Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finally decided on a backhoe

Duke ยท 2007-05-26 11:48

CASE was the winner. I was financed & ready to buy a '03 Deere 310SG nicely equipped, but it was a little too run down for me on the exterior and it had a few other issues. I also don't have a deere construction dealer anywhere close to me. The Deere had a nicer front axle with bigger tires and nicer air-seat. It was a supersmooth operator. I didn't like the boom being higher in the locked position and the stabilizers being spread quite a bit wider than the 580 SuperM. The SuperM is a smaller machine all around, which actually is better for me. The Deere 310SG is more comparable to a Case 580 SuperM "+" (the machine I really wanted) , but I soon realized they were too big for me. I happened upon a '05 Case 580 SuperM 4x4 with 1100 hours, A/C, ride control, X-hoe, pilot controls, extra lights, new front rubber, suspension seat, am/fm. Still plenty of warranty left. I then added a FFC front coupler, FFC q/c GP bucket and FFC q/c 48" pallet forks. I financed the whole package through Case at 4.25% for 5 years. After I saw the "bottom line", I promptly changed my underwear and verbally agreed to buy it. Now I'm waiting for the paperwork & all the other crap to clear and it should be mine by next Wednesday. Suddenly, a feeling of "OMG, I gotta find a lot more work" just came over me. Anyone else ever have that feeling?

Replies34
  1. #1sbrem2007-05-26 21:17

    Glad to hear you finally found one. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will work out great:thumbsup :thumbsup

  2. #2Cat4202007-05-26 21:30

    It should be a good machine for you. Think of how many Case machines are used as rentals and last for a long time. If you're willing to share on the price, I would guess around $60K give or take $5k. Pictures please

  3. #3cat3202007-05-26 22:31

    that will be a nice machine and just to give you insite on what an new '07 case 580 m turbo is going for 4x4 ,e-hoe full cab heat/ac,ride control deer controls grid heater full light they wanted $71,900

  4. #4coopers2007-05-26 22:51

    COOL!:drinkup Blake WA

  5. #5Duke2007-05-27 10:08

    Add the pilot controls and I'd guess it goes up another $2-3,000! It also has AM/FM, 900# front counterweight & dual batteries. They claim they paid $78,680 for it in '05. I'd guess it was more realistically a $74,000 machine new about 2&1/2 yrs ago.

  6. #6cat3202007-05-27 16:22

    well when i was at the mascon show they had an '06 580 super M pilot,4x4 cab/heat /ac.ride control E-Hoe suspention seat lights counter weight for just about as much as the one i describe above for $73K. I told the sales man why wouldn't i take that one for the same kinda money.I speced a lower grade machine no pilote and some other stuff to keep the cost down but didn't even seam like it was worth it.

  7. #7Duke2007-05-27 20:34

    None of them seem like they're worth it. Who knows, I might send this thing down the road if it doesn't work out, but I hope not.

  8. #8Duke2007-06-08 11:32

    Here's some pics:

  9. #906bowtie_guy2007-06-08 11:53

    Picked up a real nice machine there. Looks good. Is that considered a Series 2? Not sure when those came out. Just picked up a sales broshure since I was at the dealer. Hook up some sirius sat radio and go. :drinkup

  10. #10Duke2007-06-08 12:02

    Thanks! Yep, it's a Series 2. I think they came out in the late 90's. It has the TC lock & locking differential button on the loader joystick. :drinkup

  11. #11cat3202007-06-08 15:32

    That does look sweet Duke I was at my dealer yesterday getting something and I just had to try an '07 out and let me tell what a difference between that one and my '97 but i had to get back to reality mine is paid for new one will have to make payments and less profit . Good luck with her I think you will love your new machine

  12. #12Duke2007-06-08 16:17

    THANKS! I'm shocked at how much comfort it's actually possible to work in. I can't imagine why everyone wouldn't want a cab, suspension seat, AC, pilot controls & radio when running a machine. I know, I know, it's all about money, but I really missed what the "other side" was enjoying for a long time. Thank Gawd I finally have something comfortable to work in. :usa

  13. #13cat3202007-06-08 16:24

    That was some of thinks i wanted a/c better seat and more power I wired a radio in . you did it probably the best way got a late model machine with all the goodies and low hours. You had a a smaller tractor before i think you had pics in another site . I think you will like the ride control as mine does not have it and those small bumbs are fun lol so i forgot to ask what was the final amount on her ?

  14. #14Duke2007-06-08 17:57

    I used to have a Ford/New Holland 555 4x4, then a little Kubota (BIG mistake) then I bought the Case. $54K with the quick attach front bucket & Q/A fork set (all 3 Q/A pieces were $4,990), financed at 4.25% through Case/NH financing.

  15. #15cat3202007-06-08 18:38

    I will post a pic of my 580L nothing as nice as the M here i lifting out a 2K gal tank bring it out to load on a rack body .

  16. #16Orchard Ex2007-06-08 19:21

    Why was the Kubota a big mistake? Which one did you have? Good looking Case BTW!

  17. #17Duke2007-06-08 19:58

    It was way too small. It was an L-39 Interesting.....every other website is so easy to post pictures in. this one is the most confounding website I've ever seen. It's next to impossible to post a picture.

  18. #18cat3202007-06-08 20:10

    Duke try this for resizing http://snipshot.com/

  19. #19Duke2007-06-08 20:28

    It's weird, Webshots has a tool for resizing, then exporting it to another website as a URL. It works on every website but this one.

  20. #20Cat4202007-06-08 21:14

    If you look at the bottom left of the site,

  21. #21Duke2007-06-08 21:49

    "slideshow" http://rides.webshots.com/slideshow/559279731VtXRrv

  22. #22coopers2007-06-08 21:59

    Cat320 your backhoe is nice too. Both are very nice. I do like the brighter orange the M's have though. I've always liked that color, I hated the orange case used for their E's and K's. Horrible.:Banghead Blake WA

  23. #23CM19952007-06-08 22:24

    I haven't had a problem posting pictures anymore- just use the Microsft picture resizing software thingy - heres is a link to another thread . This is how I learned how to do it. (See post #2) Off topic but of interest to me. Would you post a pic of your 4800 dump truck (absolutely no pun intended - I really would like to see the truck).

  24. #24Duke2007-06-09 18:19

    Sure.

  25. #25CM19952007-06-09 18:35

    Duke - that is one bad *** single axle!:thumbsup

  26. #26jazak2007-06-09 18:36

    That's a REALLY nice setup you've got there!!!! :thumbsup Got to love 4x4 on a big dump like that!! Congrats on the CASE, it looks like new.

  27. #27Duke2007-06-09 18:42

    Thanks, here's another shot from the front. My pictures totally suck, sorry: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2440837240060323780gPnoIr?vhost=rides

  28. #28CM19952007-06-09 19:13

    Once again -:notworthy :notworthy Cool truck!

  29. #29Duke2007-06-09 20:47

    Thanks! 4800 Slideshow: http://community.webshots.com/slide...des/trucks&track_action=/ActionsBox/Slideshow

  30. #30cat3202007-06-09 21:04

    Duke do you have a full hydraulic set up for connecting the forks and bucket or is it a manual set up?Becuae i noticed you don't have front aux hydraulic on the bucket lever?

  31. #31Duke2007-06-09 21:14

    It's manual. Would have liked to had front hydraulics like a CAT integrated tool carrier, but I ran outta $$$. There's just never enough $$$, you know? The manual isn't too bad at all, just flip one lever. Might be more reliable in the long run.

  32. #32cat3202007-06-09 21:19

    Yeah there is never enough money ,I was lucky enough to get a service book for my machine which is about 4" thick hopfuly that will make me spend less when it does break down. I think your right about the manual set up probably last longer and have less to worrie about. I would love to have a set of forks on mine .

  33. #33Duke2007-06-09 21:46

    Yeah, they gave me a CASE service manual with mine, too. Nice to have to DIY stuff.

  34. #34mackdj2007-07-14 13:07

    Good Choice I think you would have been well off with either one so ya did good. Have fun!:drinkup