Is any one else having a hard time finding CDL Drivers or Experienced equipment operators? This year the pool of talent seems to be getting smaller, with many old timers retiring, there do not seem to be many young guys or girls getting into the industry. Is this an industry wide problem or is it just in New England? If you have experienced this what have you done to encourage new comers to the industry? Sorry if this thread already exists but I did not see it.
I think it is near impossible to find quality help, when they do come along I find they want what I consider excessive wages and banker hours. I have never been able to find an operator with a cdl. I can find cdl drivers and some operators but not one guy for both jobs. Where I really struggle is to find general laborers, with that said I specialize in sewer rehab so it's not a clean job. I look foward to seeing how wide spread the labor issue is.
CDL's require drug tests. That is all.
CDL's also require small necks to pass the health physical. Seems they have decided that people with large necks have more heart attacks. Took a friend over a year to get his license back fter breaking his neck a few years ago. They did not believe his doctor and he had to pay $500 dollars to use the DOT's pet doctor. And then a lot of us have retired.
I can recall a few years back when regional manager came to our local plant and among other things told all the employees that if they didn't like the way he ran his area of the company there were ten guys outside the gate for every one of us that would be glad to take our jobs. Funny thing was in the next few years every time there was a job opening they would get maybe a handful of applications and once they weeded out the list by drug tests and then took some for a tour of the operations some would just say no thanks and then there was the one guy who made a point of showing off to the boss the nice new truck he bought with the money he got from the workers-comp settlement he got from his last employer. This was in a stone quarry so it was not a white shirt job but much better that a sewer rehab job I'm sure! I'm not and never have been a business owner but I would guess that it comes down to the old law of supply and demand. If the supply of qualified workers is lower than the demand you have to decide if it is better to pay more for experience or eat the cost of hiring low or no experience workers and do the training. Always had a problem figuring out how a person gets to be "experienced" if someone does not give them the first chance to learn. I have to assume that your competitors in the area are or will be having the same problem finding good workers. Also it would seem that by paying a little more you might be able to get and keep better workers who might be more efficient there by off setting the cost per hour not to mention the savings on equipment repairs you might have to deal with due to abuse from poor operators. I was extremely lucky back in 1970 as the boss starting up the shop for the company wanted to hire people he could train in his way of doing things. After 44 years I was still there the only surviving mechanic after corporate changes over the years. One other of the mechanics from what was our shop is now the head mechanic at a sister quarry about 1/2 hour from here, he was fresh out of trade school when he was given the chance to prove himself.
My pet theory for dealer service mechanics was soundly rejected at both the Deere and CAT dealers I worked for. Makes sense to me you hire an apprentice or trainee and you team them with a tech that's approaching retirement. The young one has lots of energy and spunk, the old guys have wisdom, experience, common sense, tricks you learn in thirty or forty turning wrenches. The seasoned tech will mostly keep the youngsters from screwing things up and they will also be better at their job, teaching is learning, passing on knowledge is empowering, and hell, that kid ain't gonna show me up! Ah well, the accountants wouldn't buy it.
Yair . . . Slightly O/T but it's bloody marvellous be the head sherang of an outfit and never have to ask an employee to do a job you couldn't do yourself. Cheers.
Not very likely to run into that sort of outfit these days is it? We let the managers and accountants take over, and we're none the better for it.
They did do something of that nature where I worked. After just weeks short of 45 years doing my job they gave me a guy to work with to show him the ropes. Well it was only about two weeks before I did retire and they would not promise the guy he would even end up with the position after I was gone! But no problem picking up on 45 years of experience in two weeks!
EXACTLY!!:thumbsup We posted a sign outside our HR department "If you have taken drugs in the last 30 days, do not waste our time by applying here." You would be surprised how many people see the sign and walk away.
I haven't looked for a job in a while maybe it's the changing economy but I hard a hard time finding anyone hiring operators probably because there were so many out of work in SoCal. I went and got my class A the last time I was laid off to make sure I wouldn't have the problem again.
I worked 3 months this summer (I am going to college) and we had a fuel truck, a 10 speed Mack, and a water truck, a 6 speed International, on the job site. The project superintendent, the foreman, and a couple of the operators always complained that the other laborer and I did not know how to drive either of the vehicles. They would have to stop what they were doing to run the trucks when they were needed. The other laborer and I are able to drive a "normal" standard in a pickup. None of the guys offered to show us how to drive the 10 speed or operate the water truck. I watched youtube videos on driving a 10 speed and asked about learning to drive it on the job site, but the answer was always no. How can I get a CDL without learning how to drive a semi? How can I learn if no one shows me or gives me the opportunity to try and figure it out? Am I supposed to take the initiative and get my learners permit and then take a CDL driving class? How am I supposed to take time off to learn when we are working 60 hours a week pushing to get a project done?
that's how it goes when you want to learn no one wants to teach you they think you should be able to do it all on your time not theirs
We do have a mentor training , its called start helping the older mechanics. One I became good friends with one who knows his stuff been in the industry 30 plus years. Wouldn't hesitate to stop something Im working on to help him in a heart beat, also give them a legacy to leave behind. Has it changed the way I did things after I met him most certainly. This industry as far as mechanics you have to prove yourself to the older mechanics you want to do it right the first time, no matter how much labor or hard work is involved. Sometimes it the older ones throwing the younger ones under your the bus, take your lumps and learn from it . Is there true master mechanics that can fix everything and knows it all, havent met one yet. In every industry dirt or paving etc you find the masters of that particular trade, I have found they have seen the repetitive breakdowns on the same model equipment and can tell you what the problem is in theyre sleep! Work safe RM
I just hired a CDL driver for our tri axle dump with the understanding that he needed to spend seat time in our CTLs and excavaors when not driving to become multi skilled. He thought it was a great idea when the other option was the ditch when not driving.
Most people will go where the money is ,if you offer enough money they will leave where they are and come to you . If you offer the same or less no reason to leave.
I lived in Lakeside for a couple years in "82-3. I never saw a populace that would take their money and buy drugs and let kids go hungry like the south coast. And since I play in the dunes and go to town when there it doest look any different 35 yrs later
I moved from Coos Bay to Portland in summer 79, lots of visits home and finally moved back in November 2011 after losing everything in the crash of 08. You are correct, and it's getting worse. Weather's wet but generally not too cold or hot and lots of programs and handouts, plenty of places to hide and camp, it is a drug and homeless haven. Police Chief of North Bend put out a message to the citizens that they're underfunded and understaffed and the drug driven crime is running wild, they haven't got a hope of stemming the tide. Especially since there's no jail beds for the ones they do pick up for the tenth time while awaiting trial. Oh, have you heard the latest, we have a heroin epidemic now, the police and other first responders are starting to carry Narcan because the overdoses are so frequent. Still beats hell out of the insanity in Portland, where they give you prison time for trying to save your own ass from an angry and violent mob.
Not a lot different in Michigan. They don't want to work, won't show up, steal you blind, tear equipment up to get a several hour break, disappear from the job,,,,, the list goes on. When you have a real problem the cops are just as bad if not a little worse.
As long as the high schools keep convincing the kids they all should go to college the trades will have a shortage of workers. Some kids have the drive and initiative for college and some don't. With the parents and schools influence the kids have little to no initiative for hard, dirty work. I wish the young operators today had to run some of the eqp't we did. They'd appreciate what they have today. Us youngsters back then didn't appreciate what we had compared to what the old guys at that time had to run when they were young. One question I've had lately is about all the GPS on earthmoving eqp't. If the GPS on the machine quits or worse yet some of the satellites go down, will the operators still be able to cut a slope or maintain grade? I was hyper all through school(they didn't have acronyms for it back then) and so I struggled to get a HS diploma. On graduation my Dad offered to help me thru college, I was honest and told him I thought it would be a waste of my time and his money. Since Vietnam was going strong I joined the USAF and did 4 years. Got out, joined the IUOE and worked mainly on crushers for 32 yrs. Retired at 55 and have enjoyed all the 15 retirement years. Yes, there were tough jobs along the way, but you just tell yourself it can't last forever and they didn't. Mike
It's going to get worse. They all have ADD, ADHD. When I was a kid it was just "Jesus Christ there's something wrong with that boy". There are no losers, everyone gets a trophy. No one fails or gets left behind. If the kid is doing poor in school, it's the teachers fault. My boss hired a young fella to pick rocks in the bottom of a trench. When he saw what he had to do he turned sick, and had to leave. A land scaping company we sub contract out to offered the young lads an extra dollar fifty an hour if they would leave their phones home, and they wouldn't do it. He can't get anyone to work, so he puts up with it. They don't want to work, they just want to get paid.
How much does he pay his workers? If you pay $9.00 ph you get $9.00 ph workers ,pay $20.00 ph you will get more applicants that know something and are willing to work. You get what you pay for.
I'm a finish grade grader operator, an I only get $20.50 an hour. Most unskilled labour positions are minimum wage, which around here is about $10.75 an hr.
Exactly what I am talking about ,if you want class A help you néed class A wages.
You must be a union man, cause there is no way anyone is going to pay operator's wages for a guy raking topsoil. I understand what you are saying, but that is just the going rate around here. If I wanted big bucks, I would have to move across the country to the oil patch, and have my cost of living go up to match.
I hired a guy to do some land clearing and to build me a shop pad and driveway. He noticed I can operate equipment to some extent and he offered me a gig helping him on the side. I'm not used to efficiently running his modern equipment (all my stuff is straight out of the 60's and 70's), but I'll spot trucks, read a print for what grade were supposed to be at and follow the dozer with the grade rod, run the compactor, run a POS water trucks, etc. And since I can read a drawing (certified draftsman), he's always wanting me to help him on working up quotes. Also planning on getting a CDL this summer. Can drive a truck, just not legally. I always carry tools so he's always bumming stuff off me. last Saturday we were doing line stabilization, I ran the 1970's vintage incorporation machine for 13 hours straight listening to a 6v-71 a 40 degree windy day (that's cold for Houston). I go to the University of Houston full time getting a Honors degree in mechanical engineering and on my hard earned friday's off from school and very precious weekends I work for this guy. And I get paid $100 a day for this. I like the machinery, I like the work. But it's about the point where I could make better money picking cigarette butts out McDonalds's urinals. Atleast doing that I get paid promptly, they don't "forget" how many days I work, it's inside and I dont have to deal with any idiot dump truck drivers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about any of this. It just always makes me laugh listing to this guy complain how he can never find good help, but doesn't want to pay anything. I can pass a drug test any day any time no notice, don't use my phone during the day, have my own PPE, am equipment savvy, show up most days before anyone else and leave last. But apparently I'm worht about minimum wage. Doesn't make too much sense to be busting my ass on a construction site when I could get the same wage doing a whole lot less. Just my $.02.....
Unless you look at it as an internship, for resume enhancement. It is not a guarantee that someone reading your resume will care about what you are doing now, but they might. Then again, they might not. It is all a risk of some sort or other.
That's pretty much how I look at it, and I am learning a lot. Although I am looking for a better, more formal internship with an engineering company.
What is the income deduction like there? For a 2466.36 dollar pay, after deductions I get 1751.75.
What I'm seeing around here, depending on the industry...lot of times it's seems like it's 1980s wages but 2017 grocery prices. The cost of living might be comparitively low in this area but it's not THAT low Common pay for a mechanic around here is around $15-16 an hour starting out. Don't know for sure what the going rate for mid level of experience and higher is though but I'm under the impression that high level of experience is's between $20 and $30 an hour. I don't mind paying my dues (doing so right now, getting experience to expand upon my school education) but I can tell you that right there is going to push a lot of people away from this kind of work if they can make similar (or higher) without the sweat and risk. Not to mention it's actual work work of course. Not when they can get the same amount of money sitting at home on a welfare program...which is the biggest obstacle in my area, it seems. Yes I work for a paycheck but I also work this field because I do enjoy it despite the hard work. It is a satisfying job to me. But I can tell you people aren't going to want to enter the trades when the pay is stagnant and low (outside of booming areas) especially when the work is hard. No one has followed me in the door for the past two years in our apprentinceship/school program. Now believe me I see the flip side too. All too often the business can't afford to pay the worker more. So many expenses in hiring somebody. I'm fairly certain that it costs my company twice as much to employ me as what I get paid, for example.
It's a very interesting job. Always enjoy the thank you from the customer. But other than that yeah if you can sit in an air conditioned and heated office for $20/hr there's no point in having half a hou$e worth of tools and a bad body by the time your 50
the problem around my area when i was trying to get into being a laborer to move up to operator is that no one wanted to hire me as a laborer because no experience as a laborer or because i could weld but welding would not lead me to the path of operator so it was just annoying
I have never been hired with a resume. Every job I have ever got was by knowing someone. It's hard for a company to trust someone they don't know with a machine they have a lot of capital tied up in. A young fella that was hired once told me he figured they should teach everyone about running a roller, because they always stick you on one.
Its not this trade, its a generation. I do alot of work for plumbers and mechanical contractors. I see plumbers, electricians, carpenters, all standing outside for 3 hours a day smoking and looking at their phone. Who's paying for this? I guess its either the customer or the employer. I get tired of watching 4 guys on their "pipe crew" leaning on shovels, not a stick of pipe in the ground, no screenings leveled, so I get out and do it myself. My morals prohibit the behavior of billing for work when there is none being done. I dont want to take on hires of my own and wind up in the same mess. Its the main reason I sub in to dig for plumbers and made the conscious decision to stay small. I hire in other one man bands when I need it, and they work like they own the company, because they do. I dont make markup on their wages, but the job gets done and done well. The BS of the situation is, if you pay a guy less or terminate for reasons like lack of productivity due to constant smoke breaks, it gets labeled as discrimination, and then it turns to a court battle. I've decided that the most effective way to win the game is to simply not play. But for what its worth, I had a class A cdl, piping experience, project management and estimation skills, could run a backhoe and skid steer, can breath on broke equipment and make it run, a farmer background that Id work whatever hours you wanted, and I couldnt get a call back on an application from companies that were actively hiring. I was asking $17 an hour. So I started my own.
I don't know how big of companies you guys are operating but any jobs I see that state in the ad "Apply Online/By Email/Fax" I don't even waste my time applying. Anyone can write a pile of steaming bull#### and some office clown will believe it. Applying in person and speaking with an owner/manager/supervisor I feel allows me to show to them I know what I'm talking about better than 500 words on a piece of white paper. Not only that but being able to talk to someone at a company shows me that the company actually cares about the quality of the people they hire.
Well said, and then when you go there, make sure you have shoes and socks on, look awake, and act like you are interested in actually working. I have had only one job offer off of a very detailed resume. That was when I was looking to relocate closer to home, I stopped in and dropped it off in person after talking to the senior person at a division office. The companies corporate office called me a few days later and flew me in to interview me. I retired from that company a couple years ago. Of course I had been in the specialty trade for 15 years previous. The main point is, that had I walked in wearing shorts and sandals I would never have got a second look.
Yeah.... years ago applied for a job what was on paper at least tailor made for me. Had to talk to a busy lady from HR to get past the gatekeeper.... she was so busy she "interviewed" me in the hallway and from the start had an attitude. After a couple minutes I was trying desperately not to show she was totally clueless about the job she was hiring for and made a polite exit. Never heard from them, wasn't surprised. As 92U says, it's corporate and it's all about the BS. People that work with their hands seldom are good at selling themselves nor are they so inclined, they let their work speak for them.
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I run a small site work company doing small commercial projects. What I've seen over the last 8 years is strong competition in the bidding arena that has kept the price of the work low compared to the skill and knowledge it takes to get it done. I chock that up to not enough work for the companies bidding, that's in my area. I live in the Birmingham, AL metro area which has historically been the "last out, last in" when it comes to the economy - meaning we are the last to see an economic downturn and the last to see the uptick. The crash of 08/09 hit Atlanta a year before it hit Birmingham. All of the sudden we had Georgia companies competing on bids that we never had before, even small site work jobs. However I am seeing a shift in the amount of projects up for bid, to the point I can pick and choose which ones I want to go after. It has not been that way for a long time and I have seen this coming. It doesn't take a large increase in demand when the supply is small and finite to a degree. The cost of entry to get into the site work business is high and equipment is only getting more expensive, which in turn has increased used prices. What I see coming is a perfect storm in the construction industry for skilled trades to take advantage of. I believe there is a tremendous amount of pent up demand for construction, combined with a shrinking skilled labor force. Skilled trades do not get paid what they are worth in the current economy. When the demand curve keeps going higher than the supply curve, there is money to be made if your in the supply business. I don't get paid what I should for the work, time and risk I put into projects - neither do my guys. The economy the past 8 years in my area has provided enough work to pay the bills and put food on the table. Putting food on the table however has become more expensive as JD955SC stated. Our local economy has not allowed much more than that but I see it changing. As it hopefully changes we all are going to make more as there won't be that many who will have the skills to do what we do - be it moving a yard of dirt, putting a stick of pipe in the ground or repairing a final drive. The need from society for roads, buildings, houses, etc will always be there. The real question is who will build it? Well those are my rambling thoughts of optimism.
That's just the thing. I've applied online or by email for at least 2 dozen jobs in my life. Never heard a single word back. Out of the 4 jobs I've had in my professional career, 3 of them I walked in the front door and was hired on the spot by the service manager. The other one I dropped in to talk to the service manager with a resume in hand every 2 months for about a year until he called and offered me a job. Worst part these days is most major companies have their own app or online profile they want you to set up to apply with. Like I have time to fill out a profile for every job I want to apply for (that I won't even get a call back for an interview) plus remember usernames and passwords. Much easier and less stressful for me to simply print off half a dozen resumes and drive around town talking with the managers. Plus it gives me a chance to get the general vibe of the place and see some of the facilities.
Whooping Laughter! Please show me someone that can show up on time, not tear up equipment and keep their personal trash at home. I can find a guy with one of the above skills but with him comes other problems. We are all flawed, so I do my best to see the strengths of people and look for ways to help them improve on the negative. From this side of the equation (BOSS Side) i see a lot of good people that don't take care of themselves or family the way I would. Life for them seems to be a wander, not a journey. Little initiative, low drive and taking every opportunity to look at their phone and stop working. Not just the younger generation, I see this problem in people 40+ years old. (for the most part) If they could do more, they would. Its my job (while they work for me) to guide these individuals towards the "more" in life.
Leadership 101. I'm afraid it is not my strong suit. I have studied on it somewhat but it does not come as natural as turning wrenches.
I crossed the 60 line some time back, somewhat retired from mechanic over 23 years ago to become a power station worker then retired from that I thought for good. Am back driving as a Semi Retired grain and fertilizer hauler part time, too damned old for full time but got bored. Owner said he cannot find anyone worth hiring or willing to work part time worth their salt then I show up. All busted up, patched up, but pass the physicals and drugs testing, have been able to and been an average operator since 1976, owned my own in 80/81 while have millions of miles to my name overall. Pretty sad when a whining whimpering somewhat adult sets on his or her ass supposedly DYING to get a decent paying decent hours job but unwilling to put the IPhone or drugs or the rest of the game playing crap down to get it. Can't help with finding anyone, help wanted signs are literally EVERY where.
Well let's see if this season is any better for help. I just posted adds on line looking to hire 1 good guy. Last year was a total flop for me through the the off season I get by using who ever I can land that will work a day here or a day there (my accountant hates this) make her have lots of w-2 to file for very little pay. But through the busy season I can't seem to land quality help .
everyone is hiring down here big job boom lots of new commercial projects happening and ya know it might be illegal but you could just pay under the table if your gonna just use someone for a day or two
Ya, I try to do it all on the up and up. I'm sure I still make mistakes tho. It's thought the winter months I've got several guys I use as they are off from there real jobs. Through the summer I employee 1 or 2 guys 40 to 60 hours per week so I don't mind having the bean counter keep track of that and she insisted I do my winter hires the same way. Probably best in the long run just wish I could hire my winter guys in the summer but the grass is greener for them where they are at so I can't complain about that.
have you ever went to the a unemployment place and look through whos looking for a part time job could probably find a person there and let them work maybe the 1 or 2 days a week
Didn't know the unemployment office offered such a service. I appreciate the tip as I'm looking for 1 or possibly 2 guys to come on full time in the next couple weeks I'll have to give them a call in the morning.
As I suspect you live or are near Rural(KS) I would also recommend looking at the 'Want' board at the local Farm Suppliers, people have a tendency to hang ads there as to wanting work and most are diligent just not the sharpest tool in the shed where they would know to post elsewhere.
try the local coffee shop , maybe you find some retired guy wanting to work a day here and there, for some mad money
i always try to find something part time try some people who do 2nd or 3rd shift jobs some might be willing to come help till they gotta go to work or something
Well i know one place that is going to be looking for qaulified help very soon, i wish them luck finding someone to fill my shoes that will stay there as long as i did . Im going to end up driving an hr oneway again or possibly moving to south carolina . Totally made up my mind last night after i talked to my old boss that quit he called me back 15 minutes later and told me he talked to one of his old bosses and my name and number is getting passed to 2 different locations that are looking for mechanics , will still be in waste industry but thats ok , if i dont like what i see i may be looking at united rental field service .
I don't know how far your willing to go in SC?? but there are a few Waste Co's looking for mechanics, way down here in the Charleston area. & the "scenery" is wonderful..
EVERYONE is looking for decent mechanics, they are thinning out by the day it seems. Truck, Rental, Private shops independent shops and the HE dealers around Missouri are all clamoring trying to get ANYONE to hire in, sad days ahead.
One of them is the company im looking at and one of them is probabably company i work for now, im looking concord nc , fort mill rock hill, and if that dont pan out possily spartenburg area
I can tell its been over a year since i updated my resume on monster , all of asudden the phone calls started up again went from one a month to at least 3 a week I told one guy good luck he had 9 positions he was triing to fill i told him its going to get worse for him as the years go on
I'm not so sure that the reason the mechanic surge is on is because of "expansion".. ALOT of mechanics are bailing.. the shops have increased shop rates & not mechanic rates.. & they're fed up. So ANY "experienced mechanic" will go into an interview with THAT in mind.. regardless of what the interviewer says.. I always like to talk to the "floor" folks.. not the "chair" crowd.. My old boss walked a fella thru the shop.. introduced me to him.. he said I'v been there 20 years.. I looked at the kid & say.. DUDE, if McDonalds is hiring.. GO THERE.. seriously.. THAT was the last time I was introduced to an interviewee.. Lol
my personall problem and reason for wanting to bail is they ask to much im doing managments work not all of it but some of it , i yelled at boss yesterday he had come into the shop before t got there and told my helper who is also the swing equipment operator and is new he wanted to do this this an this ect... i went up to his office and told him how the hell you expect me to do all that i have 3 things torn apart in the shop now , services to do and a 40 ton hual truck i been triing to make a parts list for for 2 weeks .i also reminded him i asked for help over a year ago and a couple times since then .at this point its to little to late he is a company guy he is nice but he just dont get what it takes I was attempying to take care of over 35 units by myself some of which is no biggy like the little stuff 3 inch pumps generators light plants they get touched twice a year typically for a pm but when you add in big stuff with the litte stuff well stress is what happens. when i go for an interview i make them show me how there stuff works paperwork , workflow , parts aqusition ect and i do typically try and talk to the guys actually working if not i watch them while im going thru the shops to see if they seem happy. rant over lol i think i have myself fully convinced to move on now ,,,
That's why they called us journeyman back in the day. Moving from job to job is also how we got experienced in the trade.
This is longest i have been at one place will be 8 years at end of month it used to be fun , 8 years out of 18 years in my career aint bad , it used to be fun im getting older and less tolerant of douche canoes , time to find some new people
back in my 20's, the longest I ever stayed was 3 years.. I got the experience I needed & moved on.. 99% of the time it was for more pay.. $ ran the world & my life.. I settled in Charleston for the weather & the advancement opportunities.. BUT.. the work was piled on, I was THE GO TO guy but the pay never kept up w/ the work load.. I work my butt off while some were promoted & others were stealing.. ALL with the full knowledge of the big boss.. Time to go..
That makes sense. Why listen to someone who makes a living by talking up the company? PRICELESS! The best time for a mechanic to yell at the boss is when he has several machines torn down. Good timing!
Oh man, I had to take my socks off to count up that high. My wife calls me a gypsy, I have a bit of wanderlust when it comes to working. I have dragged my family all over coastal BC working jobs. It goes back to my youth, my father was a logging manager so we did lots of moving. Out of all of the places i have worked, there is only one that I burned a bridge behind me, and I will never work for that *** again so no issues there. I have found that I start to get tired of a job, working on the same equipment day after day. After several years I need a change in diet and move on. It might be the same kind of equipment, just belongs to someone else. Things will always be different at a new place. The master mechanic that I did my apprenticeship under told me to move on once I got my TQ, go see how the rest of the world does it. I thought that it was pretty sage advice. Ten years later, I showed up on his door looking for work and I got hired just like that. Now I am at the end of my working career and looking back I would do the same thing all over again, no regrets at all. I even give the same advice to the younger guys at work just starting off. My boss might not like it, but I think my old master mechanic that gave me that advice 40 plus years ago was onto the right idea.
TQ ???
Trade Qualification.... maybe....
More pay, better(maybe) hours or benefits called me on more than one occasion, longest in any one shop 6 years. Then I got really greedy and worked side jobs for ten years. PM shift at the independent garage, late nights to early days contract mechanic for two quarries, that got too rough and demanding so set up a couple of guys with small fleet trucks for maintenance, they needed more than I could deliver so moved again to driver after midnight for first fuel hauls local tractor trailer then packaged milk in ref. van. Started ALL getting old, I was getting nowhere in any of it, tooling changes, updating service materials as equipment traded up, bad checks and poor payers that would pay but had to wait seemingly forever even poor pay from secondary employers. I then went to work for a Utility, SOOO Different a world, we had limits on physical loading on the men, had safety people crawling thru every aspect, got so bad EPA and Safety wise they removed below ground tanks and had a fueling service refill the trucks daily. All we ever had to do was chase repair tickets when the major management changed and the supervisor said flatly, 'Sign every bid out, and take the one you can get' as he saw the writing on the wall, became a Power Station laborer(Glorified Janitor) then up-bid into a Plant equipment operator job, stayed there the longest I EVER worked one job, 22 years.
I agree with you philosophy completely. The first ten years of my career I moved on my own dime to work on projects that sounded interesting. I was not interested in school but by working these cool, complicated, different than normal building projects I got a field education I could never have bought for any money. It has served me well.
Sorry, yes trade qualification.
Scariest days in my total career, Starting as a mechanic first REAL job, getting laid off the first time, getting hurt first in '77 then again in '87 thinking my working days over both times, changing occupation in '97, retiring and then going back to driving what I had not set foot in for over twenty years.
I remember the "lay-off scare".. I was working in a corporate position in production.. I'v never seen, nor have I ever been, around a lay-off in my life.. After the sweep came thru, they NEVER gave a notice.. just a sweep of management came thru the factory w/ lists & they split off down the isles, like some sort of military exercise.. I went to my boss & asked him if I was safe?? He laughed & said, HE'D BE GONE before I would be.. & that I'd be the one holding the keys to the front gate.. THAT made me feel pretty good.. BUT.. I couldn't live my life not knowing if I was gonna have a job from 1 week to the next.. so I left shortly afterwards.. 1 guy in my dept got layed-off & before he got home, they called him back to work.. the Gov't contract had gotten re-newed & they "needed" him.. So back to work he came.. He told me he was use to it.. its happened many times before.. just collect unemployment till they called you back.. cuz they ALWAYS called you back.. Kinda like a mini vacation.. Not THIS KID.. Lol
i got layyed of once that how i ended up in nc from michigan , would not move back up north unless i was paid too including a free house as part of the deal lol , 3-4 years was my normal job duration before this gig of 8 years i dont mind working one place. only concerns i have rite now is my wife cant drive due to a recent foot surgery so im going to try and make this move in a month or so , that way she is back to driving hopefully , that is my only problem moving out of state we no longer have family that can help us out . dmiller my scariest day was the first time i had to do a u-joint in a semi little did i know the bigger they are the easier they are I had huanting memories of watching my dad destroy them triing to change them he was a mechanic too, come to find out he just sucks at doing them go figure lol, luckily our second shift boss was awsome he was also our teacher all new people and young guys started out on 2nd under his rule he was an awsome teacher on everything truck related except for major engine repairs , only 2 engines he was involved with overhuals on both blew up so he said im done with that .
My first 4WD CV joint rebuild was one of the U-joint days. Jockeying the crosses the center alignment ball and needles all with just two hands and a old vise almost got the better of me. Then found could exchange the damn things as cheap as buying the parts after the next one died. Live and learn.
Never dealt with one of those before now that iknow what you know i wont lol, i woke up at midnight and started putting in online applications in ,one place local one is an hr away due to traffic will see what happens with those two, im expecting a phone call to come today for another place 2 different locations same company but i want a pre interview and to see how they do things first before i will fill an application out for them becuase its the same industry im in know and dont want to end up where and how i am rite now . I think i have my wife behind me becuase i have been complaining about work for over a year and she sees how unhappy i have become .
You "think" the wife is behind you?? You BETTER make sure.. NOTHING WORSE than an unhappy woman. Unhappy coworkers & boss's you can put-up with.. a wife.. not so much.. My wife TOLD ME TO QUIT 10 years ago.. lol & the last 2 weeks of my employment, I'd call her up in the middle of the day & say> "ARE YOU SURE" I can quit?? Lol.. I did THAT more than once.. Just to MAKE SURE.. & remember.. that 1hr drive aint all its cracked up to be.. longer to get to work, longer to get home & more often than not.. it turns into a 2hr drive due to traffic & accidents.. Take it from someone who knows. You BETTER have an understanding boss.. cuz your gonna be late ALOT. When O/T is involved.. getting up at 4:30 instead of 7:00 is a killer on the mind & body. & IF you have to work late.. same thing.. Good luck in your search.. I think we've all been there at 1 time or another.. not fun..
This is only my second time voluntarily looking for a new job last time i did i thought i had my forever job but shop managment changed and i got laid off, i chatted with her about that last nite she u derstands she knows i have been unhappy and has prodded me along for the last year , if the hr away job happens its a feild service job and can bring truck home maybe not at first but it will happen so that saves wear and tear on my junk and i should be able to leave house and go straight to a jobsite . At least i hope thats how it will work .we shallsee what happens , the local one i applied for runs mostly cat stuff so that would be a bonus for me as that is what most of my expierence is in now i wait , if i want to be slammed with calls all i have to do is make a minor change to my resume on monstor and the phone calls will make it hard to get work done
I really hate to keep stompin on your ideas.. but the service truck idea "might not be" all its cracked up to be?? SURE it saves on fuel costs & wear & tear.. tires, oil changes.. all that crap.. [personal vehicle] BUT, just wait till it becomes "the norm" to where you HAVE TO BE AT THE JOBSITE at 8:00am or 6:am.. because YOU have the service truck.. & not getting paid for your travel time.. That means your leaving your house at 6:00, driving for 2 hours to the jobsite & not getting paid until 8:00.. No more, coming into the shop, grabbing a coffee, clocking in at 8 & THEN jumping in the truck & going to work.. THOSE are the things that need to be discussed at an interview.. if not, you start to feel like your being taken advantage of & you end-up where you are now.. lookin for a new job..
No your not stomping at all gives me more things to ask about when the time comes , i apreciate advice and ideas from people that have been there before me , with more experience on the subject at hand , in fact i just grabbed another lead this morning from an ex driver turned manager for another company .
Regarding the service truck at home, I have no idea how it is in NC but I had a co worker who knew these kinds of things tell me once that your clock starts at only one "duty station" so to speak. So if they had you go to work at a different location, the time it took to drive from your home location to the new location was paid time and possibly vehicle mileage paid also if using your own car. So if this is true for your state, and you have the truck at home, if you are going in the opposite direction you should be getting paid from the start, if you are going past the main office the commute time may not be paid until you get past the main office but paid at some point. Most smart companies are eager to comply with work regulations like this, and if they are not, trying to save a buck on you, then you know what to do.
Another good question bv im making a list
My longest stint at a job was just over 3.5 years. I'm rolling up on 3 at my current job. It has its ups and downs but I'm not dissatisfied enough to want the hassle of changing jobs. It'll be the same BS at the new place. We just voted to go union and I'm not happy about that so we'll see how that pans out. I was 2nd to last hired so I've kind of been cornholed. Can't rely on my work ethic to avoid any possible layoffs now.
Always some kind of bs everywhere you go its just a matter if you can deal with that style of bs , im thru i made a few choices due to managment issues i shouldnt have and now it is compounding my issues making me want to start fresh i guess as i have gotten older i dont deal so well with the dumbness i have to deal with now , i need a faster paced less projects enviroment i grew up in the industry at truck dealers with certain customers having only me work on there trucks if i couldnt work on there trucks they would reschedule , same thung happened when i worked at a privately owned demo company , all the good truck drivers would wait till i could work on there trucks to write something up.
You were exactly correct on that topic pumpguy, that is a big con on that job had you not chimed in i wouldnt have known to ask that question , so thank you for that info , on that note thatinterview went well and i have a standing offer from them i told them i have to think about it and need a bit of time , i have another interview this week local grading company , private owned 200 peice out in in the field fleet of 16 mack dumps and more at their farm , talkedto lead guy for almost 3 hrs at their home shop this morning, he is part of the hiring process i have asked everyone i could find that knows the company and everyone tells me they treat there employees awesome . He likes my mack and general truck experience in general but i made him aware i prefer heavy equipment guess we will see how this pans out when the new week rolls around
Do you mean by that statement that if you have the service truck they do not want to pay until you reach the job site no matter how far? What about an agreed upon amount of free travel time, the same time it would take for you to get to the shop, beyond that they are paying. But the trouble with that sort of arrangement is they can tend to forget over time, or get annoyed if you are taking advantage of it and the other guys are doing it for free, makes you look like the odd man out instead of making them look like chumps.
Yes no pay till you get to first job , or get to shop if no call to a site first thing , traffic in morning will turn trip to shop be at least an hour, if i had to pass buy the shop on a way to site i would and could stopin to restock so i could start getting paid thats what they told me they have there guys do . The potential massive amount of driving is turning me off from this job more i think about it , its not like going to a job site And working on equipment all day for a contractor they want you on the go constantly, if it cant be fixxed quickly withen 2 hrs get an exchange unit out to them asap so they dont call another rental place , i like fast pace work but they made it sound like it ridiculous most days .
Happy to help.. Rental co. on call/road work, is a bit taxing.. not a lot of "old timers".. & the guys "in the shop" are just parts replacers.. from what I've seen.. Hydro cylinder leaking> replace it Inj. pump leaking> replace it Hydros don't work> replace pump Engine wont start> call the pump shop I loved working on Macks.. pumps that is.. The Bosch FACTORY use to CALL ME to figure out field service problems..
When I worked out of a truck for dealers the drive to the shop was on me. If going to a job though the drive was on the work order number and charged and I got paid. I got out of the last truck though after a few years. The long hours and not being able to go through a lot of things with my kids that they were experiencing just made the whole thing a diminishing returns situation. The other issue not talked about is how over time is handled. When I started in the industry anything over eight was time and a half, anything over ten was double. Customers were charged at that rate and things had a livable pace. Then the unions were broke and things went the other way. (I'm not making a statement about unions). Most shops were overtime over eight and no double time unless you worked a holiday. Then you got the holiday pay and the time and a half. Customers were only charged the difference between your straight time and the overtime. Now all of a sudden you worked until the machine was back running. Now the trend here is no overtime until you have 40 hours done in a week. There are signs in front of businesses everywhere looking for talent. I don't know how many people give me that whine about not finding good people. I usually just bite my tongue. walkserv, right now I think you have some leverage. The only advice I could give is as you negotiate with potential employers make sure your interests are served before theirs. They will all just treat you as another machine.
Mechanics, GOOD mechanics are in really tight supply right now, many men I know still bending wrenches are negotiating their own better interest not the bosses, just not to stupid levels. The boss gets too arrogant they walk and he or she is just on the short end trying to catch up. Business used to be flowing with extra bodies, today they are JUST extra Bodies not many worth their salt. To find ONE worth keeping or hiring many shops are bending over backward to make certain they stay put.
I thought about this some more, sounds like it would be a recipe for calls at all hours of the night and weekends too to have the truck at home. So I would not agree to it unless travel to places other than the shop would be paid. And talking on the phone should be paid also in my book.
Yep and they told me that i woould have turns being on call.i finaly had my interview with owner of a local place i would like to work i have one more at 11 this morning with another local company. And one on monday that i am canceling .you are correct on the good people being in tight supply if i take the one i interviewed today im going to be back primarily working on a fleet of over 25 mack dump trucks and a couple peterbilt tractors and will have a service truck , they also have about 200 peices of cat equipment so i have potential to be still working on that also although owner has doubts i can get thru the trucks to give me time for heavy equipment , we shall see . I figure it will take 6 months to a year to get thru them and get them into the shape they would like to see them in . I have one younger mechanic i worked with and trained for awhile that is actually good listens and learns from my lessons so if i get on there i am going to try and get him there also if the job and company is as good as it sounds. I have asked alot of people that know of the company and cant find anyone to say a bad thing about how they work and usually first thing everyone says is they treat there guys awsome .
Looking for a job sux.. but it looks like you might have stumbled into a good one..?? Lots of equipment means job security.. most of the time.. Just don't be in a BIG rush to fix'm all, right away, or you'll work yourself outta a job. Lol ALWAYS stay/look busy & when they come & tell you "somethings gotta run today".. jump on it.. Good luck..
??? We shall see . Im putting in my notice monday i can always find something wrong with trucks i will have np looking busy , as i see it if its not what its cracked up to be i have lotsa options out there i have to cancel 3 interviews .. Well only actually other 2 arent scheduled yet .so yeah i will have np if i end up looking again only it will be a much more casual search if i end up looking more .
I work for a rental shop in the field, another buddy over at sunbelt said they get paid all travel time. They paid from the time they leave there house until they get back In the service truck at home. I later verified what he was saying , part he left out was they have drive time cameras and gps with speed alert . Rofl Im staying where im at, they are fair if i drive to the closest shop 15 mins to start my time. Back 6 years ago I was rearend by a car because I was not clocked in they didnt have to file workmans comp which suppose to pay for the office visit and drug test all part of it during time but I wasnt on company time yet because i hadn't made it to the shop. I got the bill ER visit 1100 and 300 dollar drug test. They told me to have the guys insurance that rearended me to pay it. After I told them no and proceed to unload all my tools into my shop box they asked what I was doing, was quiting, they paid it before i could get the last tool out of the truck. I had a wreck in there service truck which wasn't my fault, days later after this was paid a visit from HR . Seems management didn't follow procedure, I was compensated for lost time. Funny when you start packing they have ears that go to there Brain. Look out for yourself no one else will.
I went to work for a local grading company I have one week in there and love it so far
Owner of the truck I been running has had to back off some, work got a LOT more than part time where in a two week stretch they 'Needed Me' to run five days first week and almost 48 hours second. I do not mind working but I did retire and DO have projects of my own, this was to be boredom therapy not a occupation. Yesterday was a 11.7 hr. day today a simpler 8.5 but then again fertilizer has stopped calling for trucks. May, and I restate MAY have to become a retiree once again, just back off to the work I already have, just do not want to burn bridges I may need to go back across.
You may have to remind him of that your retired part .
You may have to remind him of that your retired part . Already have.
Ok maybe a more physical reminder like stay at home for a day and wait for a phone call, be like oh I thought this was my day to do one of my own projects seeing how I'm mostly retired
Make sure your agreement is in writing and signed by both management and yourself. Make sure all points are covered. Memories of work agreements last a lot longer when there is a signed reminder.
Oih didnt have to worry about that. The owner is a stand up guy and everyone i asked about the company said he treats his guys good i have found that to be true. Was supposed to start at what i was making which was $$.19 hr found out he rounded it up to the next dollar amount . Last week was my 5th week there , owner came out to the shop and informed me this paycheck would look a little different and he tried to get it done for last paycheck but it didnt work out , i think checks were already wrote and he was busy on of his farms it is planting season. So six weeks on the job im getting some sort of a raise and he started me out at more then we agreed to i cant complain, and there is no way in hell i will run out of work no matter how hard i work so i just do what i do and peck away at the trucks as they come in with issues and look them over good and make some notes on them . When no trucks to work on i go out in the field and work on equipment.
Since this thread is here, I figured I would use it for the opposite of the OP's reason. I'm pushing 36, almost, and run into the ever imposing issue of, "do you have experience in X?" I say, honestly, no, but I'll labor for your vet for a week, or on anything I'm unsure about, then you can get me the machine and I'll out operate your vets in 1 to 4 weeks. Not one person ever believes me. Why should they? I can run anything with a motor. In a day I'm familiar with it. If you want me to perfect it, leave me on it and you will see it work. Oh, did I mention I read plans? Do estimates? Detail rebar for tilt ups? Decks? Set elevations? Rag... hub... set forms. Tie rebar, finish concrete, rake AC, grade, labor, glue and solder pipe, hang dry wall, paint by hand or with a sprayer, weld, torch, wrench, diagnose mechanical issues..... the list goes on and on. If I dont know how, or don't have experience, give me one guy that does and we'll get a 4 man job done. No one has a clue how to use me because I'm "the tall guy that does everything." No one is willing to pay for that either because I dont have 10-20 years of specialized experience in whatever they specifically want. Anyways, rant aside... I signed on to IUOE. I am a skilled labor, who ends up being a shovel and broom guy due to the insane shortage of labors, no one wants to, and no one physically can because you do 3 men worth of labor typically. My boss wants to try to keep me on, but I know he can't match union wages and benefits. However, I do know he can give me job security, and stays local. The union scares me a bit, since it is based on seniority. I have no clue what decision is the right one. I think union has more potential to be a hoe operator, and not always be a shovel and broom man. How stable would it be tho? Are they going to lay me off at the first sign of slowing down? Should I just jump and hope I land somewhere good? Anyone want to hire me? Lol
If you want to do it all and reap the benefits, start your own company. You are about the right age for it.
Haha, right? I can't afford it tho....
No one ever can
I started my own trucking company at 23, owned my own semi on lease to a line haul company then; I was a Working foreman for more than one company with at the highest point six working FOR me, at the same time had my own side business working HE as I could get to or Marine as they would find my name thru word of mouth. I never advertised or volunteered a phone number to a service just to those that spread the word I worked hard and relatively reasonable. JUST DO IT!!
Most hiring is done based on the lowest common denominator. That means they expect everyone to be stupid (as stupid as them?). Now a stupid guy with qualifications and 4 years experience in his craft can usually be expected to function in the required capacity. That is almost a sure thing. A guy who says he can do something and has no proof is a big risk. Now if the people who did the hiring were smart themselves, they would understand that a jack of all trades is what he is because of superior cognitive skills. He can teach himself most trades. He may not be as fast but he can figure it out and do it and improve from there. Another problem is anti-discrimination laws. If they hire someone because they think he's smart in spite of his minimal qualifications, then they may get sued when they don't give the same treatment to the next guy with minimal qualifications. These lawsuits again bring it down to the lowest common denominator.
leap of faith or a good long drinking weekend could help also. I never liked the union though. the starting your own company is also nice because the potential is all yours and the economy is doing good its a good time to put your feet in the water and try.
I started out with a pickup full of tools rattling around everywhere. And a flexible side job to pay the rent. Did it all on cash, or credit cards paid in full when the statement came, making sure the accounts are short and the customer pays before the credit card comes due.
Lot of pressure on your own. Can you hack it? Lee Trevino is a professional golfer that started out working as a caddy for food and family money. I'm paraphrasing his take on pressure, " pressure is the last hole on the golf course working a $100 bet with $10 dollars in your pocket." Business is a leap of faith in your own skills, abilities, ethics and moral code to fulfill any commitments you make.
I think this is overstating it a little but being in your own business is not for everyone like being outside of prison is not for everyone. This country would be better off if a lot more people had the Lee Trevino experience.
I would love to start my own backhoe and excavating business. I would have to run everything off rental, which would be rough. I'm not saying it isn't possible. Just tough. I may start looking for Saturday work as a backhoe service and start there. The thing with all this is, being in southern california, I need a contractor's license and insurance. That's just to start looking. I'm not a fan of doing things the wrong way or illegally.
Something you might look into but in az you don't need a license if your digging for the licensed company for that specific work So a plumbing companies license will cover the company they hire to dig for plumbing same with a concrete company just a thought Over half the guys in my area are unlicensed cause they sub directly to the plumber or concrete guy by the hour so its pretty cut and dry
Not a fan of CA or CA laws, was born there but lost nothing to go back there. Over regulated, over-hyped, and OVER expensive. Chargeable moneys are great rates but have to be just to live there.
for nc I just have to be under 30k but I still went and got everything legal which was a test and that was it but other then that renting isn't bad if your dealer is good
Only downside on renting is the cost of machine time. It's the way I go but you have to watch the hour meter sometimes you don't have the room to pay another day on a piece of equipment. It adds a bit of complexity to managing jobs sometimes too if a machine has to be back or you can't get it. This thread's a bit derailed. I've noticed a lot of places looking but paying unlivable wages. I've been looking to go back into it working for somebody full time; a lot of these places don't call back for an interview and always seem to be advertising for people. Many are offering too low of a wage for me to take a job. Class A CDL and seat time where I'd say I can do it on about anything but friction rigs and graders and places want to pay 15 to 20 an hour. Problem is I'd like to keep my house and that isn't going to cut it.
Who told you the IUOE has seniority. It does not. A contractor can keep or lay off any personnel they want. I laid off or kept dozens and dozens in my career based on project needed talent and work ethic.
IUOE Local 12 has seniority = A list , they have 1st shot @ jobs. 60 months to be instated(receive any benefits paid; quit @ 59 months, kiss that $$ good-bye) and get on the A list.
Not all IUOE locals have a seniority clause. Can be called by the employer for specific individuals that show better skills or ethics here in MO. As to wages there are tons of advertised Class A CDL jobs here, some with HE background to P&D machines or to work both phases, they too fail to be competitive with wage or wage/benefit packages to draw workers worth their salt. Sad for the industry. Many are low balling $12-15/hour where shop work or in house work at long term employers are well over $20/hour, will not get many Quality applicants this way.
Around here we see the same trend with wages maybe just a little better I think one thing that drives it is half the guys walking through the door dont have much talent to offer anyone that does has a job that pays decent if not great
I feel the problem is they expect experience over talent. They dont understand talent when they see it, or vice versa.
I think the problem I really see are a lot of the bigger places that can pay decent dont have anyone hiring that has done the job and the smaller guys can't pay as well or if the y can are pretty demanding cause as an owner working with employees it gets hard from time to time to keep your expectations reasonable the small guy use them self's as the standard and most guys are not going to work like the owner But the margin of error in this business has changed drastically trades dont work together no one looks ahead I can't get customers to schedule digging more than 4 days ahead every day I get a call needing a backhoe for tomorrow and everyone is shocked I am a week out or more
I agree 100 percent Azlron. Owners use themselves when they were in their prime, and expect you do do that all day every day for peanuts. I can vet anyone in anything I have experience in just by spending one day learning their method. I see how they work, how they work with others, guage their flexibility in the skills they have, and the quality of their experience they use. I use the same method for things I'm not experienced in, and most of the time my first impression is pretty close. Me personally, the first thing I look at is how they labor. Knowing how they were trained to work at the start tells you how well they can work with others. The fact that so many will pick up 1 shovel and move to a new location when there are 10 tools on the ground still amazes me. The same goes with job scheduling. I see small jobs stretched out for years, seemingly for no reason other than poor planning. I also see equipment sit on sites for months collecting dust, never moving.
Dont get me started on poor planning that's the biggest reason I work by the hour I have been to one job off and on for the last 2 months we have moved the same pile of dirt no less than 3 times I have some customers that are just a breeze to work for even on the really complicated stuff cause they know what they want and how to accomplish it and I have others that can't figure out how to layout a job let alone have it ready before I get there
"FINDING" qualified help is NOT hard to find.. "KEEPING" qualified help IS..
You will want to remember that when your on the table under the knife. Doctor how many back surgeries have you performed? Only one and that will be yours but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Truck Shop
I know whatcha mean.. The ER I ended up at isn't known for saving lives if ya know what I mean.?? I could go to Charleston for the "bone" stuff, but I'm not so sure its worth the hassle?? The other hospital has all the xray's & write-ups already.. & whats the worse that could happen, they cut it off ?? So I pick my nose w/ the other hand..Lol
Our local hospitals are Triage only setup, they align you for transport to one in the Columbia or STL MO large hospitals some 60-80 miles away. Hurt enough to be crippled by delay and you may as well count on losing functions. My back surgeries were done by the presumed best in the state. He was pretty straight forward in warning of age related arthritic issues he saw while inside, gave me around a decade before gets to where will be a major issue(two years ago now). Then the SI joint issue came up where I most likely had carried that over thirty five years and could not feel it damaging it a little more each year where now it has feeling and lets me know when I am doing too much as well the insurance company Will NOT pay for repair. Aging is a trap and a trick, you still see and think as you have for decades, just the body will/can no longer make it happen.
you sure said a mouthful there
The qualified truck driver and just finding drivers has another side to it, especially when it comes to OTR refrigerated freight. My boss just like many others constantly cry about finding drivers and has complained to us in the shop {I don't know how many times} why drivers are so hard to find. DUH? My response-The driver shortage started about 3 years ago as the percentage of unemployed dropped not helping the situation. Good drivers started picking up close to home jobs {Prevailing Wage} which really shrank the pool and at 3.7 percent unemployed employers are raising wages to keep the drivers they have and stop them from jumping companies. Which causes inflation. In the frozen/refrigerated trucking business you don't want to see employment percentage fall below 5%. Good times or bad just average employment figures of 5 to 6% are what you want to see. With 3.7 percent your going to get the dregs from the bottom of the barrel for drivers. Next thing to rise is your insurance cost from the new hires damaging your equipment which he has already seen and admitted to. JMHO. I'm sure this will bring a sour response. lol Truck Shop
Are seeing that in the bulk commodities divisions here, the guys and gals shops want to hire are already working, that leaves those just coming off driving school yards or as in my case retirees looking for a boredom breaker. All too many do not or can not do the hours the employers want or demand and play spin the bottle as to the Next employer. Good people that work hard are out there working hard, those that slough are not and at best are slightly damaging machines not destroying them. Don't know how to jump from here and in no way have any answer on how to fix.
Regardless of the responses TS.. "I THINK" your dead right.. I really hate to see unemployment at 5-6% but in THIS situation, {drivers} I understand..
I’m a driver and what truck shop said is exactly right I ran 2.5 years reefer and currently run flatbed and am starting to seriously look at something closer to home I know the first good snowfall we get along 40 from Oklahoma eastward it’s going to look like ww3 with all the new drivers supposed to get 3-5 inches this week in Missouri at the house and I’m sure that will be interesting
Was rough along the 44 corridor yesterday, had a pair of Tractor Trailers get into a incident at Chesterfield MO on I64/US40, both burned one driver died. I got tired of working around the idiots when I was still driving the Grain haul, saw enough ignorance accidents to fill a encyclopedia and in under a year.
My favorite line is I can run anything that moves, and another good one fed to me by a hoe man was " diggiin's diggin". Just because a guy can pull the controls and make it work, doesn't mean he's an operator. Technique and common sense comes into play. One of these I can run anything guys came with us on a private job. I cut out the material with the grader and he took the material away with the backhoe. The customer had a hole he wanted to fill. He moved the material away as fast as I cut it out. Went to check on his progress..... Nice and level, but instead of filling the hole, he filled the ditch draining the hole. I like the guy, or girl who says little, and asks questions
We had a guy just like that. He was filling a dump with stone that had to go a short distance. While the dump driver and I were talking he kept filling. We heard stone falling and looked up to see every sq inch of the box full. It was piled so high when he dumped on top it ran off. He did a few other dosies before we let him go.
That's just being efficient and not wasting space. LOL
Been involved with someone as that loading grain. Ended up pulling out of a farm grossing 89,730 but only had sixteen miles to get to the elevator. Tarp would barely roll over the mounds! He was being helpful and loaded the truck as I was taking the other one to the elevator, had planned on going to the Grain Depot in IL some 108 miles away to offload but that was NOT happening.
Well I'm back at the hamster wheel again. Put the ads out yesterday. Got on reply today. "I've got no experience, and should I wait a while to go for the post test? It's not clean right now." Where do these guys come from?
That is a BIG problem these days, idiots using dope and still want to get a high pay job KNOWING they will be tested, SO Stupid. Wife's co-worker husband has a Felony record, been hard to find work but IS a qualified welder, idiot refuses to stop smoking dope which he also has to purchase with REAL money and cannot pass testing to get better paying jobs. And Yes, you CANNOT fix stupid.
This state is full of people who won’t give it up for the sake of a career. I don’t have a problem with that. Being able to pass a drug test at any time puts me ahead of so many. Add in my skill set and it’s even better. It sucks for employers needing help but I will not complain about any factor that helps to make me a more valuable employee
Pretty much sums it up. The guy I spoke of also tried as my Sis in Law has the garbage 'If you eat or dink this will pass and still can smoke' cures. Sis In Law in Co lost her license some time back, was involved in a SLIGHT fender bender, cop asked for her insurance card where as she got In her car he was close and could smell the pot smoke residual, asked her if she was a user, she stated "I smoke once in awhile in the car but never when driving", her license was surrendered and she has to take a Clean drug test to get it back. REFUSES to stop smoking the crap and is trying all the stupid faux cleans it up techniques, four times to the clinic and four times re-failed. Wife's friend's husband similar, even tried to get a CDL and failed the DOT screen after drank some concoction "Guaranteed" to get a pass.
There’s no cure for stupid. I’m of the opinion that what you do in the privacy of your home is your business. But when your business start effecting others then it’s not no longer your business and then we now have a duty to say something. It’s simple to me but then again I’m not in there shoes. If you have to stop doing drugs in order to get your freedoms back then do it! Stop trying to get around and blaming the system that has you hemmed up. You lost your license, job, children! Is nobody’s fault but your own. That is the problem with the world today. Nobody wants to except responsibility for their ****. I could go on and on about this forever. The only thing that we can do is to start holding people accountable.
1 of my boss's favorite "tricks" to get rid of someone w/o having to pay unemployment bennies was>> To do a pop drug test the day u came off of vacation.. EVERYBODY that he did that too, failed.. & was given the opportunity to "resign".. They ALL took the "resign" option.. In SC if u QUIT a job, your not entitled to unemployment bennies..
As you all probably already know, marijuana is legal here in Canada now. Its definitely a strange situation. I still get urine tested every 3 months. I have no idea if they're still looking for marijuana or not.
Yeah, I think its a "farce".. IF its legal, one should be able to consume "whatever" on their own time.. BUT seeing THC stays in the bloodstream about 30 days after the initial use.. one could "fail" a drug test at anytime within that 30 day window.. UNLIKE booze..& we all know what happens to that..{flush} The "new" [old} test is a hair folical test.. they have come up w/ a formula for hair growth.. they can take a sample of your hair at the root & see WHEN u last "imbibed". {partook in the wacky tabaky}
We still have drug free workplaces so even if it legal or not its a company policy and terms of your employment, in the usa its the states passing it not big govermant in their eyes its still illegal at this time which means cdl holders in states that have legalized best not **** dirty due to they are in fact under federal scrutiny not state laws .
Like I said>> "Farce".. There is NO test {that I know of} that can positively tell if your under the influence at the time of suspicion.. FOR "weed".. I keep seeing on that show "Cops" they give the same test as a DUI for alcohol.. & "find" the tester guilty on the spot.. its a "farce".. Its always the same>> I can "smell" it in your car & your eyes are red.. "click, click goes the cuffs.. Unlike booze, an employer can send u to the testing place & have u wiz in a cup to check for alcohol level. OR have u blow into the tester..
Actually, in this state anyway, with the field sobriety test they only need enough to show you being impaired and can then force to make a choice between a blood test or forfeiting your driver's license. It doesn't have to be weed in your system. We have plenty of other recreational substances that cause problems for drivers.
I know this is getting off track so I'll leave it at this.. Have u seen the video of the girl & her friends getting pulled over .. shes an honor student, decorated by the mayor.. all sorts of commendations.. never touched a drug in her life.. & just on "principle" she declined allsorts of "tests" this yahoo wanted to administer.. because he "smelled something".. It was filmed by 1 of the passengers.. the girl was arrested .. afterwards the cop was "let go".. quietly..
In MO, is still considered a Controlled Substance unless Medically prescribed and then MUST be Declared by the patient to the employer who can furlough or reassign that employee to a position where impairment is not a issue. HE Operator, Truck herder, forklift operator/warehousing, dangerous machine(lathe or mill) operation all can be denied access to work place if impaired on any controlled schedule drugs.
Had a interesting Listen as I paid a bill this morning. Kid was arguing with a employer that the employer HAD to train new people and should not be hiring off the street qualified help as was hurting the new prospects chance. Kid was adamant he was right and that he could do any job as well as anyone in the yard if given some instruction and coaching. Co. Owner looked at me and winked, told the kid that he could start where all unskilled start and on a truck at $14/hour so the kid without thinking said Yes, was directed outside to the trash truck coming up to fuel was told when could manage to spend six months throwing trash would consider training for something else, kid walked away.
Yep, because he wants a "good" job. He may be smart, but his work ethic sucks. When I was detailing rebar, the supers would keep saying we didn't have enough guys on the site. We called labor ready for 12 guys, 8 would get back in the van when they got there.
So, I had the millennial talk with an old guy at the gym. He was talking smack about healthy guys in their 20s and 30s still living at home with the parents. I'll try to make this quick.... In a nutshell, he save around $1m, with house paid off, has 6 cars paid off and insured, and says he doesn't get it. He lives comfortably with all his stuff. 6 cars? So you pay $120 a month for insurance? Yes. About $2000 /year for property tax? No, about $900. Ah, so you bought it in the 60's? Yes. So you live on about $20k a year? Yes. Ok, to give you perspective, my house, at 1100 sf, and a new ford focus, bought today, thru the banking system, with comp and collision insurance, because the bank requires it, would put me in need of making $80k per year, just to survive. No way! My house is worth 250k atm. That's $1800 to $2k per month just to live. Car, $300 per month. Insurance, $250-300 with a super clean record and low mileage discount. Assume 300 utilities, 200 for gas, 800 groceries, 600 for medical, 300 retirement. That's 50k out of pocket per year. Thats not 80k. Taxes are rough 30% of your income. That's 56k take home. You now have 6k per year to do anything else and cover any random expenses. To live in a 3 bed, 1.5 bath townhome in an ok neighborhood with no yard against a busy street. What if my wife needs a new car? ..... Oh, and I make nowhere near $80k per year. How many jobs do you know that make $80k per year or more without 10+ years of experience? .....
The only difference between now and when any of us "old timers" started is the scale of what we had to pay. When we started out we were so poor we couldn't afford toys for the kids. Had to give them an old bones just so the dogs would be friends with them.
Ya, and housing and cost of living isn't as screwed up as it is here in so cal. I understand and I'm not villainizing anything. I'm not saying the millenials aren't for the most part useless as well. The big problem, is if you look at everything objectively and add it up, a descent playing job is only paying half the living costs. When people realize this, they start looking for "get rich quick," because "that guy did it, and it works!" Enter, the millennial.
Cry me a river. What millennials don't understand and refuse to accept is. We didn't leave mama's house with a brand new car and into a new home with cable,internet cell phones etc,etc. I left home with nothing but a bag of clothes. Saved and paid cash for my first car. I didn't even have a phone until I was 25. Never had cable. And I was 35 before I had internet installed. It is a gradual process. You get what you can afford not what you want. So if you are still living with mama, cancel the smart phone, sell your brand new car and buy a cash car, and then move out! Nobody owes you jack. If you want it then get off your butt and get it. No one is going to give it to you. You have to earn it.
Currently retired but worked from $5/hr in 1975 to the 40+/hr after qualified Operations Tech at the Nuke, On that $5/hr bought tools, a truck, a boat, a home and still had coin to buy gas, go drinking and play with dirt track race cars. So managed correctly and living WITHIN one's means you can live quite comfortably on less money that the Millennial Dreamscape. A common wage around here pulling trash 40-50 hours a week of $14/hr can add up with the OT, NOT buying tools, smaller outside city limits homes are NOT $1800/mo to buy and many are well afforded at less than $600/mo with minor amounts utilities. No need for much of a car or light truck, old does fine, no payments, cheap insurance and NOT in CA. Know too many with two or three kids and living on wages as shown(both parents working) without state or parents aid. Two earning some OT on $14-16/hr can add to 60-65000/yr, with the added deductions can see less insurance ~~70% of that take home. Get a few hours skill time come to a agreement with the boss step up in the ranks to driver or equipment operator and double your income in a year.
BTW I also worked Side Jobs, busted my butt to make MORE money as a contractor earning bigger coin for less hours for years, at some points passed myself coming and going while doing without more sleep than could get across my pickups front seat on lunch break. You get what you will accept and nobody is gonna give you a free ride at top dollar to be a learner.
That brings up the next battle. Women(No Offense MD) are pushing for the job I used to have, see it in their necessities to earn the wages I had. I do NOT begrudge them the opportunity but they wish to shirk the rules. Smaller young woman qualified by testing mentally, she passed the psych examinations but got to fire brigade basis tests and failed so has now filed lawsuit. In my mind she is threatening the safety of others should she manage to get the courts to see her way. She dripping wet and fully bunker geared out weighed in UNDER 190 lbs. Bunker gear by itself was 45lbs, SCBA was another 30. So she weighs 110 pounds at 4'5" and frail to say the least. We had to in full gear and SCBA walk 300' across a gravel floor compound, climb a three story tower(Stairs) rope haul a coiled stick of 2 1/2" fire hose to the top then place it HAND OVER HAND back on the ground, exit the stairs, pick up a 1 1/2" hand line hose drag 150' of it to a curb valve, pull the next coupling(100') to that curb valve finally accessing a simulated smoke filled room, find a rescue dummy and retrieve it to the door threshold, proceed to dessout and remove scba, all those steps in under 10 minutes. She never made it past the hose lift. She tried twice, they waved that and allowed her to get to the rescue dummy(typical weight 180lbs.) could not drag it from the building, three tries. I do not mind, and DID work with capable women on the staff, those I DID trust could drag my big dead arse or myself drag theirs out of a fire situation in an emergency but there has to be a line of limitations.
None taken! Those of us that can, do. Those of us who can't because of the physical limitations of the box we arrived in, either need to develop said container into a qualifying profile to fit the task at hand. Develop a qualifying work around that enables us to complete the task at hand within acceptable parameters or set a more physically attainable goal. I have found ( as I mentioned recently in one thread somewhere else) that as I have aged (40 years in) I noticed while boarding iron, it seems to be getting taller now. Getting out of the back of a triaxle box is now almost requiring pitons and ropes and foolishly helping a labor who is trying to load a generator into a pickup single handed will result in a 2 day Advil consumption festival. I can still run and I can still drive, however the sands of time have tilted the playing field in favor of "my guy's." (love them like brothers and kids) However given my tenure in our collective chosen path and just outright bullheadedness (<word?) I am going to keep on keeping on till I reach that predetermined point I have selected for myself or I become no longer able to safely complete the tasks. I work now because I love doing it. Time is stern task master and I have seen my career zenith, however I can look back on it and the people past and present and smile with great warmth... If I could give a gift to a millennial male or female in our line of work or considering it. I guess it would be a glimpse of my/our sense of accomplishment and pride of craft.
I never said anything about paying someone top dollar to learn. I'm saying if they have the skills, don't rope them into the same boat as the ones without, and learn how to spot the difference between the two.
if it makes yall feel any better a local contractor got a brand new Kenworth and one of his newest drivers got in and about destroyed the thing before the first payment went out tried to tailgate gravel and hit a tree branch cant remember how it was angled but guy told me if he kept going it would of destroyed the cab. and here's another great thing a local town is growing and cant find or hire any trucks with out paying a stupid amount of money because of the supply and demand.
Need to understand, when start with a new employer will be low on the pole as well until prove your value will be on the low end of pay spectrum, all us old farts in here were in those shoes and more than once. They have no clue what skills you do or do not have until you work awhile in sight of the boss. We learned to Not extend our credit so moves could be achieved if need be, in the 70s/80's/90s the odds of a company closing or being bought up and consolidated or just deciding to not have mechanics at high pay happened a lot, have to gear your mind to that way of thinking or you are sunk before ever float that boat. Had more than one employer, contract shop manager walk up and let me know the money was being cut, had not the funds to pay us the given rate so could stay or the door opened both ways, I walked quite a few occasions. I lived like a squatter more than once, rental trailers, RV trailers, even in old garages turned apartment until I knew what or where I was headed.
Prospective employees need to understand things from the viewpoints of employers and other employees and the interrelationships between. Some companies I have worked for in the distant past were quite up-front in their ideology that seniority meant little to them and that the best should be promoted, letting the least performers live with it. I doubt it's even possible to operate that way any more because of the complexity of EOE and related potential lawsuits. So if you're the new guy with a lot of high expectations you have to consider that if those who were hired before you are slow to advance, there is no "passing lane" for faster employees to get what they think they deserve. The only way around this is in high turnover situations. Back in the day, getting on with smaller companies you could at least hire on at low pay and prove yourself, then demand what you're worth and move on if they don't agree. An employer in this scenario has to consider that a female/minority employee may sue him if he lets a more recent hire advance quickly. So legislation has mandated value and we cannot expect the law of supply and demand to completely dictate the value of labor anymore.
I was referring to keeping or laying off employees once on the job. Hiring hall rules are a different animal in some areas entirely. 60 months is a long time to get on the A list. You probably do not need to worry about boomers taking your work unless it is crazy busy for 5+ years.
We had 2 guys give 2 weeks notice this week one is the guy that just got out of school. I was going to go part time when he got out of school hes been out 2 weeks and i was trying to finish up some stuff this week.I dont like it their because of so many hours. Last year they hired a guy and about the time i had things wraped up so i could go part time he quiet.I could take off but it makes it tuff on the one guy left in the shop i know this becuse i was that one guy before.
The whole problem is it will only get worse. I keep helping a company only because they have no one who can figure out how to fabricate a thing.
All I'm gonna say about the last 2 post is>> as long as u put up w/ it.. the longer it will go on.. Been there done that.. & as soon as something happens to u, where u NEED TO take off/leave.. u get treated like a dog..
Its hard to imagin but thats what happens. I dont plan on staying there alot longer but i thought if i worked less hours i would stick it out longer.
Very true.
Most of the time this is probably true. But there are a few people out there yet in management that see where things are headed. I am fortunate to be in that position. I work for myself and only give them a hand when they need someone to think outside the box. The other side to that is I absolutely enjoy my work. I have been very fortunate to find something that I enjoy doing, I have found something that I am good at, and most important I have found a few people who are willing to pay for it. Doesn't happen very often from what I seem to hear.
This. I actually enjoy running a hoe. It's a thing that takes talent to be good at it and accurate. I had a job for a year in environmental remediation. That was pretty fun. Every day was a different job. My biggest issue currently is no one wants to labor. Me and my boss do 90% of the labor and operating ourselves, partially due to people not being able to get the "next step" or the (glance over to the left)"crap! He's doing something else! I gotta go help over there!" If you switch gears, people often can't keep up, and more often have tunnel vision, and get upset when their tunnel crumbles. We cant afford to stop machinery, yell across the jobsite, and have a meeting to explain every detail of every task throughout the day. That being said, I would gladly explain the process, why, how, when. The lack of desire to do the job properly and amount of frustration that comes up when things change or shift as they progress is the reason we do most of it. The comedy of it all is, most of the time 2 people are almost always, at any given time, doing utterly unproductive work and making themselves tired and frustrated for no reason or gain. Purely to look busy.
There are several things i dont like about my job the boss is no mechanic and dosent understand why anyone would need that tool he went to a shop that was selling out and they tryed to sell him a press we dont have one so i drive 8 miles to use mine or go to another shop to use theirs. There are several things that could be changed that the customers complain about to us but then wount go to him and say any thing. I started offering $20.00 if the customer would complain to the boss about no one will take my money.I use alot of my tools at work because we dont have or it saves alot of walking but that makes me work alot of hours loading and unloading tools that i dont get payed for.I am burnt out on mechanic work anyway to many things to worry about the shop is a 3 hour trip from any parts and its geting harder to find a good parts guy and theres geting to be more things that i cant do because of so many things are computer controled. If i had to do over agin i wouldnt have worked in any small shops were i had to be every thing from the janitor to the partsman its to many headaches.
Some of the many reasons I got out of independent work Old Doug.
I'm thinking you probably don't know the power that you have over your "Boss". You should probably do your own sit down with the "Boss" instead of asking someone else to do the fighting for you. I know you like most of what you are doing and still get the satisfaction of seeing a dead machine start up and go earn money but it sounds like you are being taken advantage of. If you need the press just tell them you can't do a job and a machine will sit. If the shop is cluttered, then only clean up what it takes to do what you need to do and leave the rest. Tired of using and wearing out all your own tools then replace what you break and leave it at home. When I quit being an employee I found that I run the jobs now and if my client doesn't like it they can find someone else to provide the same service. The phone rings pretty steady when someone finds out I'm available.
I have been out of the circuit too long, did not keep up with the later electronic engines and try to remain in that corner for now.
Your using YOUR CAR to run for parts & going to diff. shops.?? Oh h*ll no.!!! I started doing that 5-10-15 times & then it became the norm UNTIL "I" put a stop to it.. I simply said, "throw me your keys".. U shoulda seen the LOOK.. & I calmly said, "what?? I'm SUPPOSED TO use my truck cuz "U" don't have this part/tool.?? I was never asked to use MY truck again..
Rule #1 with the employer never let him know your helpless and hungry. Employers really like employees that are up to their *** in debt, their afraid of losing their job and will take all the **** the boss can pitch at him. If the employer has a notion the employee is solvent the employee has more bread and less **** in his daily sandwich.
Very true, but also very dangerous. Especially in construction. I got fired for being the one who won't shut up and bend over, even though I was the one who did almost all the proper finish work, and most of the labor. Anyways. Owners right now are usually raised in the 70s construction era. Old school, "shut up and look busy guys." If you don't look busy while waiting on that dime, the dollar is "wasted." If they aren't there to micro manage, same scenario. Honestly, it doesn't matter how skilled you are. They are happy with one skilled guy working himself to death, and a bunch of brown nosing do nothings that cost 1/3 of that guy each. They think the bodies make the operation look professional. Bleh, I need to build my own operation.
We always said rule # 1 was show up & take care of the customers needs first . That's what I like about this …. If a feller gets to thinking he knows better than the employer nobody is stopping them starting there own business & taking care of the customer .
There is no boss as demanding as yourself starting your own operation is great until you have to do all the office side to run a business I also have realised when times are good the brown noses find there way into business but that they make it through the lean times cause they can't perform Its all what makes the world go round
Truckshop.. VERY TRUE.. I had an owner actually say that to my face.!! "Keepm hungry & they'll show up to work every day".!!!! Luckily he wasn't talking about me OR owned the company I worked for.. BUT.. about 35 years ago when I was applying to the company for the 1st time, the owner asked me if I was married.?? I said, no..free as a bird.. He said, Hmmm, we like our employees to have a stable family life to keep them "grounded".. My response was, U mean like calling out of work because your kids are sick..or the wife needs to go to the Dr.??? Needless to say I didn't get the job.. Fast forward..10 years when I applied again, I was practically running the place..
Rule #2 find a job like mine, I take care of a company fleet. I got sick of years dealing with customers and we use to do outside work, I cut that off. What was really funny was the look on their faces when I told them we are not going to do their work anymore. Those same demanding *** holes started to beg {Where are we going to take repairs? you are the best around. quote}. My reply {I don't know that's a problem but you ain't bringing them here anymore} Plus we were only charging $85 an hour compared to the average $110. { Morons}
From my perspective, this nationwide shortage of labor is only helping us right now. Those of us with logic and troubleshooting skills will only be more valuable. The youngsters coming in to this, its gonna be rough for them. They first gotta find someone to give them an opportunity. In my younger days, I would show up 5:30 monday morning and wait for the owner to show up and hound him for a job. Now they call it stalking and harrassment. I'd insist on filling out applications and attach my resume to it, even when they weren't looking for help. I was able to make/force/persuade my own opportunities. Now they tell these kids, sorry, apply online. We don't do face to face. ***? Yer gonna work for someone you can't meet? So, you apply online, they act like they're doing you a favor by trying you out. You get in the door and meet the tool man. Now you're talked into taking on another debt on top of your tuition fees. So, of the let's say $18/hr you get $12 is already spent. If it's a union position, you'll be compelled to join. More money . And yer not even earning a living, you're just paying debts. You might be able to sleep in your car and buy a couple burgers through the week, if you're lucky. I really feel for the kids coming into this whose parents didn't prepare them.
Have three fellas figured out I used to work on the older machines, nobody around here wants to deal with them as parts are getting iffier and iffier to find(Pre 90). The first asked me IF he could have me look at his truck and give recommends, told him $120 an hour JUST to look, he walked away mumbling. Second one told me I was a Highway robber wanting that much money, asked him what he paid KW at Fenton, he too walked away mumbling something. Last fella did not ask how much, just started talking as if I NEEDED some work to do, was really cheeky in offering $45/hour, told him to triple it and I would CONSIDER. He called me stupid and arrogant, I walked away. My time is MY time, I have no need to beat myself to death anymore and HELL NO not for less than $120 would I even consider.
You tell'em Dave that's what I would do! I'm an independent cuss.
I hate that apply online BS. Face to face or you and your company aren't worth my time.
I personally don't mind applying online. I am currently looking for a different job and it makes it hard to get applications put in when you are at work all day. The problem I have is that employers want my skill set and love my resume. But they don't want to pay for my skills . They offer low wages with the promise of lots of overtime. I don't think so. You want my skills then you will have to pay for it . And overtime should be a choice that I make, not because of your poor management decisions and now everyone has to work late to make you look good. Overtime is a fool's game. No one on their death bead has wished they had spent more time at work.
I agree. I used to work a ton of OT in my early 20's (like 18 on, 3 off) but now that I'm pushing 30, no thank you. I just want to work my regular shift and go home.
Mine promises prevailing wages, which is less than half what it was last year due to losing an account. Luckily the foreman worked out that we dont work weekends, so that's a huge bonus! Top off that it's almost all local work. I put up with a lot of extra dumb just for that. I'm doing the gentle push toward expanding the equipment "fleet" as he is working away from paving and toward dirt and demo work(we have no hoe or water truck...). I did office work for 10 years straight out of college, so I can do it and train it, I just don't enjoy it. You go a little nuts when all you ever see is plans and a calculator, and literally no one will listen to you talk about work for more than about 30 seconds(but that's normal for almost any work.).
Missed my kids growing up, working one full time midnight's and a second day shift. So much time lost, no where near what I sold it for. The B!tch is , can't get it back. Once it's gone, it's gone. Never to return. You think, when you're young, I can do this. I'll have plenty of time later. WRONG! For some, later never comes, for the rest of us, we only realize afterwards. Try to manage your time. Next to your skillset , it is the most precious resource you have to sell. Think like this, do I wanna be a $2 whore or a high priced b!tch. I'll be a high priced b!tch thank you
Kind of on topic. Some here might recall me writing about the top man in the state making the claim or should I say the threat to the employees at the local quarry a few years before I retired that if we didn't like how he ran the company we could leave out that door. He said for everyone of you guys here there are ten guys outside the gate just waiting for a chance to take your jobs. Good news is he retired a couple months ago, but I have not talked with my old boss much to see how the "new kid" is compared to mister AH! Funny thing is wife just noticed a couple days ago at the four corners just north of the quarry gate is a 4 foot by 8 foot sign saying WE ARE HIRING with phone numbers and email addresses for people to contact. Guess those ten guys for everyone of us gave up and went someplace else to work!
Signs up all around here, Mechanics, Machinists, Drivers, Electricians, some shops PLEADING on FB ads for applicants. Pretty sad state of affairs currently.
Everyone wants the AC office job. Pretty soon no one will be able to get their cars repaired.
I was a single man back then. My plan was to set myself up good enough so I wouldn't be forced to work once I settled down. I don't want to miss big milestones in my future kids' lives because I can't afford to take an afternoon off. It was a great paying gig while it lasted. Once they got cheap by not paying 1.5 after 8, double after 12 and double all day Sundays I left.
How do you get away with that? I guess I cant say much, I got "drive time" if I was driving a non commercial work truck back to the yard....
Last work I did complete and SOME TIME BACK, acquaintance had a old Phelan Float, one tail light still worked, got a ticket and managed to talk them into taking it home. Called me, made a estimate(HIGH) as a lot of crawling. Six way cable, new plug, junction boxes four wire sheathed for the back, a box full of Peterson sealed lamps, sheet steel and pvc pipe with bags of Conduit clips. Started with hole saw work to set flush lamps, new steel in rear for flush Peterson style tails. New cable pulled thru PVC pipe to junction boxes, single wires thru old air tubing I had. Set him up in just over 14 hours, all wiring secured and sheathed to protect. He was grateful to hand me $950 labor. He is the same turd that I built the Pipe Tongue Pup for almost thirty years ago. HE STILL cannot change a 1157 bulb without shearing one pin, can almost chew gum and walk.
They increased the hourly wage by a few bucks an hour and called it a blended rate.
Well I don't have a skillset but I do have a skillet! How do you like tour eggs?
Tour=your
Over medium if ya don't mind
That's good because I only cook them over medium, I just asked how everyone liked their eggs, it had nothing to do with how they would get'em.
When my company cut out the OT.. THATS WHEN I said, screw'm.. Nobbody sittin in a chair got their pay cut.. We used to start at 7:30 - 5.00 a built-in 30 minutes of OT a day w/ the option of taking a 30 min. lunch.. 1 hrs was allotted.. So they cut THAT right out.. BUT NOT for the pencil pushers..{salary} they continued to stager in at 9:30 when 9am was THEIR start time & the REGULAR 2-2.5 hr lunches was the norm.. So ANY TIME I was asked to work OT to get a job completed it was a resounding NO..
Everybody, shops, machine owners are looking for bargain basement prices to pay either in wages or per hour charges for repairs, not going to get better in the near future as shops close no help, as we age and leave the business or lose capability to do our own work, as replacements fail to show up and these machines continue to complicate up. The office staffs only see the bottom line, they do not see their own business mortality winging out the door.
We could discuss this til the cows come home, and nothing will change. The only thing that causes major change unfortunately is a major financial melt down. And even then it's questionable.
agree to this. real life
And they all b!tch about apprenticeship. What if I train them, and they leave? What's your alternative, beat the dead horses? Just look at all the managers and supervisors trying to get the last tech/mechanic to get up and perform repairs.
In that photo above it was a common practice to beat a dead horse in that time period. Horse meat stew was a delicacy in those days and it was a proper way for the whole town to socialize while tenderizing the carcass.
Well of course someone had to bring up the cultural significance of the horse beating. Kinda took the wind out my sail. Thanks though, I did not know the history of that.
I like, "the rule of thumb".. personally..{look THAT up, lol} I coulda used THAT ONE today.. the Mrs. drove me to the dentist & back..
Post a photo like that and I'm going to jump on it. I have Gary Larson-Far Side humor. Is don't hit it while hammering? Keep it out of both body openings? Keep it out of other peoples body openings? Who knows or why that rule popped up.
You can't use a switch thicker than your thumb to whoop the mrs. My wife , when she found out what it meant, made me a simple proposition. Try it & die! I said,"yes ma'am "
As it should be. d.d.
Had a discussion with the owner yesterday, he asked when i planned on retiring which was no shock to me. His future plans is to move the whole operation to another location build a two bay shop, office and yard after I retire and the rest of the employed boomers that work there. He knows he can't find mechanics that will work the same hours that we in the shop are willing to work now, plus he knows he isn't going to find any mechanics period. So the shop will only be basic oil changes and grease jobs. He is in the process of setting up with the dealer to dedicate a bay for nothing but our trucks and they totally maintain the fleet. He mentioned other fleets are looking to do the same. He knows the added cost but said it will all be passed on to the consumer in freight rates. So there you have it folks. He will have way less to inventory in parts and other investments in the shop. And way less wages involved to operate a quicky lube for his own rigs. Society is doing it all to it's self, kind of like flesh eating eating bacteria. The industry is eating it's self from within.
Whether you hire inexperienced mechanics or choose to take it to a dealer. All you are going to get is inexperienced mechanics. Dealers don't like to hire guys with experience. They know what they are worth.
But the load is on the back of the dealer along with the warranty.
Good luck to the owner TS Dealers are in as bad shape and issues with manpower As you afe well aware these new fangled garbage piles are a load of mechanical failures along with the loose nuts behind the wheels Even service grunts are getting scarce to find or keep
Same reason GPS grade control is taking over dirt moving and headed towards autonomous machines it wont really save any money but computers dont call in sick and a monkey can dig with GPS grade control Interestingly tho like every other part of this industry there it's going to be a very long time before if at all some of the super technical stuff or the small things will get automated
That's what they said in 1963 about going to the moon, and look what happened in just six years using a slide rule.
Too bad we don't have the capability to go today. We can't even get people back and forth to the space station, have to use the russkies as our transport.
Free market has a way of correcting itself every time . One day it seems like a good idea to let the Dealer handle all the work . Until ya see the invoices coming in and freight rates have stayed flat . At that point the business owner will do a quick 180 turn & hire some mechanics . What I have noticed in the agricultural world is farmers building big shops and letting the dealer handle dealer issues like parts & warrantee work . Every thing else gets taken care of in house . One other point … Free Market we are all replaceable . Feller has to make the decision at the time what's best for them .
Hitting the reset button on this, and the reaction to it, and hoping for a good outcome. ~Digger242j
Content removed. Violation of several of the Forum Rules, which have served this community well over the years. ~Digger242j
Yeah but, farmers are b!tchin about right to repair. They're losing ground every year.
Let the dealer handle the dealer issues . Everything else stays " In house " .
Unless it's a Deere, lol.
What? d.d.
Take a few deep breaths and it will be ok Mike . We are all human and sometimes it helps to laugh a little . You got a lot of buddy's here on HEF including myself . We may not agree on everything but share a lot of interest in the same topics . My door is always open bro !
Minneapolis - Moline all the way !
That ain't gonna get no gubmnt work. Not at tier 0 lol
LOL . G- 1000 Vista is like - tier something . It does the job it was built for .
Man, I just hate having to put on my Moderator hat and type stuff in red...
….
Today was the first day with out the young guy he started his new job today i hope it works out for him. They hired another guy to work in another job there but things are messed up so for now he is helping in the shop.I am so burnt out its hard for me under standing why anyone wants to be a mechanic.
The money lol
I had to go to the old shop the other day.. they had a tool I needed to get a job done.. Those people are SOOO Miserable... They hate their jobs & it reflects just TRYING to carry on a conversation.. I loved working there & rebuilding pumps, but the BS & the day to day grind, with the SAME problems w/ the SAME people day after day & NOTHING being done about it, REALLY takes it toll.. They're down to 17 people from 40.. & only 2 fuel shop guys & MAYBE 5 engine mechanics.. Ya think they're a little "top heavy".?? People sitting behind a desk "face booking" & "shopping" ALL DAY.. driving around in company provided trucks w/ gas cards.. & co. provided credit cards. & they wanna know whats wrong {attitude} & why they're not makin any money.?? Lol
I have had alot of AC work this week on company and farm trucks. Some truck cabs cant be used to store ice cream but most drivers dont under stand this. I had to pickup some parts on the way to work and when i drove on the lot at 8:30 a truck was running it was still running at noon. After lunch it was shut off i guess it was running so if the driver had to make a delivery he would have the engine warmed up and the cab cooled off. This cant be good on the AC. It wasnt good on my blood presser but i dont pay for the fuel or repairs.The future of the company now rest on my shoulders they have 2 flaibed trucks one i am replaceing a leaky condencer the other isnt all that cool. I had to make a sevice call one time a trucks AC wasnt working and couldnt be drove back to the shop but i some how made it to the truck and back in a pickup with the windows rolled down 9 miles away.
My old company had the contract to service the Navy's LIFE BOATS.. They go in storage "improperly" then wont start when taken outa mothballs.. They send a tech that doesn't know a socket from a wrench down there to do the job.. ANYBODY with any experience can get 4 running in a day.. that was the "standard".. About 3pm he calls back to the shop to ask one of the fuel shop guys to come give him a hand.. There was 1 guy close by so when he got done w/ his job, he shot right over.. 1st thing ya check is> does it have fuel.?? The guy loosens the bleed screws on the 15 filters they have on the boat & starts pumping away on the hand primer.. NO FUEL.. He turns to the 1st guy & says, THERES NO FUEL in the boat.!!! The 1st guy turns to him & says, "I know, they pumped it out afew hours ago".. The 2nd guy just shakes his head after a few CHOICE WORDS & walks off.. NOW THATS how u drive a company into the ground.!! The 1st guy spent 8-9hrs working on ONE boat that had NO FUEL in it & HE KNEW IT.!!!
I could understand downing a machine if its built like a fishbowl in the summer sun. If you're gonna down a highway vehicle with operational windows because the air don't work, well you're some kinda pu$$y. Way to go Doug, show em how 'men' get it done.
My God! I have no words. And this kid is being trusted with "LIFE BOATS" God help us, we're doomed!
How true, how true.. HE doesn't work there anymore, he QUIT.. he shoulda been fired but he lasted about 5 more years & quit..
was he maybe a former gsa. employee ?
Pumpguy, we had a guy just like your screwball. Couldn’t figure out how to start a backhoe (despite them having two at the school he went to), didn’t know the difference between 12 and 24v battery wiring (despite spending a whole day in school on servicing batteries), and had to have his hand held on very basic stuff like services...and anything more complicated, forget it he’d just stare at his laptop with an expression like a chicken watching a magic trick for days on end instead of doing the work. When he did do work it’d take him three times as long as me ( and I’ll freely admit I’m the slowest in the shop)
They had a shop FULL OF'M.. & everything got shoved to me.. I got sick of it.. BUT I did gain A LOT of experience fixing other guys mistakes.. & to this day, as u can see by some of my posts, just by a decent description of a problem, I can usually fix it via the web..
Whole lotta truth in that statement!!
https://www.ksnt.com/news/local-new...uwaqZug7TVwl9ZWiJ8lXB064F6ZXZrVFGlXscPwlXAdZ0 So, I just happened on this story in another forum. It's a tragedy that someone's family has to deal with. Just remember Darwin is lurking around every corner with his good buddy Murphy. They are waiting for you to make a mistake, hell, it might not be your fault. You could just get caught up as collateral damage. As much as it's "not yet job or mine" watch out for the other dummy. He may be too stupid, in too much of a hurry or just plain uneducated to safety in general.
So a NEW Wrinkle as I buy parts for my old junk, guy with a local Road Service HE and AG service route looks at me and asks if this retiree is ready to go BACK to work, SERIOUS as a Heart Attack. He then looks e over said I may want to lose some weight as dragging all my physique around big machines would hurt a lot. All that and I had stated NOTHING about going to work. Finally waved him off, explained No intent to work full time and nothing open country other than my own will i lay wrenches on, he shrugged and left the parts house. Desk worker at the parts house stated he has been looking for a second or third mechanic for FOUR Years, can find No Help that will stick with him and the money is good just too much work and not enough bodies or hours or trucks or parts.
BTW Since this last posting there have been four more small operations locally closed up due to lack of personnel or buyer to keep the business open. One was not even asking all that much for the shop/large old tooling and client list, had two full time kids to do the small and less money work. All went to Auction Sale last weekend that I missed and is gone, had been for sale for a year.
That's a shame to read. I'm seeing quite a few younger folks getting in. I'm on the dealer side of things though, much different from independent owner operators. A lot of our youngsters are coming through apprenticeships and trade schools. CATs think big program got quite a few into heavy equipment. Its a shame more don't invest in the younger generation (that are worth it), so we'll have a future. I think Deere offers something as well as CNH through vocational education programs. But at the independent level, you get guys that are chemically dependent, drinkers, fugitives etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those shops, those are the places I got my training from. But you get a different group of candidates.
Mostly the ones that work independent shops don't want the regimented/political crap that goes with dealers, plus being a walking advertisement. I know I hated working in that group for that very reason.
The best place to start a career at what we do is at the dealer. The best place to finish this career is anywhere else.
That depends on the dealer, most around here are pretty poor. Whether it be truck or tractor/ag repair 80% of the ones I know are not too happy. Common question asked- {you know any places looking for a mechanic?} I've about had it around here. But when I started {first shop} owner supplied the tools, I used his tax number to buy parts, I could use the shop anytime/weekends to work on my own stuff. I will be damned to find a dealer to do that.
I think a lot of these changes were brought about by insurance companies. Insurance companies are notorious control freaks. They're almost quasi-governmental agencies now. They dictate so many policies we have to follow. You work for a large organization you work in a world of policies and procedures and safety, safety, safety, even if it isn't safe, just as long as you follow those procedures to the letter. If you're the kind of guy who likes to do his own thinking and make his own judgement calls and take his own risks, a smaller outfit is for you.
I got laid off from a dealer when all this covid BS started. Found a nice, small shop to work at. I tell ya'll, dealers can suck it. Its easily 10x more enjoyable working for a smaller shop than a dealership.
Most of the changes were brought about by bean counters.
Bean counters also run insurance companies but that is a mute point because the bean counters that work for the dealers here have destroyed any real service I cant even talk talk to the service writer and or mechanic directly anymore at our cat dealer unless I stop in and see them they have a service account manager who sits at the corporate office not the dealer branch and if I talk to the shop directly he still has to call me at least 4 hours later to get my approval before work can start it's crazy and nothing but a waste of time and resources and because they have all this redundant overhead they have to charge ungodly rates What would the world be like if bean counters quit justify there jobs and just did the work how much would these corporations shrink
It wasn't mute, bean counters are just that bean counters. They pull the same tricks no mater the business. CEO's like'um because the bean counter makes them look smart until it goes upside down then it becomes the bean counters fault. CEO's always have a fall guy. Corporations shrink? The business model today is expand til it goes bust, collect the golden parachute and sneak out when no one is looking and to heck with the workers-that's today's business model. The bean counter and CEO meet up at the golf coarse to play 18 with the new top of the line golf clubs the parachute bought. This garbage has crept it's way into every type of business, no mater the trade guy at the bottom is just used. And the customer may or may not get the service he wanted. Probably not.
Can attest to that golden parachute crap 22 years with Utility saw four CEOs two CNOs (Nuclear) bail when they thought time was right The CEO would receive stock options for his years at the helm that were then sold to cash out and become a big money lecture presenter to the classes at UMSL and SLU The CNO was handed a plate load of goodies including some options All got converted to cash where they opted to disappear to AZ other one ended up in HI where the golf game is better. Whined of our bonus packages costed too much so Ended program, pensions too expensive so now a Cash Balance program for the newbies, insurance was too expensive to provide the few hundreds of retirees so we now foot 75% of the premiums on just supplemental plans. What I can see is the inevitable run out of programs and policies to steal from sell all and end up the employees that held it together during tough times get screwed. Most of the corporate major share holders are company execs these days, few are sold percentage wise to outside buyers. My old employer was 80% self owned management and employees as the use of shares for added $$$ value placed in retirement accounts instead of actual financial funding.
I had a Cat field mechanic last week tell me about some of the new corporate policies going down where he worked. The biggest gripe he had was that the field techs could no longer drive their field trucks home. He said when he was hired to do field service, they had highly touted that as a BONUS to being employed there. He told me 3 field service techs had already left the company, 2 through early retirement and one just wasn't going to go for the new policy. He told me they were irreplaceable with the experience they had and that management just didn't give a dam. That dealer has had a difficult time hiring qualified people for several years now and their customer service really shows it. He said moral within the company was at an all time low and management wasn't trusted a bit. He told me that nothing gets done in their shop and that even simple repairs can take weeks. The turnover in employees is severely high. Management had also raised the field service rates to DISCOURAGE field calls....***? At this point this field tech is considering self employment.............which got an hour long conversation going about my experience with it. He told me I was living his dream LOL I cant even imagine working for a dealer under those conditions and lack of support. Im not sure I could even get out of bed for that.
Used to see the FABICK trucks around in personal home driveways, techs said made life easier as they could get to jobs faster. Was wondering why all are now parked at night at the work centers. Someone else I asked of that stated the guys are not allowed to take the keys home or lock the trucks boxes, are complaining of others using their tools when at the yard.
When I did field work, I refused to take the truck home. I didn't want that thing anywhere near me after hours lol.
Recently the company I worked for changed the way we get paid for travel time. Since this Corona virus stuff hit we have been restricted to 40 hour weeks. It used to be that your house was homebase and you started your time from there and ended your time when you got back. Unless you were to pass the shop on the way to the job or coming home. Basically you started your time at whichever was closer to the customer( the shop or your house). So some of us were hitting 40 hours by Wednesday. Texas is a large state so the customer can be couple hours away. They change the policy to however long it takes to get to the shop from your home is when you would start your time. For some guys that presented a problem because they live couple hours away. For me it didn't change much because I live close to the shop. However the guys started to complain about it. That's when I got the email telling me that it's a benefit to me that I drive their truck to and from work. I didn't much care for that. I look at it as it's a condition of my employment that I have to drive their truck back and forth. I then out of protest told my boss that I didn't need his truck to get to and from work, and started parking the truck at the shop. I actually find it inconvenient to have this truck at home and the only real benefit is that I have more tools at my home. I have just about everything in the garage that is on that truck. So I really don't need it at home.
I have mixed feelings about this. I used to spend a lot of time on call and they had us take a small truck home then. It sure made life a lot easier rather than have to drive to the shop to get a truck and then drive to the call and then back to the shop and then back home. Cheapskate me liked driving the company truck also. But being constantly on call was one of the reasons I went on my own. But now that makes me really constantly on call but the calls are fewer and not driving out to fix the fault of somebody else at the company.
I just didn't like being told that it's a benefit to me. I can see their point, but you can't do this job without driving their truck. That is why I say that it's a condition of my employment. Don't get me wrong. I won't pass my house to park the truck at the shop. But if I am passing the shop I am leaving the truck there.
When I worked side here, I kept most of my tools in a truck at home, could be in and gone to most customers in half the time it took other contractors to get to their shop, load up and swap from car to service wagon, made good time so made more calls more often and thus more money, greed is a evil sidekick but handy.
Its been 30 years since I was employed by a dealer. The last dealer I worked for I was also a field tech.....for Fiat Allis, Gradall, JCB, American crane, Manitowoc, and National Crane. It was a decent sized company with branches in Tulsa, OKC, and Houston. My area of coverage was the eastern half of Oklahoma and a good section of Northeast Texas. Now, having said that, we ALWAYS drove the trucks home and usually went direct to a customers site daily. We had to supply ALL of our own tooling so everything on the truck was MINE!!!! It was well known back then that if our tools were on the truck......then the trucks didn't get left at the shop. The company wasn't going to be responsible for them and made that very clear. We got a $200.00 (cash) per diem per week for expenses (no company credit cards back then) and if we couldn't supply receipts for meals, motels, or fuel...........it came out of our pay. Hell, when I was a field tech at a Terex dealer (1984 I think?) we were allowed to use the company field trucks for personal use. My boss told me I could even repair other equipment on the side as long as it wasn't Terex equipment. Those days are LONNNGGGG gone.
The tools on my truck are certainly mine, and the company will replace stolen tools. So long as you locked it up using the gang locks. I have a slight rebellious side and I had to make a point that I don't need their truck. The rebel in me used to be a whole lot more loud and proud. Now that I am a little older and allowed for God to come into my life I can control that rebel.
The truck thing is a load of crap that I refused to participate in. The last service truck I had was mine to use for company business any way I saw fit. The last company truck I had was a small pickup that I negotiated the benefit of never paying a dime for. All other employees that drove company trucks had to pay $300 a month for the use of the truck and only use it for company business. As far as I know, I was the only person that got that done. Then again I was driving all over Washington state leaving as early as three in the morning and getting home many times after eleven at night. The field mechanics had the worst of it with the Cat dealer. They had to pay the money, which was entirely stupid, and the customers were also charge per mile to come to their sites. Mechanics were not paid for driving from their home to pickup the trucks in the branches. I think the dealer is charging $4.50 per mile for the truck plus mechanic time for driving it. Those trucks are a license to steal and they treat their mechanics like they are stealing from the company.
That's a situation of {sure we'll hire you but it's going to cost you}. Employers count on the employees ignorance.
I will consider myself lucky because I don't pay for my service truck. I have heard of things like that but never seen it. I have never paid to drive someone's truck and I won't start. If they pulled that crap on me I would pull my tools out and tell them where they can pick up their truck.
Back before they invented plastic .....old man!
I can remember when per diem was paid from petty cash and no taxes were taken from it!
My mechanic help is in his upper 50's. He's told me he just wants to work two more years and ease out. This spring he went to just 4 days a week, and I've hired a young guy who is around 20. The young guy has been to a small engine/ motorcycle trade school. Of course there aren't many jobs for motorcycle mechanics. I'm looking at sending him to my local community college, which has a heavy diesel course. I think I can get him in one class per semester at night. 6-9pm, two nights a week. He would have it completed in two years (I think) if taken at night. He could do it in a year M-thursday during the day, but he really needs to work, so I think the nights would be better. I think the night classes and maybe some online courses may give him a little help with the learning curve. He's a good kid and a hard worker. So I'm thinking I would pay for the schooling, he'd have to drive himself back and forth to class (about 45 minutes each way). Does that sound fair? Or should I be helping with the fuel too? I'm not making him take the courses, I just think it would be good for him. As far as the tools, all the tools at my shop are the business tools. No one has their own tool box, I provide everything. No tool sharing arguments. I provide a company truck for one operator. I don't see how a company could charge the employee for driving the company truck.
Can I come and work for you. Sounds like a sweet gig.
Supplementing him a tad for Higher GPA during his schooling might stir him to excel. Can see adding some gas money that way or covering for a extra snack meal to support his growth, even paying for books or reference materials is a big plus. Add some welding instruction time with that, always a plus.
What I will NOT understand is the requirement for a Tech Instructor to have a degree, can see that for some flunky just out of trade school but old timers that have skill as well the ability to present the materials as a knowing tradesman should not require such nonsense. Was told I had the skills level but could NOT WOULD Not be able to be certified as a instructor and could not be hired for one without some form of degree by local Trade school AND the local HS, asked of what types degree they already had she would not say but the neighbor that did work there said ANY degree regardless if applies to the subjects at hand or even teaching is a qualifier, which I find ridiculously stupid.
The apprenticeship program here use to require that. All courses done after shift two nights a week. The union subsidized the cost of the school. Students paid their own books and materials. Getting there and back was up to the student. If you do a program, take steps to ensure your guy stays working for you. The problem with individuals is they can walk away with the education and leave you with no return on your investment.
There's a crane outfit near me that plays some games with that. They "certifiy" their operators, but with their own course and their own teacher. The operator's certification then is only good if they are working for that crane company. I've always certified my guys through the national NCCCO program, which gets them a card that they can take anywhere. I haven't had anyone that I paid to get certified, leave to go work for someone else. I know of a couple outfits that have that problem, they certify a operator and as soon as they are certified they hit the road for greener pastures. I look at it this way - I try to treat the guys the way I want to be treated, and if they really want to go somewhere else, I wish them the best. Its just business. I pay a good wage for my area, and try to provide a good working environment. I'm not going to make him sign a contract that if I pay for the schooling, he has to work for me for "X" number of years or pay it back. That always kind of reminds me of indentured servitude that they used to do when getting a boat trip to the new world. Employer buys the boat trip and you work for him for 7 years. I ain't doing that. I did work with some tree trimmers a while back that were crying the blues. Their employer makes them sign a contract that if they damage a house or vehicles/ fence etc. while taking down a tree, they are personally responsible. They all had a short paycheck for the last month because the employer was holding out $$ to pay for a siding and gutter repair on a house that got hit with a limb. I don't think that is legal, unless they are not actually not employees, but the 1099 "independent contractors" nonsense. I didn't get that far into the conversation, because they weren't happy about it anyways, and its not my business. But I thought it was a pretty $hitty deal for the employer to do. I take the risks for the profits as the owner, so I get the bad/losses too- I don't get to just pawn that off on to the employee. If my name is on the trucks, I'm responsible for what happens. Its not all roses, and we don't have all snap on tools either. We make do sometimes with a big hammer and a pipe wrench.
Nothing wrong with a fits them all and BFH. Even as contractor if they do not sign that Acceptance it is not legal where that 'Coerced for Work' acceptance may hold water like a screen door in court. They shoved that stuff in front of me at the Mississippi lime quarries, when Fruin Colnon(Weber) took them over they noted I had not ever signed one, told them not going to. They did not push it either.
I worked for company that had a noncompete agreement. I never signed it. I worked there 3 years and when I turned in my notice that I was moving on to greener pastures. The manager was disappointed that I was leaving and then came at me with the noncompete agreement. He asked where I was going and that I remembered that I signed that agreement. I told him where I was going since it wasn't the same type of business. And then I told him to look at my file and see if he can hold me to that agreement. I actually read the things that are put in front of me to sign. And if I don't like it I don't sign it. Hardly anyone checks to see if all the t's are crossed and that the i's are dotted. I will take full advantage of the fact that we are bombarded with a ton of paperwork and no one really takes the time to make sure it's done correctly.
In most courts a non compete agreement doesn't mean much, you can't be deprived of your trade and lively hood. Good for you crane op for helping the young guy out. Hopefully he uses it wisely.
You talking about those tree service guys makes me think of a usual practice in a completely different industry here. My brother called me in a panic one day, he was driving one of my tractor-trailers and filled up with fuel, went in the store paid for his coffee and snacks and left. He just knew he was about to be chased down and arrested. It was a large corporate owned store we all frequented about 50 miles from the shop, and I knew the manager. I called and said I'd be by to pay later, and she was fine with it. When I got there, there was a very pretty girl about 20 at the register. When I said I wanted to pay for that fuel, she jumped up on the counter and gave me one of the best kisses of my life! She said she wouldn't have gotten a paycheck for the next two weeks if I hadn't showed up! I have since found out that was common practice at stores around here. I would have quit as soon as I found out about that policy.
One time where being a good guy really Really paid off. How did the Mrs feel about that?
As bad as this sounds, these days if you can drag your butt to work on time you're head and shoulders above most of today's workforce. Just sucks because most of the more experienced and older folks just assume you're a lazy idiot for being under 30. To me, on time is standing at your toolbox, ready to work 5 minutes before start time.
Nephew and I had this discussion just last night, he is a store manager for Harbor Freight outside St Louis, are going to open a store in Washington MO near to us some point in time in August and he is setting that store up now where will return to his when complete and running. They hired some 22 people including manager trainees, to which as the store materials began arriving the new hires found out that THEY assemble the shelving, and place the inventories, so far 18 including the manager trainee have quit. Did not expect to HAVE to work so hard, do not want to work rolling schedules, were not 'Aware' was going to be hands on work(ALL explained when hired on). Are still interviewing applicants where around a third of them cite the same issues, want to run a register as in stand out front and sell stuff, want no hard work.
I've always looked at work this way: I'm giving an employer MY time for an agreed upon dollar amount per hour for X number of hours a week. They're able to utilize me as they see fit (provided the task is not unsafe/unreasonable). If they want to pay me mechanic wages to clean the breakroom or answer phones for an afternoon, that's the boss's choice. I'm on the clock and the paycheque is still the same at the end of the week.
Well, I told her I got kissed and she laughed. I may have forgotten to mention how pretty she was, and her kissing skill...
It’s really sad my whole house and farm flooded. (Lost everything ) I’ve been trying to pay people straight cash of about 200 a day for 8-10 hours and nobody even wants to help. it’s either to hot out or they are just to busy to make money Even the unemployed people. when I was younger I heard cash and jumped. Even now if I wasn’t trying to rebuild Everything I still jump for cash most of the time updated ***** the Work Was everything from pushing a broom draining water out of small engines pressure washer lawnmowers possibly working on a car a tractor a truck picking up stuff I was pretty open for any job the person with a skill and was willing to do. I’d let them do
What yer woman don’t know won’t hurt her.
Damn Rich, I hate to hear that. If we were closer, I'd just give you a few days.
Just move on out.
So mitch- tell us how you got to be such a good judge of kissing skill. Lots of practice? Or are you just guessing?
Thanks I believe That . I’m out in the middle of eastern Oregon . Mostly high desert can’t believe I flooded . I have a lot of older people that want to help but 70 plus They should be out fishing and boating not digging though mud. It’s really had to find good work ethic in the younger gens Their a few but hard to find.
Well, when every hair on your body stands up...
BigRich are you located near Pilot Rock?
That's just the fear of your wife
Nope, this was so sudden, I DID NOT think of her
I’m with in 30 mins of pilot rock
That flash flood down through that area along 395 was instant and major from what I've been told, sorry for your issues. I would come help you but I work 7 days a week already.
Yeah it was pretty interesting and really came through I’ve been told by officials it one of them once in 1000 years or once in 5000 year flood but it sucks to be the owner in that 5000 years. It’s all good I’m getting low on money so there’s gonna be a small break in repairs then I’ll start up again later on Very slow and steady . I might hit you up for some info when I try to buy some more equipment around here. I’ll be looking for a truck and trailer in the fall a D8 . Whatever I’ll need first of course this Will all be nice very used equipment
Did insurance cover anything? I know those greedy pricks screwed everyone during the northern Alberta floods.
they covered very little it’s amazing how much is not cover and it was all custom wood flooring Cabinets and other things definitely didn’t cover enough to replace it how it was on what they did cover. A Levi broke and the river went a new Direction it’s been about six months and no one’s even started working on it they are still arguing if they’re going to fix it and who might pay for it. But Insurance is not accounting for that or FEMA till possibly next spring when I flood again they say let’s just wait and see One Government agency suggested I build my own Levi and walked me around and show me what to do. But they left out how or where all the rock and dirt is coming from. And I’m barely keeping everything filled with diesel right now if I didn’t have 2kids and a baby I’d sell everything and get a big RV .
'Just here to help', no substantial valued determinations just thinking aloud with your wallet in sight, sad. I may end up a gypsy in a RV before too much longer as neighbors continue to encroach on the lines.
Not the first time I have heard about illegal as hell labor practices such as that. I had an ex GF that worked for Spinx and the stuff they did to her was insane. Also it’s common in restaurants to make the waitstaff pay for dine and dashers, which is insane.
It must not be illegal in the state we share, since most convenience stores do it. I guess it is considered dereliction of duty on the cashier's part, and she must pay for "her" mistake, or be fired. My wife is a Walmart cashier, and I know she has to pay for her mistakes, but only those that are genuinely hers. Counterfeits and stuff, she doesn't pay for.
I am sorry, the Clerks are NOT responsible for these and these companies DO have Insurance for losses, if they do not is their own fault and loss. One need only to catch them Double Dipping that fountain of funding and crucify them.
My daughter works for Sonic and if her drawer/ delivery change apron is off on count, it comes out of her end. So to speak if she starts her shift at $200, her drawer turn in has to equal that at the end of shift with her sold amount, or it comes out of her tips. If she messes up making change, sonic doesn't cover it. They had a manager that was stealing from all the waitresses about $10-$20 per night. That manager would "miscount" all of the wait staff drawers and steal cash out of each of their drawers. They fired that manager when they found out, but none of the waitresses got reimbursed. I think the main issue there is there is so much cash $$$, that if they don't make the employee's responsible for their drawer amounts, too much gets stolen. but when they are off by $2.10 you would think the store would just cover it. Its a crooked deal for the workers.
It is not like that here in Texas. Companies still will try, but they only get away with it if the employee isn't informed about their rights. In Texas the only thing that can come out of your check is taxes. Anything else requires your written permission.
I worked at a grocery store when young and they did not much care if your till was over or under by $20 or so. If you did worse you would get a stern frown once in a while, do it too often and I am sure they would not be happy but mistakes happen. Everyone's till total error was posted on the wall every day. Some of the more uptight ladies would come in half an hour early and break open all the rolled coin and count it out in case rolls were over or under (which they frequently are) and some would get downright upset if their error for the day was anything other than $0.00. They really wasted a lot of time counting coins.
Washington is a terminate at will, employees can be fired/let go at moments notice without explanation. But the employer still insists he gets a two week notice when a employee is leaving. Because of the terminate at will law it is extremely difficult to fight wrongful termination. With some employers it's damn near a need to tape any conversation. Pretty hard to even find a lawyer to represent you because most business owners will have every lawyer in town on a retainer.
Washington is what is called "Employment by Convenience." Having been in management a few times I can say that most are definitely afraid of legal entanglements. The big issues are women and minorities. All the companies I've worked for in the last 35 years required a three step process of verbal warning, write up with sanctions and write up with termination. Problems happen on terminations when you step out of that process. There are ways around all this and the most common is to lay someone off because there is no work that they are suited for. Doing that though puts you on the hook for scrutiny from the state employment security department. The easiest way is to just make the atmosphere for the scofflaw uncomfortable enough that they want to leave. The two week notice stuff is a bunch of crap. There is no law that requires it. I fired my last employer by taking two weeks vacation and giving notice on my first day of vacation. I've fired a couple of others by telling them to have my last paycheck ready at quitting time when I load up all my stuff. I negotiated a salary increase on one of them prior on a Thursday afternoon. I told I had a better offer at a dealer and to stay, I needed substantially more money. Told him I needed an answer by Friday afternoon to which he said he couldn't possibly get an answer that soon. It kind of aggravated me and I shot back at him that I couldn't possibly be there on Monday morning then as I had another job. He conceded by sending someone else to tell me on Friday at noon to keep my stuff there for work on Monday.
I knew you would elaborate on this John. And yes there is no law on two week notice. I've had 28 jobs quit 26 and fired from two, and I was looking for a job when i found those. But on the average most terminations happen without the three step drug addiction process. The employer doesn't want to lay anyone off under those conditions because their on the hook for unemployment compensation. So yeah they make it uncomfortable while walking right up to the fence without putting a leg over that could cause a legal issue. That's the Pacific Power way of doing things. And the two I was fired from was for telling the truth. I called both owners a egotistical sack of ****.
A true journeyman of the trade trained through the school of hard knocks.
All the times I got laid off the the longest notice I got was 4 hours
I was working plant startup when I was 20 we worked like 14 hours a day for 3 weeks at lunch the layoffs came it was the end of the major part of the job so the crew I was on was tearing out a flush loop and pump so at 730 that night after 15 hours they picked slipped our entire crew first time I ever experienced that funniest part was the Forman got his papers the next morning super didn't want to stay late to slip him that super was piece of work
Remembering one of our high school teachers sayings. If you cant dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with ******** . As i grow older i realize ******** is the only way some people get anywhere in life pisses me off people cant figure out the bullshitters or they dont really care , especially when your talking skilled trades , i take my learned skills very serious especially the ones i learned the hard way.
Still remember Frucon telling me I was not to be needed further, and the look on the foreman's face when I dropped the parts in my hands. He asked if I had any intentions of finishing the last Job, just looked at him and asked Why? Loaded tools and went home.
It seems half the time is finding people who get along halfway decent. Seem if a half way good fellow starts work some place some guys out cast them so bad they move on. Just my observation of the day.
I like that! I had an argument one time with a HR lackey about pay for the employees working for me. HR had the idea that employees would rather have warm fuzzys rather than being paid equal to the rest of the dealers in the area. I'm of the type who expects a job done properly in a decent time frame and pay that goes along with that. I'm not much for kudos and hugs when someone does the job they are supposed to do in the first place. Anyway I told the HR person that if they didn't think money made any difference, then they should announce that tomorrow instead of pay checks all the wrenches would get flower arrangements. Then we could see how many people would show up.
The difference is guy's like John C, D Miller, Nige, Funwithfuel, C Mark, DoyleX, Petepilot, KHansen and of coarse my smelly *** grew up in a whole different atmosphere when we started out in the field of mechanics. We and others like us didn't have this vast internet of how to advise, other than maybe a few other mechanics and paper manuals that was it. Wasn't any of this freebie advise or howto on that handy item or unhandy I phone. When I first started out I made mistakes and still do but through the years of hard knocks I've cut back somewhat on mistakes. But sometimes that's the best way to learn, you don't forget your mistakes but it always sounds better to talk about your hero stories and how you stepped up with a 3/8 wrench and tightened the nut that was letting world to spin out of control. But when I'm around someone who is 30 years younger than me acting like he knows it all, spends his time grunting and groaning then saying I can't get this apart can you help me. I get a little up tight because really what he wants is someone to finish it for him. People like that need to fine another field of work.
AT that Point I make Suggestions on what to try next, NO getting my old ass taking over someone else's job.
I must say being the young buck I am I've fixed alot of stuff with YouTube and Google. But truth be told if half the jobs started with a paper manual I may be lots of time and money ahead.
Maybe I already said this before but it is real hard to train an apprentice with all the new features confusing him. He needs to know what the base engine consists of, pistons, valves, injectors, heads, barrels and so on all run by a camshaft. But throw him in the real world where everything has turbo, aftercooler, EGR, crankcase filter, HPCR, variable valve gear, hoses and wires covering everything up, direct computer actuation, and the apprentice has a hard time distinguishing what is the base parts and what is add-on junk. There are hardly any basic machines or engines to learn on any more.
If paper Manuel's made half as much sense as the ones 30 years ago we could understand some things
This is where a good technical training program can make all the difference in the world. I had a Dealer sponsored five semester, two year program where we went for 8 week semesters and in between the semesters worked in the dealers for 8-10 weeks as apprentices The first class I took we tore down 3116 engines in a neat and orderly fashioned, examined and learned what each and every part was and what it did, reassembled according to the manual, set the fuel system and valves, and ran them. We were actually the first class to run them- previous classes of the program just tore them down and reassembled them. When we went to run these old training engines we ran onto plenty of issues that we got valuable experience troubleshooting. the rest of that class consisted of going over other engines ( we had several different examples mounted on stands) and the instructors showed us a bunch of different stuff on the engines. We had other classes on fuel systems and electronics to get the full engine experience.
Was that when you packed your tools on a mule? LOL
HA! As if you did not pack tools on a Mule!!
I find myself quite often spending more time on studying a schematic then the actual electronic repair on cats.. and if i dont have time at work to do so i go home log in and carry on study at home . But im not one to throw a part on to see if it works especially an ecm, last ecm i condemned i took it off took it to cat it was so fried they couldnt even get it to boot up.
It's a lot different these days. When I came up in this field the oldtimers wouldn't tell you ****. They would only step in if you were going to get hurt or hurt someone. I learned through hard knocks and when the oldtimers would see that I am willing to learn and do the work. They would give some advice but not much. I have no problem teaching someone or giving an answer. But when they act like they don't understand or can't do it and expect for me to take over. I will walk away.
There is no qualified Help.
Yeah, I was one of those LOL I do this now. So did I. Its baptism by fire! Since you survived that its your responsibility to throw some of the youngers guys in that fire. Its a right of passage as far as I'm concerned!
Actually those are called Knowledge Knots, after you repeatedly smuck your head on the same sharp object.
Im buried in shop work right now but id feel better about sticking pins in my eyes than going thru the hiring process right now.
We don't have much worry about anyone wanting to work in the company shop, as soon as I mention every weekend and two days off in the week-the face turns from a smile to a frown. {well I need to have weekends off} Then you don't want to work very bad-goodbye.
First job as Grunt Mechanic on Trucks, & day Schedule, 11 hour days. Worked first half of week(MTW 1/2Th) for a Month or actually four weeks, then swapped to Back half, (1/2Th, F S Su), One swap got six full and two half days Off, next roll work straight seven. Then came regular shop work and working on the side all manner of available hours, some days would be in the quarry at 2 am and see sunrise to be at work by 2pm and do it all over again for next four days, weekends just evaporated as did girl friends. At the Nuke we had 5 Section rolling schedule as first started, days evenings owls, weekends just became Other Days at work, also had OT on off days, could canvass Double shifts connected to off days they really sucked, then went to 6 Section 12 hour rolling schedule, most months did not know what day of the week it was just whether had to be at work or not, then OT snuck in the off days so really a mess as could canvass for either shift or a Plus 8 or a Plus 4 hours regardless the shift scheduled before or after the OT. Did not know what reality was for the rest of the world for most of my working time. Never gave any thought to ME time, had to make money.
I wish one of you guys that needed help were close by i need a different job. I am getting were i dont like the week ends after having one day off its hard to go back. The boss was mowing with his batwing behind the shop and sandblasted our vehicals with 2inch rock. Hopefully i get to take a couple of days next week then i may not be able to go back.
If you guys think finding dirt workers is hard, try finding rigging guys or logging equipment operators. It is damn near impossible.
Try and find a crane operator that will run conventional cranes and can clam or handle logs with the grapple. Im beginning to think theres not 10 of us left in the world.
All trades are suffering My last position as Plant Equipment Operator we had to be crane qualified to handle new fuel receipt $750,000.00 a stick x 92-96 assemblies New guys are not even being trained to run the cranes as hiring the fuel supplier to move the assemblies Nobody wanted to learn well enough to be comfortable doing it so the company accepted a contract from a outside service. Sad
years ago there Used to be an ad in the big newspaper here. It was from the loggers agency including a list of rigging guys ,operators mechanics and welders that were needed up the coast. At the end of the ad in bold type was BONEHEADS NEED NOT APPLY ! Love to see that ad today,at least they could do some basic prequalifications prior to hiring back then without hurting someones feelings . And there was a fair base of crew to choose from.
Shop joke-we have a out house in the yard for the drivers, when we see the boss headed towards it with a fishing pole we know he's going to snag a new driver from the pool.
We had the **** Whipper pre-treatment station, then lagoons at the plant, many times saw management driving around out by them to clear a bad day off.
I've been self employed my whole life since my first paper route when I was 11. Always found my own way. Hired lots of guys over the years, fired most. Reached a point when I decided to only hire my own boys. Makes a big difference when everyone on the crew truly cares about each other. Good times.
And----------Working in a business that is full of family is a disaster. Nepotism has always been one of my pet peeves. The wife, the daughter, the son in-law, the sons, and daughter in-law. Then there's grandpa and grandma. It's like a bad soap opera {As the Toilet Churns} everyday. I would always tell anybody to take a job in that environment especially if their not qualified and don't want to work because they won't last long anyway, one of them won't like something about the worker and he's canned.
I had my boys,cousin and daughters work for me. We had some serious fireworks along the way,but they all left as valuable employees to their future employers. years later it doesnt make me feel like such a pr#ck now that the smoke has cleared
I know some that can do it but none of my family could work with me. They all say I push too hard & I think they are all bag draggers.
Family business sucks at times at other times it's awesome me and dad can just about get in a fist fight but we dont do it on jobs or in front of crew no one needs that Family and work struggle because of expectations and not really anything else most times my dad expects me to be him in a sense when i deviate from that when there's problem That said we can back into the same whole and blow it out with a cohesion that cant be replaced with anyone else i have worked with because we know where the other is moving before they move
Worked for Hogan in STL for awhile, three boys, one daughter and Dear Old Dad running the place, two boys were playboys, daughter a witch and Dad just a A--hole but managed to keep a early 1900s start up trucking service within the family. The family is mostly out of it now, One son runs it all with hired help, multiple shops and offices, seems to be doing better than ever. The little indy garage I worked for was Parents(Both) daughter and son, Momma liked cooking worker hours to make more off the shop floor, 'Imaginative Book keeping' is what she phrased it as. Was hard to keep decent help and she seemed to not care as kept wage values Low to shop rate to customers. They have sold it off, daughter became a baby factory(Believe five so far) son moved on with his life and lost track of him, definitely NOT in the area. The old man passed from lung cancer that spread out in every direction just a few years ago, the old book cooker I have been told still lives at the old house pretty much a hermit, using up the last of their saved back retirement plan.
I am so burnt out every time i think i will take some time off something happens. I had a ciutch to put in then i was going to take some time off. That was 3 weeks ago the first week there was other small jobs that needed done. The next week anther break down first of the week i got it apart called around found one had it delivered most of the time good place to get stuff from. Went to put it in thursday it was wrong the guy that knows clutchs has the virus and other guys guessed at what would work. Drove to parts place to find i had a ciutch set that wasnt very popular so it will take a week to get. I call to see if its in to find out its lost in shipping.There is a lot of things wrong with my job but i keep thinking if i quit i could find something worse or end up looking for a long time.
In 1996 I moved to where I live now, and was working for a oil distributor re-building old under ground fuel tanks for air craft deicing fluid and skid tanks for above ground fuel storage. Did that for about a year. We needed a extra person to help out, so the manager goes looking a few days later he sends this young guy back to the shop--red flags flew. I asked him point blank can you fit through that 24" explosion proof man hole, he replied no I can't. Couldn't hire him because he was too big around. No point in getting him through confined spaces training.
There is one big problem with this thread-How many qualifications must one be qualified for? I love ads that say mechanic wanted-then it says welding skills a must plus a CDL. Business people want a chief cook and bottle washer for cheap. If they are paying lets say $25.00 an hour for the mechanic title they need to add another $10.00 for welder and $6.00 on top of that for the CDL. I think $41.00 per hour is fair.
At that price a guy is incentivized to perform a cdl seems to be worth much more than anyone is willing to admit I know of 4 operators that left jobs in the last 6 months because they were needed more in a dump truck than a machine and it was not what they wanted nor were they paid a premium for being an operator with cdl
IMO anyone making 41 wouldn't care what there doing for the most part because any of those qualifications pays the same in the end. It's just your not working for 25 only.
Nearly every shop I ever worked CDL or Commercial Class License was required, just NOT paid for. Was only as I went to work at the Utility Co that I found Prescription Safety Glasses, Steel Toe Boots, gloves and the like were Furnished, some at least monetarily like boots/glasses. The gloves Welders caps, hoods, 99% of any other safety gear kept In Stock and At Hand. The Utility even paid for my Driver License as a reimbursed fee. Utility would also pay to send anyone interested to qualifications training for welder or heavy machine operator.
My kid lost a ratchet I have had for thirty years
I've got two digs coming up for the same general, and they are looking like they will coincide. The general could care less, each job is an island, but I have to make it work. I have my friend the newly retired guy to bring in for a maximum of 50 hours a month, and possibly another retiree. I don't want to call the hall and get what they send me, I don't have time to babysit. Traditionally the operator ( me ) gets a ground guy who knows nothing, so I spend a lot of time out of seat teaching laser and how to work a ditch. It is not hard work if you do it smart with an operator who knows what's up. I am going to try something novel. I will ground for one operator and teach the know-nothing guy, and ramrod the job from the ground instead of the excavator seat. The old way is frustrating as all get out. I can work the two old hands for two days twice and get 50% of the big job done in 6 working days. Now to go sell it to the owner
Most of the time i work on the ground. At this time in life the seat is alot easier but i know what i want done and can lead much better with my feet on the ground. Id be eating nails for lunch some days if i was confined to the seat,even with radios.
Thats painful . Some tools are like old friends.
Copied word for word off book face seem fitting for here First, it was $600, now I’m hearing $2000. + unemployment figures that are way on up there. Here’s some Jeremy brass tacks for you- If $600.00 or $2,000 is truly going to change your life, call me. I will hire you on the spot. Guaranteed. I sprayed mud out of a skid steer today for 5 hours and would have happily paid someone else to do it. I can stack you up, with 40+ hrs a week of tasks I would love to get off my back. Week after week after week. Here’s the trick- we have to shower when we get home, not when we’re getting ready to leave- And that’s just not “sexy” I suppose. My plumber has had a “help wanted” sign flashing for every one of the 15 years I’ve known him. My deck & fence guys would hire 5-6 guys tomorrow. My electrician would hire 20 guys if he could find them. My roofer, my framer, concrete, hardwood floor, tile, actually hang on- I can simplify...... Every. Single. Professional I work with in the construction industry would hire you, train you, pay you (well), and honestly- Love on you a good bit and invite you into their families. I see it happen everyday. Problem is, it’s hard. We’re not nice, and we will absolutely, 110% make fun of you when you screw up. It’s how all of us knuckledraggers work. It’s been that way for generations, and it won’t stop with your candy ass either. Guess what? I’m about to blow your mind. You ready? None of them got a stimulus check. Hang on.....Wait for it!.....THEY. ALL. MAKE. TOO. MUCH. MONEY. So, quit the ****. You are not going to “Lose everything”, without this bill. It just gives you a few more weeks of that tit in your mouth. If the United States saw what the United States was doing in the United States, the United States would invade the United States to liberate the United States from the tyranny of the United States.
Absolutely correct... my attitude is I would rather get nothing from uncle sugar than see this porkfest pass, but godsdammit, pass it did. Gonna file that into my "Things Trump did I did not agree with" file. BTW, I need a welder, a machinist, general shop guy, painter, etc. Right now I am all of those things, and I'm a bit worn out. Luckily (??) my customers have cancelled or delayed all the build orders for the next several months, so maybe I'll just cold stack the shop and put my feet up.
Dillon (Project Whiteout) originally posted that & he is 100% correct.
Well I was going to do that but someone stole my hammock and blanket.
@lantraxco That's where I am at. I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder ( SAD) coupled with Rain Anxiety Disorder ( RAD) which is also closely coupled with Mud Despair Disease (MDD). I wake up listening to the rain and worrying about what it is going to do to my work day. One of those low-sleep nights I am going to make a hasty decision and just pack it in. Now I remember why I got all the crane certs!
I have my Dad's 2nd to last recliner doing duty as shop R&R center, REALLY bad idea, but with the chronic fatigue I was finding myself napping in the driver's seat of my truck. Finally gave in to it when it hits me.
One thing a person with a CDL should never do is fall asleep in a chair. Go lay down or find a hammock .
Thats a good point got to train
Many days laid sideways across the doghouse in the K100 grab twenty or thirty minutes to get another three or four hours rolling. Once in awhile actually laid out for an hour or two in the bunk. Back was and remains a mess where three to five hours is a good night sleep, did not push to where could not stay awake. When that hit stopped and grabbed a hard nap. Working power station rolling shifts this actually helped where could grab a daylight hour sacked out and be good for a night working.
All the old dogs I ever drove were day cabs, but sleeping in the air rocking chair was better than most of the "driver's lounges" back in those days! Luckily overnight trips were rare, as Dmiller sez a short catnap in the cab at a truck stop or rest area and bring it home.
I dont know if its every thing thats been going on or if its my job but i dread having to go to work today. I would be fine with out the money for sometime but i dont know if i could find anything better later on.
I suggest everyone that has a job better keep it for now. I have a feeling the economy is going to suck worse for awhile.
Hey Doug, do like Tiny did & drive a bus.. U KNOW they NEED drivers.. Just fill out an application & where it says “start date” put, “in about 6 months”.. lol
Herding Curtain Climbers NOT my idea of a good day.
Doug I completely understand. I feel the same way about it. For me it would be early retirement.
On average--Every 7 to 8 years there is a recession-the last 2008-It's way over due. So yeah-hang on to what you have good or bad.
The guy that handles our investments is looking forward to a Hard Recession. Resets the formula for my accounts.
yep. We are in for a bumpy ride. I’d say the 2000s crash would be a good barometer for what will happen soon. the interesting time will happen when the US economy finally fully collapses. Spending trillions that don’t exist is a sure path to our turn at the “wheelbarrow full of money to buy a loaf of bread” economic fun.
JMO-I think part of the problem is the average business model called Micro managing. That gets really old day after day and makes it hard to have a good outlook every morning. When bosses/management constantly change their minds the work force starts to loose the enthusiasm after a while, when new workers are hired they pickup on that real quick.
All this past summer i woke up every morning and dreaded the idea of leaving my house and going to work. When i would arrive at work i would sit in my car for 10 minutes and question my life choices. This winter i told my boss i the winter off he agreed and so far back next summer but who knows maybe ill be feeling great by then. Maybe i will go down the road and try somewhere else since around here if you have a truck license and can run machines you are in high demand.
Getting that way here too.
The way i am starting to see it is companies need you not the other way around like they want you to think. So if you hate where you work look for something else cause its out there. I have done snow since i turned 18 and i just turned 30. I have a 3 year old son and this week is the first time i got to take him tobogganing in the fresh snow. We had a blast.
I fired two guys this evening. If you don't have passion, respect your coworkers or the company then you are fired. We do not need you if you do not care about us.
Chop Chop Or in their job it was the ax.
And that is the beauty of it. No one is putting a gun to my head and making me work somewhere and no is making you keep me. More often then not it is for the better to move on and find something else and in your case someone else.
In this scene with sacks on their heads it's like the old song {Six little puffer billy's all in a row} Cogsworth Cogs-Jettson your fired.
Actually it was Spacely Sprockets wannit? LOL
Cogsworth was Spacely’s competition And yes I watched that as a kid
I guess i better keep my job till i get my pickup,house,speedboat and the wife boob job paid off.
You should never have that paid off, are you crazyyyyyyy!?
I had one payment to go when she ran off with the pool boy they took the boat think fully i was gone in the pickup
Send the bill to the poolboy
sos of states ?
I was chatting with my water well driller this afternoon, he's put ads out looking for help - not one response but this is a semi rural area. It's not easy work.
If it's easy it really isn't work- but according to Webster. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/work
lol with so many definitions how does one know what to do ?
I had some trucks on the road locally with drivers in them. When my mother retired she got bored, so she ran the office for me. She'd listen to the driver/babies whine a little while, then she always said the same thing, "If it was fun, we wouldn't call it work, AND WE WOULDN'T PAY YOU! Now go do it!"
I was definitely working to day then . I loaded 2 loads of tires around 400. That wasnt so bad 10years ago but now even a 1/2 pickup has tires bigger than my f600 that i hauled the tires in.
The company I work for is absolutely scraping the bottom of the barrel for drivers just like every other company. In the last year we have had at least 7 make it two days and quit. One quit the same day he started. Some leave the keys in the ignition and just walk away 100 miles from terminal. Food service company that parks in our yard three route drivers in three months. It's getting so tough the owner is on the edge of culling 15 tractors with high mileage buy five new and cut the number of trucks from 65 to 55.
I think I remember a while back your company planning for a downturn also, what is the status of that now? Two birds with one stone? Hearing some rumblings I do not like in my business here as well.
We have had drivers pick up a load 20 miles from the yard bring it back to the yard park the truck and just walkoff never even say a word and it’s an easy job I make 220 a day for 7 hrs of work with good benefits easiest driving job I’ve ever had
With everything that's going on in U.S. it's pretty hard for a business to know which way to jump. But the biggest problem in this business is the work force. At least at this point.
I feel like the whole country is holding it's breath, and no matter what happens moving forward, we're so divided and we've had SO many major stress points this year, it's just kinda like we all have disaster burnout. Waiting for Jesus, Satan, or aliens to show up, right? Hell I can't hang onto unqualified help, the last guy I had working part time has a real job with a local outfit, he welds on their logging fleet in shop and out in the field, fills in at their machine shop, especially driveline work, and if they're shorthanded in the body shop he helps out there. In his spare time he welds for me, and mounts birds. Good thing he's young!
We had a guy just like him but he kept looking for greener pastures.
Exactly... serial employment....
I dunno about everyone else but an old boss of mine always reckoned that the best place to be during a recession was in a paying job. In my career I've been lucky (maybe) and have been in a paying job every time there's been a recession.
Still get random mail as to Have I still got my Class A, we are desperate, a few emails on occasion but not answering them. In town local Concrete company is seriously dragging bottom where are three drivers short to make their daily schedule work. Plant Manager runs a few loads, are partners in the lumberyard so as can will take the delivery drivers to get work accomplished. They asked me once to apply, yard owner did not care to hire a Ameren Retiree, so will NOT call me, am glad so do not have to tell him 'NO'. Do not see this correcting or getting any better any time soon. Grain haulers here are not paying squat and get what they pay for, guys drive a short time find a better pay check and POOF out of there.
I have found that folks with Class A CDL are in great demand, but, companies only want full time employees. I think they should consider hiring retirees who only want to work a couple of days/week. The same situation occurs for those of us who are experienced equipment operators also. Owners want someone who will work 50 or 60 hours/week, and will not hire any retirees who only want to work a couple of days/week. I think they are missing out on a good workforce here. Sure, they might have to work on scheduling some, but they could get a highly experienced, mature worker who might actually get something done on the job, and who would likely stay for a whole job, if not for years. Jeff
Recession or not i am not going to be were i am at next winter. One of the drivers was bitching about me not working 2 shifts. I did bring some work home what a mess.
I have tried to hire 3 retired guys that wanted to operate in the last year and a half the 3rf one I will cut a little slack to he backed out a week before he started because of covid and his wife is immune suppressant so I get that The other 2 were decent operators one said our work was to demanding a pace at 3 days a week I said how about 2 he really only wanted to work 1 day a week it's not worth it for 1 day it causes me more headaches than solves the other wanted to work 2 or 3 weeks and then be gone for at least 2 weeks possibly 3 weeks at a time Guys I was willing to pay competitive and be workable but I am burned on retirees cause as much as I have always heard what a crap generation I am part of I was shocked no one wanted to work and the difference is they dont need to work they want to work out of boredom I get that at 65 your body wont let you do what it would at 50 even but once the novelty of work wore off witch was about 2 to 3 weeks they had nothing to keep them there and work became work On another note a family friend helped on the ethanol line for 3 months at 10 plus hours a day he is 74 and I have known him my whole life he was one heck of an operator until about 8 years ago when complications from agent orange gave him ceasurs now he has a hard time driving and sometimes walking but he was there because he knew I was counting on him and was pushing brooms moving barricades and any other menial task that needed done cause he was having fun with our crew witch his grandson was on so he had a reason to come in
Strange events during my current employ. Last fall another of this firms drivers was delivering a load of road rock to a customer, was on crushed stone county road with fairly steep shoulder to ditches and was approached by an oncoming car that would not yield center of road so he eased as far to right as he considered could where shoulder failed and truck rolled to its side. Insurance was going to pay for repairs IF repairable, then after two months came back stating "Driver was beyond an age where good judgement was capable, are declining to pay for damages", he was 78 and retired directly after the incident. That stated the insurer and others contacted to insure the company equipment all stated that the company risks losing insured value/compensation should ANY Driver or Operator be Over 71 years of age. Did NOT matter to them if these personnel could pass the tests and had clean records, would no longer cover the machines for aged drivers. Out of all the drivers and Operators only eight of 30 are Under 50, several (Close to a dozen)of us are Medicare eligible and nearly half have retired from somewhere else. Nobody under twenty five has applied to the company in two years, several 30 year olds applied but when were explained a drug test required never showed back up.
That's crazy. How can they deny the coverage? I hope your employer fights this and wins.
In this day and age, it's good to have a dash cam.
I dont agree with the insurer how could the make up a rule on the spot to get out of paying ? I got in a deal with a insurance cpmpany i got rear ended at a light they said i was backing up. I got a lawyer he was worthless i never got a dime for my totaled car. If i ever win the lottery i would find a lawyer and make them pay something.
I would sue the insurance company unless there is a specific clause on age in the policy.
The insurance company, depending on the state, is well within its authority to deny coverage to anyone. What they aren't allowed to do is deny a claim based on arbitrary facts. A call to an attorney that is well versed in claims would likely stir the pot enough to get some kind of settlement. The issue of age of drivers is a pretty sticky one. One of my uncles retired several years ago and after a bit of time he also got bored. He hired on to drive a truck during harvest time for a local farmer. They don't know what happened, but one day he didn't make it from the field back to the farm and they went out looking for him. They found the truck off the road and him still in the driver seat slumped over the steering wheel dead. I don't know about how the insurance handled that issue but do know that he probably shouldn't have been driving that truck. I'm pretty sure the insurance company would have thought so also.
How many people have ever had an insurance company pay out without a fight? My feeling at the moment is that insurance is for when you are forced to have it by some outside entity, and otherwise has to be counted totally worthless. I suppose standard auto and homeowners' insurance are the exception sometimes, since the damage to reputation would be too great if they never paid.
Might be just how the laws differ between Canada and the US, but I have never had an issue with insurance companies paying. Wife's young fella tried to put my Mustang in the river. The police held the car for 2 weeks, said they wanted to investigate. I knew the guy that owned the impound lot, he said the cops never went near it. Finally my insurance company got it released, and the adjuster wrote it off the same day. Got a cheque next day for way more than it was worth. My insurance rate stayed the same, but the young fella's went up to about $5000 for liability ins. A couple years later the passengers mother sued my insurance for mental anguish. My liability only went up to a million. I had to pay the extra $36000. I have since upped my liability to 5 million. My home insurance is about $1800.00 a year, and my auto for one vehicle is a little over $700.00 for full coverage. Now I do know instances where insurance companies have ordered people to replace their roof, because it was 25 years old, or risk being dropped. Depends on the companies too. My home owners crept up to $2400, which I thought was crazy. My broker changed companies and saved me over $1000. In Canada, insurance companies are regulated by the government, and have to apply for any major rate hikes. My old company, Aviva, had been the first to get the go ahead. She said it was only a matter of time before the rest get theirs. She also said that the policy I had with Aviva was a high end policy. My house burns, they put me in an appartment, and hand me the keys when my place is done. My new company probably won't be that easy.
I do not understand how they can either but a contacted attorney stated they can get away with this. They cannot deny coverage to damages to anyone else's property but can deny coverage to what was insured. Found out this last week that nearly every trucking company around Mid MO that I speak to drivers from is getting similar response letters, Cautioning as to drivers being TOO OLD to be behind the wheel as to Reflexes, Vision Quality, even Ability of Quick Decision making was noted to these employers. My own insurer stated Rental Agencies have for years Declined to accept persons over 71 years of age as renter as too much chance for damage, he is already passed there and could NOT get a rental car under his own name when last vacationed, his wife had to(Four years younger). My previous employer has now adopted a Mandatory Retirement policy of 68 years of age, will not even allow part time contractor duty of anyone beyond that. Employer's attorney said fight would cost a fortune and could not guarantee change of outcome. Then the other show dropped, had three potential employees sign applications at another trucking company, two waved off as soon as heard "Drug Testing Date Is X/XX" other one asked if could be postponed thirty days. All had shown a appropriate CDL license.
its called eliminate the old by not letting them work so they sit at home and die of boredom
How can you NOT know about the DOT drug testing standards? I can understand how a guy might want to do a little solo driving in his 70's, but the numbers don't lie. More wrecks per mile. Does it stop motor home drivers? Hell no and that has always been scary to me, these giant diesel pushers with guys at the wheel looking like they had 1 foot in. Oddly enough I have not seen many big motor home wrecks.
Been a Hectic week end, was sent back to the clay pit as they were calling near to daily. Boss is in a Total Bind for manpower to get it all done and is still drawing blank cards. W,T, F all started at 5am, not done until fifth load to mineral company. Tractor Trailer drivers were being rerouted to haul sand and aggregate to concrete providers where at times had to slough other duties getting trouble calls from those as well. This is the clay run beginning, load in the dark. Generally 5 Heavy buckets full is 20+ t, can vary from 19-22 depending on what size materials comes out of pile. At least LED Headlights on loader work well. Two buckets forward, Two to rear and one roughly over side board center brace. Was averaging 90t per day, yesterday finally had 'Help', the Other guy that drives dumper cannot load, Scared crapless of using 963, so I ended up loading him as well. A third fella running one of the short dump trailers also loaded out twice 25t twice, as my final load got dumped the loader operator at the mineral yard said nearly 90% of what we had hauled in was already in the rotary kiln.
Next up the news services are running stories on possible fuels delivery delay shortages, due to NOT enough drivers. Keep saying is due to COVID but timelines to shortfalls of manpower date well beyond that. Seems the Boomers and early GenXr's are retiring and no bodies to replace them, very much as my current employer sees.
I didnt realise how bad i wanted to take some time off till to day when a guy walked in looking for a job. I was very excited until i thought it over he said he just quit another shop. He was over weight wearing fancy clothes . I didnt like the way he talked about leaveing his last job. I am about a week from getting every thing done i promised i need some time off bad.
I now have a different perspective of the employment situation. My kid joins the construction industry tomorrow. Spending the first night alone in a hotel. A machine that even the crew contact doesn't know what it is awaiting. It's a big change in direction for an honor roll student who was going into college to be a PA a year ago. $50k/year College via zoom just didn't present more than liberal indoctrination.
sitting here half deaf and mostly broken down, he ought to reconsider. i have not seen crippled up PA's.
Two young kids just graduated Mo State tech at Linn Mo are working for Capital Quarries The one at Owensville shows promise(young Lady) the one at Hermann (young man) not so hot
Dad here don't hear worth a bit. "Ears and Eyes" have been taught for a long time on this farm. PA also don't get to be a PA without years of school, debt and things falling into place. Figured out pretty quick that the system has a high attrition rate. Lots of nurses and even EMT's who "almost" made it all the way. We're not sure if this is going to be more than a summer job. However when the EMT card isn't getting used for the summer job, and pay isn't the primary reason, I think the medical field lost some luster.
Been a while. She loves it. She has run sweepers, skid steer, but loves grounding asphalt mills. Looks like she has work into November and is working on Union membership. She will most likely hold off on her CDL until she gets old enough for a class A.
I knew it would take some time to find a non-dealer mechanic job, so I tried one place for 2 months but the "fleet manager" couldn't diag a dead battery and always blamed the mechanics for his screw ups so I left after his tantrum, not directed at me but his favorite whipping bot. Next place I tried out with was going ok but the owner was scared to fire the useless manager because the manager's dad would quit and he was the top operator/foreman. When the manager told me to weld the chain on a telehandler I gave my two weeks notice, owner freaked out and fired me. Called up the new shop that actually knows what they're doing and rolled my box a block up the street. Shop manager understands what we're dealing with and runs defense for us but expects us to get it done, (whatever it is that day). But the pay is fair and the extras are nice. One new hire mechanic is already whining about quitting to work at a properly run shop and he's mid 50's so unfortunately not just guys my age arent willing to work. Luckily there are a couple mechanics that got their chance at this place and want to stick around.
Doe tag availability ends October 1. Stopped into the town hall to get my Hunting license and the town clerk is the mom of a boy my daughter dated in highschool. Also wife of a guy I went to school, FFA mechanics competitions with. Her son was in school for heavy equipment operator/management. First year of COVID the campus powers left the mechanics/hands on part of the school to their own but the mask Nazis and mandatory vaccine people closed the hole in their control. Just to make sure compliance was complete monitors were hired. He's running silage harvest, his own hay business and doing some land clearing but Mom was leaning on me for how my daughter got her job. His father did the dairy thing for himself, then others, town highway and now mobile mechanic for a massive tree service. Anyone in Western NY who wants to take a look at this kid before he spends 15 years burning diesel for Cows and scrounging small jobs?
University is so bad right now. Paying a ridiculous price to sit in an overpriced dorm room and watch half-*** zoom lectures. I hear ya. Unless someone else is paying for it. But still, what a joke higher Ed has become. I’d sit it out a few years and see if it improves.
Improvement will be when it collapses under its own uselessness weight which is closing in. A great deal of what I consider Garbage Education BA Degree Designer Certificates for Housekeeping or Hospitality or even Advertising are already imploding. Would love to see the Legal Profession alma maters implode as have FAR TOO MANY Attorneys chasing ambulances or fees for setting in a office doing as little as reasonably achievable making the customer do the leg work.
Why do I think that the communists are behind the drug epidemic in order to destroy us from within?
Because that’s exactly what they are doing.
If you are going to smoke dope, why on earth would you do it in public or in the car? Or why would you go outside if you reeked of the stuff? As my old Industrial Arts teacher used to say, "Whaddaya stupid or something?"
well are you?
As someone who went to a liberal arts college, I do value learning about history, Shakespeare, writing, math and philosophy. But charging $80,000 a year makes it impossible to justify the cost. I think the answer is finding new ways to deliver education for far less money, and to teach marketable skills along with the liberal arts. Engineers who can't write, can't teach, and have no experience outside of the tech world are far less useful than someone with a broad education. Same with trades people. My ham friend who does solar engineering and maintenance can talk about welding, Plato, battery storage and politics, all in the same visit. And finally, although my dad pushed me to get an education, I find that the trade skills that he taught me, along with my own on-the-job efforts were extremely valuable. It shocks me that so many kids can't even turn a screwdriver.
Don't smoke, and don't use drugs. Unless you consider Chocolate Twizzlers to be drugs. They might well be. Scientists say that Oreos create the same dopamine high as smoking crack cocaine.
It scares the heck out of me that companies are turning huge, heavy trucks over to newbies who lack the 5 years of experience to really drive a truck safely. It makes me want to give all trucks a wide berth on the highway.
The American Bar Association has been infiltrated by woke lefties, who are now pushing law schools to implement illegal woke ideas into every law school in the nation. This should be a major concern to anyone who wishes to protect the American system.
So you're drunk? Bob
Drunk on diesel. And grease. Yeah. Grease.
I’m going to call B.S. on that statement. If Oreos created the same high as crack. Then Oreos would be flying off the shelves. Crackheads may not be the smartest people on earth. But even a crackhead would choose an Oreo over going to jail for possession of crack.
https://newsfeed.time.com/2013/10/16/oreos-may-be-as-addictive-as-cocaine/
I don’t doubt that someone has written a article about it at all. And I am not calling you out personally. But I stand by what I said. B.S.! If it stands against logic and reasoning then either a woman or a politician is behind it or it’s B.S. Without context you can make facts tell any story that you like.
I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about.
Wife calls them Cocaine when buys them, Full package lasts but hours!!! Then want more, Just Like Cocaine or Crack!!!
I don't recall anyone on the streets homeless and committing crimes to supply their Oreo habit.
You do not live with my wife either!! Her Oreo habit is ALL Consuming!
Are ya'll really arguing over Oreo's?
Coys pizza has cochise in it so we say it's great.
Ores?.........meh. DOUBLE STUFF OREOS!!????? OMG!!!!!
I dont know about the Oreos but the girl that helps me made a cherry cheesecake that made me almost sick and wanting more all at the same time. I learned to start off slow only eating a small slice at a time.
That's because Oreos are legal. If government made them illegal, people would commit crimes to get them.
Homemade cheesecake is divine.
I love Snowballs, Chocolate Twizzlers, Gummy Bears, and my local store brownies. And Rice Crispy treats.
By that logic, if cocaine and heroin were legal the addicts wouldn't commit crimes?
The point I am trying to make is that statement is misleading. It may be true that Oreos release the same dopamine levels as crack. But it certainly doesn’t get you high nor addicted. As someone who has smoked a few lefthanded cigarettes and seen people go through the throws of addiction. I called B.S. on that statement. Trust me if Oreos got you stoned there would be some in the pantry right now. The only reason I don’t smoke the whacky tabacky now is because it’s not worth loosing a job over or going to jail. If Oreos was truly as addictive as crack. Then people would be strung out on the stuff. Spending their kids college funds, blowing their mortgage payments, letting their business go, cars getting repossessed and so on. Those are just a few examples of someone addicted to a mind altering substance would do if they were strung out.
Supposed to say cocaine haga
Have you tried the ones with Pop Rocks in them??
Didn't even know about those!
I'll eat an entire thing of Oreo's while rolling between calls, it's like lunch but when you're too lazy for drive thru lol
And just about as healthy! Bob
Crack/Oreos aside (hydrox fan in mourning myself) the addiction/unhealthy lifestyle/"uneducated" reputation are all aspects that detract from recruiting quality help. My daughter has faced many people who are expecting her to be injured/assaulted/drugged~ pressured into drugs. Living out of a hotel isn't ideal for a healthy diet. Conversely lots of walking vs being locked to a cubicle computer has made staying fit easier. I do believe that she has altered her dating prospects to less educated, less wealthy due to leaving school and working construction.
The conservative figure is 20% of the total population is using or on some type of drug other than nicotine, which includes over the counter or any under the counter drugs and lets not forget alcohol.
The internet is likely the most addictive and productivity destroyer while simultaneously providing incredible opportunity for those that can use it wisely.
That is not new news-that was said at the internets inception. but the internet combined with drugs an alcohol-that is the biggest addiction.
Well if I've learned anything dating as a young person (I'm 24) the prospects are not good at all.
You find the good ones at church.......at least it used to be that way.
best place to stay out of.
Now thems the two funniest things I've heard all day Truck Shop I live by the idea of I can believe whatever I want no matter where I am at. In the end we all know right from wrong it's just a matter of doing it.
That's pretty profound from a 24 year old. lol
Just witnessed enough of those pray for you on Sundays and rail you the other 6 types
This guy is probably available https://www.facebook.com/reel/985883258770481/?s=ifu
Ron White skit on sitting in a bean bag chair eating Cheetos and may I add drinking whiskey naked comes to mind!!! As to 24 years old and profound, the only words from 24 yo.s here are profound if not profane. Seems cannot hold a conversation without the F Bomb or mass amounts of Screw or **** or anything else they can muster. Seem the majority have a penchant to be obnoxious while sucking gallons of some intoxicant, doing the JUUL and talking how much cash they can drag off parents to party. For college types what floors me is cannot "Sign" their name, or do math in their head, can barely dress themselves as is shown daily by the ?Styles? they cavort in where they have MAYBE five to ten years and parents as or older than myself will be cabbages in a money sucking nursing home or completely dead and buried, all the fun ends as bills arrive with NO Money no skills sets and no sense.
What I find is pretty funny was as walking out of our US P.O. the other day, had received a over size package from a Cuz, she sent a letter with it that I opened and was actually reading. One of the noted was with his Mommy, saw the Hand Written in Cursive letter asked "What kind of Code is that" of her, she sighed waved a little at me and they moved away. Know the family from Church, he is some Data Geek, college educated moron that cannot find a job but also will NOT leave parents house. Scary world out there.
Personally-I just set on the patio in the early morning hours drinking my coffee having a smoke in the quiet. Watching the world go by knowing there's nothing I can do about it. It's a mess that started years ago, and now too many people.
I'm with ya buddy.....
That looks like a real nice spot.
She ain't too shabby
Rest of my day is shot-take one to Fairwell Bend rehook drop in La Grande, should be home be 12:30 am. Hard to find good help.
that does not help with the wrench turning for sure.
'bout time ya did somethin' Hoss! I know exactly how you're feeling, evidently our tower didn't run yesterday because 2 guys didn't show up. That's not even the fact that pisses me off the most, it's the fact that nobody even notified me the ******* thing didn't log yesterday. Culls, absolute culls.
On a good (hopeful) note, my FNG is getting it done on his own on the Des Moines job. He'd like to have the mini instead of the 120, but that is what he has to work with. If I were digging that bony crap up there I'd want the biggest machine available!
Had a good day. Got to work with a young gent on a pretty troublesome excavator. Learned some from him and hopefully I had something useful for him.
Sure it did-got me out of the shop, got back at 12:38.
And today the boss comes out to the shop--depressed as depressed can get. 7 drivers sick, 7 trucks with no drivers at all, no drivers applying, the book keeper of 20 years retired and the new one can't take the reins completely, used all the reserve funds for inflated diesel price, so no money for new replacement equipment that's setting on a dealer lot, wishes I wouldn't retire and knows he made a real mistake building that new huge shop and going in bed with Penske for repairs, took out a operating loan. How's that for a pile of crap. I said maybe I have to think about it, but if I do it's going to cost you. And CUT the deadwood, any driver that can't bust 3,100 mileage a week is gone, and cull the equipment. What a day.
And I just got off the phone, I have a tow to Arrowhead.
sounds like a **** day so it didnt make into a pile
Dare say a lot of eyes are opening that had remained looking distantly and not closely at where the industries were headed. Was a CBS Sunday Morning news article the wife recorded on Nurses and general Med care personnel shortages, just the tip of a berg 10 thousand times bigger the Media does not want to report on as a combined issue. No industry or business is achieving employees of much value or numbers, at some point all us old fuds will be done and then where does this end up? Is not looking good. Side edit TS. Recent Previous employer last I spoke with noted I was one of a few that could get it done in decent time, better fuel economy, managed to find new clients and not knowing the areas where they were without a great deal of grief. Had noted I was a scary consideration at first yet proved far better than any expectation, get on or in any machine and operate it without damage or destruction, showed concern for keeping machines cleaned and less worry, did not require a great deal of coddling as 60% of the other drivers did and they with more recent seat time than myself.
Were you and I talking yesterday? Sounds all too familiar my friend.
Fact is DM-boomers refuse to look in the mirror. They helicoptered and bulldozed the obstacles out of the way for their kids. It's not political it's a cultural thing that took place. So some don't get their panties in a wad.
Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, weak men create hard times.
He was a good'n
On our news this morning, St Louis has a special Agency called SLATE (St Louis Agency on Training and Employment), have been holding a Jobs Fair since Monday for Truck Driver CDL Training and Jobs, on the City's Dime. They are willing to pay the training expense ($5-7000) to those that CAN Qualify, so far in Two Full Days, "just over 50" showed up where only five are taking Pre Testing that includes a initial DRUG Screen. The agency's lead media contact was disappointed at the turnout yet remains Confident that by Friday will have significant numbers and will continue the program thru September. Who are these people trying to fool? Themselves?
By Friday the 5 left won't be showing up.
I have no idea what people who do not work do for food, shelter, or clothes. By my estimate about 50 million non working Americans should be homeless (unhoused).
Federal programs or other theft
I'm enjoying the disaster, started a long time ago and it's come home to roost. Everywhere you go it's a common subject. And not one person has a good way/answer to solve it.
So True
At least during the 1930's the American people got some return for government assistance. The first thing is bring back the military draft to instill some get up on time discipline. What happened to you don't work you don't eat.
What do you think all those I R S agents are? A modern make work project. Instead of breaking rocks it's to break potential enemies of the system.
Those stories of getting something in the thirties are not the ones I heard from my dad or grandfather. Lots of tales of digging paths in the forest using thirty men to do the job of three or four. Plenty of soup kitchens to provide some kind of food for those who had no way to earn any money at all. Lots of Hoovervilles all over the country. No heath insurance, no social security, no social safety nets at all. We in our sixties have witnessed what was coming, spoken out about it and were ignored. Now the media is saying this is all new?
New to them and the Millennials!
Let em starve, freeze, die.....
The crash of 29 was a whole different ball game, caused by a perfect storm of unregulated lending and over production. People thought 2008 was bad-they have no idea what the Great Depression was like. The difference between the nanny life now and 1933 is 90% were in the same boat and everyone was starving. Many survived on nothing more than milk/water gravy and a piece of bread once a day. If you had a tomato to eat you were rich till it was gone. People working for 5 cents a day-that's the truth. Malnutrition, bad hygiene and dental care, dental care was non existent. Families were scrounging for any work that could be had to feed their children. Son's went to work at the age of 10 and less to help feed the rest. They sold anything and everything for food. Clothes-Most didn't have the luxury of socks and under ware. Sad part is there were manufactures of clothes that discarded ton's and tons of clothes in landfills because of over manufacturing before and after the crash. It's what made the Greatest Generation--great. They pulled together and brought themselves up from nothing, because they really couldn't get much lower they had bottomed out the way forward was up with a lot of hard work. They still had some pride. Pride and self esteem is a necessary ingredient in ones life, without it--one is aimless. My own saying {A mans success in life is not deemed by how many presidents are in his wallet or bank account but by the work he pridefully accomplished}.
Grandparents, their sibs, my parents uncles and aunts were those people. Family came first regardless what was going south, livestock was for food production, HUGE gardens abounded, ate what you had, bought very little other than staples as Salt, Pepper, Coffee when Chicory weed was out of season, Flour and Sugar.
My help dragged up a couple of days before my vacation, and the replacement guy I got was truly bottom of the barrel. He made it a week after I was gone, and then he really did it bad, he did not quit on Friday, so the rented an excavator and had it delivered to a job Monday and he called in at 5:30 AM and left them hanging. Hard to find help indeed.
I hired a Hispanic rigging crew and really thought I had hit a home run. They came to work one morning looked at the big tower and how far out we were going to be hanging and said they didn't like it up there and they left. Talk about **** me raw.
Don't like to hear that but it is all too common now days.
I can't like reading that post either. The woods are hard enough with a good crew.
the response you get when you bring up these concerns is that “on another Great Depression is impossible the government made sure of that!” Some days I wish I was a complete moron like these idiots so I wouldn’t feel the pain of hearing the outright stupidity that comes out of their mouths.
Nothing Human designed can "Stop" a depression, the lesson will be Hard Learned.
Current Game is afoot; School Bus, City supplied Trash Recovery, City Streets Departments are wising up to. The Ne'er-do-wells that Will hire on and pass enough testing to maintain a month or two of payroll slip the dogs and quit, attempting to receive UI or other Unemployment benefits, many are finding the Employing municipalities are DECLINING the UI if they even close to qualify to begin with. They repeat the game in other locales as cannot get rehired at recently quit position with the poor record, for now, so repeat the same circumstances and will run short of options.
National debt 30.7 trillion Personal debt owed 16.2 trillion nationally 50% have less that a $1,000 at hand in personal account. Ages 10 to 18 haven't read a book in the last 4 years. Ages 19 to 49 haven't read a book in the last 7 years. The U.S. ranks 24th in the 25 industrial nations when it comes to literacy.
Seems conspicuously bad, doesn't it.
Social media and smart phones have really had an negative impact on society.
It's nothing more than a pacemaker. take it away and people will suffocate.
Well, at least they will Wail a LOT!! Maybe stroke out!!
Today was a odd day for me, I stood and took a ass whipping from a driver. The story. On Sunday morning early I had one of our new W900's to service. The truck hadn't been in for a month which is normal {every 10,000}. I noticed the left steer tire was worn on the shoulder, down to secondary rubber. I just happen to have a mounted runout, same tire brand that I took off one of the other new Kenworth's that matched perfectly with the right side plus the wheel was in nice condition which I went out of the way and polished before installing. Two weeks before the boss paid for a wheel polishing outfit to come polish the whole truck so that driver could take it to a truck show, $1,400 it cost. The truck was leaving Monday morning and the cost to have the tire moved on to the polished wheel and spun balanced would have cost 50 for dismount/mount and a 200 call out fee plus 25 to balance. I told the boss what I done and the reason behind it. Boss said he was ok with that, but I also told him to prepare for a blow up with the driver. He is not going to like what I did. Well the driver never left Monday he left this noon {he was sick}. When he showed up he blew a cork because he didn't have a polished wheel. Called me everything in the book and it was his wheel and his truck. Told me to f off and shut the f up, I hadn't even said anything. He flew over to the office screaming his butt off that I wasn't to touch his truck again. I don't know exactly what transpired in the office but a dispatcher told me it wasn't good. I just don't need the stress-I'm tired worn out sick of dealing with these people. Absolutely a rotten day. But I'm asking you folks-did I handle that right-by just taking his crap?
Hand him some wrenches and point to his truck.....
“Handle it right”.?? Just depends on if u like ur job or not.?? If u REALLY wanna know ur worth with the company, go put in a 2 weeks notice.. Some battles aren’t worth fighting.. I used to just laugh in their face and walk away.. it made ME feel better anyway..
The next time he comes to the shop needing your services you will be able to hold him accountable. When I was single I met quite a few attractive women that were obsessed with their appearance. They were shallow selfish and uncaring beings. Sounds like he is a similar creature.
yeah. you were aware that it was coming so that made it possible for you to do the bigger thing. That stuff just rolled off your shoulders. He's the one who has to live with him being an arse. Hat's off to you Mike. you did better than me and I mean that.
That statement made me chuckle.Two and a half years ago I put in my two week notice.
Can't see Truck Shop taking any BS off a truck driver and would be surprised that anyone would want to tangle with the person who fixes his brakes and makes sure the steering works properly. TS, are you leading us on?
If your point was to not rock the boat because you no he is a jackass and you knew he was going to be exactly that way then yea Now if you are to worn out to tell him to get his truck outa your shop because your just out of reasons to care and laid down for it then it might be time to move on or hang it I know 2 guys that straight up retired this year simply because when someone blew up at them they simply got there lunch box outa there machine and left because at there age they working just to work they didn't need the job and apparently the abuse either Point is if you think you handled it well own that and move on if its bugging you then pack up and move on we all know fleet drivers are a pain to work with
Time to let them know oil stains are hard to get out, fix their own ****. The Steering Wheel holders that rely on polished wheels to go faster or deliver goods better had better find a way to pay for that or do it themselves too. Can hardly wait to hear how Penske handles Prima Donnas as he, they don’t.
personally I think you would have been well within your rights to teach him some manners by laying him out in the floor for an involuntary nap but we live in a “civilized society” and such things are “unacceptable”. People have been raised now that screaming and throwing a fit like a toddler in a store is the way to get what you want and we can all see how well that’s going. and the boss should have fired him on the spot as well for behaving like an unhinged kindergartner. Someone like that in my mind can’t be trusted behind the wheel of a car much less a commercial truck.
Hardly, this isn't the first time with this guy. I thought in my years I had seen about everything. Even as strange as some drivers are I have never run into one who would consider a polished wheel more important than the safety of a steer tire. That absolutely threw me, especially on a truck that doesn't belong to him. It's not his money. I can't wrap my head around that one. As much as I can't stand him I still have to look out for his safety and others. How he can't see that is beyond me-It is the most un-rational thinking. It just shows how a VIR doesn't mean a thing. Probably the only reason I didn't clean his clock is I was shocked/ bewildered at the stupidity.
AMEN.. your last statement is the reason for my last statement.. “Laugh in their face and walk away”
I rounded up my tools and cleaned my box off. When I do that it's a signal to myself time is getting short.
And I filled out a application to a major construction company 4 blocks from my present job. Full time/part time-really only want to work 3 to 4 days a week. I don't want to jump just yet not till the first of November because I want my $4,500 in vacation pay. I know the owner of the construction company so I have a good chance. He runs 4 end dumps with pups and 3 side dumps.
My latest take on this is no one can find help due to not wanting to make there employment better then the next guys down the street. I was offered a job at the same money and I would lose a company ride. I told them this and seem very much not concerned. I'm not the best at much of anything but I'll try the best I can to make it happen. Whatever I feel better now tying it our for the masses
It's always nice to have an ace in the hole at the come to Jesus party. It ceases to amaze me that an operator / driver is allowed to treat anyone like that and the management hasn't seen to fit to come out and apologize to you about their's and their employee's behavior. I've read enough of your posts to understand that you pour maximum effort in keeping the trucks on the road and the drivers safe. I'm thinking that the shortage of replacement drivers is the only reason the prima donna still has a job.
Your correct John. The drivers are playing this driver shortage for all it's worth. The last year has been a tough one. He rarely reprimands a driver. Three weeks ago I had a driver pull a similar stunt, not a damn word about it. My health really isn't that good, knees, hips and wrists are tired, I'm too old to be putting up with this crap pretty much like Tiny. Like Eastwood said-a man's got to know his limitations. I'm going to retire anyway so may as well throw in the towel and not look back.
Well boss, you probably know how I woulda handled it. And I'd be unemployed because of it.
That guy isn't worth the hide on your hand. Steve made the same statement you did.
There's your new gig! You & Steve can "project" together!
At last employer had a couple herders that could not be corrected, bad fuel economy, worse driving habits, a couple small wrecks that were excused as they would get it done regardless weather or otherwise extremes. Fast coming to a close as insurance, billable expenses and fuel costs mounting. Sucking up to the boss is less impacting where one threatened to leave, was shown the door. No reason for Prima Donnas, they really have no place in the work force. My retirement employer decided to move back to hiring strictly from ex Navy Nuke forces or closing nuke facilities, has worked out nearly as well as the above issue. Prima Donna, owed the positions personnel are really bad. Seems the last iterations cannot pass training exams and expected a pass as ex-Navy, when did not get it threatened legal actions and escorted off site. The ex nuke plant workers seem to understand the requirements better but again owed the positions so can retire in a few short years as been nuke workers so long. Problem is they complete the qualifications schedules become shovel leaners expecting a easy free ride to retirement or instant gratification promotions to seat shiner jobs they can hide out within. Really sad times in the available work forces.
People have not been hungry in a while like the choice between the mortgage or grocerys society could use a little hard times so people learn how to respect a job
Gotta get the United States of EBT to stop rewarding bad behavior first.....
A choker setter didn't show up Wednesday another one did not show up today and I have had a processor operator out all week on medical as he is just deteriorating. I'm not sure about every other industry but I could guess that they're all in the same boat.
We had a great team working last year and this year. Very few are still there and the boss complains all the time about how no one wants to work anymore and everyone is lazy because after 6:30am to 5:00pm everyone wants to go home. Interesting how everyone who quit had the same reason can you guess what it was? The boss. I know this is not the case everywhere but i find it funny how my boss does not understand that you can not always go yelling and blowing your top over a small accident if you want to keep employees around.
Where i use to work i had the best boss i could ever ask for. I had to leave because i could not deal with the other idiots he had to keep around due to lack of workers. Its rough ride been a employer these days.
There's never been a better time to be an employee or a worse time to be an employer.
How many of the non union shops are offering union wage? Looks like thats the trend in our area
Only issue is bene’s, most companies will flaunt same wallet money as a Union yet draw a fine line as to expensing much for benefits. Twin plant to one I worked is in RTW state, have Union and Non working side by side so had to placate the Non Union with same benefit levels as Union, gain is negligible except during a strike when No can enter at a different gate than one allowed for pickets. Some animosity among employees but not too rough. Only difference is Non Union employees have nothing for protections as to release or fired or departments contracted out as opposed to Union members, also no grievance except thru State offices that hang tough with the employer. Worked both sides of aisle, Teamsters, Machinists and Aerospace, Operating Engineers, Electrical Workers. Been Non and got screwed on multiple occasion with no potential to fight it. Unions losing strength as newbies come in and more willing to give stuff away to save wage levels and raises even as the financial burdens shift into those dollars away from Benefits pages.
I worked union for united airlines.got screwed by union 2 times. Way to many lazy people there. Place I work for treats me great and have Been growing for the last 19 years I have worked for them. Probably not as good of Benifits as I I went back to united but are very close. Plus unions want you to vote left. From what I have read in this forum I feel very lucky to have the job I have.
Where I work the joke is it's almost impossible to get fired, there's no accountability to preform to your pay level or do your job. We've had a maintenance planner who knows this and has done a **** poor job. You give him part numbers and he doesn't order parts. He scheduled 4 jobs last hitch we didn't have parts to complete just to fill up the schedule to meet some corporate compliance thing. Work orders written to the wrong piece of equipment or parts ordered against a completely wrong work order are the norm. I was pointing out the struggles we were facing to his boss (my boss's boss) hoping maybe they'd get on him about actually doing his job. It seemed like management could care less and wasn't going to do anything about it. The next day my boss's boss tracked me down and dragged me to the principal's office. I figured I was getting an ass chewing, turns out the planner quit and they want me to take his job. The catch it's a pay cut, you work more days a year working 4 on 3 off compared to my current 14 on 14 off, and you have to spend 4 hours a day on buses and a boat commuting (I currently live in the mine camp and do the commute once a month). I'm going to apply though the odds of an offer worth accepting aren't good. The pay and commute hasn't attracted someone worth a darn previously. I guess they think I have sucker written on my forehead and know I'm fed up enough with the previous guys job that I'd do a decent job. So far it's not real enticing to hang up my tools.
4 hour commute every day certainly doesn't sound like a career advancement.
And Seasick when you arrive.
Never have understood a company offering less income for more stress, more hours at salary, to those on the floor they consider good consideration to run a shop. Seems the lay of the land for most where I tried it once but did not stay. Need is incentivize to make palatable for the candidate or they get what pay for.
It's called the house of cubical rat disconnect. Everyday it just gets worse in every business across the country. Where I work it's garbage in garbage out, not my problem, no one told me that, first I knew about that, did you tell so and so are the common reply's. Everyone of them is a Schultz from Hogan's Hero's. {I know nothing}------ that's obvious. A follow up on reply I made in Spud's thread about one of our trucks he saw. I made a comment about the new hire driver being short a brick or two. I came to work one Saturday a couple of weeks ago to find this car parked in our yard and someone sleeping on the ground next to it at 5 am. The company put him up in a motel-he got kicked out for smoking in the room, cost the company a extra $250 because of that. He feel asleep during the interview, had to have a sleep test. He's made two trips in two weeks, he got back last Friday went downtown started hitting on a woman in a tavern and her boy friend hit him with a golf club. He has been hold up in truck 487 setting in the yard since the weekend with staples in his scalp, 487 is homeless shelter now. Turns out the HR person that interviewed him finally checked him out, as it turns out he is as I thought----------- short a brick or two--an ex cage fighter. Obviously he wasn't very good at it. The company is in the process of terminating him--in the process mind you. You can't make this **** up. What in the hell is the world coming to
HR is truly a haven for useless office people.
It doesn't make sense to me. I work in a pretty decent paying industry for the hourly guys. Management likes to use the you have to pay your dues and it's a gateway into management sales pitch. They won't throw out a number without an offer letter though it could be a $40-60k a year pay cut. I like the work, love the lifestyle it affords me.
My last gig was 28-on/28-off. I used to call it part-time work for full time money........
Yep, it's only November, there's an "inside route" to work when seas pick up though it can still be a paint shaker and involves slipping and sliding down a beach to get on the crew boat. I think you were in the mining industry as well. The schedule is a big perk of the job in my book. They want me to give up the 14/14 for a 4 on/ 3 off
That weather sounds a bit like what we had here yesterday. Apparently at one point the wind speed was only a couple of knots short of being classified as a hurricane. Either way it was Beaufort 11 which is more than enough thank you very much. HeavyEquipmentForums
I need to fine one of these jobs like that so I have days in a row for the side (more funner) work.
I've been banker's hours the last 2.5 years. I'm actually enjoying it, had enough of that 12-14 hour day BS.
I'm about ready to kick my feet up and settle in to a county dump truck position for the rest of my career. These kids that think they're gonna get somewhere can have this loggin'
I work 7.5 hours two days a week now that I's semi retired. It will fill in until I qualify for my Canada and old age security pensions. Its a pretty good deal but some how I was talked into doing a head gasket on a Maxxfarce 10. I prefer the smaller jobs that get done in a day or two.
In for the bump. End of the year and I'm running the numbers at NorthernTankService LLC. Turns out. I'm Employee of the F'kn Year! Can you even believe that? I was only sober for 1/2 of 2022. Late everyday, except for lunch break. I'm getting assigned my own parking spot for Pickup 87. Yeah. No joke.
Sounds like my winter. I worked last Wednesday, made 3 trips with the dump truck and called it 8. Nothing since then. I stopped by to fill in a time card today.
I am Still getting pinged for job requests, even the shop I just left said were awaiting my return first of year, thinking gonna bow out. Wife still pushing I need go back to work where I am ignoring her. Finally getting used to my own schedule and my own priorities not having to punch a time card or record miles.
I'm not even an employee in my own company? I do have a reserved parking space though. In some ways it has been nice to not have to be somewhere in nasty weather with the truck in four wheel drive to get there and mud half way up on my rubber boots.
Had argument with a twit, whined about cost at dealer for repairs that were not warranty covered, six year old machine. Explained should be doing such work himself(30 something year old), said no mechanical aptitude where I returned with 'well then just accept the cost'. He went on to explain USED to get work on older car done at local garage, they closed, said owner was not that old and inferred was HIS fault he had to turn to dealer by retiring. Let him have five minutes as to what Age means and how with age the ability to use hands or back wanes where likely HAD to retire for health. Got that damned Deer in Headlights Blink, Blink. People have no clue is a Mechanic Shortage, they see the shops closing, never put two and two equals four together. Dealers here have a average three week wait list to get in for diagnostics, only jobs that change that priority are emergency vehicles and city services required repairs. HDT and Eq garages are even more disadvantaged, Fabick Cat schedules around when can pull road techs in due to adverse weather to work off shop back logs, Freightliner and Pete can only deal day to day around opened service bays, KW works against warranty backlog to get general customers in which averages around one to two weeks. Most shops here have one mechanic working three to four bays with jobs tied up for days on parts.
A job tied up for days waiting for part isn't bad. We have trucks here some times for weeks waiting for parts.
In some ways? IN SOME WAYS?!!!
Saw You all's ice storm footage, would NOT have been fun on Seattle area Roads!!!
Only lasted a little over a day. What was on the tube was about the end of the storm with the ice partially melting and water on top. Somehow the news media picks up on the idiots and lunatics. We went to Portland, Oregon on Saturday morning with no troubles. Portland had a couple of inches of snow still on the roads and the thaw was hitting hard. Lots of standing water on the roads when we left on Monday afternoon.
Had to chuckle at this. I have extensive experience in trucking, am a good mechanic, and a fair operator desperate to get more seat time on job sites. I have been struggling for the past 5 years to find anyone interested in hiring me on to do anything but drive trucks. I have had 4 seperate companies promised me the world, but 6 months later it's all "Wow, you're really good at trucking. It's impossible for us to find good drivers, so we really need you to drive the truck full time." ...then they're shocked when I hand in my resignation after 18-24 months of stringing me along. For every company that wants a multi-tasking employee, there's 99 that will actively work to restrict your contribution.
I actually found one, she was doing Uber and door dash. Had a class b CDL and applied. I hired her to be a truck driver. A week in I offered her a chance to sit on an excavator. Been the best choice I've ever made. She is willing to work any hours she can get, and has turned into a pretty good operator, was fantastic at truck driving when she came. I found the one unicorn I was looking for.
Is she hot
Since this thread is 3 years old did it take 3 years to find her?
I'd say more then 3 years. I was looking long before the thread. But an operator and truck drive are hard to find. And this one earned the title sandwich maker too
I know where you are coming from. You would not believe how many toads I had to kiss before one turned into a princess!
I just came across a methanol tote with your sticker. Never heard if the place before so I tried looking it up. Address is just an empty lot.
It’s not empty, I’ve got rabbits and chickens and ducks running all over, a few broken cars, up on blocks. A refrigerator collection and I’m building a tire fence around the place just like the outpost in the Mel Gibson Road Warrior movie.
I didn't know I needed this, but now that I have read of it, I need it. Fortunately, I have amassed all the required resources already. Just need build time.
When I hang the keys up they may as well sell the iron. They do not have enough work to keep a guy busy, and finding somebody who will turn wrench and CDL-A and operator and competent person, confined spaces, plus stay busy around there to fill out a weeks (months, years) work doing none of the above is not going to happen. They can hire the digs done by the GC's dirt guy. It won't be pretty but that is the alternative.
Have been said multi-capable CDL holder. Mixed time operating, wrenching, driving and did somewhat reasonably in all. Will admit was a waste at Excavator but had little time in one but managed dozer loader and TLB over forty years. Working at so many odd locations may have helped that along the way. Quarry was about the most educational along with utility company equipment. In between with concrete or asphalt suppliers, leasing companies or dealers, and at grain mill with their own transports then ag work spreading the wealth. Capable as to Jack of all trades master of none. Been a long road getting to retirement, glad I survived to get there.
Question----Were any of you folks ever paid a separate complete equal wage for all of your multi-tasking, such as 20 for cdl, 20 for mechanic, 25 for operator, 20 for welding. Just that little bit there comes to 85 an hour. Probably not, hired as mechanic at 25 bucks an hour and all the rest was freebie. Was it even offered?
I worked at a place were i was the welder and there was 3 guys fitting stuff in place. The first time i went to weld something they ran off . When i lifted my hood they had on welding hoods watching me . I ask them if they wanted to learn to weld they said yes. So every spare moment i showed them how to weld. They all learned and passed a welding test. I fill like i helped the workers and the company out. Looking back i should have got something for what i did.
For the bulk of my career I have been in the union, getting group 2 wages for the most of it. Most outfits did not break out lower wage hours and just paid group 2. These are the jobs covered by group 2: Batch Plant Operator: concrete -Barrier machine: (Zipper) -Bump cutter -Cranes: 20 tons through 44 tons with attachments -Overhead, bridge type Crane: 20 tons through 44 tons -Chipper -Concrete pump: truck mount with boom attachment up to 42M -Crusher -Deck engineer/deck winches (power) -Grade Engineer: using blue prints, cut sheets, etc. -Finishing Machine: Bidwell and Gamaco & similar equipment -Guardrail punch -Hard tail end dump: articulating off-road equipment under 45 yards -Horizontal/directional drill operator -Loaders: Overhead under 6 yards -Loaders: Plant feed -Locomotives: all -Material Transfer Device -Piledriver: (other than crane mount) -Roto-mill, roto-grinder -Shovel, excavator, backhoe, tractor: 15 to 30 metric tons -Subgrader trimmer -Scraper: self propelled under 45 yards -Truck Crane Oiler/Driver: 100 tons and over -Truck mount portable conveyor -Yo Yo pay dozer -Quick Tower: no cab, under 100 feet in height based to boom -Vac Truck (Vactor Guzzler, Hydro Excavator) I had to remind them when I was in a bigger excavator or loader that it was group 1 work. They tried to pay me group 3 on the boom truck and I drug out the agreement for them. I only negotiated higher wages a few times, over scale.
There must be a YouTube video showing someone doing all of those tasks at once?
I bet one of them Pakistani fellers can drive a dump truck down the road and weld at the same time.
Sounds like he's worth $40/hr then!
I was expecting a shop. Never heard of it and I'm pretty familiar with shops in the area, why I looked it up. I picked up a diesel pump for my bulk tank by a shop near the hospital. Was off a Facebook ad. Pull in and it had all sorts of NES stuff there. Tanker trucks, bulk tanks, etc. Never did figure out how they are tied with NES. Was thinking maybe that was the name of the outfit.
It's called milking the cow, alot for not much spent. I worked a job building/refitting old fuel tanks when I came to town--hired for one specific job-job title. Then one of the employees saw my tool boxes helping me move some stuff on a weekend, he told the bosses what I actually did for a living. {So your a diesel truck mechanic}? yeah that's what I was doing. {Well we've constantly got repairs on our fuel transports, do you think you can take a look at some of those}? Yeah I suppose so, for another $25 bucks an hour on top of what I'm doing for you now!-----Crickets.
Last place I worked that wanted "50 years" experience on everything plus CDL and security clearance for a SIDA bitched too about "no one wants to work" (not truly 50, but expected everyone to be a master on grader, dozer, excavator, backhoe, special unique equipment, dump truck, lowboy, etc. They paid $23.60/hr, so a whole $45k a year. After taxes and union dues, around $33k. And if you decided to buy health insurance, then a whole 27k take home... or pretty much covering a mortgage and bills, and that's about it. Where get on a Davis Bacon project and it paid over 2x that, plus generally 84+ hr weeks, so good $$ in overtime. The mechanics were paid the same too, plus had to supply heir own tools. Doing a job that pays ~40/hr at most places and expecting they'll attract top tier folks.
I’m strictly mobile. I do your totes at the Anchorage Warehouse. All my clients have shops, and much of my work is off the road system. However, big changes are in the works for 26. We’ll be opening a facility to grow the tote side of the biz. Couple locations in mind. Either along the Parks Hwy, or near the Port. Probably, the Parks.
The place I work part time for as a mechanic pays top dollar and supplies everything. I supply a pair of prescription safety glasses and a pair of steel toe boots. Its the best equipped shop I have ever worked in.
Working nuke everything was job specific unless an emergency. I was fuel handling qualified so bridge crane certified to 250t turbine hall and 220t/5t fuel building and 5t fuel handling bridge. Nobs came in no mechanics to run crane I got chosen as trusted my hands. When asked to wrench as I had been a Mechanic said not qualified and walked away.
Every company wants the world in employees but pays them beans.
Ray Charles said---You don't give a bag of beans for me!
Looking back can remember several previous employers trying to tack on duties after hired, common inference was ‘you have already been a foreman you can sub for vacations btw no raise, that or Oh, you can weld and operate machines like mills, we need you to assist the others in learning to do that, ask for raise to do that and bull up like stole their prize Collector car. C&M Svc div Hogan Leasing, B&P Motor Parts div of Midwestern Dist., Mississippi Lime Quarries, Gelco Lease Corp.
Which reminds of when I was at the Ag company. As usual they got the bright idea of turning the shop into a {profit center}, two nauseating words. The thought of being able to take care of there own equipment at reduced cost just wasn't enough. Which in many cases never works well for the fact it will one day boil down to who comes first. Customer or company stuff, which is it? Which is part of the reason for starting the shop in first place. While wages stay the same, burning the candle at both ends. When I cut off the customer work at the last employer, it was a happy day, no more golf course back scratching work generated by Saturday morning outings at the course. All the while wanting to be done on weekends because they want their stuff running Mon/Fri too. Nothing worse than back scratching.
Made a fatal error at 22 years age, was working fireman at a Feld Garage, VP of that Sub Division asked if I could assist in getting another division garage functional as to repairs, would become a Full Foreman/ semi superintendent, What it really was intended as was Investigator for restructure or closure. Sent me to CA then UT and finally OK where the shops were detrimental to company efficiency($$$) and eventually closed or sold to competitor. My work completed, I was discarded like an old pair of jeans at 24.
Games.
All of this negative talk about adding jobs to the original job, and today I am interviewing my replacement and describing exactly this kind of environment to him. It is what I did to make a 40 hour job in good conscience out of 16~24 hours of work. Back in the day when we had 50 journeyman plumbers and 30 helpers, two of us ran hard for our 40 just operating. Those days are long gone IMO.
We have ALL had our runs of it.
I have no complaints, it made the job fun for me. They didn't push other stuff on, I went looking for it myself.
Did similar early on, felt a need to be more useful. In long run educated me as to what not to get involved in.
Worst absolute worst was accepting a Working foreman gig at a independent garage. Was just a mechanic but they wanted a second shift, day foreman started it where knew I would and did self direct, soon after start he found could not do second with his family so I was asked to, at a 25 hr guarantee as to pay. Sounded good until a few weeks into months when the bosses accountant(wife) and her improvised magic number book keeping practices as I made 25 hours chargeable, my guarantee evaporated, at first started by decreasing as made good hours then as made the guarantee had to make the rest on my own. Complained which fell to deaf ears, kept eyes and apps open years were lean yet soon left back to Independent work. Called a few months later offered 45 hours, HOWEVER that would again decrease as made hours, said not going there soon wound up at Utility.
Has nothing to do with being useful or negative. { was I hired to work retail or privately}. {I applied to work fleet--I didn't to work with customers}. And if that's what todays flavor is they could damn well pay me for it too.
I didn't need more, I worked 6.5 days a week as for my last twenty years. With the possibility of service calls after hours {mainly refer} and running a company tow truck {which was my idea} I had plenty to do. And as would have it before I finished typing the phone rings, {Can you?
Fully understand
Just saw a Cummins Brochure release, will be no engines offered as of Next year models for Manual transmissions. Sad day as I can see.
Read my last entry in Antique & Vintage, added before I read this.
Had read it!
Not many these days have a CDL without the A restriction, pretty sad. Maybe best as I return to retired so will not live that.
Will always enjoy some Crashbox Time for myself.
Industry wide for sure. Obviously the cultural shift of blue collar focus thats been happening will take time. Just hoping the push to get people into trade work shows results sooner than later...
Wife had to go for a Organ Ultrasound today so I went along, sat in waiting room as she endured her two hour inspection, then we went for lunch with Sis in law. Sitting in waiting room a young man was on his IPAD, frantically typing to someone Not Feeling it for him then he glanced at me. Turned red, and asked *** was I looking at? So curious asked what was his issue with whomever pissed him off. He groaned, as to Inflation killing he and his GF, cannot afford their apartment and her getting pregnant, she was in back for a Baby Ultrasound. Whining continued for fifteen minutes and nurse at desk kept shaking her head(Mid Thirties ethnic Am Woman. He then noted his $14.75/hr and his GFs $12,59/hr was not cutting it, cannot afford much of nothing. Then lit into me, as to High Dollar Carpenter Jeans, HD Hat so knew I had a Bike, and likely had tons of money. So I bothered to ask what he did for a living, he then noted at 18 started with Home Depot as a Stockboy, STILL a Stockboy and just turned 20, only getting 40 hrs a week. Asked if had any other skills, said had tried College was not for him just had a few months and money dried up as parents saw really bad grades. Looked him dead on and not blinking, noted was just retired AGAIN, for the third time, body all busted up but had been breaking my own ass for 12-14 hour DAYS driving Truck, retired First Time from a Power Station but that was the end of another LONGER Road. Let him know full well most weeks never saw less than 12-16 hr days, worked TWO or more jobs until hit a wall. Changed professions, dropped from a Full Mechanic Journeyman get any and every job I could press into schedule to JANITOR IE Porter at a Power Station. Owned a Semi, Lost that as to a bad partner, lost my ass more than once in bad repairs or customers playing games with my hours and efforts. Retired REALLY Tired from a Nuke station where income was pretty well fixed. He blinked twice, knew what was coming next, Oh A Boomer, had EVERYTHING handed to you, and Cut that off at the knees, full history, Drop Out, GED, Mil Time that flopped, Trade School on MY OWN DIME, mostly USED cars, no fringes, no play game days, more than had to survive where he had NOT a CLUE the narrow slick climb I had made out of Nothing. He shut up and listened more intently. Told him he had a Choice, Fish or Cut Bait and was cutting bait at the back of the boat. No Trophy Mount, no extras just sit ina bucket of pity and claim no one will help. HE was his ONLY Help, get off his ass, find a better job or pick up a SECOND and start learning something of value. in a trade. Find what works and DO IT, No Try, Try does NOT Exist, just DO. Looked at that Ipad, asked How much? Asked what kind of Car/Cars they had, how old, could he fix them or pay others to. Then realized his GF was alongside me, she looked at him, stated that was exactly what her dad told her. that they needed to look at what and why were spending and where, then figire out what needed to be cut then start doing something to earn more. He shook his head, then noted his own Dad said same thing, he just did not listen so well until a Old Man sat on his Ego and taught him there was more he needed to do. Hope it works out for them, he was talking as they left as to looking at putting in more apps., Ditch that IPAD for a cheaper phone, maybe try walking to work when weather allowed, and they left.
That was kind of you to listen to him and then offer some solutions. That may have been a huge impact. If not immediately, then later.
Alot of different tunes, but usually the same lyrics. There is Chicago Blues & Delta Blues but always the same.
Unless you have generational wealth or choose a white collar job in finance or something similar The end is always the same..... You work far more than 40 hours a week, your body is used up about 20 years before you can retire and you're not going to have a lifestyle like those that you see on the internet falsely portraying their lifestyle
Play it George. *
And from the company's prospective, we pay the world, and get beans in return from employees. Not every employee is worth what they think they are. I have met a few guys are worth 30+ per hour. But most guys are wanting 40-50 that have a $15/hr work ethic.
Good on ya @DMiller - I just hope he listened.
There is no words of wisdom for the helpless and hungry, they either figure it out by themselves through hard knocks or they continue down the rocky road. People either want to help themselves or they don't, all the talk in the world won't correct their coarse unless they want to. Life is about personal choices and self respect.
Not making excuses for his whining. We all know sitting around complaining isn't going to fix anything but the economy is garbage and has been garbage for years. Every decade of my life the grey heads at Wall St and DC have caused an "unprecedented" financial crisis with their greed and the shareholders just keep cheering them on.
One thing to notice in the grocery store, the shelf with beef broth/bouillon is much thinner these days with the price of beef. Roast and steaks are only for looking at.
Being able to buy local on the hoof and pay for process makes beef controllable. Veges from local gardens when can get makes a HUGE difference during the summer. Can considerable for use later.
Yeah but that takes effort and forward planning. Two things that the majority of today's society are dead against. They want instant gratification and convenience. How many times have you heard "what sounds good?" For dinner? Their emotion and feelings control everything. That body is no different than a machine, it needs good fuel, good maintenance and regular use to stay in good shape. Today society could give two ***** about any of that as long as it's satisfies there "feelings" of the moment.
D Miller That kid needed to hear from someone, other than family, that it's time to man-up. I'm surrounded by kids who think entry-level jobs are careers. So much so that our minimum wage is among the highest in the country. Local legislature can't/ won't educate the kids, so it continues to lower the bar and reward the imbeciles. I'm not looking to get banned, but we all know that political policies of the past have landed squarely on that young man's shoulders. Housing and labor shortages are, imho, engineered by those who seek attaboys and political points with the social justice crowd. I'm happy to read that it sounds like some of your words may have gotten through to him. Reality, urgency and family is the most powerful b!tchslap you can get, and sometimes, even then, we're too stupid to recognize it. Glad you were there to "tighten him up"
Young people can't deal with reality anymore. Could you imagine if this generation was around when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour
The talking heads would have us believe this.
Thank God for the United States armed forces, every branch.
Equals having a budget during good times or bad with a little bird constantly reminding do I really need that. But that goes for the well off also because again bad personal decisions bottom or top rung can lead to stress. * At the price of cars, just to keep wheels under ones a-- is the second major expense besides a roof. Then insurance of all types, food, clothes, shoes. The couple that just moved in a rental house across the street came from Portland. The house they live in was built in 1951 at a cost of $6,500, and the reason I know that is I worked with the guy who bought it new at the Ag company I worked at. I moved here in 96, that house across the street rented for $400 in 96. It's $1,600 now and same basic house with very little improvement. So in four months @ $1,600 it would pay for original building costs. But that couple was paying $2,500 in Beaverton for a single bdr appt. I have no answers for young people/jobs/housing, I thought things were high years ago too, I'm just glad I'm the age I am now, It's a tough row to hoe.
I get that life is hard, Unfortunately, every new generation thinks it’s harder than the past one. This may have some truth to it. We can all churn out stories about how hard life was but my concern is, the new youth of today has no problems being stoned half their waking hours. There are some good workers coming but i am worried about all these young kids, with no skill or drive, other than to be the best score on a video game and to wait for their parents to die, so they can have their own house. I hustled my ass off for 35 years and worked for and deserve everything I have got. Lost my ass, after getting divorced after 20 years and had to start all over again, for the most part. Still, within 2 years of the divorce, was back living in a house I bought and seeing the market, bought another house for 89k and renovated at night, working 16 hour days. Now my 33 year old son, who is lazy, unskilled and still coddled by his mother, wants me to give him my rental property. LMFAO His biggest memory, is my ex, flying him to Texas for some weed and an AC DC concert and burning 10k doing it. Good luck in life! Work hard, try and stay in one piece.
Its just sacrifice and very few are willing to make the appropriate short-term sacrifice for the long-term gain. 2021-2025 sure did inflate things beyond any reasonable means and I do feel for those starting at the bottom these past years but thats where they are and the sacrifice required to get ahead tomorrow is not the same sacrifice the guy before them made yesterday. Ive had to hire only a few unkown employees over the years and during interviews anyone 40 and under the general attitude is 40hrs per week and 8hr shifts doing the bare minimum should pay and provide benefits enough to live an upper-class lifestyle.
Not sure I had a job or jobs, where I didn’t work at least 50 hours a week or a 4 on 3 off. That was a great way to make some serious side money, or go hunting a lot. lol
Anyone have a idea where wages and house/land value ever level? I suppose the rental across the street from me should be around $ 6,500 a month in 2056. It has to stop at some point.
At least here in the USA if you stay off the east or west coast and out of the major cities midland its very reasonable. Wife wants me to pull the plug and retire real soon so we can move off the East coast here and down to our rental property where $40,000 annual salary is middle class. Life isnt much if anything different down there except the cost is 1/3-1/2 of what it is here in the inflated North East.
No big families anymore. There is 5 in my family. Mom was home, my father worked. Mom's family had 11. Family near where mom grew up they had 23. When the mother died, it was just her children, grand children great and great grandchildren . And the church was full. People can't afford big families anymore cause both parents have to work.
I strongly believe that service should be mandatory after high school if you have no future plans for work or higher education. I work with a fella that was in the service after high school. He grew up with just him and his mother. Said service taught him basic life skills, gave him a sense of purpose and gave him a heavy equipment trade
To take that theory further I believe that higher education should only be considered as a permitted timeout in the education journey and the youngster in question be allowed to defer their service until they complete their education. Or do it before higher education, their choice.
My brother hosted a Korean student. He was obsessed with study. According to him, if you don’t go for a higher education doctor lawyer professor you have yo join the military . I think he became a dentist
Where do you consider $40k "middle class"??? Out here in rural ND, bum-*****-Egypt, forty grand per year is part-time. I don't think it's possible for anyone but a single, recluse teacher to live on $40k. You sure as hell aren't going to raise a kid on that.
Time will be the tell all. Been bouncing against a severe recession potentially a depression for years but the powers that be managed to slide thru those years. At some point the prayers, holy Mary passes and all the “Built In Safeties” will not hold the end result. That will present some different challenges.
The interest rate lever can only be applied so many times, on a crystal ball guess. AI bubble will have a effect. With houses overvalued and inflation a constant with no spending things begin to slide.
Sorry to hear you live in an expensive area and have not been out much to witness the cheaper areas. My rental is in the Western Carolina's where I have friends and visit frequently. I witness people living the same middle class life im living up here in CT ($90k) for less than half the price. My rental property is more square footage than my home up here with a few acres more in land for about a 1/4 the price. My property taxes last year in CT for less than I have in the Carolinas was 13k while the Carolina property is $1,600. Its the same through eastern TN and KY. 40k goes a long way when taxes dont take 1/2 of it.
I think everyone under estimates the youg guys these days most have grown up with out fathers or had a very weak one these boys are tougher than they think and most people think but they have been told they will not succeed so they have no hope I currently employ 8 guys under 23 its the basic life skills that separate them from succeeding once we teach them how to show up and you convince them you believe in them they get great milage All anyone wants to do is tell them in my day son it was this way and yea that's nessasary sometimes but mostly they need some on the job mentorship and to be made one of the guys there looking to fit in so they will buy in
I don't consider "here" an expensive place to live by any stretch of the imagination. Average home cost is probably in the neighborhood of $70k for a 1500 ft² ranch with attached single garage, taxes on said property are about $1500 per year. Utilities (water/sewer/heat) would be between $250 and $400 per month, depending on water use and what kind of heat. Now, there are some $25-40k older two stories or story and a half that could be had, but I don't really consider them viable. Groceries run about $700 per month for family of 5, you can do better by going to a big town, we spend about $1000 for family of 5 plus FIL once a day, but we eat pretty good. I'm not sure exactly what costs are somewhere that you guys consider "cheap", but I feel it's pretty cheap here compared to other places.
Pretty much what you described are the townships im familiar with in the areas ive been through. Those areas are south of you so the cold weather impacts that drive up cost are not present enough. Most people also have a very diversified garden or produce all one commodity and barter with the community to keep food costs very low. Also heat with wood which is plentiful and just requires labor or barter. The two families I visit that moved down there both are making it on the Husbands salary alone (40k) while the wife gardens and takes on other self-sufficient tasks. One family has one child and the other has three. Those are just my personal friends but the entire township is filled with families living alike lives very cheaply compared to where im at. Best paying jobs in the area are no more than 60k full time and most families have two fairly new vehicles, maybe a toy or two for the trails or water. If I wasn't vested with a full business and employees I would have moved down there decades ago when my friends moved.
While that sounds like a good idea, not sure that is what is best for our military or the kids that don't want it and don't make the best of it. I know guys that came out worse off then when they went in, I am not only speaking of combat,
When I sat on the Caterpillar DSTAB advisory committee. Dealer Service Training something Something,. We actually studied that subject in detail with qualitative and quantitative analysis. Looking at how well veterans adapt and perform in a Cat dealership environment. Long story short: 3-4 year vets could adapt to a fast paced, commercial, for profit environment and develop critical thinking skills. Long term government employees were so indoctrinated in bureaucracy policy & procedures, adapting was difficult and success was rare.
Having grown up with a dad that spent 1934 to 46 in the army/army air corp, by the time I was 14 I had had just about all of the military bulls--t I could handle. And ever since I have had nothing but disdain for authority of any kind. I'm not programable. * No one's going to pull a fiddle out and cause me to dance, well I might if it was a Stratocaster.
We had a conversation about that if i got drafted somehow id just tell them put me in the motor pool and send broke stuff and let me alone. If you want it easy on both of us (id probably be on the lpssimg end)
Most of its is pretty simple. You are either a worker or you’re not. Most of that comes from parenting skills, I think. My SS first quarters start at 14.
I saw that work in practice. We had a lot of ex-military in our service department and rebuilding components in the CRC. The former airforce & navy techs generally developed into excellent diagnosticians well capable of independent thought. I know some of them ended up in management. The ex-army guys in general ended up as the heavy lifters because of being able to take orders. This was in a country that had compulsory military service BTW.
I over simplified it. There are always exceptions and ways to manage it. Some branches are better suited for certain roles and departments. Anecdotally, the ** vets fitted in and found their roles rather seamlessly at the dealership I was at. We saw primarily GWOT vets and mostly army because that was the bulk of the guys separating. Plus, so many had disabilities that required accommodations. Which was sad.
When I got out of the Marines, (obviously a very structured environment with hard guys in my chain of command and the expectation of instant obedience to orders) I went to work for another hard dude that had the same mentality but never served. When I went out on my own I found that most people are not use to the structure and had a hard time finding employees that were. When I tell someone to do some I don't want to hear anything short of will do, yes sir or something along those lines, and I expect it to be done the way I showed/told you to do it, not the way someone else showed you as it is probably wrong, after that conversation a few times and then I turn my back and you go right back to doing it the way you have done it the past. They normally got sent home. Some wanted to get loud after being counciled and puff up like they wanted to fight. I don't have time/tolerance for that either. I am calmer now but it took a long time to figure out that some people are not receptive to that form of interaction. When I get around people that served I feel the most comfortable since I don't have to worry about feelings, it is pretty brutal they way we beat each other up emotionally Lol
Today was kind of wishing had gotten and given phone numbers or email. Likely better off he does not know but will remember me, and I he and his partner.
You could always leave your contact info with the receptionist to pass along, some people just need a mentor to get on the right path, or connection that will put them in touch with the right guy to help them on their journey. But you only lead the horse to water ,you can't make him drink
A good chunk of my crew are former service members, 4 Marines and 3 Army. They take orders too well sometimes. I get a yes sir and find out later they needed more clarification. Cant say anything bad about any of my guys though, they all get along enough with each other, can take a critique without personally getting offended, and can be counted on. I wont lie ive poached the majority of my crew from my competition to get the best guys and it was well worth it. 11 have been with me for over 20 years and the other 5 at the minimum 8 years.
Hard times hard men soft times soft men
I learned a lot from my father He wasn't a hunter, so im not into that. I've never fired or held a rifle . He wasn't a sports fan so I was never into that. He taught me to fix things and work hard. And I am into that. Buddy I went to school with. Never had a dad. To this day he doesn't drive. I guess I figure maybe the service could teach stuff that guys with no dad never learned
I don't know about anyone else but I already had a dad in 1956. Don't and didn't need another my entire life. Managed three separate shops, managed other people, I was hired to do a job. People I managed, I didn't give a crap how they got the work done as long as it was safe, correct and fit the time frame for said job. I had other things I needed to do and if I was spending my time running around constantly inspecting--then I had the wrong person in the shop. I didn't need someone overseeing my area and that went for owners too, if they feel the need to have everything done a specific way according to there liking with same results same time frame then they need to do it themselves. Owners who spend time bossing on the help don't deserve help. * 1983 I was unloading my tools at a shop, the floor manager strolled over and proceeded to tell me they didn't allow swearing of any kind. I then started reloading my half empty truck. He finally asked what I was doing, I replied--I didn't see a f--king steeple on top of the roof when I drove in. * I had 28 jobs in my life from washing dishes to major engine machine work, engine rebuilding and some metal fabrication work. Three of those jobs lasted a total of 30 years all together. I grew up on a dairy and that life is like no other especially back then, because most all didn't have the modern equipment of today. My last employment was 6.5 days a week plus towing and after hour calls in the dead of night in all weather. The people I worked for trusted me and stayed the h--l out of the way, it's what they hired me for and they got there money's worth and then some. I spent their money as if it was my own, I treated their equipment as if it were my own and I still do because I still do some work there. * Like Harleyhappy said--you either know how to work or you don't.
When I was in I met a Capt. That was in the army and he said I love you Marines, why is that sir, he said you guys just do what you are told, well sir isn't that how it is supposed to be?. Hey said, " if I tell a Marine take this bucket, go up on the roof and standby, I get a Aye,Sir and there off, I tell one of my soldiers the same, the response unless the are super green will be Why? What do you want me to do when I get up there? As a Marine when we get up there,we are thinking the same as the soldier vocalized but sure as $#!£ won't be saying it in front of the Capt.
I remember when I was ordered to take a half full 55 gallon drum of water and move it to the other side of the range. Sir yes Sir! Whole time I was rolling it, sloshing water all over me, thinking what the Hell was I moving a half full drum of water 150 yards for, silently to myself.
Ah--coaches, rah rah sis boom bah, team work, special teams, extra special teams. garbage.
See, you and I would survive the grenade tossed in to the fighting hole, the soldier I mentioned above not so much
Maybe not. I opted for Entry Level Separation, after spending a year in a phone booth, checking ID’s in Okinawa, when I was supposed to be an MP. Unfortunately, I opted in, when there was an influx of military personnel. My ADVASB was awesome and I went with cop work. Ah, to be young and dumb again. Still, I followed orders. To this day, when I work for someone, I will crawl over broken glass, if they tell me to.