Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fire extinguisher and mount source for Caterpillar d6d bulldozer and other machines

Mountainmover ยท 2014-11-14 05:59

Does anyone know a good source for fire extinguisher and mounting system for heavy equipment? I need a good system for my Caterpillar d6d orops bulldozer. It needs to be weatherproof and uv resistant. What types? I don't wanna lose a machine due to fire....... Any times on where to mount it? Do I need to drill or weld on a bracket? Prices? Thanks.

Replies5
  1. #1Multiracer2014-11-14 07:43

    Keep it in your truck that you show up for work in. It will last longer and still be there when you need it.

  2. #2CM19952014-11-14 08:56

    Keep one in the truck and on every machine. It sucks to loose a machine due to a fire, it can happen quickly. Mountainmover, any industrial supply house should have what you need. Try Grainger if you have one close. Don't drill or weld on the ROPS. There is enough sheet metal around the cab of a D6D to find a place to mount one. I use HD self tapping screws to install the bracket.

  3. #3Deeretracks2014-11-14 13:14

    I use these. http://www.airgas.com/product/Safety-Products/Fire-Equipment/Fire-Extinguishers/p/K39368064 and these http://www.firepenny.com/Universal_Vehicle_Extinguisher_Bracket_p/am-800.htm?click=3447&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=shoppingengine I get them through the local company that services my extinguishers. All of our Foremen trucks have a 10lb ext mounted to them and all of our equipment has a 5lb mounted somewhere. I usually mount them somewhere inside the cab or a service door. Whenever we mount them somewhere outside on the equipment, the damn kids always blast them off on the weekends.

  4. #4td25c2014-11-14 23:19

    I welded a short piece of thin wall 6" pipe to the floor plate on the 16 B Fiat Allis to hold the fire extinguisher. Also keep a 5 Gallon bucket of water on the deck & short handle dirt shovel close if the extinguisher fails to work . Also stick a plastic cap in the end of the extinguisher hose to keep the mud daubers from plugging it .

  5. #5Mountainmover2014-11-15 04:06

    Thanks for the replies. I do keep one in the truck. Just random cheap ones. But, lots of times the truck is too far away from the area in the mountains I work in. Also, truck goes after fuel...or operator drives his own truck to job....there is no fire extinguisher. Also, gotta keep open mind that many operators don't care. The good ones care. The complaining operator that hates the boss's old machine....wants to run a new one. Or he may be jealous he doesn't own his own......you never know. Or he may be a good operator that got scared and ran for a phone to call 911...... I have a cheap fire extinguisher tucked in the cab or back compartment of excavators. But, the operator can visibility see where it is in emergency. That is a very good point about kids vandalizing......... Also a very good point about dirt daubers...... I'd like a good stainless mount........ Anybody got any good pictures of mount ideas? This thread I started might be handy for all of us..... I heard that some insurance policies require you to have a mounted extinguisher......so if you don't.....is that a loophole in covering you?