I recently came into possession of a FiatAllis FR220.2 Wheel loader. Most everything seems to work and the machine moves and functions as you would expect however the travel speed is ungodly slow. What would a person look at in order to troubleshoot the slow speed? The service manual has some trouble shooting for shifting problems however nothing for the slow speed.
Hello bean, Do I understand you right, loader is performing nicely when digging, loading in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. But travelling in 4th is slow? Engine speeds and power are fine? Please check oil level in transmission. Guess, it is a ZF 4WG200 or 220. Engine low idle, transmission neutral, oil temp. transmission around 60 to 80 degrees C. Oil level must be between 50 and 70 mm below center output shaft. Brakes are ok? Not getting hot? You might laugh, however sometimes an issue: Floor mat of cabine not putting load on brake pedal or blocking gas pedal?
It shift gears fine however it is very slow in each gear. I would say max travel speed in 4th gear is 15 km/hr. It has lots of hydraulic power when digging I don't suspect its the engine that is weak. I will check the transmission oil, I believe it is in operating range on the dip stick.
Would wager a bet brakes are dragging.
Not sure this will help however here is the machine digging. The wheels will not spin or spin very little when digging the transmission almost powers out.
Frankly speaking, the sound and little smoke out of exhaust looks to me like low engine power. What is high idle speed of engine? What is stall speed? (loader at standstill, 4th gear, full brake, full gas)