My Cat E70 service manual says to put pipe dope on the final driveplugs after changing the oil. Do they mean the pipe dope used on galvanized pipe threads? What do Y'all use? hugs, Brandi
Yup, same pipe dope. Or Permatex #2. Seen a lot of those plugs with teflon tape also, though I don't know if that's recommended. I usually use Permatex.
Thanks Lantraxco! I have Permatex and teflon tape on hand. I will try the permatex. Teflon tape is too easy to get inside, past the threads. We were told at work to not use it just for that reason. hugs, Brandi
Never use teflon tape on hydraulic systems. But I don't think it could do much harm in a final drive?
Not to worry Delmer and Thanks. I only use teflon tape on air hose connections. Even then I am careful to only wrap it on the threads and not over the opening. The hydraulic fluid we use at work would eat any teflon tape on contact! hugs, Brandi
Always use Teflon tape on hydraulic systems, if the threads are tapered. Just be sure to keep the tape back at least one thread from the end of the fitting. Every Japanese OEM machine I ever worked on had teflon on every joint and man they used a lot of it, five or six layers.... never ever saw one leak from the factory either. YMMV Brandi: Aircraft or fire resistant fluid?
Skydrol. All American airliners use it. It has been advertised by it''s maker, DuPont, as being fire resistant, but I have seen training videos where it becomes a flame thrower under pressure. It also burns skin on contact. Really a pain when you are changing the main deck door actuator on a freighter and Skydrol is running down your arms and back. Regular aircraft hydraulic fluid is harmless and labeled Mil-h-5606. My E70 is plenty of Japanese, with all the metric this and metric that. But it has no Teflon tape on the British pipe fitting and hoses I have removed. hugs, Brandi