I have a Volvo EC240cl with some fault codes. vin#VCE240CV00110691 Engine runs very well, but shows faults for SE2202-04 engine oil temp sensor low voltage, SE2703-03 cam sensor high voltage, and 5 HE2501-05 intake air preheating coil open. Does high and low voltage indicate a bad sensor, a draw on the voltage, or a mechanical problem? Any suggestions on where to start is very helpful. Nearest dealer said they have common problems with shorted wires. Thanks in advance Mike
It could indicate a failed sensor or a broken wire or a bad connection in the sensor connector or at the ECU or a wire shorted to ground. Most sensors have a supply and return voltage from the ECM. If the sensor voltage is 5V then the signal wire from the sensor will return approximately 0.5V to 4.5V when in its operating range. If the positive voltage to the sensor is lost the ECU will see 0V on the signal wire, if the negative voltage to the sensor is lost the ECU will see 5V on the sensor signal wire. The ECU is programmed to report a fault when the signal voltage goes out of the specified range.
I would address the intake heater fault soon. I have seen intake heaters send broken pieces into the intake and do major damage.
Thanks for the input, We will be checking into this tonight. What would a High Voltage come from?
I doubt that the engine would start and run if there was a problem with the cam sensor. Are the faults active? Faults go inactive after the problem is repaired and usually have to be cleared with an electronic service tool of some sort. How are you reading the codes?
Most trucks and machinery built in the last 20 plus years the engine info, RPM oil pressure oil temp boost etc. are fed from the ECU through a data link usually a twisted pair of wires to the instruments. If you have a problem with the oil pressure sensor the gauge should not work.
Codes appear on the screen display so I would think they are active
Voltage high is open circuit or open sensor. Voltage low is shorted circuit or shorted sensor. Measure resistance at sensor. Should be neither open nor shorted. Specific values aren't absolutely necessary, but can be found. For voltage low, unplug the sensor and see if the code changes to voltage high. For voltage low, install a fused jumper (I like 2.5A) and see if the code changes to voltage high.
Does the machine have an oil temp gauge? If yes does it work? I would be surprised if the engine would start and run without the cam sensor. Can you get someone to scan it and clear the codes? Then run it and see if the codes come back. Terry
Thanks for the suggestions and input. I had to take a break on that machine and get to another machine, but now back to the EC 240. I'll be checking the wires as soon as I can locate these sensors. Volvo is no help as usual as to a wiring diagram or sensor location assistance.
I found the intake air preheat coil broken. I ordered one $400.+ Now on to the 2703-03 cam sensor High V, and 2202-04 Engine oil sensor Low V. Any idea where these are located would help alot Thanks
anyone have location of the cam sensor and oil temp sensor. I need to trace the right wires
I found the heater had a broken coil, replaced the heater and the code for that went away Thank you
I am looking for the cam shaft sensor location also.
Good day Attached may be of help. Kind regards Uffex