver supporting steel www.spglobal.com
I started cutting truck tires of rims this weekend scrap the rims then cut tires can go to trash place. I may have 20 it seems like a lot of work. A buddy came buy yesterday and wanted to look around . We walked around and looked at about everything . I would like to think 4 more loads of shred would get it but i dont know.
The price on shred is up to $150.00 a ton. I am still trying to clean up so late yesterday i started loading a load of stainless steel and a load of shred . I also was piling up boards to burn while i was at it. Its pretty muddy . I wish the weather would hold and nothing else came along so i could haul a lot.
I will be bringing in my track chains and rollers at some point. What should I call that when I am asking for pricing? Should it bring a fair amount more than shred price?
If you cut the chain up in short pieces it could go as number 2 prepared .
Yesterday i hauled a small load of dirty stainless steel . It would have all fit in a pickup but i had it loaded in a small trailer. It was the kind of stuff that you wonder if you should just throw it on a load of shred and forget about it. I had planned on hauling it because i had to go close buy the scrap yard anyway . I thought if i got my gas money back that would be ok but to my surprise i got close to $400.00 i was happy with that. I almost have a load of shred loaded i may work on that today.
here it's 3' and under, and 1/8" or thicker, $200/ton vs $140 for unprepared or heavy torch.
Ours is similar on 3x2’ largest piece max 100#
About the same size here for #2 prepared . I think one time i had a guy at the yard say some stuff i had was big but they took it anyway. We are always thinking and talking "Is it worth cutting up" When i was really into scrap i would throw stuff that could go as is in a pile and i also cut up alot of stuff . The last pile i had was over 20 tons and was in the way. Then that stuff about has to be hand loaded into the loader bucket it will not scoop up very good. Every time i mess with it i think never agin it was more money but it wasnt worth it for the work. It takes a lot of cuts to make a ton but i will probably try it agin sometime.
The scrap business is not always easy to figure out to many what should i do and when should i do it. How much time and money can i spend on this pile of scrap? Is it worth it to process this pile and make #2 out of it? What is the best way to haul it and how much can i spend on trailers? Some times i think i could have been rich if i could have found the right answers .
I hauled a load of shred last weekend and got $160.00 a ton. It has rained some and holidays will make it tuff to get more hauled . I could haul some aluminum i would haul it with my pickup and trailer but my pickup clutch is slipping i need to work on that now.
I hauled a load of cars and got $165.00 a ton today. It was very cold today and i didnt know if the scrap yard would have anything started. I didnt have the best trip a lot of traffic and i had problems keeping my chains and straps tight . I got very concerned and said a prayer about the way i had some stuff loaded . It was one of those loads where I should have known better and now I do.
Yeah OD I think we've all had one of those loads. One time we decided to move a 321CLCR with hydro thumb, QC and 48" bucket on our 54K tag trailer. It was early on Saturday morning and only a few miles... I was following in a pickup behind the tandem dump and when the combo took the first right turn I could feel the trailer stress. At that time I made a real and serious prayer to our Lord and Savior that if he would just see us morons to our location I would never, ever do that again. We made it to our destination safely. The Lord held up his end of the bargain and I will hold up my end until the day I go in the ground.
I hauled a big load of cars Saturday . I got back and thought i would drag out a grain truck to haul off sometime. I ended up getting it ready and loaded. I have got several things hauled off. I thought i would slow down on Dad's stuff and work on my get rid of pile. I think one or two more loads and i will have my stuff under control.
One day at a time Doug. It's like eating an elephant - one bite at a time.
Your write . Also I have been jumping around taking a bit here and there that may get the elephant gone but it makes a mess. I keep thinking this deal should have come with an instruction manual or i should have read a book on how to do it. I think 1 or 2 more loads will make a big difference . In the future i hope i am smart enough i dont save back stuff like i have. I have several good friends that have stuff and if they could would save more just dont have the room. Its hard to talk to them when they talk about wishing or needing something they got rid of. I am not that way i just think about what they will leave some one to deal with someday.
Hauled the truck today i heard the price had dropped. I got $145.00 a ton $20.00 less than the last load. Next week i have to go to a buddys place and haul a load. I am not saving it till the price gos up. If it does like it does most of the time it will drop more.
I don't know what scrap price is, but I'm hauling a load off next week. Hauling off my scrap has been on my to do list for too long. I've got a partial load on my dump trailer from a barn I finished. I'm going to load the rest this afternoon and haul off tomorrow morning to be rid of it.
I dont think i ever met so many loads when i left the yard Saturday. Makes me wonder if it isnt going to take a big drop ? I will keep hauling at least the shred stuff as long as i get something out of it.
I hauled off my shredder scrap this afternoon, $175/Long ton (2240 pounds) I still have some aluminum and copper at the house, but not much of either so I left it alone for today.
I went yesterday afternoon and got this load . I hope to haul it off in the morning. I really am trying not to haul a lot for other people but things happen.
The price dropped another $5.00 . They have a big pile were i have been hauling to.
I was surprised that there wasn't much of a pile at all when I hauled my load Tuesday. They probably just sold it off and trucked it out, but I don't think I've ever seen their pile so small.
Lucky if places don't CHARGE here for taking scrap
I am going Next week and empty the load on my 16' trailer, is all Tins rate and will be pretty low. Do have the Aluminum Scraps from the KW and the old wheels from the Ford, as well a Bucket of Aluminum odds and ends housings. No copper at this time.
I dont know if they got a price locked in or are going to save it till it gos back up. It never went well when i stock piled it.
I just throw my scrap in the trash. In case your wondering, the bottom of those wheel bins can and will fall out if you put several hundred lbs of semi truck leaf springs in it
We call them dumpsters!!
I'm in a different boat. There are several steel and iron foundries within a 2 hour drive of where I live. From what I've learned, thats where the bulk of our scrap steel goes, thus the higher demand.
I can't wait to see this nasty pile/piles of crap a friend owns scrapped, his place is just a mess. Old logging arches, piles and piles of old axle housings, frames just nothing but junk and a eye-sore--Those old KW's--there isn't enough good pieces to even make one. I want to be there videoing when those go--most of those are so rotten the paint is holding the metal together. It will take a solid 6 months to a year to clean it up, unless a shear is brought in. *
Bait for the fix er up crowd . I need to find the fixer up crowd that likes cranes. Theres about 15 more hiding around the yard
I'm talking the 100 gallon or whatever trash bin on plastic wheels.
I could use a set of log bunks for a log truck I have Previous owner just stacked what would stay i guess. Had a flatbed they never bothered to attach to the frame
I did that once, the bottom of the bin did not fall out, but the crash it made when it hit the inside of the garbage truck was tremendous. He must have been empty when he tipped them in over the top.
We threw an old Cummins 220 block in the dumpster. Same deal. Probably dented the floor of the truck. Whoops
Had the grandiose honor to unlock a Compactor blade in a Leach body, was bound up on a small pile of engine valves from a trash can. Lovely day at the dump.
Rust museum.
Same, but was McNeilus body, piece of rebar stuck between the blade and the body with a big hunk of pointy concrete attached was tearing a hole in fairly new truck. Had to exit landfill back to shop, cutting torch and loader chained to blade remedied that mess. New equipment manager not impressed.
We used a shove dozer in the Dump as truck was Gate end up and around half exited, used a old utility pole to dislodge the damn packer/discharge blade then proceeded to wade thru nasty land to clear the disaster.
Yuck, aah the memories, the smell of decomp and methane still makes me chub a little.
Been there NOT going back!!!
Ah--a 20 lb carp bloated laying in the hot afternoon sun-----ah the smell.
More like laying in the truck seat and a school of them. Some days, long ago.
Even more better trying to get that stank out of two 100 lb. labs that took turns rolling in said funky fish. Zoiks.
Garbage, old rank pieces of molding whatever, even restaurant dumpsters that smelled like puke. The one that always got me were when had mounds of disposable diapers. Could work up a good heave from those nearly every time!!
You just described the back compartment of some mini van/diaper wagons.
This is the recycling channel, remember when cotton diapers were recyclable and ya needed diaper pins to hold 'em on? Last time I saw a diaper pin it was some freak with a mohawk trying to **** off his parents had one stuck through his cheek as a fashion statement.
Need my trailer back from Scrap organization so off to Rosebud MO scrapyard. Prices are way down but Is Gone. $150/t tins $.90lb for large clean aluminum $.35lb for sheet aluminum $1.00lb 70% copper wire But should have seen the looks!! 24240 loaded 23100 empty!!!
And you didn't have pilot cars?
I hauled a bread truck body. I sold it for aluminum breakage .20 a pound I was happy with that. I thought and thought about cutting it up for clean but that would have been a lot of work and I have plenty to do and its hard to figure what my time is worth .
Got 140 ton for shred at Mexico Mo., all the other scrap yards are paying around 110 close to me. Had a farm I was cleaning up for a guy and he gave all the scrap to me. Worked great since I already had equipment there to load it.
Took some shred steel to Greensboro, NC for $130 / ton
The price for shred has been between $120/ $160 this spring . I took some batteries in and got .10 a pound . They were in the way glade to see them gone. I am loading a load of shred today .
Fellas, What would be the best approach or options for scrapping these old dry bulk ISO tanks? The frames are steel with steel cast corners. The vessel is T316 6mm thick stainless, 5300 gallon capacity. The skins are aluminum with rock wool insulation underneath. 7500 lbs total weight. Tanks are clean with all clean certification.
To get any decent value of it will have to separate out and scrap in smaller pieces. SS brings better money that base steels, aluminum clean and shred is still pretty high. Otherwise better off to sell on bids as a Trailer for whomever thinks can mod it to what they require. Being a old Flexi Van Conex frame might make more coin, can be amazed at what people will go on a bidding frenzy for a must have.
I think DMiller is right on that, I've worked tearing stuff apart only to learn someone would give three times the money for it whole. If you have time that's the way I would go, you can always salvage them later.
If you have the equipment, separate the tank from the trailer. As it's being scrapped, a mobile dry bulk tank isn't worth much. A Flexi-van trailer maybe.
Thanks, This one happened to be sitting on a leased container chassis. They had a rough life hauling salt, so the frames are rotted beyond repair and won’t pass a CSC inspection. These were made by Brenner in the early 90’s. Like you guys say, it’s probably best to sell them locally. The vessel would make a great underground doomsday shelter. Septic tank? (;
Like a lot of stuff i deal with to many questions ? Is is easyer to sell as is but what is the cash difference what is your time worth ???
Scrap it is... Anybody breaking a ship or do you have a primary scrap yard within hauling distance? Look for a facility with a shear or something to pull it apart. I doubt it's worth your time to separate the metals and deal with the insulation. You might have to treat the insulation as haz mat. Definitely... if you manually take it apart, a respirator is good for your health. From the Lancet: ..."We recommend that people who work with rockwool should be followed up with chest radiographs...." https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(05)73126-3/fulltext
I had a trailer loaded with aluminum breakage i wanted to use so i hauled it yesterday . I also had a bunch of copper . Copper is at a great price right now . I came home and started working on some more copper . I will sell another load of copper this week what ever is easy to get ready. I got $3.60 a pound for number 2 copper.
I hauled another load of copper . I am trying not to bring anything home but i pulled a guys dump trailer home and loaded that load and a small car with a little bit of stuff up on my truck. They said copper may go down a little this week. I have two 5 gallon buckets of copper i will take with the load of steel.
I was told electric motors are up . I have a ton or two that i was saving to strip out but i have plenty of stuff to do so i loaded them up.It was one of those deals were should i keep and spend time on or sell and get out of the way. There on the truck and out of the way.
I took a load of aluminum and stainless yesterday the price is up . I hope to get another load ready this next week. It would be great to get my pile cleaned up.
I hauled a load of shred Saturday it brought $130.00 a ton. I will probable start loading another load today. I started cutting up some heavy stuff for number #2 prepared it brings more money than shred but it takes time and money Oxy/propane to do it. I have some stuff i couple things i know i will cut up but its hard to figure is the extra time /money worth it? The place i have been going to because it is a better trip traffic wise stopped buying stuff for the last few weeks . I not for sure if it was because there lot was getting so full or what? I sure hope they reopen . The place i went to this time the highway there dosent seem to have a speed limit my old stuff is happy at 55/60. I got passed several times where it wasn't very safe.
I hauled a load to the place i like the best 2 weeks ago . I didn't really understand why they had been closed . I tried to call them this week no answer ? I sure hope they don't stay closed . I hauled 2 loads to the other place one load of shred $120.00 a ton and then Saturday i hauled a small load of copper and aluminum that stuff was in the way easier to load sell than to keep moving it around but the price wasnt the best there.
About a month ago a guy called and wanted me to put a trailer at a building he owns in town to load with scrap. He lives a couple hours away but farms close by the town . I had hauled a lot of stuff from his farm a year ago. Being 30 days had gone by i was wondering about my trailer but i have trailers for this kind of deal so it wasnt that big of a deal. Then i get a call from another scrap hauler asking me if one of my trailers was on a farm. He told me this farm had sold and he was hauling some stuff off. It sold to a Amish guy . I called him and left a message he called me back saying he thought the scrap on the trailer should be his? I told him i didnt care unload it . A week later last night he called and said it was unloaded . What a deal but there are a lot of things that can happen like this in the scrap iron business .
I went to that farm and got my trailer . It was kind of a mess but nothing was torn up. Its hard to go through some of these deals and not want to get out of the business.
I called the yard i like to go to yesterday and they said what they were giving for shred $115.00 if you can dump or $100.00 if you can't a ton. I hope to have a dump load ready to go this weekend.
I hauled a load this morning of shred got $110.00 a ton.
Seems really low for demands being up unless mills are stalling out.
The price never makes sense . Some times I think its supply and demand then I think other times they are messing with us ?
The price is back up to $150.00 a ton for shred . I hauled a load earlier this week and am going to haul one today. Since I am trying to clean up our farm I don't want to unload anything from any of the clean ups I do. A place I went to yesterday had a lot of wiring . I guess I will save it back thinking maybe I can strip the insulation off it and make more money later on. I really get to thinking about stuff that needs striped or taken apart to get more money out of in the long run is it worth it ?
Know 2 guys that will spend several hours at a time stripping wire for better #1 bright price, both are "semi retired" and have oodles of free time. From the way it sounds you don't have that luxury. How much is shiny copper worth compared to time spent stressing about it? You could always burn it for #2 and the fire pit will make lovely blue and green flames for years to come.
I don't think the scrap yards will take burnt wire anymore.
I just got back . I was going to check on prices and forgot. It looks like around $2.00 less a pound. I have heard that before but I see that they still have a price for it. I don't like burning it and haven't burned any for years.
I haven't burned any either in years, I think the neighbors are glad too!
I was looking into a machine buy or build to strip wire ? That would not make it real easy but it would be Easier . Its been several years but a place I sold some stuff to bought a machine I think they didn't use it a lot wasn't worth it.
One of the cats I mentioned earlier has a vevor chinesium unit. He says it was cheap and works amazingly well. He's a sparky by trade and saves everything he can scrap.
I was "advised" by the local scrap yard that my wire would have done better prisewise if it had accidentally fallen into a fire and burned clean to bare copper prior to me bringing it in. There was air quotes, a couple winks, and a generous nod given.
It's defiantly easier to strip it with fire!
40 years ago a friend and I "liberated" a bunch of telegraph wire (that good bright green stuff) from the poles along an abandoned rail track, most was already laying on the ground so we just followed up the pole and trimmed 'er off. Took all that perfect, neatly coiled green gold to the local scrap yard that we had taken scrap to many times before. The dude at the yard looked in the back of my truck and started laughing, he informed us that he should be calling the feds (railroad property) but if we burned all the green off on say a tire fire or something he would take all we had. We made a lotta loot that summer...
As scrapped in the 1970s landed TWO awesome contract jobs, RR Spur abandonment wanted all the Poles, Lines and other assorted gear for five miles removed, gave my partner and I free hand as to Salvage and scrap. Was told the wire would be worthless Copper CLAD steel. Guy that told me that Wanted us to walk away, wire was Solid 6Ga Copper MILES of it, all the glass insulators were Ancient, Cobalt Blue, Deep Green blue, many just the generic White but were 'Different; in that the Wire wrapped around a twist thread slot on the Glass, those that were undamaged sold to Antique dealer in Joplin, nice chunk a change, Copper paid ALL the disposal fees on poles Plus profit. Same old RR set us up for another spur they were abandoning, Same end result.
Did encounter some of the copper clad, probably newer wire used for repair, fortunately all you had to do was the bend test, steel wire not as soft/easily bendable. Found out the hard way when same yard rat stuck a magnet to one of our coils. DOH...
Had a deal today. I had a bumper hitch trailer loaded with scrap and over 1000# of batteries in the bed of my pickup. I called yesterday to make sure the place I like the best would be open today. It was a safe load but heavy enough I didn't want to go any farther than I had to. I got to the place and pulled on the scale . It looked kind of strange around there . A guy came out of the office and said they were not buying shred today??? I told him I called yesterday. He said they had a fire last night and it burnt up a crusher . They would buy the batteries . We got them unloaded I ask if the place in town was steal in business yes they were. I did sell stuff to them years ago but the last time I was there they told me to go down in the yard and throw off the stuff I had buy my self small load but it was muddy and I every thing but got stuck . I hadn't been back. I thought real hard about driving to another place witch would be around a 60 mile extra trip. The place I didn't like doesn't have a scale so you have to weigh at a Grain ,feed store close buy . It's been maybe 20 years since I was there last. I headed there had a little trouble remembering were the place was to weigh at . I found it but the scales were gone place closed up looked like 50 years ago. I tried calling the scrap yard 2 times second time I called the wrong number but they know the yard and said they did have there own scales. I drove over there no scales have to go to a place down the street. I found that place got weighed . Headed back to the yard . One of there workers told me were to go. Got there by a track hoe . He said we would hand unload it? It was muddy and one thing was so heavy we tied a chain to it to the hoe and put the pickup in 4x4 had trouble but got it unloaded. Went back to weigh and had to wait to get anyone to help me but finally paid $5.00 and got a ticket. I had several things going on and need the trailer I was worked up over everything that made it worse. Its over now and I learned a couple things that hopefully make things Easier in the future.
I was told $6/100# today for shred. $120/ton? Seems low.
Better haul all you can. That's like $150 for oversize. Around here, shred is $80.
My father in law cleaned up his scrap pile at the dealership this week. He said Drums/Rotors were $230/ton and shred was $175/ton. He said he hauled in almost 5,000 pounds of rotors from the last years worth of brake jobs. He's just glad his pile is gone before snow season starts.
I got $130/ton for shred . I have one more clean up I have to do . I will keep hauling unless I have to pay to get rid of scrap.
Have a pile load of brake drums at work and the core buyer that stops by has not been by for 3 weeks now. He pays my boss good money for them due to prices, they are heavy.
That is why i started hauling . Trying to get rid of stuff was a deal . I can understand what the seller and buyer have going on . I also have several trailers so I can leave one if the seller wants to load it them selfs. I could write a very thick book on the scrap businesses . Also I cant count how many times I was called and went to get some scrap and it was a small deal wondering if I would make any money or not . I guess its all part of the scrap world .
He did come today finally,3 of his trucks were down getting fixed and paid my boss well on them. I loaded them in the back of his semi truck trailer with a loader at the shop
The end of last week I sold some clean aluminum car wheels I got .91 cents a pound. I also hauled 380 pounds of cans . I got .30 cents a pound for them. I hate messing with the cans they are a deal but its better than them going to a land fill or ditch. There is a lot of stuff not being recycled that could or should be.
It's not the wild cash I get from scrap. It's my part to keep stuff out of the landfill. The cash does help with fuel to get it to the recycling yard. I did get 45 cents per pound for the 37 pounds of AL cans.
If they really don't want it in the landfill they can pay more for the scrap. If it goes in the landfill anyway, they can always dig it out again if they want it back. Landfills are just a long term resource storage bank.
I had a good day I hauled 2 loads today . They said the price will probably be going down but I got $145.00 a ton today. I also was able to haul a car home that I bought 2 weeks ago and I went by another place and loaded up a load of building tin that I need to haul off for most of the summer. I have one more place I need to clean up its the last deal on my list besides my own stuff. I hope to start on it next week . I have been trying and hoping I don't get ask to do more clean up jobs till I get my stuff and everything caught up.
I wonder what the fires in California will do to the scrap iron prices ?
The cleanup is going to be on an epic scale. Something that stands out is the amount of exotic and rare automobiles destroyed.
The fire cleanup is a big scam. Who knows what happens to all the junk. I had some customers who got burned down and moved here. The cleanup contractors are paid by the state to remove all the junk and sort and dispose of hazmat properly. So far so good. Well they get paid by the ton. After the lot was all cleaned off they just kept going. Taking down a cinder block retaining wall and throwing it in the dumpster. My customer had to go in there and stop them and throw them out. Just so they could add to their tonnage.
Roofers showed up last week to replace the metal roofing that was damaged in a hail storm in April 2023 (yes, almost 2 years to settle that issue). Its a long, jumbled up story, but the guys are from out of state and had no intentions of cleaning up the site before a winter storm was supposed to hit. We did it ourselves before we had barn steel blown all over the county. I ended up hauling in 10,000 pounds of barn steel last Thursday, $180/Gross Ton (2,240 pounds). I learned something new: Local scrapyard pays a bonus on top of listed price for quality of product being delivered, and volume being delivered per load. Listed price was $150/ton. I received $20/ton for delivering over 3,000 pounds per load, and another $10/ton for the quality. Current Prices: Sheet Iron/Auto Bodies/Misc (Shear Grade) - $150/ton 2' Foundry - $170/ton Rotors/Drums - $225/ton Aluminum - $0.58-.70/pound depending on grade Lead Batteries - $0.20/pound #1 Copper - $2.96/pound #2 Copper - $2.82/pound #1 Insulated - $1.74/pound They have more than that listed on their price sheet, but that's the gist of it.
Local scrap yard here is same. Have it clean separated and sized they give top dollar for. Ad prices are for whole autos or complete assemblies as washers dryers or odd pieces not cut down.
Its a real circus getting the best price . I separate a lot of stuff then sometimes call around but then this place that's paying more is maybe farther away. So then you have to figure is it worth it. Then should I hold on to something if the price is down ? Another deal there is a place that is very close to me. He is a deal some of my people don't like him and will not deal with me if I sell to him. He hasn't done any thing to me but he wants to haggle over prices and I have other things to do.
We have several options around here too, but I'm usually tasked to just clean up a farm related mess and just getting the scrap hauled off is of more concern than getting the best price. If optimum price was of concern, management would focus on separating our scrap a lot more as the plow points, disc, other would count towards 2' prepared and get a much better price than general misc. As of now, everything gets tossed into the bins and when they're full, they get unloaded into our dump truck, and hauled to the closest place. Radiators, copper wiring/tubing, stainless, etc. I think it's a waste, but I get no benefit from doing the extra work to sort it and management doesn't care. There were 2 stainless steel agitation props in that last load (40 pounds or so apiece) that could have brought $24 if separate. Instead, they brought about $6 as general misc.
Some days not worth the extra effort. Been there a lot last few years.
Agreed. From an employer's standpoint it's not just the labor burden to separate the scrap it's also the opportunity cost of the employee not performing their normal role. When we demo a building everything except copper tubing goes in the metal roll off. Our guys get the copper scrap and prep it at the end of the day off the clock. Last big haul they had to the scrap yard they got around $2500 IIRC. Everything else goes in the metal box along with any romex wiring and other misc metals.
Its a deal figuring out what to do and if its worth it to do it. My brother bought a wire stripper last month . I have it and am going to try it out. I keep thinking when I bring stuff home and unload it if I sorted it better then it would make things a lot easier in the long run but I haven't ever done that someday maybe I will.
I loaded up a load of scrap steel to haul this week. I think its the first one this year. They say the price for shred has gone up some. Its strange I guess we got a lot of the junk cars hauled of a few years ago back then there was a lot of cars and very little lose stuff to throw in them . Now days there is all kinds of lose stuff and no cars to throw it in. I don't like dumping loose bolts and small stuff in my truck bed or on my trailer to haul. Luckily I have several of those 275 gallon totes to throw stuff in for now. I have one job that has 2 or 3 loads then I hope and don't plan on taking on any scrap jobs till I get my own mess cleaned up. I have been trying to start on this job but mud,snow and cold weather has held me back.
I ended up going in to the scrap yard this week. We've been working on some spring clean up stuff and selling off old equipment that isn't getting used. Part of the stuff was a trailer load of 6" aluminum irrigation pipe. We haven't used it in 10 years. It's been loosely for sale awhile with no interest. Thursday, I met with the scrap yard to find out scrap value. If I processed it down (cut off the cast bells and sectioned pipes to 8ft or less length), they were worth $19/each in scrap. I listed the whole lot on Marketplace for $800 (about $22.85/stick) and sold the whole lot within 24 hours to one buyer. I'm glad to see it gone to someone who will use it instead of cut up and melted down. It was all good pipe, just not ever going to be used in our operation anymore. We've buried so much irrigation pipe in the last 15 years, that anywhere this was used now has a permanent line installed.
I hauled a load of shred steel last week . The price was up to $160.00 a ton. I wish it wasn't so muddy I have a place to clean up but it's too soft I would make a mess . This place has trees growing up in some stuff that I need to cut . I may go there this week and cut some trees so when it does dry out I can go to work .
I do envy being so far from the city yards. Best im getting right now is 115/NT for autos and 130/GT shred. City yard is paying 175/NT for auto and 165/GT shred. Now my local started docking separately for tires. Going to start finding lots of tires around the county now or smell them being burned.
Just got a price earlier this morning from my scrap guy and they are paying $325/long ton for heavy prepared and they haul it
If anyone is interested and somewhat close to the St.Louis area look up Mighty River Recycling and ask for Ryan at Alton. We work on all of there equipment so we may get a better deal than most but cannot say for certain. They leave a roll off at work all the time and just swap them out when we get one full. He text this morning and said prices have been going up the last 2 months and they are predicting it to keep going up the next few months.
Been loading up the excess Junk laying around here again. have a obsolete JD Planter at the barn, after tomorrow(Tax Accountant Appt.) it is next for the Axe and Load, then a rusted hulk Massey baler, both will be hauled to scrap yard next couple of weeks dependent on Off Time. Hoping to at least make some spendable money.
Have a project on the north side of the metro where the scrap yards and ductile iron plants are located and the 60-80 trailers are rolling in and out. I have no clue the current pricing but they are apparently turning some tonnage.
I hauled a load of shred this morning I got $180.00 a ton. The place I a trying to clean up has a couple of inches of standing water I hope it drys up but this is the rainy season. I left a trailer close to a pile of stuff there is a bunch of steel gutter . I will probably stop buy there and hand load some just to speed things along.
I hauled a load of aluminum . I got .55 a pound out of the dirty sheet aluminum. I could have got more if I would have wanted to spend an hour more each way driving . I didn't think it was worth it . I had started loading my truck and needed it for another deal and I didn't want to unload it so I sold that load. Then when I finally got back home I thought I would load some shred steel on it. I was going to just load a little then finish loading later but I got everything I had in they way loaded . I backed the truck out of the way for the night and was happy with what I had done until I spotted a pile of building tin someone had dropped off. It is behind some other stuff . I wish I had saw it earlier I would have loaded it on the truck first then loaded everything else on top of it. I don't have people dumping stuff like that very often and wasn't very happy but I will cut the sheets in half and stack it on top of this load.
Have an old JD knife type planter at the barn, had attempted to get functionsl but parts NLA and just too much wear and tear. It is next for scrap out soon as the renters move their beef out of that field.
Its always a deal what should I do with that ? How much should I spend and can I easily find all the parts I need ?
Around here if you cut that planter down and make several 2 row planters that are 3pt they sell like hotcakes to the city hobby farmers moving down and the deer hunters for food plots
I hauled a load of shred steel Saturday 4/19/25 got $150.00 a ton. They talked like it was going down.
Good now maybe it stays here instead of going over seas. Too much good stuff scrapped anyway.
You need to work for me a couple days . Its hard to explain what and why somethings are scrapped.
Most of it ain't good stuff.
Worn Slick and Slick Worn Out!!
We just spent a week in our own scrap yard simply moving. We didn't sell anything but we should. Don't know what cars are but I have half a dozen could go, it was getting deep and gave kids chance to run dozer. Went thru a couple of evolutions, scrapped and last time I hit a low. I am a terrible speculator.
I got it parked and pushed back for now and made dedicated wood lot for a while. Was tired of working around and arranged some more convenient implement parking. Sorted a bunch of that and stage more current and move obsolete to the back.
All old 1950's vehicles should be picked over for good parts always. Anything that is 2000 and newer is all scrap. Parts will sell real good if a person won't over price stuff. A small part that won't bring in a penny for scrap could sell quick at say $5. or so. Especially if its some thing that most want $30. for. Just saying. Reminds me of buying an old dozer part that was in a scrap pile, weighed maybe 70 pounds if even that much, steel, maybe 1983 or so, the goof charged me $40 for it. I said you were just going to scrap it.
I am not saying this to make you mad but i wish you could spend sometime helping me.
I started on a scrap job cleanup for a neighbor. He bought the place and is going to build a new house were a building is now so it will be torn down . He said i could have anything i could scrap out of it. I never seen so many plastic coffee cans with nails,screws and nuts bolts. I am dumping the cans in a good container but they also have mud Daubers nest in them . There would be some bolts worth saving but the Daubers have made stuff rust and i am not in the saving mood.
Doing what?
I I think if everyone would work a while in the scrap clean up world they would thing differently about what should be saved and what something is worth. Its a deal working spending time removing parts that are hard to sell or never sell. I dont have the answers .
Closest thing to the scrap business I get into is building demo. Have a fast food demo and rebuild coming up that should have a fair amount of steel and shred with some stainless and copper.
Its got to be something I wanna build for me to want to save it. I am not inclined to be stripping stuff I might get 5$ for if I go on a mission to try and sell it. I save some stuff but I am not really a compulsive hoarder. There have been a couple times I should have sold and didnt and a couple I did and shouldnt have but getting rid of junk is a plus.
yeah, I pull the old rheostats out of those big 200-600 amp welders that miller, lincoln and hobart used to make. some of those big copper rheostats were up to 12" in size! They could handle the primary side current just fine to drive the transformer. Great capabilities. I use them for things like slow power on for motors or signs or even complex gear the idea is that if the motor starts pulling huge current at 50-60VAC, power it off before you get to full 120vac so you can fix it. Anyway, using the old rheostats like that has saved me quite a bit of spendy stuff. Not a good idea to do this with switching power supplies, but works fine for linear supplies and linear amps - tube and old transistor based. the newer mosfet stuff.. good gear and all, but it ruins it to run undervoltage. And the immense transformers! I've used them in various projects. I'm working on building a gantry table with linuxCNC to run a plasma cutter, and I've got these huge variable transformers. I keep looking at them as a potential solution for my voltage and current needs.... maybe maybe maybe!
I think the 40 was a deal,,, guy saves it all these years and a guy finally strolls along and he snags 40$,,, about right. He is good enuf to stop whatever he is doing to deal with this,,, what would have been in it to sell it to a walk in for scrap price when he could have got that for doing nothing? I know there are exceptions but they are usually business types but dont see most people with money with bunch of scrap cars on blocks in the yard that are too good to go to the crusher.
A friend just showed to me the other day a few parts he got at a pick pull yard, interior small parts etc box weight maybe 10 pounds if that. $140. and we all know they pay maybe max of 200 for the cars they get. Junk yards are just plain crooks. There is zero scrap value in most of what he had.
All depends on how the items have been treated, meaning taken care of. Like engines or transmissions, if they are total rusted junk then yeah toss em. It just all depends on what it is etc. Just cruise FB market and see the total scrap that everyone thinks is super valuable, because they watch auctions or what ever. Or like that 14A I posted someplace here for 30K oh the price on that is now 23K.
While they are scrap value are they sposed to park these cars at the pic and pull so people can get the stuff at scrap prices? Try to scrap a car for parts,, you gonna sit around all day in case someone wants a 5 dollar part? They sposed to save the rest of that car in case some guy wants a 50 cent knob? Most of the time (not saying that is the case here) but often can sport hoarders in a few posts,, not only do they ss.vr junk but want everyone else to save it in case they might want it. I know a couple. One has 3 car garage can't walk in and won't hold any more scrap parts. Snap on tool box outside under a tarp and garage poles full of broke parts. Got to wonder why a guy is changing oil if the goal is to bottle it up and save it , you never know when you might want 100 gallons used oil. (Prolly closer to 500).
So my bud goes to a place to look at a tractor and they looking at it and he wants to drain a little oil. So he spots a milk jug. Pulls out his knife and cuts it off and the old folks go in to a panic attack. Can't we find something besides a good oil jug? Had to calm them down. Then they went to the garage for something. He is engineer,, said there must have been somewhere around 4000 jugs in the garage. Stuffed. Stacked, hanging. On shelves.
No I'm not saying that. But for a small switch or wire loom that will be of zero scrap value, I'm just asking for them to be fair, they sure want the car from me or you for dirt cheap. Over charging at any store and 100% profit on everything is just greed tax. Its been that way for the last 40 years, I knew people that owned various supply shops in the day. The one guy priced all his product at 100% of what he paid for it, and he was the cheapest in town. Go figure.( if it was $1 he charged $2) And this is why when you buy your grocery's they cost so much. It is all basically legal stealing.
Why would I want to stop my day to sell a guy a small piece of wire at scrap price? If I got 20 of those could make 5 bucks a day?
Anyone can go in the store biz if they think it's easy to double their money on every sale. (It's higher on a lot of items. As much as 5 or 10x. Bic lighter is 35 cents, bottle of pop 25 if that and lots of that stuff I don't buy. Some of it is better today as we find out how that "good ole hardware store" down the street was grifting us. My Dad was a guy who kind of trusted the system and thought everything was priced like a gallon of milk. We can really see this in auto parts with same stuff in white box as a glossy one and really hot home several years ago when I price a set of shocks. I am not disagreeing that it's the way it is but salvage guys got to pay the same for gas as you and I do and they absolutely need to do that or they might as well stay home and a guy can find it elsewhere. Modern parts and vending has made most used obsolete, I am not going to junkyard to get used rotor for 20 when I can get new for 18. Nearest I can recall I bought 2 used parts in last decades. Both I paid close to new rates but we're 1 off and guy had to go retrieve it , he mentioned the price and I got it. Guy did me a favor at that.
This is an auto wrecking yard and yes there are things that will only bring a few bucks that they sell so? I don't understand your logic. Its like saying every item in every darn store you walk into has to cost 100 bucks? Egg's? LOL There are other folks in the junk yard that maybe spending that much or more, some days there can be many hundreds of folks in and out of there. Anyway there used to be back when I would frequent them. Its getting to the point they will just price them selves out of customers. You know like most new car dealers do now. Gee some places have big sales just to attract customers. I can't see your point on agreeing with the nonsense. In the end we will find a nice parts car for about what the stupid junk yard pays for them, and let them crush their over priced garbage. And we get at those prices maybe 2000 $ of parts.
I hauled a load of shred Saturday 5/10/25 and got $120.00 a ton . Yes the price has gone down but I will keep hauling and cleaning up. I am still hoping that no one will ask me to clean up any scrap until I get some prodject done . I have one more clean up for a buddy then a load or ?? for myself.
I hauled a load of shred yesterday and got $140.00 a ton. I had a guy call me and i am going to go look at some he has next week. I was hoping no one would call but maybe i will get back in to it and get some done.
A little improvement! I dropped off batteries a few weeks ago, the price was dismal something like 15 cents a pound.
Well I've sent 4 - 30CY roll offs to the scrap yard with 2 more left to go. A couple were full of red iron and heavy. Had some stainless and aluminum diamond sheeting as well but threw it all in together. Wasn't enough to justify sorting and hauling separately. Schedule wouldn't allow it either. If I get $140 a ton I'll be happy.
Copper is up.
Great my friend won't have his phone back for another year now, then. Wires keep getting taken.
I hauled a load of shred and 600# of batteries . I got $150.00 a ton on the shred 0.15 a pound on the batteries . I needed the truck and was glade to get it unloaded. I hauled it on Saturday and the yard was a mess a lot of people hauling it was a cluster but I wasn't hauling the load back home. I wish I had extra trucks and trailers some times I could leave loaded till I had time to unload .
My brother and I helped my dad purge his garage and barn last weekend. He needs room in the garage to build a wheelchair ramp for my mother soon. We ended up filling the back of my pickup with random scrap, and filled a 10 yard dump trailer to haul to the landfill. I had 500 pounds of shredder scrap @$160GT, and 40 pounds of batteries @ $0.20/pound. The scrap value covered the dump fees at the landfill. I donated my time and fuel to haul everything off for my dad. We loaded on Sunday afternoon and had my truck and trailer empty by Monday afternoon. I considered tossing the scrap on to my pile at home and waiting, but it wasn't worth handling it twice. Scrap yard said they have had a slow summer because of the heat. Gal said activity dies mid morning as the temps got over 85. We have cooler weather now and they're expecting it to get busy again.
The price has gone up some more on shred not exactly sure how much but i know its went up. I started on another load and will haul it next week. I have a pile of prepared but i have to haul it further. I havent been that far with my old trucks for a while so until i start making that trip i wonder.
Prices are really low right now. I didnt bother to check before I sent the loads and I should have. #1 Prepared is only 165/gt at the higher paying city yard. 130/nt for autos and 115/gt for shred. Really screwed myself as I sent over 40,000lbs of #1 with around 60,000lbs of shred shortly behind. Not too fussed about the shred but I would have hung onto the #1.
I'm no help I want all scrap to fall to nothin. Just tired of all the wire theft and all. My brother hasn't had his land line for 2 years now, because of it. Cell reception is just crap so? I also hate to see good stuff scrapped. I'm fine with all the new cars and EV's getting scrapped though. LOL
The price for shred hasnt been terrible here lately and i am want to clean up $140.00 . I hauled a old LP tank in on a load that i had cut some holes in . I think they were having a bad day they didnt like it and docked me some. Live and learn next time i will cut it in half.
Wil make nice Honda parts. *
Me and a buddy were going to haul some after thanksgiving but the yard was closed the rest of the week. Its going to be really cold this week or i would take off work and haul .
Prices still have not moved but its the time of the season to start clearing and cleaning up this stuff. Bonus money for the crew before Christmas. Kids wont be getting as many presents as last year.
Talked to my local yard that usually pays 30-40% less than the city yard about 40 miles away, they are willing to do 200GT for #1, 170GT for shred, and 170NT for autos. Not too bad for only hauling 6 miles away. I showed them some pictures of whats to come if I got a better price.
Looks to be some Autocar stuff there, possibly
Yes, seven autocar that ive verified so far. Two GMC, one Western Star, and a real old chain drive Mack. Lots more buried in there but the terrain is tough and the pine saplings immense enough to need a machete. Was pretty icy today so The crew and I just opened up the existing road in to that part of the property and pulled a few things out after a lot of clearing work with the excavators.
How old of a Star? Some of the Autocar sheet metal is hard to find even in bad shape.
I have a place to clean up that is about 4 miles from a place that buys but they are a deal so I will haul it 32 miles . I need to think things over and talk to them .
Everything so far looks 60s at the newest. Unfortunately, I'm facing a DEM fine for solid waste and have 90 days to clean up everything. No time to try and sell anything, just off to the recycler in the next few weeks. There is more stuff they didnt see last time they were out here but once I clean this spot the rest will be somewhat visible. Thats the green iron I posted about in the old iron category.
Some look to be DC's or A's 102 series, those go back to early 50's. Look too big to be C series. The Star would have to be 67 up, 1967 was first year with narrow hood, wide grilles started in 1969, those are pretty rare. Early 4964 below. *
Roughly the Acar in your photo, those have the curved glass windshield openings which was around 1951/2 up. Any of these could have vertical, horizontal or no hood lovers. *
Definitely some DC's in there, I didnt even get any closer to the head on picture of the 3 trucks (actually 6 but you cant see in the pic) than the shot itself so have no clue what they really are aside from the autocar emblems. Dump boxes from them are stalked up next to that dozer and they look like something youd find on a single axle class 7 or 8 modern truck. Maybe 10 yard boxes at best so that leads me to believe these are old 50s trucks.
Took a walk today at lunch and the guys have most of it cleared. The inventory on trucks so far is seven Autocar DC, some round fender but most angled fender, one 7500 GMC tandem, one Ford SuperDuty tandem, door tag says 1954, and a Brockway cab with White Road Boss hood nearby. GMC and Ford both have gas engines and of the Autocar's that still have engines are all non turbo Cummins. Im young enough to have never seen a non turbo Cummins in application so these are oldies well before my time. Other stuff includes six 7-8 yard loader buckets, a Cat D8H with potential, and a whole heap of engines, truck axles, excavator buckets, dump bodies, misc iron stock, and of course tires, tires, tires. Makes me happy to see most of the trucks were heavily picked through and not just parked and wasted like the heavier iron in here.
Ferrous prices went up $5.00 per ton across the board this week. Cashed in a couple hundred tons so far. Some of my crew followed an old road into the wetland part of the property and it led to a small pit not disclosed when I purchased the property. Loader just sitting all alone. No clue what brand or model as that's as close as I wanted myself or guys to get. The banks were shedding non stop just as we stood there and road is very grown in with pine saplings and briers. Not to mention ice and snow this time of year.
Price of #1 went up another $5.00. Not much left to scrap though. Poking around the property by myself today and came across a few pieces, plus one I knew about. Detroit engine beside a Cat 366 frame. Looks like a cable dozer but no luck online searching a Cat 366 dozer? The Deere is a 690C and I knew it was out there but had no time to get near it until today. Pretty good shape aside from the glass broken by kids partying in the pit. Only 5900 hours on the meter and it looks to be true by the condition of the rest of the machine. Ended up getting out to that loader in my previous post. Its a Kawasaki 95 and not junk. To small for my operation so im going to sell it. Had to bring DEM in though as that pit was not on the map and is in an area not permitted to extract. Beautiful sand though and im not pointing fingers but I can only imagine the previous owner saw $$$ signs and gave it an under the radar go. Definitely was worked 3-5 years ago judging by the undergrowth on the road.
What type a scrap company would be called to haul off a large piece of equipment and pay you for it? Have a Grove MZ66 manlift which weights in at 32K It runs just not great and I want to get rid of it but don't have anything that can haul something that weights that much
In my area no one will come out with their own equipment to load and haul away large scrap equipment and pay the owner for it. Prices are too low.
Detroit's make a nice noise on the way through a chipper/shredder.
The 366 on the old cat was just the owners number. Looks to be the remains of an old 46A D8. Too many pulleys in the blade sheave to be anything smaller. And the remains of the power shifter for the trans is still visible.
There is no way that those tracks would be that defined yet after 3-5 years of the elements working on them. That loader was moving around in there last summer. I'd bet you can twist the key and fire it off.
I do agree, some of the tracks look fairly fresh but ive owned this property since 11/23 and the road to that side of the property had 6-7ft white pine saplings that needed to be cleared. Maybe the previous owner was walking down and joyriding while I wasnt around? Cab is locked and key gone.
Me that look real good and make sure there isn’t another road or path down in there might be someone borrowing some material with out any one noticing