Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Farmer from Colorado

BryceH · 2021-09-06 00:21

Hello everyone, Just joined tonight. We run a grain farm in Colorado and I am looking to learn more about root plowing. I see it is not a overly common topic on here when I look through old threads. Hoping to discover some info over the next few weeks and put something together to cover some acres this fall. Any and all insight will be appreciated as I start putting questions together.

Replies13
  1. #1mg23612021-09-06 06:33

    Welcome to HEF BryceH !

  2. #2Pony2021-09-06 08:07

    G'day from Australia. Back in the early 90's I spent 12 mths working on a ranch near Wild Horse Colorado. Sure is different country to over here.

  3. #3CM19952021-09-06 10:06

    Welcome to HEF BH!

  4. #4Tinkerer2021-09-06 11:14

    Welcome to HEF, Bryce ! There have been a lot of discussions on HEf for rakes. do a forum search for rakes.

  5. #5John C.2021-09-06 19:54

    Not real sure of the term "root plowing." We do have people around here that do sub soiling with a dozer and rippers. Eastern Washington has lots of land that has a layer under the top soil that as recall is either rock or some type of material that packs up and won't let water drain. Is that similar to what you are describing in your term?

  6. #6Tones2021-09-06 21:00

    Is this what you mean?

  7. #7Tinkerer2021-09-06 21:28

    Or this ?

  8. #8Coaldust2021-09-07 16:39

    Welcome to the HEF! I don’t know anything about root plowing, but I do grow some big rutabagas North of the sixty.

  9. #9Delmer2021-09-07 17:46

    Bryce, do you mean a blade plow like a Noble, or Minimizer for crop ground? Or a land clearing blade behind a dozer for clearing brush land for farming? You'll find more of the bulldozer style for removing tree roots here.

  10. #10BryceH2021-09-07 23:42

    Hello everyone, by root plowing I mean running a horizontal blade at a depth of 2-3 ft. It is a moderately common practice in TX and other states where they have mesquite trees. Here is a random example off Youtube.

  11. #11Delmer2021-09-08 00:07

    Have you tried searching this site with a search engine instead of the search function in the site? that usually makes it easier to find what you're looking for. "root plow HeavyEquipmentForums" or "blade plow...

  12. #12Tones2021-09-08 06:58

    Bryce, maybe you'll want to go the whole hog like this big bugger http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=116931

  13. #13Tinkerer2021-09-08 10:13

    This one was made by Holt.