Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First dozer

CDR · 2026-07-05 18:43

After dreaming about having a ranch and a dozer since I was 10 years old, 1967, it all came full circle today. Had the ranch since 2002, got approval from the budget committee to get that dozer. A 2006 cat D4G with rippers with 3600 hours. Very well maintained. Bringing it home tomorrow. I like the idea of no more renting

Replies20
  1. #1AU.CASE2026-07-05 19:01

    Welcome to the forum and many here have the same pathway in your story. We'll be keen to read your story, especially if its coloured by some pictures !

  2. #2Metalman 552026-07-05 19:42

    That'll be exciting! I know the feeling! I 2nd the idea of the pics!!

  3. #3CM19952026-07-05 20:49

    Welcome to the Forums! Glad to have you. Got a chuckle out that one - my purchasing agent is a tightwad as well. I have to fill out forms in triplicate.. I bought a D5GXL in 2004 brand new. First dozer I ever purchased. Still have it today as a semi-retired machine we'll use to push the dump off or similar tasks. The G series are good machines however they do have some quirky electrical issues if the system is not running around 14.4 volts - everywhere on the machine. After going through all the fluids and filters, run through the batteries and alternator checking voltage. Low voltage can cause all sorts of issues on the tractor. You might think something is seriously wrong only to find out there is a battery or alternator going out.

  4. #4Nige2026-07-06 03:41

    Get an Operation and Maintenance Manual ASAP if it doesn’t come with one. If you are wrenching it yourself you ideally will need one. Post a machine Serial Number to help identify the appropriate manual. Last time I looked a genuine OEM one was just over $50 to download and you have it in 5 minutes or less.

  5. #5CDR2026-07-07 09:59
  6. #6CDR2026-07-07 10:00

    Got one coming. Thanks

  7. #7CDR2026-07-07 10:02

    Thanks for that

  8. #8CDR2026-07-07 10:05

    New cutting edges and end bits coming also.

  9. #9CM19952026-07-07 10:25

    Nice looking G! Congrats. Pads have a lot of life yet. Can't tell the rest of the UC. You will like having the ripper for nothing less - balance. Our D5G is a little nose heavy. If I had to do it all over again I would've bought one with rippers.

  10. #10BC Placer gold2026-07-07 11:21

    Looks good, I too am a fan of rippers. Definitely helps with balance. Looks like a nice tidy machine, good luck with it!

  11. #11Nige2026-07-07 11:31

    A genuine OEM one I hope. There are a lot of manuals being sold on the likes of eBay that are not worth the paper they are printed on. To add insult to injury they are often more expensive than a genuine one.

  12. #12CDR2026-07-07 21:25

    Genuine it is. Thanks.

  13. #13CDR2026-07-07 21:37

    New cutting edges and end bits will be here tomorrow. Found my first electrical gremlin. One of the hour meter wires was broke when I went to check it out. Not the red wire. When I got it home, I saw the broken wire was connected via but connector. With the engine running, the hour meter blinks like it should, but there is only zeros all the way across. Any ideas from my new friends?

  14. #14snowpl0w2026-07-08 11:42

    Congrats! Looks like a nice dozer, I recently purchased a D5G LGP and this forum has helped me out tremendously already. The ripper is a nice touch, I would like to add rear hydraulics to mine eventually to pull a disc/ fire plow since mine is retired to farm duty now.

  15. #15CatToy2026-07-08 12:05

    Congratulations, same as you, wanted one every since 1975 when I was 10, my grandfather put me on a old D6 in a logging field to get me out of his and the crews hair and away from the loaders and trucks... barely could operate the clutches and brakes much less the blade but boy it was fun. Finally got a low hour D4H LGP, I have put over 500 hours on it moving the same dirt back and forth but who cares...

  16. #16CDR2026-07-08 13:43

    Thats great

  17. #17CDR2026-07-08 13:54

    Its funny how the road of dreams finally turns reality. Been on just about everything in the equipment world at a young age. Spent 32 years in the fire service, running equipment on my days off for various companies, retired in 2020. Now I’ve got my own mountain. Good times

  18. #18chidog2026-07-09 16:02

    Its a just me thing, but I don't like the hystat stuff, too slow for me. Have fun with the new toy.

  19. #19D5Dan2026-07-10 17:38

    Don’t forget there are two to three parts books (well) worth having. One book for the tractor itself, one for the hydraulics, and I believe the third parts book is for blade(s).

  20. #20Nige2026-07-11 05:03

    Not for more modern tractors. It’s all in one book. If you decide to buy one online I would suggest only look at OEM ones. There are a lot of manuals for sale on places such as eBay in pdf form on a flash drive that are NOT OEM, despite appearing to be. If the tractor Serial Number is either RKGxxxxx or WGBxxxxx the Parts Manual is Cat Publication reference SEBP3827. If the S/N is FDHxxxxx then the Parts Manual is SEBP3363. I have a copy of the first one but not the second.