Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fed use tax 2290 and state tax

jmac ยท 2006-06-16 17:40

Jeff you said that I should get this, The reg is 55,000 gvwr. I got this of the fed site. Federal Highway Use Tax (Form 2290) All motor vehicles with a GVWR over 54,000 pounds are required to pay an annual road use tax to the Federal Government. This tax is paid using Form 2290. The form is an Internal Revenue Service Form and payments are due annually. State license plates will not be renewed if the vehicle owner cannot show proof of payment of this tax. Third party filing of this tax payment is recommended as cost effective for most small trucking companies. AMCS will obtain this service for you as an option through a recommended tax service provider. AMCS makes no charges for these referrals. Do think I still need this? Also New York State has a road tax do think the same rule is true?

Replies6
  1. #1CharlieFoxtrot2006-06-16 18:35

    You definitely need the Fed. IIRC you definitely have to have the NY HUT too. kevin

  2. #2jmac2006-06-16 22:32

    My post was wrong, sorry. The truck is registered for 54,000 gvwr The federal guidlines state "trucks over 55,000 lbs." not 54,000 I ment to change the GVWR of my truck not the guidlines that I pasted from the FEd's web site. If this is correct than I would not need IIRC The New York HUT is trucks over 18,000 lbs so I sent that in today from #TMT-1 Am I missing something?

  3. #3Jeff D.2006-06-16 23:15

    You can't be wrong this forum.You're just going to have to get the GVWR changed to 55K,and pay the 2290 now,so you'de be right.:bouncegri You've a DOT#,a NYHUT,and as long as NY doesn't require intrastate authority to haul dirt in the state,you should be good to go.:thumbsup (nobodies spoken up saying you need it there yet so...must not??)

  4. #4digger242j2006-06-16 23:38

    What mean that? :wink2

  5. #5Jeff D.2006-06-16 23:43

    A simple mispelling............it should have read "You can't also be wrong...":yup I don't like competition.:nono

  6. #6jmac2006-06-17 11:44

    Jeff, Thanks you and digger keep this thing very interesting.! :thumbsup