Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fiat Allis FL5 Tell me what you know

big builder ยท 2007-09-21 21:15

I have the opportunity to purchase an 1986 FA FL5 with around 4000 hrs on it. Seems in OK condition. Might need a ring gear from the sounds of it. One sprocket and chains is gone but runs well and steers well. Has anyone out there got any feedback on these machines? I have no history with track loaders or Fiat Allis. Thanks for everything.

Replies18
  1. #1ctkiteboarding2007-09-21 22:26

    i own a 1989 fl5 w 2k on the hr meter its a strong machine the electrical is a weak spot but other then that it has been a good little machine ,, if you can fix the stuff that needs attention and get a good price i would not hesitate to buy it ,, most guys here dont like the fat allis but if the # is right ,why not? , a similar size cat will be much more $$$$

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-09-21 22:33

    The Fiats are a pretty good machine I keep up a lot of them. Although I don't know anything about the fl 5's I have worked on 7GB's Fl 145's 10 & 14 c's & E's 195's 175's fl 7's 605b's and the list goes on. Don't let the lable decide if you buy any machine track record should be why or why not to buy.

  3. #3big builder2007-09-22 12:26

    my thoughts are it has about 4000 hr on it. Runs fine. Gauges don't work. Hydrulics seem fine. Brakes don't seem all that stong..... but I don't know if it is supposed to stop on a dime or not. Asking price is $ 12000.00 canadian. RHS chains and sprockets are right out of it. Can't see the rollers due to rock guards. Comes with 1 brand new idler wheel and seals. Bucket is fine. Bushings are fine. No cab. Needs paint too. Has a bad ring gear by the sounds of things. Starter grinds every two or three starts. ANy thoughts on whether it is good value or not.

  4. #4ctkiteboarding2007-09-22 15:35

    sounds alittle ruff ,,, 12k is way too much , my fl5 with a 4/1 work ready is 6 to 8k u.s.on a trade in if you can repair it cheap id say 1/2 that

  5. #5big builder2007-09-22 17:06

    Yes I think it is too much. It's not really is such rough shape. IT has sat for about three years now. I will make an offer and see. I have been trying to get parts prices for the machine. What is a good source for the under carriage parts for this?

  6. #6ctkiteboarding2007-09-22 19:19

    i go to the dealer locally good luck:usa

  7. #7AlabamaDirtGuy2007-10-25 08:20

    Good hours, stiff price. The ring and pinions are the weak point and getting harder to find. I'm told they're only available through salvage, not sure. The front idler bushing are prone to wear early also.

  8. #8CM19952007-10-25 18:59

    Welcome to the forums Alabamadirtguy!:drinkup Good to have another from the 'ham on the forum.

  9. #9big builder2007-10-25 20:06

    I am not exactly sure what the ring and pinion is?? Can you explain? The price is now down to 10 000. Canadian ( not that it matters right now) I have it here to try out. Seems to work well but it brakes better on one track then the other. Is there adjustment on these? It does have a bad spot on the ring gear. Oddly enough the engine stops in the exact same spot every time. I mark the harmonic balancer so that I can move the engine past the bad spot. It works perfect as long as I do this. The owner also put a brand new starter in it. I am not used to these machines. I find it a bit slow compared to the larger bobcats and more modern machines.

  10. #10AlabamaDirtGuy2007-10-25 21:05

    CM1995 thanks for the welcome! I wouldn't think the spot where the engine stops would have anything to do with the ring and pinion. By chance would the poorly operating brake be on the same side as the track chain showing the most wear? Yes, the brakes are adjustable if there is anything left to adjust. Just like your car,brakes do wear out. It's about $2k here for clutches and brakes on my 7. This machine is nothing like a Bobcat and it will be expensive to operate if you try to run it like one. Slow and steady, work smart.

  11. #11big builder2007-10-26 06:34

    Dirt Guy, How do I check to see if there is wear left in the brakes? It is the opposite side of undercarriage worn than with the weak brakes.

  12. #12Komatsu 1502007-10-26 06:59

    This sounds like you mean the starter ring and pinion to start the engine. The starter was changed with a new pinion, so you need a new flywheel ring gear. Much less traumatic than a drive ring and pinion which is at the back of the machine. I imagine the engine will have to come out. Cheap and desperate solutions: remove the ring gear and reinstall on the flywheel 180 degrees from original. I also watched a mechanic reshape the ring gear teeth with a die grinder through the starter hole on a big dozer. It took him most of a day. He thought it was really stupid but that was what the boss wanted.

  13. #13AlabamaDirtGuy2007-10-26 08:02

    I don't think you can check what's left but if the 5 is like the 7 you raise the operators seat. It's a double hinge on the 7 that allows it to sit on top of the fuel tank. There's a large nut, one on each side on top of the rear end, that you turn. If you'll give me a couple days, I'll take a couple pics to clarify this. When you turn those nuts, you'll feel a detent that the bolt will lock into. It's important not to go to far. The brakes on these machines are actually a clutch and brake arrangement, kinda like a riding lawn mower. You have to have some free play at the top. As you step on the steering pedal it starts to allow the clutch on that side to slip first and as you go down further it starts to apply the brake.

  14. #14FarmerDave2007-11-11 16:19

    My grandpa owns a FA FL9. Im not sure how much the same they are but I do know the FL9 is hard to work on under the floor boards.

  15. #15oldcarguy2007-11-12 19:42

    fl5 track spring need a track sping for a fl5 bought with broken spring and cant find one locally thanks:Banghead

  16. #16Countryboy2007-11-12 23:11

    Welcome to HEF oldcarguy! :drinkup

  17. #17AlabamaDirtGuy2007-11-13 09:17

    I don't know if they're the same spring or not but Finney Corporation on Hwy. 79 in Birmingham has an FL7 they're parting out. On edit: I just Googled Fiat FL5 and the first hit was from Finney http://www.equipmenttraderonline.co...age=sitelink_addetail&goto=www.FinneyCorp.com

  18. #18Jimmy Pink2011-08-10 23:06

    Fiat cars are actually reliable cars. Considering its engine, not that powerful but its okay though. Furthermore its accessories and other Fiat parts are stylish, good quality and durable. Fiat engines are good also.