Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

“Finesse” in a D11/D10

Shamrock ยท 2009-08-07 09:39

Howdy All, I am slowly attempting to teach myself the basics of becoming an Operator. I work at a Coal Mine and run various pieces of equipment including D10's an D11's (T's and R's). Due to the type of "Finesse" is not really stressed. I would like to improve an operator though and have been wondering about small windrow's and track marks. For example a common job is working a "Spoil" end dumping trucks and leveling out the pad. 1-2' windrows are common but in the scale of 310 ton payload trucks not dealt with. Is it too much to expect to be able to produce smooth pads with an 11? If not any old hands have tips for a green horn attempting to self-teach? I try and watch my blade control as well as break it into two operations (work the overall grade while the trucks are hauling and go back attempting to fine grade while they're on break). Also Track Marks. I try and ease into the steering clutch and make wider sweeping turns when moving across the pit. Any tips for keeping the track ruts to a minimum within the push? Much thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1Dozerboy2009-08-07 23:29

    Just to get ya started :drinkup

  2. #2alco2009-08-08 11:58

    Where do I start...... Well, I think you'll find that your finishing will improve as you get more time on the machine. Try taking a third of a blade full with each push into a pile. This does a couple of things for you, it loads the blade with an amount of material the machine can handle quite easily and makes for an easier push. Another thing is that the overlapping passes tend to finish your dump as you go. The big thing is not to be too concerned about the finish quite yet. It will come with time. You can certainly finish with an 11......to be honest, I find it easier to finish with an 11 than most other size machines. I also work in a mine. One thing I see new folks do on a regular basis...some old timers too. They run with their blade rolled all the way back so the corner bits don't dig in. It's a bad habit and a crutch to lean on in my opinion. You can put some pretty serious wear into the bottom of the blade if you aren't careful. Are you at the river? Brian

  3. #3alco2009-08-08 12:13

    Oh, if you're at the river, drag Tommy out of the office and get him to show you how it's done. Brian

  4. #4NL1CAT2009-08-09 13:30

    Think he's from the Elkvalley.

  5. #5alco2009-08-09 18:50

    He's definitely from the Elk Valley, I was just curious as to which of the 5 mines? Brian

  6. #6NL1CAT2009-08-10 05:57

    Sry Brian ,thought you meant Ahtabasca instead of Fording... :Banghead Better keep my mouth shut :drinkup

  7. #7alco2009-08-10 19:53

    Hahaha, no, no need to keep your mouth shut. Fording River is often referred to as the river, and I have a friend in the training department there. Brian