Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fan belt Change on L9000 with 290 cummins

Hokiesmokes ยท 2011-07-02 15:50

Need a few hints on getting the belts changed on my truck. It looks like the only way is to totally drop the fan bracket off to get the belts off. I tried taking them over the fan, no go. There also looks like a little air line going to the bracket, I guess for the fan clutch. Any advice to get them changed is appreciated. This has the 2 v belts if that matters.

Replies3
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2011-07-02 20:55

    You have the right idea, its not really that bad. Cut a piece of cardboard and lay it between the radiator and fan blade You could have several types of fan clutches (where the air line hooks to the fan hub) but disconnect this hose, either at the hub or fan switch solenoid Slack off the belt tensioner Remove the (4) I think, 1/2" bolts (3/4 socket) Just lay the fan blade toward the radiator and remove the belts from the back side Belts are not like they used to be, they are more precise in length, I still ask for matched length belts, commercial grade Its easier to have two people help put the fan bolts back in, but one can do it If anything else drives off the fan pulleys, change them too, belt dont cost that much, compared to labor and break downs Good Luck, I just did this job a few weeks ago, I think it took me like 2 hours and I had the belts

  2. #2Hokiesmokes2011-07-02 21:27

    Thanks for that guy, I owe you a beer. You are spot on with the bolt sizes. I couldn't figure any other way of doing it. It was a bear getting those loose, had to use the impact and almost a whole can of kroil. Info for anybody stumbling across this, the top 2 nuts are 13/16" but you don't have to hold them as I found out. They are welded to that little backing plate. Use a flare nut wrench on the air line fitting?

  3. #3Hokiesmokes2011-07-12 18:11

    Update: Got em all done. After one day of getting the bolts loose, it took another to get everything apart and then chase down the belts since I couldn't get numbers off mine. NAPA has to order the fan ones. I found some gates belts that fit at OReilley's. I did use a flare wrench on the air line. Make sure you tie up the fan assembly. It's heavy and hard to catch when it falls out. I had it back together in about an hour or so.