Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fan Clutch Issues

Acoals ยท 2023-03-27 13:55

I am taking apart the fan clutch on my dump, 1992 Ford L9000, Cat 3406 3ZJ23190. The fan has been squealing when it engaged, and getting into it a bit the bearings are pretty rough. I ordered a rebuild kit last summer from an auto parts store, based on the number that is visible externally. The kit that I have is completely wrong, which doesn't really surprise me, but now I guess I am trying to figure out what I do need. I am not familiar with heavy clutches like this, so maybe someone can help. I didn't take a picture of the whole assembly, but this is the hub and bearing with the clutch assembly off: View attachment KIMG0040.JPG This is the clutch, disassembled, The friction is cone shaped. View attachment KIMG0037.JPG Following are pics showing the numbers: View attachment KIMG0038.JPG View attachment KIMG0039.JPG So what I am wondering is; what is this? Is it a Bendix or a Borg Warner? Which numbers should I use to source a rebuild kit? The Bendix number on the tag is where the incorrect Horton kit came from. Where is a good source for this?

Replies11
  1. #1Tenwheeler2023-03-27 22:13

    What brand and model is the fan clutch you have?

  2. #2Acoals2023-03-27 22:57

    It appears to be Bendix, though there are BW stampings on some of the parts. I have been digging around on this all afternoon, and it seems that Bendix sold off its fan clutch division to a company called Kit Masters. It seems as though the kit that should rebuild this clutch is out of stock everywhere and backordered. I have to make some calls tomorrow. Not sure about the feasibility of putting a different clutch on the truck.

  3. #3bccat2023-03-28 00:30

    Is it possible just to replace the brgs, lining looks ok to me, a little glazed But it could be cleaned up

  4. #4Acoals2023-03-28 07:11

    That might be what happens. The little plastic hats on the springs are pretty worn, and it would be nice to replace the springs before they have issues, but it is what it is. The kit is like $800, if I just replace the bearings I will probably spend $100 . . .

  5. #5Tenwheeler2023-03-29 00:10

    Sorry I was in a hurry and over looked your pictures. The reason I asked is because I bought a kit for a Horton hub. I thank it was from kit masters. The instructions showed about 8 different set ups and different shims, spacers and things for each. Mine did not match any of them. I kept jugging shims and spacers around for about an hour and finally got it to work. I have put new bearings and O-rings in hubs before with success.

  6. #6Acoals2023-03-29 09:57

    The Horton kit I ended up with is for a completely different clutch type. Mine is a cone clutch of sorts, the horton kit was for a large flat disc type clutch. I get the idea from poking around the internet trying to find parts that mine is a bit of an oddball.

  7. #7Truck Shop2023-03-29 10:35

    I buy from Accupart on oddball's-But the Bendix cone type was a orphan and a squealer. Bendix Fan Clutches & Components Bendix fan clutches, components and repair kits for trucks, busses, tractors and other heavy vehicles. Fan clutches are heat operated devices used to engage and disengage a cooling fan; maintaining an optimal operating temperature. www.accupart.com

  8. #8DMiller2023-03-29 10:52

    How old is that 9000, Bendix Cone shaped clutches were gone before I left the business in 96.

  9. #9Acoals2023-03-29 10:53

    It squeals alright, that's why I took it apart. I don't think there was really much wrong with the clutch itself, other than some glazing. The bearings were pretty rough though, so its just as well.

  10. #10Acoals2023-03-29 10:54

    1992

  11. #11Truck Shop2023-03-29 12:22

    There's a good reason cone type Bendix came to a end.