I have an 07 M2 which failed it's salvage inspection today... On a cracked hood. I questioned the service manager on the phone, going to see it tomorrow. Said that the hood is cracked around the hinges and that's that. Ok... They quoted me 2300 bucks to repair it. My question is, (and as I say I've not seen it but it was pretty solid when I sent it in) I can get a tub of resin and some mat for less than 40 bucks so what am I possibly missing to rack up a 2300 dollar bill? Surely I can patch up a crack or two myself? Anyone done it before and had it inspected by a body shop after?
I've done a fair amount of fiberglass repair work. It didn't have to be inspected though. There are a number of youtube videos on the subject.
if its fibreglass its not rocket science. there are a few tricks though and experience helps. those snowmobile hoods i patched over the years definitely gave me some experience lol. i had to replace the angle iron that supports the hood hinges on my '79 w/star back in '96 and its still good. all the fibreglass covering the angle iron had to be cut off the lower edge of the hood on the inside, replaced the angle iron and used new fibreglass to hold it all together. its done in layers and it is a time consuming process because each layer has to cure and then be shaped and sanded before the next layer. also if there are any air bubbles, they have to be worked out before it sets up or ground out and re-filled before the next layer. patience really helps. post pictures of the cracks and i am sure you will get some suggestions. fibreglass is easy to fix-plastic or polycarbonate not so much
I'll post up some pics tomorrow. Kicker is, the shop have to inspect and approve the repair or they'll just fail it again.
What was the reason for the inspection?
So.... Turns out the M2 I imported last year (been parked without a use since I brought it up here) was wrecked and rebuilt in 2009. I didn't know this. Whatever, more fool me for not doing more homework before buying it. Anyway, importing the truck was fine, no issue but once it crosses the line it was reverted to salvage title requiring a Canadian salvage inspection. Urgh.... Truck passed without issue with the exception of the upper drivers door hinge and the hood cracks. Hinge was total bs. Nothing wrong with it. Hood, ok, has seen damage but isn't bad. Either way, I've two weeks to repair and re inspect. So that's the story
This is the cracks they are talking about. Found a fibreglass repair shop who are going to take care of it for me.
i can see why they wouldn't pass it. not a complicated fix by the look of it