I am finally on the hunt for my first dozer. I intend to push over several hundred Eastern Red Cedar trees, clear a mile of fence line and possibly build a pond or two. I have allergies and think having a cab would save me a lot of tissue money. I have been mainly focusing on Cat and Deere in the 70 to 100 hp range. When I come across one like this http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/387820?h=2-1,gotoPage I wonder if something with undercarriage so far gone indicates a general lack of overall care. Do you just walk away? Could you get a machine like this, have it restored and still come out ok?
I wouldn't consider a worn out undercarriage a sign of poor maintenance. They wear out and have to be replaced-there's nothing you can do about that. Looks like the previous owner sure wore this one down to the nubs.......
That's good to know. I doubt there are many that far gone. I hope to get one with a few hundred hours to go before major expenses.
wow, i've never seen a sprocket that wore down on a dozer before. All things considered you could have that machine running good with new sprockets and rails. Seems like everything ealse is in desent shape.
One side of the undercarriage looks better than the other, wear wise. It notes in the inspection report that it speeds up and down intermittently. That could have something to do with the UC wear if they let that go on for a while, especially when turning but who knows.:beatsme Overall that tractor is in good shape for 7K hours, but I can't believe that it brought $30K needing that much undercarriage work. I have a D5GXL that I bought new in '04, it has 4k hours on it and it's been a great tractor. In the last year I have had to replace the muffler and hyd hoses due to age and use but other than that it's a proven performer. The P&B's have been turned and the chains are on run-out. The pads will have to be replaced before the chains wear out but it's not a great expense even using Cat parts, IIRC it was $2800 for pads and bolts from Cat last time. Cab and air is the only way to go IMO. You will get more in resale value and get to enjoy it while you use it. It does come with added maintenance costs but it's worth it. The D5G's are good tractors and I would recommend one.
What he said :iagree. What part of the state are you in Okie? :waving
I'm just up the road near the other state university. I would love to find a decent unit locally. Know of any? Should I avoid LGP units? They seem to be more available.
If you're going to be using it on soft ground, then a LGP unit will be wonderful. Otherwise, I'd think twice about it. BTW, I have a LGP unit.
Don't know of any local machines , sorry. . We do have a HEF member in your neck of woods that has a mulcher or tree clipper. Don't remember which. For what you're gonna pay for a "well used " machine you could clip a lot of cedars. I realize that may not solve your fence line issues though. If you don't have the need to work soft ground ,i wouldnt get an LPG machine. Our red soil and sand rock is hell on LPG tracks. Especially in this drought. A used one is already a undercarriage job waiting to happen. :my2c
Yep, good ole Oklahoma red clay with some sand rock thrown in, but mostly clay. Nothing soft around here. I have three tractors I am wearing out. I need to sell a couple and get a dozer . I have two small ponds that need work, and have three more I want to build someday. The hunt is on!
Try I - 40 machinery near Cromwell.
Thanks! I'll give them a shout.