Gentlemen! It's been a long time... To be honest I haven't been on here much the last while, somehow got the mind to try my hand at farming and thats been an all consuming endeavour. Definitely been missing the old iron. I fired up the 977 over the weekend as I figured it was time to tackle the lift cylinders (not much else to be doing when its -30 C) and wow is it just me or is there a special smell to that old equipment!? It's almost like a mixture of diesel fumes and warm earth... Hard to explain but I sure did miss it.. Anyway much to my disapointment I found a my outer duocone seal to be leaking on my left hand final drive (seepics). I'll give a little back story.. So about two years ago I decided to take the plunge and put new rails on the old girl, at that time I did check to see if there was play when I put a bar on the sprocket when I pried on either side. Right side was tight left side had just a barely noticeable amount. While I had the tracks off I decided to tighten up the bearing preload, went through the procedure with no issue and at that time there were no leaks whatsoever. Fast forward a couple years and maybe 20 hours of seat time I seem to have developed a leak. At this point the machine has been sitting for six months with no leaks, then over the weekend I noticed the leak. Looks to be only about 3 to 4 drops over the span of twelve hours. I checked it again with a bar and there is zero movement on the sprocket. Curious as to how I should proceed? Oil level/condition looks good nothing else wrong that I can see.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take care and stay warm.. P.S. has anyone seen Tc back here yet? Sure do miss his verbs.
11K7981
I'd run it a bit and see if it continues to leak. Might be a cold weather and/or sitting related issue. I'm sure there are many that wish their leaks were only 4 drops in 12 hours.
I agree. Don’t get to excited, yet. Put er’ to work and monitor.
Another vote for run it, and run it hard. Duo-Cone seals don’t like being left in one position for extended periods of time and it might take a while for it to seal again.