I'm new to public work, can't say I'm to enthused about all the red tape involved in tring to get a job. Used to be customers would just call me or send me a set of plans to bid from. This public stuff is all internet based, Duns #'s, passwords, naics codes, SBE, codes for this and codes for that, all I want is some dirt to bid on. Why so complicated?
Yeah, you got it right. I joined and it's a lot of extra BS plus having your personal info on the web has lead to alot spam callers and crap emails. Some people will bid on a outastate job and they will try to get you to sub some local work. Time are tight, what to do? :drinkup
Federal biz, CCR registration and bidding red tape: DPete, you forgot: BPN... ORCA... SUB - Net... CAGE Code... MPIN... Ah, heck... just go here and read all 66 pages, be clear as mud in no time... https://www.fbo.gov/downloads/FBO_Vendor_Guide.pdf There's even codes, for codes... And then, there's... VIPR ... Stay away from water tenders!!! OCR
No lie, it's a full time job just keeping track of all those codes :cool2 The Fish & Wildlife has a pretty good job listed here, gotta jump through their hoops I guess frustrating though
its to help keep deadbeat companies from bidding work
The job I was interested in was restoring wetlands (56K yards of scraper dirt )it had 77 pages of regs when I finally got to the number to call for a job walk the lady said the job has been canceled Duh, how about posting canceled on the web site :Banghead what a waste of time !
i completed all the "red tape" while eating lunch lol
What I have realized is that in most instances there is no penalty for default. This means people will come in and submit a low ball bid and get the job. Then they will work just a little and default. I was recently outbid on a job in my own backyard (so to speak) by a company from the pacific northwest. There is absolutely no way they will be able to satisfy the contract without defaulting, and they will not be penalized for it. The feds come out good because they get a lot of work done very cheap sometimes. I think they realize this and that is why it is done this way. If it is a fed contract that involves stimulus funds (ARRA) it is an even bigger headache.(Paperwork)