Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Filter swap, 51792XE wix instead of 51648

fast_st ยท 2016-04-29 10:58

So the differences seem to be on the surface, that the 51972XE filter is a 5 micron versus 12 and its less than half of the 51648 in price, also the local napa has to order the 51648 and has a pair of 51972XE filters in stock. Thread is the same, filter gasket is 1/10th bigger in diameter but I have clearance, slightly lower burst pressure but all the other specs look almost the same and its a hydraulic return, more than 15psi and the light comes on. Anyone swap a filter around ?

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2016-04-29 11:52

    I wouldn't, for what my opinion is worth. The 51792 in all it's variants is an engine oil filter, and while it *may* be okay, I would be leery of using it. The Deere number is AT140315 should be around $60 unless your dealer is greedy. Donaldson P550415 Fleetguard HF6809 Baldwin BT8813-MPG If you got a couple days, search Ebay, lots of listings for decent prices.

  2. #2fast_st2016-04-30 08:18

    Napa shows a list price on the wix to be 161 and 84 out the door, sheesh. I did just grab 4 new in box from ebay for $20 each. The Baldwin filter that was installed seemed to be falling apart inside? I cut it open with a panel splitter, where the element was bonded to the threaded end, it rather just came apart, the filter pulled away from the metal without really any force. its a wire gauze and what seemed to be fiberglass/cellulose blend, I washed the element out with special 85 octane washing solution, and set the bucket aside with a paper towel drain to siphon off the volatile parts and leave the solids behind. I'll let the current wix filter run 50-70 hours then swap it for one more 50 hour interval before draining as much of the fluid out as I can. I'm thinking the baldwin filter was possibly passing the glitter, as there was a lot in there. As typical there's no bypass and maybe the glitter in the drain bucket was from the outside of the filter. The system oil is looking a bit better over time. No records so no idea how many hours are on the filters, changed them all. Leery is good enough for me, I'll stick with the hyd filters for the primary.

  3. #3mitch5042016-04-30 12:16

    If there was no bypass, when the filter media plugged, the pressure will go up until it reaches system pressure, or the filter comes apart, either internally, or externally, whichever is weaker.

  4. #4fast_st2016-04-30 12:38

    It was turning on the filter minder, I'm not sure what that entails, I think its 15psi delta? I guarantee someone knows

  5. #5oarwhat2016-04-30 12:52

    I've always been told Wix filters are a cheaper version of Baldwin. Meaning there not as good.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-04-30 14:43

    There's no bypass in the filter, but I would bet you a growler of your favorite brew there is one in the filter head. Usually the restriction light comes on 5-10 psi lower than the bypass check is set, bypass typically will be 25 psi.

  7. #7lantraxco2016-04-30 14:51

    Years ago I was blessed to attend a small filtration seminar with Deere if I remember right. We got to look at several samples from a range of makers that we cut open on the spot with filter cutters. Baldwin was no bargain, cheap construction and on some of the cans we found rust on the inside. I can't recall the differences or which brand was markedly better, but I can tell you I have used fleetguard engine filters since then, or Donaldson. For hydraulics I buy Donaldson if they supply a replacement, as I believe they are the top of the line in that area. For CAT engines I use CAT filters, they're not that much spendier than the aftermarket and that's one place where I do believe CAT is truly better. There, an unsolicited opinion you probably didn't need to hear, lol.

  8. #8Old Doug2016-04-30 18:36

    I have worked on mostly stuff thats on its 3rd or more owner and alot of times they dont have the right filters. At the parts store i go to they have cut away filters in about every brand its dosent help looking at them to figure out a clear winner. Some have alot more stuff inside to the point maybe the higher one is causeing oil to bypass more and not get filtered.You dont realy need a filter until you have a problem?

  9. #9lantraxco2016-04-30 23:03

    Well, in theory with all things being equal, the more media you have, either pleated paper or spun glass, etc. the more little pores you have for fluid to move through until they all plug up with microscopic material. To a degree you're right about not needing a filter until you have a problem, but every engine gives off particles of metal and every engine allows a certain amount of dust from intake air and carbon from combustion into the basement, it's the nature of infernal (sic) combustion engines.