Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

favorite crane

crane operator · 2009-04-18 10:52

What's the best/ smoothest running nicest crane you've been in? Tower/ crawler and truck crane entries are all allowed. My experience is all in hydraulic cranes, truck mounted, rt and big all terrains. Nicest one for me was a 1973 Grove model tms 300 (35 ton). Had a 80' main boom- 104' with the "dead stick" out, 136' with the 32' swing around jib. It had been repowered with cummins engine and had fancy aluminum decking replacing the rusted out steel. It seemed like you could set that throttle in a smooth spot and you could put the ball wherever you wanted. It wasn't a fast crane, just smooth. Best crane for setting up in a bad spot was a Grove gmk 4085 All terrain. Short 4 axle with all the suspension travel and long outrigger jacks made it easy to set up. 125' main and 50' jib and a very good chart for its size (30k of counterweight on a 85 ton crane helps!) Also those great big 20.5 tires were great for wallowing through a muddy spot and with the mega track suspension it went down the road like a dream! It also had all the driving controls mounted in the upper also, made it much easier to get in and out of the trailing dolly.

Replies112
  1. #1td25c2009-04-18 13:17

    I have to agree with you crane operator,the grove hydraulic cranes are smooth & strong.The operators manual on my tm250 says to run the crane at full throttle,I run it at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and it is responsive & smooth.Now I won't leave out My old k-12 insley.It's all "feel" with the manual boosters on friction clutches,It operates very smooth once you get used to it.I enjoy operating both cranes.

  2. #2JDMGrading2009-04-19 13:14

    The smoothest I have ever been in was a Link-Belt 348 Hylab5. Whether it has 100' of boom or 340' of luffing boom. It was a hoss. But I still love the way our old worn out Bucyrus Erie 65C feels.

  3. #3insleyboy2009-04-19 21:05

    We had an old 2300 series Manitowoc. I forget the capacity..I want to say 35 ton, give or take. This crane was a joy to operate, but lots of bullwork to erect. The boom was all bolts at every joint. 4 per lace times 4 points. the gantry was erected as such that you had to boom crane all the way to tipping point up (boom stops were pieces of angle iron those days). When ya had er all the way up with slack in your hog rods, then you climbed to the roof of the cab and used johnson bars to winch the front legs of the gantry foreward to the pin down spot. Then, sometimes we had to have an excavator pull slightly on the boom with a sling to help get it back over center from the top. I would have my left hand holding the boom brake with the boom lever in the slow down mode, all the time watching over my left shoulder to make sure the boom cables did not mis align on the boom drums. All this with 90 feet of boom in her! After the exciting set up the fun would begin. This crane had been fitted with an original air type lever system They were essentially round knobs with hitchable hook ups on the backside for feel effect They were the original air assist and actually worked quite well. The crane itself had 2 very smooth drums on it. The drawback was having to boom up as you swing over the side as the cats were very narrow and this machine was very tippy . Over front with chains to the rear she was a joy to operate. The company I was with sold her in 1995 I believe. A dredging co uses her along the Detroit River and north from there along the lakes.

  4. #4Local_1392009-04-19 21:46

    I enjoy Grove and Terex Rt's. Give me a Grove RT600E or a Terex 555 and I'm a happy camper. I will pass on the jib and stinger........ Liebherr LR1160 and a Manitowoc 2250 are also great machines.

  5. #5Dualie2009-04-20 02:01

    My little national 556 A on an underpowered Ford 2 axle. gets into stupid tight spots, lifts like a hoss. Perfect chart for what I need to do day in and day out. Best of all it needs ZERO and it paid for itself the first year I had it.

  6. #6liebherr11602009-04-20 18:44

    TMS700E, TMS 900E, RT875, Sennebogen 5500 Starlifter, 2892 Manitex BT, Krupp KMK 4080 ,5125, Grove CM220, Any-- Tadano GR-***XL-1 unit ...simply fantastic those machines..You cant run those you cant run a crane ..period!

  7. #7drdcco2009-04-21 08:38

    Liebherr 1090-4 had to be the smoothest I've operated. Dave

  8. #8surfer-joe2009-04-21 19:43

    My favorite was probably a Manitowoc 4100 Vicon crawler, the 3900 was good too. I liked the torque convertor drives. Other crawlers like the Link-Belt 418, and 55-75 ton American and Koehrings did not suit me as well. I will say that the American was about as neat a crane inside the house as any I've ever encountered. Very non-cluttered. Dislike P&H truck and crawler mounted cranes. The magni-torque clutches were a constant source of trouble. All the Grove hydraulic models are good, with the 50 tonners being my favorite. I detested the Pettibone and P&H models, also Terex and Link-Belts. The newest Groves are really nice. Did not like the Tadano models.

  9. #9crane operator2009-04-27 20:58

    Hey lieberr1160- what's a grove cm 220? Something they only run in igloo's? Also local 139- I'm running a Grove rt 600 right now and I'm not that impressed. It's probably just me, but before this I was running a beat up terex 50 ton,(it was a rental unit from a nation wide company, and it had a hard life) and even though the turntable was quite loose, I think it would outpick this almost new grove. That old terex was had levers and a foot pedal for the boom, and I still prefer that to pilot hydraulics. I'm not as tired at the end of the day with pilot hydraulics, but they don't have that same feel. Don't get me wrong though, this new grove has got one switch that will make it beat that old terex all summer long, its the one that says A/C.

  10. #10td25c2009-04-27 21:49

    I forgot to mention that my K-12 insley and grove TM 250 have sliding windows and you can open up the windshield & roof glass.This helps in hot weather ,But I think they were designed this way so the operator could slide the window open to cuss out the carpenders when setting trusses.If I had a new crane with a/c,it would need a megaphone speaker system so I could cuss at the carpenders and still remain seated in the air conditioned cab.

  11. #11hvy 1ton2009-04-27 22:48

    You could stick a speaker on the end of the boom. When you get tired of yelling, just play some really bad music.

  12. #12td25c2009-04-27 22:59

    Thats a good idea hvy1ton.I still like to slide the window open to give a few choice words.

  13. #13crane operator2009-04-28 20:24

    The best window for informing carpenters of their transgressions is that top one 25 c. Because then you can stand up, point AND yell at the same time.

  14. #14Taylortractornu2009-04-29 20:23

    When I was 21 I worked for Huffman construction of Poplar bluff MO on a job in Alabama and I learned alot o nthat job. I worked up to a secondary crane ooperator and the lead operator put me out on a a 5299 Amaerican crawler crane. he minded me that When I learned this one I could run the 222 Manitowoc. On the same job I also got to run an RT30 Terex and i really liked itfor manuvering that job and laying some deep runs of pipe. I have a friend that has an older Terex boom on a Ford truck that I relly like Its super smooth to his old Pitman. I have also run a few Limas and I they were old, I liked the 52099 the best for some reason. I really got to know the old girl. One reason I liked it there wasnt any new operators that wanted to run it because of the maintenance of the air system and it being a friction crane. I used to get teased about a family sized bucket of talcum poweder behind the seat.

  15. #15Big Iron2009-04-29 22:23

    3900, 4000, 4100 S1 & S@, 4600 S4 great cranes to run, even spent some time in an old 2300 equipped with a heel boom and grapples to load logs with in the late 60's. I did like my 218 LB for drilling. The 11320 American was a nice crane to run also. The photo in my avatar is the last 4100 i ran on the North Slope, and she was a dandy!:drinkup

  16. #16liebherr11602009-05-01 17:47

    No not in and igloo ..but manure pile's It was a rubber tracked 22T unit..quite certain it had the ATS540 boom in it ...Grove also made a 990 version steel tracked unit that was 90T capacity.. Cant find anything now ..but I was certain its designation was CM xxx..

  17. #17dieselsambo2009-05-14 20:27

    running a p&h 9125 with the Magni-torque took me some time not too bad now!

  18. #18BLASZER2009-05-25 08:18

    Link-Belt 518 crawler

  19. #19dieselsambo2009-05-25 18:58

    jf white Jf white has a crawler crane in ct. it has a number 308 on the side is that the model? Did not see anything on link belts web site with that model! it doesn't look more than 10 years old. Nice lookin crane with fixed leads

  20. #20piledriving2009-05-25 19:20

    Link-Belt 518, American 9310, Manitowoc 4100 Justin

  21. #21jeffk2u2009-08-10 22:32

    help !! I just started a job running a 4000 manitowoc with The Johnson Bar Why not back down a heavy load in manual with torque converter and throttle verses Johnson bar in air mode? What are the pitfalls if any? I understand the system for light loads.. but it seems like you have more control in manual for heavy loads with just using the brake and throttle with torque converter. Am I missing something??

  22. #22Rick Rowlands2009-08-12 22:24

    I've really only operated a couple of cranes in my life, a small Pettibone Multikrane back when we were dismantling the Tod Engine in 1996-97, and of course the Insley K-12, of which I've made a grand total of one lift with so far (but have spent 200 hours repairing and refurbishing). But you asked my favorite crane, and although not in your list I would have to say my favorite is our 35 ton Morgan overhead crane. After 115 years in service she'll still lift the rated load!

  23. #23Rindfuss322009-08-16 22:42

    I'm a manitowoc 4100 man for sure.

  24. #24shipman2009-08-20 19:29

    My favorite crane is located at our marina/boat yard, been launching sailboats with it since 1973, that era is coming to an end, I'll see if I can get a pic up once I figure out how to do it. Got a Grove rt59s coming to replace "old faithful"

  25. #25shipman2009-08-20 23:37

    Old Faithful My favorite crane, soon to be de-commished. Anybody want it?

  26. #26Dualie2009-08-21 01:38

    WOW an old guy derrick! thats a relic for sure. If you wernt so far away i would buy it for scrap value for sure. havent seen one of those in going on 20 years.

  27. #27liebherr11602009-08-21 19:56

    Found the link ...this is the CM 990 version http://www.europe-machinery.com/used/crawler-crane/780713/grove-cm-990.html

  28. #28notime19772009-09-06 12:22

    What is a good crane for dragline work ?? I am new to board and am looking at trying to find a dragline.....any suggestions?

  29. #29willie592009-09-06 13:15

    Welcome to the forum notime1977. :usa Now that you have 3 posts, you'll lose the probationary status soon and be able to start a new thread about your question.

  30. #30hoosier2009-10-24 07:24

    For all around crane - Clyde whirley very stout rig. Was at Jeffboat unless a rookie has turned it over. Crawler - the 888 was a nice and smooth ride.

  31. #31zander2009-10-25 15:32

    Any Kato for me fellas!

  32. #32chero762009-11-01 23:28

    Anyone a dragline/crane to sell? should be 60 tonns a.d aabove.

  33. #33Impact2009-11-29 09:19

    New here. This is my second post. I cracked up laughing at the "transgressions of carpeneters" posts. Gotta love their signals. Gotta love how they expect you to slide a 40' truss under their 12' 2 x 4 brace as you boom down. I now refuse to do that or even try. Back in the 70's we used an old home built winch truck to lift equipment. Winch worked off a reversible PTO. Operator sat in the driver's cab. Backed the truck around to where you needed it. Set the parking brake, or get someone to scotch your wheels, clutch it, engage the PTO for up or down. Pretty crude but it worked. We didn't know what a forklift was in those days. Bought a 6 ton RO stinger after that. 40-50' of boom I think. Traded it for a 25 ton boom truck we mounted on an old International truck. Still have it. Came across a TMS300LP Grove a few years back. Like "crane operator" I like this old crane, although the maintenance is about to drive me crazy. Re built engine, electrical problems, had the extend cylinder split and leak, can't seem to keep tires on it. About to get everything rebuilt on it, and hoping for better luck. Drives like an old log truck, but once it's set-up--it's good. Bought a Grove 50 ton All terrain last summer. 1999 model, AT700D. Drives like a cadillac down the highway. Love the four wheel steer and automatic transmission. Operates pretty smooth. But, on the load charts, within most workable ranges the old TMS300 is practically as strong.

  34. #34No1Hookman2009-12-18 21:45

    Favorite cranes--Grove RT65S, RT745, TTS 870 GMK6250, Manitowoc (Kobelco) 12000. Not necessarily in that order. I've farted in a lot of seats in the last 30+ years.

  35. #35chadjacobs2009-12-19 18:41

    Hello to all from a new member!! Hi all glad to be a part of your forum. Have some questions to put in a thread as sonn as I can. I guess my favorite crane so far would be a Demag ac100. The structure made you feel invincible. The most confidence inspiring crane I ever ran. So far....... I just got a Faun atf110g and I'm pretty tickled with it!

  36. #36wallsonsupplier2009-12-22 21:13

    Tower crane : type QTZ31.5, QTZ40, QTZ 63, QTZ80, QTZ125, QTZ160,QTZ200 and QTZ315 the free height from 31.6m to 53m, up to height from 100m to 301m, max load from 3ton to 16 tons. Mobile tower crane : on the basic of QTZ 63, QTZ80, QTZ125, QTZ160,QTZ200 and QTZ315 www.wasico.com

  37. #37mljohn2009-12-23 19:18

    kato? saw one of those in taji iraq a couple years ago some haji's were ram roding concrete barriers with it:usa:usa

  38. #38classictruckman2010-01-03 09:13

    Found a picture and load chart here, not sure its the machine your talking about: http://www.nationalcrane.com/MCG_GRO/Downloads/EN/Archive_Lit_SP_APP.asp

  39. #39cat994ca2010-01-10 18:10

    The Greatest crane I have operated to date is the Maeda MC305C-2. It is a mini crawler crane with a 45ft stick and 41ft to the hook It's small at 3.25T lift at 8ft off centre and 20ft of stick. I have you big guys (25T or better) pick and place it any where it is needed. Inside malls,hospitals or gas and oil plants, If I'm unable to walk to it.

  40. #40classictruckman2010-01-11 20:26

    Just bought a Komatsu LC755, its got a 4.9 metric ton Maeda boom on it. Took it to get a tune up because it was smoking a bit, turned out the previous owner ran it out of antifreeze and overheated the engine cracking pistion 1 then when it wasn't starting well(low compresion in cylinder 1) they used ether to get it going destroying the rings and pistons on 2 and 3. Got it back today and its running well, now we just have to get enough work to pay the repair bill.

  41. #41liebherr11602010-01-11 20:32

    Yup thats her .. Slickest thing on rubber ..And tree jobs would be a breeze ..no ground pressure to speak of and a chart out 5° out of level ..

  42. #42classictruckman2010-01-11 21:01

    Yeah, but you've gotta have a lot trees on one site to afford the float charges though.

  43. #43classictruckman2010-01-11 21:09

    What do you think of this one for tree work, might get in where that upended Grove 5175 couldn't

  44. #44jhschul2872010-01-12 04:45

    That is precious.

  45. #45liebherr11602010-01-12 08:54

    Got a chart there ..for that Komatsu The lil Grove ..she aint so bad ..a tridem float and tandem tractor But the rubber tracks last i heard were $35k ....each ....

  46. #46heavylift2010-01-12 15:55

    http://www.maedausa.com/brochures09/LC785_09.pdf this is for a LC785 I found nothing at Komatsu , but this popped up as a komatsu/maeda

  47. #47liebherr11602010-01-12 17:06

    Thanks .. Well she would have her place servicing mine equipment and such ..Would be real handy in a industrial plant envirionment ..better than a 8 ton carry deck.. I cant believe they put a jib on it ..Atleast they could have made the tracks extend .. But hey ..the chart include's boom deflection ..nice .. see if liebherr and demag can do that... naught..

  48. #48classictruckman2010-01-13 07:09

    So far it seems like a very strong little machine, for a 5 tonner. how do liebherr and demag write deflection into their notes? I think every chart I've looked at said to measure radius after the pick to include deflection.

  49. #49liebherr11602010-01-13 09:04

    Ive never seen those note's in there charts ..usally all that happens is you put the block over center ..take a little load and watch the radius ..boom up to maintain that radius or hoist ....all the while watching a signal person ..who' i hope is watching the alignment of the head over the load and not the load ...

  50. #50liebherr11602010-01-13 10:53

    I think I understand that .. As written in the charts ..the radius doesn't include boom deflection .. A pick at 35feet is a pick at 35feet ...the deflection has to be compensated for by the operator.. However ..I have done job's where I was a few inches from being boom bound ..and relied on the deflection to bend the boom out over center of the load ..And surprisingly enough ..I often have to boom up a little to keep it from drifting away from the crane when I get holed of it .. This one relay station I did for Roger's Telecoms ..in downtown Toronto springs to mind ..Grove TMS 700E 110'main 56Jib @ 25° load was 3500lbs..She was 3 feet short on the dry run ..I hoped deflection would get me there and it did with a little under a foot from the wall .. Deflection can be a good thing in some respects .. The other side if that coin .on a blind lift .is when you have a crew that doesnt know which way a crane goes ..Your insisting they make bloody sure that your over the load center BEFORE they hook you on ..they dont get it and the load even though your maintaining your radius on it ..shifts one way or the other ..doesn't usually result in anything significant .. If your adamant enough they'll just do what they are told to the letter ..

  51. #51willie592010-01-13 19:58

    Nice LC755 classictruckman. Does the load moment indicator working on your unit, they're handy to have on those machines. Is the load chart in lbs or kg? Be sure and check the sheave bearings. They use a shielded ball bearing in the sheaves. Over time, they get a little dry, they'll kill themselves once that happens.

  52. #52classictruckman2010-01-13 22:14

    Yes the LMI works well, unfortunatly its in kgs. Weve been trying to put oil in the sheaves because the more we look at the machine the less maintenance we think the last owner did.

  53. #53willie592010-01-14 00:07

    Then the LMI will match what's on your load chart, which is a good thing. But if your used to working in lbs, it can be confusing doing coversions on site. You can get a load chart in lbs from Associated Graphix in Ohio. Brent should have a load chart in his files that's in lbs where he did one for me. http://www.associatedgraphix.com/ You can stick it on your side glass along with the kg chart. Tell him Paul from ATCO Equipment told you to call. If he doesn't find it, call me, I'm going to kick his #%*@! It's been a while since I've worked on a 755, but I'm thinking I replaced shielded bearings with sealed/lubricated bearings, can't remember for sure. I'll check when I get back to work if I made any notes about this.

  54. #54spikey2010-01-14 00:31

    Hello everyone, I had to register to get in on this one. My favorites so far would be the pecco 400 "tower" and an old Washington Whirly.

  55. #55classictruckman2010-01-14 08:33

    We are already having loadcharts made in english, not in pounds though because we don't want to confuse numbers with the LMI, we are getting the radius in both feet and meters though.

  56. #56Linkbelt HC2010-02-05 22:48

    Little crawler Very nice little crawler! I am curious "Classic" what class of hoisting ticket will be required to operate your crawler? In Alberta, any "mobile crane" (not including boom trucks) under 15ton capacity requires by OH&S the operator to be deemed "competent" by the employer. Over 15ton then it must be an apprentice or journeyman operator.

  57. #57classictruckman2010-02-06 00:14

    Well it only has a 5 ton max rating so a 0-8ton ticket would cover it. The problem is that the 0-8 is a week long course and doesn't really teach much about crawler machines, it meant mainly for guys running delivery trucks.

  58. #58boomguy2010-02-06 10:27

    I was wondering if we need a ticket for our unic mini crane? Some of the oil companys ask for it but i dont know if its required by law. It has a max capacity of 6200lbs

  59. #59liebherr11602010-02-06 11:58

    Boom guy ..Im seeing it more and more ..the question of license is poping up ..because nobdy in house wants to deem somebody competent only,to have a accident later on .. with the license ..they can put you to work and lay all responsabilty on the operator ..and no office geeks loose their jobs if a guy has an accident that has a license.. Its plain politic's and everybody covering their butt ..insurance .. Required by law dosent mean anything .. A company can do better than the law ..by insiting on licensed operator's .. The Safety act allows for this ..and more over ,if a company does better than appicable law ..they will be fully backed by the Act and its legal department ..

  60. #60boomguy2010-02-06 13:12

    I know its just a boomtruck but this is my fav. It was new in this pic

  61. #61boomguy2010-02-06 13:18

    And this one is our little toy, very handy when working in some of the old gas plants in the area.

  62. #62liebherr11602010-02-06 13:41

    unic ==== A man who lacks functional testicles, although the proper spelling is Eunuch,

  63. #63boomguy2010-02-06 13:54

    Lol liebherr i did not name it but when i see the money it makes at the end of the month it can be called whaaaat everrrrr it wants. Its 2 yrs old and the repair bill is 0 other than yearly inspections and service. Built in Japan its one well built machine.:tong

  64. #64Tiny2010-02-06 13:58

    That looks handier than a pocket on a shirt

  65. #65td25c2010-02-06 19:49

    Cool cranes :notworthyI like the looks of the Western Star /Manitex truck crane boomguy.And yes,the Unic rigg looks very handy for tight areas.I understand when all folded up they will fit trough most walk in doors. www.unic-cranes.co.uk/

  66. #66liebherr11602010-02-06 19:53

    UNIC CRANES For the guy who doesn't have the testicles to run anything else .....

  67. #67boomguy2010-02-06 20:21

    its 24" wide in transport mode we have walked it into our office before. more and more companies are getting away from letting their employees lift anything heavy so that is where this thing works so well

  68. #68td25c2010-02-06 20:44

    It sure looks like a handy rigg for working inside confined spaces.

  69. #69liebherr11602010-02-06 21:03

    they are handy ..like everything else the right tool for the job ..Its not so much the tight spaces ..The more compact you make a unit ..the tighter the space somebody will dream up to put it in .. The biggest advantage to the Lil' Unic is its foot print ..On a shut down in a major plant ..floor space and laneway real estate is at a premium ..These lil guy's get in a small man-way ..and go to work ..all the while ..fork trucks and other traffic are clear in the lane way ..which may otherwise be blocked or partially blocked by a Broderson ..or similar crane ..

  70. #70cranedude072010-02-06 21:40

    I've only run a link belt RTC8050. It was pretty smooth running. A manitowoc 18000 would have to be my favorite crane

  71. #71td25c2010-02-06 21:47

    I agree liebherr1160,the Unic looks like a pretty nice crane for tight spots.:cool2.check out this link on cranes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_(machine )

  72. #72Linkbelt HC2010-02-07 00:44

    Tickets and souch Hi; Since your "little Unic fellow" is below 15 ton capacity, the short answer is no, a journeyman crane operator or apprentice is not required as the operator. Under Alberta OH & S Regs it is indeed a "competent" employee that may operate the machine. It would be the same training as a carrydeck, EOT or small yard crane operator would receive. It might not be "right" but... that is how the book reads. If you need to research it for your customers, Part 6 of OH &S is the Crane section and the 2nd Section of Alberta Industry Training refers to Mobile Cranes and lists the size of machines. By the way what model is your Manitex? Did it come from NWC in Nisku?

  73. #73boomguy2010-02-07 12:02

    Thanks Linkbelt, thats what i understood the law to be. And Yes the manitex is from NWC its a 4596.

  74. #74liebherr11602010-02-07 13:05

    to read the book ..Its right ..and thats how it should be .. Just dont forget ..nor dismiss that the site your on may require a journey person ticket ..Its their barbque,their rule's..Dont like our site rule's ..leave ..or have you removed ..its that simple really .. The Union may contest it ..but..its site rules and a condition of employment upon coming onto site .. You were saying some sites are asking for tickets ..was I right there Boomguy ?..

  75. #75willie592010-02-07 14:15

    Makes sense to me Liebherr. Everything is about legal liability nowdays. If a site stipulates that an operator have a ticket, by doing so the ticket confirms the site is getting a trained/qualified operator. If an incident occors, the operator would carry the burden of liability more than the site operator. That's the way I see it anyway.

  76. #76boomguy2010-02-07 14:38

    Very much so, Talisman,Shell,Suncor and Conoco are the 4 main ones it works for and all of them require hoisting tickets or at least be an apprentice.

  77. #77Linkbelt HC2010-02-07 21:35

    tickets and qualifications Hey all; Don't take me the wrong way. I support formal training and experience way more than allowing any of the other trades into a machine. However, the problem develops when you ask an apprentice to operate a smaller machine for less cash when everyone wants to be in or near the big hook! Now, when it comes to a request for a ticketed operator to be present, what type of ticket would be appropriate?? If the machine has 6000lbs of capacity would a ticket issued by a Training Institute (there are two in Alberta) that gave a several day course be sufficient? This would be similar to a qualification for forklift or skidsteer or even rigging that is reverified every couple of years. Some of the companies that you have mentioned also require the mobile crane operators to be Red Seal qualified. Now most of us realize there is very little difference once an apprentice has completed their final year exam and practical evaluation, other than completing another exam. So, I guess I have to wonder where does the ticket saga end.... Or, begin for that matter. Just my $0.02

  78. #78liebherr11602010-02-08 18:47

    The ticket starts and ends with Liability .. I'm a red seal op myself ..the guy holding an Alberta license after the apprenticeship ..by and large we're both equal ..To answer your question is simple ..It depends on who's sitting in an office dreaming up safer ways to get a simple task done ..If its the policy of the site to have ticketed operators ..journeyman or equivalent ..then there's no argument .. The crane and forklift ..will never be put in the same catagory ..simply because "cable running over a Sheave" is what makes a crane ....(dont tell the boom truck guys i said that ) There are booms for Telescopic forlifts that have a winch on it and the cable runs over a sheave ..its now a crane ..Ive had that argument with the fitter's and won .. took a 1/2 hr .. in another province But what shouldn't be done..Is if you have had the same guys on site ..who have developed a re-pore ..and with the FLRA ..there's written record of good operating ability 100's of times over ,to change the rules and send them down the road ..that's wrong .. An oportunity to garnish the appropriate paper work should be allowed ..and a time frame set ..Minimum 1yr ..Or on a case by case basis .. Linkbelt HC Im not trying to argue ..or be insulting ..I see this as good conversation ..

  79. #79Linkbelt HC2010-02-09 22:37

    Tickets and Qualification Hey; No worries, I am a huge proponent of formal Institute training and credible evaluations prior to the issuing of tickets. I am a Red Seal Operator with experience in two provinces and with the Cdn Army. I agree that " any and all hoisting " devices require more than a weekend of training. It amazes me that because a winch on a Zoom Boom or "Tele Handler" jib is under 2000kgs that any labourer on a worksite can hop in the cab. The same holds true for a lineman running a pole truck... However, I also know that Industry will holler Blue Murder if every operator was mandated to go back to school. BC is having tremendous difficulties addressing it's licensing woes. It is also interesting that our trade for all of the training and regulations does not hold a list of operators with poor reputations. The other issue I find troublesome when we start discussing liability, is that once an operator has reached journeyman status, there is no "advanced" or "senior" crane operator training available. (Yes, OETIO has crane operator refresher training and most independent places have extra load chart courses available but it is not the same) I am pretty sure you have been doing this for awhile..I've been at it since '94, and I still learn something new on a regular basis. I believe that every operator when he arrives on site better do his/her best to follow the "Due Dilligence" guidleines from OH &S. I also think that our Industry needs to conduct another cross country review similar to the 2006 Red Seal meeting to discuss many of the training issues. But hey that's just my $0.02.

  80. #80liebherr11602010-02-10 10:03

    BC is on a planet all their own ..I sat with two Red Seal operators out of that province..Im sure there's good ones ..but holy crap ..I'll leave it at that .. Nova Scotia dosent reconise the Red Seal.. I think i know why ..but im not getting into the politics with that .. When you see those boom's on those "Tele Handler" ..look for the A2B ..and then get the steward or safety guy ..every crane or similar hoisting device is to be equiped with one . then fish out the load chart.. The boom should be married to the machine its mounted to paper wise ..right down to the serial number.. Ive been in Alberta a few times ..I have no issue's with apprentices ..But i see the score ..with some outfitts ..they will have a journeyman sign of on an apprentivce on a larger machine just to stiff the operator on a smaller unit to save money ..Sterling ,Mammoet ,Northern Crane ,My Shak..they are all guilty of it .. I signed of one kid .while i was there ..only because him and I were on the same site ..100ft apart on the same capacity and make unit ..It took me more than a week ..versus the 8hr's the push wanted at the start ..

  81. #81Linkbelt HC2010-02-10 19:26

    Apprentices and provinces I think part of the problem with province's not recognizing the Red Seal as it was originally intended, has come about from the varied provincial training required for each different provincial ticket. Not all of the provinces require a practical evaluation on each type of machine. (mobile hydraulic and a live drawworks friction conventional) I know 1st hand that both New Brunswick and Alberta do I believe BC is the same if you have attended the "Training Plan" However, the Red Seal is only a 4 hour extra theory exam written after an apprentice completes his provincial journeyman written exams and in a couple provinces the practical evaluation. So..., until some areas get with the idea behind the program, I think we will continue to have cross border training issues:beatsme Of course I kinda left out some of my brethren that are of the "Grandfathered" era guys. Don't get me wrong, again some are very knowledgeable... some however have a great deal of difficulty calculating a percent of capacity or explaining how to calculate a maximum capacity with a specific site restriction. As for the journeyman, apprentice ratio, I think the worst invention was the cell phone. Now, as long as the journeyman is in contact with the apprentice, they don't even have to be in the same geographic location With all the regulations these days, you would think supervision would be something that was better identified. Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day was it.

  82. #82smitje2010-04-07 15:40

    Hello, new here... My favorites are Liebherr LR1750, operated for about 1 year, and now for 5 years already the good old Manitowoc M1200r, completely overhauled and modified for operating on a jack-up, installing foundations and topsite's for WindTurbineGenerators at sea... Nice and slowly...

  83. #83JimC2010-04-24 00:49

    I am actually posting this to get some privileges on the board, I may be dating myself here, but years ago I started on a grove tms120, then a tms150, then a tms155, then went to the tms3oo, that 300 was a great machine to run,. JImC

  84. #84laurent o.e.9872010-04-24 18:29

    Sweet rig what 's she got under the hood?

  85. #85boomguy2010-04-24 20:56

    515 detroit

  86. #86laurent o.e.9872010-04-24 21:32

    big rig big power.... very nice....

  87. #87tom trees2010-05-05 21:14

    heres some pic of my friends crane tom trees

  88. #88tom trees2010-05-05 21:16
  89. #89laurent o.e.9872010-05-06 06:06

    Wow!!! You guys don't mess around...That is awesome...

  90. #90classictruckman2010-05-09 09:22

    Is that a BE painted up like a NW?

  91. #91FWDtruckparts2010-05-12 22:56

    I have a 1954 NorthWest Model 6 all manual Dragline. It has Feather touch cluthches. I am not trying to say it is smooth, it's just could for building strong leg muscles and a strong upper body. If you dig for 8 hours you really feel like you have put in a full day! Plus at least 1 hour to grease it.

  92. #92malin2010-05-20 02:38

    Hello everyone, I was browsing around the forum and find a interesting thread here. It will be useful sharing for many persona all around the world searching for this information.

  93. #93tom trees2010-05-31 19:14
  94. #94tom trees2010-05-31 19:33

    out on my boat today tom trees

  95. #95Impact2010-07-04 09:40

    My favorite crane is the one with no debt.

  96. #96Tiny2010-07-04 10:29

    I'm gunna look at this from a different direction.I don't operate but move cranes most every day and for me a 777 Manitowoc for the size of machine I like the best. If you have the room it can be totally a self erecting machine.We don't do it that way because The Boom Trucks are way faster. Lots of little things like only two boom pins drive per section,No boom cable to deal with.For the capacity the boom is small so no ladder needed.Lifting lugs built right on the boom so the forgetful guys don't miss center.The house load is the only oversize load ect ect

  97. #97Buckethead2010-07-04 10:42

    Favorite crane? Link-Belt LS418.

  98. #98liebherr11602010-07-04 11:02

    Company I used to work for thought a 28t manitex was the cats butt to chase a AC650 around to do luffer ..It made it through one job and never used it again ..a 45T krupp,35grove ,60 grove ..a few times the 80t Krupp..Cranes should really be used to build cranes .. Tiny..That crane loads her own countweight to dont it.. I remember..on a 333(new 900Hrs) ,I think it was , Dream to put together ..the allstar that was doing the erection ,knowledgable guy ..but attitude...everything went great ..untill the counterweight..I sat the base where he wanted ..then went back for the rest ..Instead ..he rasied and dogged the base and the proceded to get the rest ..a co-worker mentioned that that she would self load..nope ..thats not how they do it ..any way ..8 slabs and two small dents the size of teaspoons in the rear sheet metal where there were none before, ..the guy began to tear me a new one on the scraps and dents ..when his boss threw the manual at him ..and brought in another guy to run it .. Wish I could get around that much Iron again ..

  99. #99Tiny2010-07-04 11:18

    Yes Sir , Build the the stack and pick it up with the mast and boom cylinders in one chunk

  100. #100tom trees2010-07-04 20:27

    yes but thear is a old north west in that yard tom

  101. #101trucker12010-07-05 13:29

    Tiny: is that your trailer with the track frame on it??? Looks like a Fruehauf stretch with sliding tandems. Am I right?? George

  102. #102Tiny2010-07-05 14:06

    Yes Sir, You are to a point the sliding tandems have been modified a bit

  103. #103BigIron252010-07-17 17:41

    never ran one... but a manitowoc 4100W or 4100 ringer

  104. #104gmk guy2011-02-14 20:31

    mine are gmk 3055 and gmk4115l

  105. #105BigIron252011-02-15 20:56

    Favorite crane to watch... Manitowoc 4100 never had a chance to operate :/ , favorite crane to operate Manitowoc 2250.

  106. #106gmk guy2011-02-18 21:19

    gmks are great cranes all around we have 3 gmk 3055s and 1 gmk 4115l

  107. #107BigIron252011-02-18 21:26

    I have to agree, we run a fleet of Heavy GMKs, and just got an a Demag AC200 last year. Maybe its just because were not used to a Terex/Demag (or were all very biased on our history with GMKs) but none of us like the white elephant in our yard of yellow iron. Do you have to run with boom dollies in Mass.? Our smallest was a GMK4100 and it had a three axle dolly.

  108. #108classictruckman2011-02-18 22:32

    Hey you obviously work for Mayer, were you there at the seminar during November? I loved running that 3055 even if it was only for a few minutes.

  109. #109strut2011-02-22 15:11

    AM on a demag tc 2800-1, a great crane

  110. #110mantirig2011-04-22 23:05

    working a 41s2 on a brage setting 70 ft.sheet pile and 17,000 lb. vibro hammer the soil is tough takes 4 weeks to hit grade with 56 sheets. can take hammer to 115ft. well in my chart. alot of vibration 41 don't seem to mind one bit. 78 model. been keeping a close eye on all the pins and keepers. wish that darn hammer would break down but I guess the soon we get done the better lol. A few years back was moving a lot of 8 by 16 wooded matts with a 60 ton Grove at full throttle it made quick work of them, good crane. My favorite is the 3900 it just feels good with 160 main and 40 jib

  111. #111gostr8r2011-06-25 00:02

    I really grew attached to this LS-718 Link Belt in the Heavy Lift ring attachment configuration. It was the only 718 in the ring ever built to have forward mounted c/w's for the purpose of making it barge capable in this set ring up. It also doesn't have the boom base right in front of the operators cab like the Manitowoc 4,100W Ringer does. On that one you can't see out the front glass at your riggers on the ground. I HATED having to lean out of the cab to see the hook when it was actually right in front of me! http://s1029.photobucket.com/albums...Corp projects/?action=view&current=d626-1.jpg

  112. #112Hard Nocks2011-11-23 10:00

    I am new to the board, in the last year of my Mobile Crane apprenticeship, but have been a journeyman boom truck operator for over 14 years. I think my favorite crane I have ran is the Tadano gr-300xl. If the crew needed a hair, I could give it too them, and not a bit extra! My favorite boom truck was the one I ran for years, the Weldco 40 ton. I prefered the 97' boom, but mostly ran the 75' model. I think their 45 ton is a better machine yet, but don't really have any time in them. I don't really care for my current machine, a grove rt530e-2... The machine is ok, but don't care for this machines control lag time. Oh well if I can make this thing look good, I shouldn't have much problems with anything else!