I just thought I would let all you guys know about this. If you move around, or are in need of alternatives. Around here my ancient DSL line can't be upgraded and will be cancelled if I ever miss a payment or whatever. The phone co. wants rid of me. Well Verizon wireless has a true unlimited plan again. Speeds range from better to way better than my old DSL. It has been 100% reliable so far. 10+ Mbps down, 4-6 up but my signal is not even that great here. The catch is you have to get it on their prepaid side. $65 per month if you autopay with a card. I can walk you through it on this thread if it interests anybody.
If you use a certain amount of data do they slow it down? I need something for the shop and the normal options aren’t out here....
I haven't seen a single one that doesn't either slow it down and or cap you when you go over their limits.... of sure they say unlimited... but they don't mean the unlimited in websters.
They do not slow it down after any data limit. They may push you down temporarily if everyone else is hogging it. I think that happens sometimes but it goes from 10 megs to 6 megs. Still way faster than anything else I can get.
They specifically say there is no soft cap or anything. It is a new thing, only 6 months old or so.
Although a bit high for regular access it does sound good if you need lots of data.... I wonder what their fine print says... personal data use only??? or some other sort of restrictions based on type of use?
I’m game given my options at the shop. That’s cheaper than anything else I can get. Thanks for the heads up!!
Go to verizonwireless.com/prepaid. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and you will see Jetpack Plans -> Unlimited GB $65/mo. That is the one you want. The device is $50. I skipped their device and got a heavy metal device to wire into the network but if all you need is wifi for a laptop their device should be fine. 2 day shipping.
Awesome. Thanks!
I have Verizon and can not stand them. If I had a viable option I would drop them in a heartbeat. As far as I'm concerned they are crooks. Your data will slow after 15 megabytes!
I have no love for Verizon but I have been running this service a couple days now serving all the computers here including some of the enormous photos on this site, Youtube etc. and it has been flawless so far. They do throttle video to 720 (I am not even sure what that means) but apart from that and the network congestion clause there seem to be no gotchas. If you search the internets there are a lot of RVers who like it too.
Also I partly work inside radio sites and I can tell you for 100% certain that Verizon has the biggest and strongest network by far. Of course there are exceptions in any one spot but in the sticks it is most likely to work. They have the biggest network because they bought all the little guys before others realized cell phones were going to be for the masses.
That sounds like a good deal. I was considering Netbuddy for the grandkids to be able to watch tv here. Netbuddy uses the AT&T network. It doesn’t do all that well here. Verizon does well on my booster here at home. Thank you
I just got run through the wringer trying to order a second line from them. Make sure you ship the device to the same address on your driver license. Or just buy the device on ebay and tell them you want to activate your own device.
They can be frustrating to deal with.
I have Verizon Unlimited as there is 3 options of unlimited I have the 2 to best one of the 3. Copied and pasted this from my account... 4G LTE only. After 22GB, during times of congestion, your data may be temporarily slower than other traffic. Mobile Hotspot/tethering reduced to speeds up to 600Kbps after 15 GB/mo. Domestic data roaming at 2G speeds; int'l data reduced to 2G speeds after 512 MB/day. I live off the grid
Service depends on area. In so cal, Verizon is by far top dog. I can stream HD movies all day every day and never slow down. The unlimited is true unlimited. If it's for a cellular device, they will cap it for using it as a hotspot, but a that the only restriction I know of. It's probably the most expensive, but I can literally stream from TJ to San Francisco with no drops.
I agree they have the best cellphone coverage, but their internet sucks, I also have the supposedly best unlimited plan on both our cells. We also have two ipads with data so I use them for hotspots.
This plan is a totally new thing and is unlimited for Jetpacks only. Like a phone on hotspot mode but with no phone. No 22 gb limit or any such nonsense. It only comes from the prepaid side though. Postpaid or any other way the plan is not available.
Thanks, I'll have to check into it! I guess enough people complained to them.
I have been testing it with dslreports.com speedtest and most times it is 6-10 mbps but real late last night after watching a movie (on a VCR not internet) before going to bed it was really slow, like 1 mbps. But that was the only time I have seen it do that, never even in mornings or evenings when you figure everyone is watching TV on it. I am also going to get an antenna way up on my TV mast as soon as I can because my signal is not that great. Because I have hills all around and this is rough terrain. But I figure some of you guys are flatlanders and should have no such trouble.
Is this 5G? If so it's not available in our area yet. We live in the "boondocks".
Ya, streaming "TV" or playing video games. As for 5g, it doesnt matter. 4g is still faster than DSL. If you are only doing things that don't care about lag, you can try satellite. It will get you data, but has a descent lag when talking to it. I'm sure it's way better than what it was 15 years ago.
5G does not really exist yet. It won't be all that much faster anyway because we are reaching the "physical" or electronic limits of how much data can be compressed onto each radio wave. I work with a lot of people in the boondocks whose only option (till now) was satellite, and they all hate it. Never used it myself so I can't comment too much but lag is a real killer and unavoidable with satellite. In all segments of the communications world, which I have been involved for many years, terrestrial beats satellite every day hands down. It is just that satellite is faster to deploy, but it is so much easier and cheaper to send 2 men and a truck to set up an antenna, than to launch a bird into outer space and expect it to keep working. I have been watching 4G on my phone now for a year or more, wishing I could get those speeds at my house...well now I can.
Well some observations from running it a while now. Speed is usually 8-10 megs, sometimes real late at night it gets pretty slow like less than 1 meg but I just go to bed. I wonder if everybody is watching movies late at night. The Jetpack device that it came with (we got another account) is pretty lame. It does not seem to have band 2 or band 5 in it, only bands 4 and 13. Band 4 is usually blazing fast where you can get it but we can't get it here, yet. So here we are using a heavy metal modem to replace the cheap Jetpack and forced it onto band 5 so that is where the good signal is coming from. More to come later this week as we are going to put up a high antenna on a mast. It is frustrating that they would sell a good service like this and cripple it with cheap hardware. At this point if you guys have not already ordered the hardware I would order it and tell them you are getting your own device and get one from Swappa or ebay that has band 2 at least if not also band 5, if band 5 exists in a Jetpack.
There are many people around here going to a satilite based internet. A little expensive at about $80 a month but they say it is above and beyond our other local options. Spectrum? or something like that. Only hearsay, I don't have it myself.
Lots of people around here have satellite too and they usually hate it. #1 problem, they can't use voice over internet because the delay to get to outer space and back is too long. #2 problem, it is expensive and slows down gradually. Until they call the company then it magically goes back up and works good for a while, then begins to slow down. There are WISPs here, wireless ISPs, who put their own dish on your house pointed at their own tower but they all have some pretty low monthly limits. And bulk speeds are not all that great. But they do have nice snappy connections unlike satellite. The pull of this current Verizon product is they are true unlimited data, although I am seeing some slowdowns from time to time. But it never seems to go slower than my old DSL on a good day.
Birken, everything you say about satellite is completely true but it is a godsend for those areas with no alternative. It’s not that long ago that our only means of communication was two bare wires strung tree to tree for 50 miles!
This Verizon deal is disappearing tomorrow or the next day so if you still need it, jump on it immediately.
If anybody wants to buy this setup, I am not using it any more. Still operational grandfathered. Could go up to 20-40 megs if you have a good signal. Otherwise I am going to cancel the grandfathered service.
I purchased the T-Mobile plan for $50/month unlimited access with their wireless home tower about 1.5 years ago. It's designed for rural applications and will not work just anywhere. You have to check your address to see if you qualify for signal and plan via their website. I usually only have 1-2 bars showing but we watch internet tv through it nightly. Unless usage traffic is really high, like a busy weekend at the lake, we rarely have speed issues. The only drawback is that it is designed for a set location pulling off of the same tower so it's not really a mobile type unit. We can't take it on vacation with us. The speed is fast, $50/mo is cheap and it's not through Verizon. My unlimited phone/net service through Verizon would always slow after I reached my capacity limit and their "cruise control" speed limiting nanny device really sucks. That really sucked when trying to get anything done on the net. It's well worth the money to add the tower and stay at full speed. As much as I hate Verizon, they have great coverage so I have to stick with them for my phone service.
This thing does not limit when you get past a data cap. It stays fast all month. Rather it is deprioritized which means people with phones get to go before you. In my rural area I did not see that happen much except during a disaster or something. It still worked then, just slower. It will work mobile as well. It was meant for mobile, I just used it fixed.