Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fire Fighting Water Wagon

griffiths51 · 2014-11-12 14:47

Has anyone ever been around a water wagon scraper for fighting fires? I saw this for sale and was curious what the advantages would be? Did they make these out of new scrapers or were they rebuilds? http://www.purplewave.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi?141112/H9027

Replies7
  1. #1245dlc2014-11-12 18:24

    Never saw one purposely built for firefighting especially at an airport I'm assuming the only advantage over a real crash truck might be the price. An articulated dump truck would be better having more ground clearance and two more wheels.

  2. #2mowingman2014-11-12 20:28

    Interesting unit. Looks like it was used at Dallas Love Field at some point in it's life. I have flown in and out of Love field for the past 30 years, and don't ever recall that tanker sitting around anywhere. I wonder how long it has been since it was in active service at Dallas?

  3. #3Scrub Puller2014-11-12 22:02

    Yair . . . the brochure says that thing is a 627 and has two 60 degree V8 engines. I assume they would D336's such as in the 621. I saw early 627s in PNG that were essentially a 621 with the V8 in the tractor but with a straight six (3306?) on the bowl, I have never heard of a 627 with the V8 at both ends. Could someone set me straight? Cheers.

  4. #4mitch5042014-11-12 22:12

    Just a guess, the second engine probably runs a pump, not the wheels.

  5. #5d9gdon2014-11-12 22:16

    I noticed the same thing last week when I saw it advertised. I don't ever remember the 627 having the V8 in the front or the back, but I ain't no expert. I thought they started off with D333's in both ends. I had one with double barrel 3306's and a J621 with the dreaded V8(blown up of course with the heads missing cause they were cracked) but I bought it for the tires and the tranny for the 627 as spares. Mitch, you can see in this picture that the rear engine is attached to the original transmission...

  6. #6lantraxco2014-11-12 22:19

    I'm guessing this was built long before large artics became popular..........

  7. #7CRAFT2014-11-13 13:09

    I was thinking that by the thick black coal it was pouring out under load …. that they were NA 3208's ???