U.S. EPA and DOT began developing average fuel economy regulations for light trucks and cars that could raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards to 62 mpg by 2025. (OK, so in this scenario, pickups might be required to hit, say, 48 mpg.) Actual regulation is more than a year away. Follow the links to find out how to let the regulators know what you think. http://bit.ly/afp48d L
So, I guess there proposing installing pedals, sprockets, and chains so we can pedal our vehicle on the way to work huh? Good grief!
That would work ATCO.Only then they would change the standard from mpg (miles per gallon) to MPCB ( miles per cheesburger).
Uh uhh, ain't gonna get my gun or my cheeseburger.
Better than that, just cut out the floor and go Fred Flintstone style. Need to eat bronto burgers for fuel.
They will fuel them with unobtainium.
Seems to me they get cheaper made every year , if they go that route if a fellow gets hit with a bumble bee it will put a dent in it. My wife bought a new SUV thats made over seas I went to change the oil filter and there was no way my hand could reach up to get it. So I took the torch and cut a hole though the inter fender well, never did tell her eather.
Autocar, im suprised you needed a torch. These days you only need a pocketknife it seems....cheap cheap cheap....:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead
I must have missed the announcement when they voted to repeal the laws of physics. Either that, or our next generation pick ups will make the smart car look roomy.
Feds propose mandating pickup truck fuel economy up to 62 mpg: Nope, no pedals... ain't gonna run on cheeseburgers either.... Won't need unobtainium, or bronto burgers for fuel.... Told all you nay-sayers and scoffers, to buy in while you had the chance... but, nooooo... just laugh, laugh... :Banghead So, just been storing it till needed... perseverance pays off, you know. Well, off to seek my fortune, right here:↓ Yup... won't be no pedalin' for me... :tong OCR... :lmao
If it is possible and I'm sure it could be done just think what its going to cost for a new truck. Switching from from LSD to ULSD cost us $1 more a gal for diesel. Just imagine the the cost to R&D double and them the mileage of todays vehicles will be. Then add on all the safety test ETC and the massive problems that this new generation vehicle will have. No ones going to be buying new trucks any more and ya know there doing so well in sales right now too.
I've know a few who took trips on LSD but never left the farm.
By God that's it! OCR, you need LSD to make ur perpetual motion machine work! :lmao
how many miles will they get to the windup?
Yair...I have to say it. You blokes don't seem to get it. Whether you kick or scream about it you are going to have to change. There is no justification for family cars of more than about 1.8 litres or pickups/work utes of over 2.5...that would go along way to reaching those CAFE numbers. Using a 7.3 double cab dualie as a daily ride is absolute over the top crap. Only in the Americas does such nonsense occur.
takes weight to move weight. Your never going to haul a usefull load with ute.
Missed again,this is NOT about one country or another , Its about an uncontrolled US government being in every nook and cranny of our lives. Just one more Proposed deal that they are running up the flagpole. BTW, Smallest car engine on my place is a weak kneed 3.4 (kids car ) wifes car is a 5.0 plow truck is a 6.6 one ton is a 5.7 mud truck will be 7.0 + van is a 5.2
Yair...this is also about the fact that it is one world and the low oil light is blinking. That well that blew out in the Gulf of Mexico would have run the world for maybe thirty hours...they gonna hafta find one of them every couple of days to keep your big rigs thumping. I want a little bit for my ute.
I must have miss the low oil light is that right next to the man made global warming control knob? Last I checked we're finding new oil reserves every day and know of more then enough to run the next 100 years just in Alaska alone. I do wish we would move away from oil though a nuclear mega cad dually would be bad ass. The great thing about our country is that we are FREE to decide if we want to buy and big rig or a ute.
Thats right. We are free to decide whether we wish to pay the premium to drive a big truck, or settle for the economy of a small one. One thing is, we have a shortage of choice when it comes to buying a small, economical truck. The big manufacturers figured they don't make enough on them, and sales were not great, so there are few suitable small trucks here. Used to be a Toyota or Ford Ranger, Chevy Luv, or the like could be used for economy. They have grown all of those trucks to be more mid sized and bigger, with similar capacity of the old time half ton trucks. They carry such a weight penalty with all the options stuck on them that you can't get good mileage for trying. On the other hand, the auto makers build what they can sell, and few in this country want to buy an economy truck. Another dose of $5.000 a gallon will change that though. Plus, there is a steady demand for towing ability. People do with pickups now what used to take a mid sized commercial truck. I pull a 16,000# trailer, so it takes a big truck to do it. Do I pull it everyday, No, but it is cheaper and easier to have one truck that will get it done than a small one that won't, and a big one that will. Like Dozerboy said, bring on a mini nuke reactor to power our big rigs. By the time oil runs out, there will be options. Until them, burn it if you can afford it.
Yair...you said it JDOFMEMI. Five bucks a gallon will clarify the thinking. How FREE will you feel when the Roadhouse is out of fuel? I have been an amateur oil watcher since we had boats tied up with no fuel in the 'seventies and I can tell you that in general the public have absolutely no idea of the oil supply situation. Another ten years or so and we will be looking at our options...a couple of tankers burning in the Straights of Hormuz would make for some interesting conversation. NOTHING can replace diesel fuel. It is the most convenient, safe, transportable and energy dense substance in our known universe and on principle is far too valuable to waste.
i'm willing to drive nuclear lol just as long as i can blow big clouds of steam on hondas!!!
I'm still going to be just as free as before we have plenty of fuel at the yard. Then that dries up well I won't have to worry about going to work, so I won't have to dive much. I can hit up the guys that I know that make Bio diesel too. When thats gone I'm free to push my truck, ride a horse, ride a bike, or walk. My truck puts a smile on my face and will still do so when I'm paying $5 a gal. I can here it now with me buddies have nuclear "Ya I upped the pressure in my pressure vessel from 2k PSI to 10K PSI and I can't even feel that 20K trailer any more."
You had me thinking today.I cannot think of a US built car that I can afford that had that small of an engine it.Don't think I have ever seen one.Closest was a Sonoma pickup (small).Would not get out of its own way. You have told us its non sense to have bigger engines but we ain't got any dinky ones.No reliable diesels that size at all in cars. I don't do imports so thats out also. Do you have any cars/trucks that are affordable getting 62 mpg?
Yair...Tiny I suppose its because there has never been a market for small efficient vehicles is the 'States. Your fuel is cheap and all you folks have grown up with big V8 powered vehicles being seen as "normal". Had to laugh, I was talking to a feller from Montana the other day and he reckoned all our pickups were "two thirds life size". . No we dont have any pickups that will do 62 mpg, I reckon that is pretty much a B/S ambit claim. However, when the demand is there I have no doubt that American technology will come up with small displacement engines that will rival the Europeans As I have said on other threads latest generation vehicles here are mostly 2.5 to 3litres and if driven carefully some will do 40 miles per U.S. gallon. The volume sellers here in the so called "one ton" class are all Japanese, mostly made in Thailand. A couple of Indian and Chinese makes are out there but are not in any numbers yet. Volkswagen have just announced a "conventional looking" one tonner and dualcab with a four cylinder, two litre, twin turbo engine. They reckon it goes like a train but man, all that complexity for a work truck. All these comments pertain to diesel engines of course.