Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Final drive oil

dumbolefarmer ยท 2024-11-10 15:02

Changing finals and swing box on a '17 volvo ec220el excavator, book calls for sae 140. I have 85w-140 on the shelf, will that be too thick?

Replies5
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-11-10 15:33

    It'll be just fine. 85w140 was standard fill for nearly all of them. Especially around here. -15 one day and 85-90 a couple weeks later. Just make sure it's a quality oil, not Joe-Blo's corner store blend of waste oil and grease.

  2. #2IceHole2024-11-10 15:58

    Weird, I'm used to 80w90 (75w90... same difference) or 50wt TO-4 spec (pretty much same viscosity)

  3. #3dumbolefarmer2024-11-10 16:16

    10-4 thanks

  4. #4funwithfuel2024-11-10 17:25

    No yellow metal in Volvo travel boxes. So no low viscosity oils with exotic friction modifiers.

  5. #5IceHole2024-11-11 10:24

    There are few gear oils that aren't yellow metal compatible these days. That's a thing of years and years ago that refuses to die for some reason. I'm not very familiar with Vulvo, never worked on them, just a few dozens hours on a 350 loader... which I liked way better than the CAT 988s.