Anybody have any opinions on the Fiat FG85 Grader (mid 90s) pro or con? I am looking at one as a potential purchase. Don't know the first thing about the brand. I am a John Deere guy actually but can't find the Deere that fits my requirement and budget. Would love to have a nice 140G Cat but just don't have enough work to justify that kind of expense. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank so much!
Operated an FG 95 on a gas infrastructure site back in 2003. 14' blade, heaps of grunt even with a fumey old motor that would make a pest controller choke . Controls set up like early JD's, both blade lifts on the right hand side. It took a while to become proficient, after years on graders with a conventional control layout. Just train yourself, to always grip the steering wheel with your left hand until your mind get used to it. After 3 months I began to prefer that setup, but I needed to retrain myself when I returned to saddle of my Dresser A450. Brakes were an issue if they've been let go too long, transmissions don't like it but that's the same for any trans. Overall, they're a tough old machine. There's another post about F A parts on this section too Good luck
OK I have the FG85A Series B AWD blade now. Ran it about 8 hours so far. Seems pretty potent for what little i know. Been running this old JD570A for about 8-10 years. Anything that weighs in at 37K lbs is a huge step. All I do is grade goat trails around this little hamlet full of artists and intellectuals. Roads are lined with trees (most of them hugged affectionately). Some with ditches some with berms and some with trees in the middle...... There are no standards so one has to use serious imagination to do a decent job of grading. Nothing to work with but sand and silt. No rock whatsoever. The Fiat Allis seems to be a powerful heavy grader. I am having a ball learning something different. The machine only has 3800 hours so it is extremely tight. I do need some help with information if anyone knows anything about them. I have not been able to turn on the front wheel drive yet. I know there is a potentiometer looking device in the cab. It lights up but nothing happens when I move it forward. Called the company that sold the machine to CALTRANS and talked with the service guy there. Said there is no documentation available for the front wheel drive. I am hoping someone out there can help me find the problem. Would sure like to have the front end pulling. It would be great in this sand. Thanks in advance for any help!