Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat Allis 65B grader

FWD ยท 2016-03-14 22:02

Was wondering if anyone has thoughts on these grader? I have a 503A Galion grader with an IH diesel and 10' blade. I use it for grading back roads to lakes and woods. I like the size of it but the gearing of the grader is poor. I usually use 2nd gear which is a little slow, 3rd works for good roads but where good gravel is sparse 2nd is better. I guess because if you hit something there is less chance of breaking something. Reverse is very slow on the Galion (only one speed).This is a real pain as I do a lot of backing repairing small areas of roads. I have not been around a 65B but they have more gears and it seems (by the brochure) to be more modern. Just wondering what others thoughts are before I go looking. There seems to be a few 65B's around for sale. Thanks! FWD

Replies2
  1. #1Moonlite2016-03-16 01:09

    Got fiat alias that I'm working on wondering if it's worth an injector pump and oil pump. Parts are available but pricey

  2. #2DonBC2016-03-17 12:59

    I would have to say yes but I am a little biased. I have an old Allis Model D and they were the precursor to the M65, then the FA65, FA65B, FA65C and then the Noram 65E. Like anything that is old you have to know how it was treated and what parts might be hard to find. If it is in decent shape and you treat it well it should last a long time for the type of work that you are doing. I know what you mean about the gearing in the Galion 503 as they used the same Clarke transmission as the Allis Model D.