How do Baldwin filters compare to Wix? Also, it is my understanding Fram filters are sold at a price point only and perform poorly ( Walmart) type items. Your advice is apreciated!
I think Napa, baldwin, wix and fleet guard are all great filters
Wix and Baldwin are all we run.
I've been told fleetguard supply alot of OEM, and side by side alot of the time its hard to tell!! never heard of wix but i use mostly Baldwin and Fleetguard.
Filters While Fleetgard supply most of the filters for Cummins product by far and away the largest supplier to OEM is Donaldson. They make a real quality product - and it has a warranty !
We run Baldwin, mainly because I set up a filter deal at Truckpro on our account, I really like them, I have used Wix in the past, when I could get any filter I needed at Freightliner dealer, again I got some kind of deal. These are all on our trucks, on our equipment I usually go back to the dealer for filters, mainly because I have not crossed the numbers over yet. I also run Donaldson air filters in most equipment.
Fleetguard does supply cnh with their oem filters, and they might supply supply deere as well, cause I saw some there too.
Fram=Junk in my opinion. I have read a lot of bad things with them on the net and also experienced one my self. I had one on my 383 small block chev and had an oil pressure drop when I would blip the throttle at cursing speed. I changed the oil and filter and the problem went away. What would cause this to happen? I have no idea all I know is you will never see anything I own with a Fram filter.
IM VERY ANAL about keeping my lube oils clean and in service. Cat Filters on the Cat's, Fleetguard on everything else. Currently my local Cummins dealer Cummins west has pizzed me off so im actively searching for another source for Fleetguard AKA Cummins Filtration filters. Donaldson, Baldwin, and WIX, would be my other choices in that order. So to answer your actual question Baldwin filters are a great product and I wouldn't be afraid to use them in a heartbeat.
We only use Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration) filters here and never had any problems. Outside of the OEM's, Baldwin and Donaldson are reasonably common and I guess there are others, but they are not as common. Rn'R.
Crossland ,fiam fleetguard, baldwin, man wix??? usually in this order. Stock
Dualie a new place to get filters is.. www.fleetguardfilterstore.com
I went to a tech school for the small Cummins engines years ago and was told then that Wix made the filters for Fleetguard. There is no rating system for cellulose filters which are engine oil, transmission and hydraulic oil filters. There are some special filters that use spun microglass that are very expensive but will handle high flow and heavy metal applications. I have also had a problem with a Fram filter years ago. I rebuilt the engine in my Ford pickup, 300 six cylinder, and about 15,000 mile into the rebuild I changed oil and filter and had the big drop in oil pressure. The only thing I could think of was the filter so I changed it and the pressure went back to normal. I have never run another Fram filter since.
Filters We used Baldwin and Donaldson, set a filter program with truck pro for both filters and get a good deal. We have used them for over 5 years and never had a problems with either filter, fleetgaurd are great filters as well just can't get as good of price. Truck pro has been great to work with stop by once a week to check our filter stock. Our salesman goes into our parts room and checks to see what we need, we put labels on our shelves with OEM and Baldwin part numbers and quanity we want to stock and then ships our filters the next day. The have most of our heavy equipment filters as well. Here is a very handy link that we use to cross reference OEM and other manufactures filters to Baldwin www.catalog.baldwinfilter.com just my two cents. Bill
Many good filters mentioned above Fram is not one of them. I use Fleetguard, Baldwin, Wix. Fram = marketing and they are junk many failures on the Dodge diesel forum I frequent.