Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Finally dug it out

pclearey ยท 2015-09-03 13:24

I believe this has been sitting in my woodlot since before WWII. One day I was driving by it with my little Mahindra and decided this is the day I get that out of the ground. Took 4 1/2 hrs to dig, jack and shim it out of there. Three of the hubs need work but everything else seems to operate fine.

Replies15
  1. #1Okielite2015-09-03 16:15

    Nice find! If it works great, if not is a great piece of decor for the property.

  2. #2furu2015-09-03 16:20

    Definitely a classic piece of equipment.

  3. #3Delmer2015-09-03 16:56

    If you've ever tried grading a driveway with a loader or three point blade, you'll see how useful that dolly and long wheelbase are.

  4. #4alskdjfhg2015-09-03 18:40

    Wow. That looks to be in nicer shape than most of my equipment.....

  5. #5pclearey2015-09-03 19:19

    Does anyone have any Idea what year this would have been built? It's (as the pic shows) an J.D. Adams Leaning Wheel Grader No 2C. I could not find much about it on the web. Just one old flyer. Would be interested in any knowledge offered. Apparently it came in three versions, 4 horse and 6 horse drawn versions and a power unitdrawn version (which this is).

  6. #6mowingman2015-09-03 19:40

    Wow, that is in remarkable condition. Nice save.

  7. #7Delmer2015-09-03 21:30

    Most likely 20's, maybe 30's, or teens. That's my guess.

  8. #8watglen2015-09-03 21:41

    That rigs a gem! Bring it up to new condition, it'll be worth a fortune!

  9. #9mrbb2015-09-03 21:44

    wo, that reminds me of one of them that sat on a farm I hunted it was there when they first started putting roads in , in the area, back in the 30's it sat on the edge of a field from about the 40's when the war started they parked it and it just sat there a tree grew up between the frame I offered the farmer money for it several times all he kept saying was well some day it will be your's LOL then he died and a family member came in and took it to the scrap yard before I could get it?? I would have paid him a few times over what scrap was going for too BUT it was one of them, jerks of a family member, and thought all the machines about the farm were eye sores and scraped everything, even when I tried to buy them for a LOT more money than scrap But good for you,. on saving it like others said, either to work it again, or just a cool piece of history!

  10. #10kshansen2015-09-04 08:41

    I think there is or at least was one like that on a state game preserve in Central NY. I believe it had been used to build and maintain roads around the ponds where they raised ducks and geese. The guy who ran the preserve passed away and I don't think he was ever replaced. The house he lived in on the island was torn down. Not even sure if there is access by car to the island these days.

  11. #11Dirtdigger532015-09-04 11:23

    Saw an Adams 1 sell in Kansas City Richie Bros auction July 21, 2015. Brought $1,000.

  12. #12JGibson2015-09-05 10:12

    Thats awesome! As others have said, even if you don't use it, a great piece of lawn art. I love to incorporate old equipment in my hardscaping designs

  13. #13JGibson2015-09-05 10:14

    sorry double post

  14. #14Taylortractornu2015-11-22 13:15

    I have a friend that uses one on his farm. He puts it behind a D4d and a long cable. He or his kids drive the d4 and he drops down into aditch to clean them out. Often grades his farm roads.

  15. #15Old Doug2015-11-22 16:58

    The last time scrap was down i went to a farm to clean up some scrap iron. There was 2 loads that were not going to weigh much but there also was a horse drawn grader. It had a seat up front for the mule skinners to ride. I thought the grader would make the job pay good so i spent a long day loading and hauling scrap then late in the evening circleing back to haul the grader home. I broke even on fuel selling the scrap. I tryed to sell the grader for a year and ended up selling it for $50.00.