I plan to retire and use my 580sl for digging work. I need something to haul the backhoe around and I'm looking at this 1996 international dump truck 4900/DT466. It has 280K and was a county plow truck. I know nothing about trucks and first glance this seemed cheap at 6300 bucks. Ten tires, I found, if I need to replace them will be like 400 each. Anyway, Could anyone look at the pictures I have the link to below and give me their thoughts. Im pretty sure I will need a CDL but I'm worried about repairs and maybe rust issues..the box is pretty beat up. Rust isn't horrible..there are some close ups of the worst rust. https://picasaweb.google.com/114515498673801510276/Dumptruck?authuser=0&feat=directlink Thanks!!
yes you will need a cdl, class a if you plan to tow your backhoe with it. I don't see a trailer hitch or air to the rear on that truck which could cost 1,000 or more. recap drive tires can be had for closer to 250 each. the 8ll will help that truck go with only a dt466 unless you need the dump box space which is always great I would track down a dt466 havin 6 wheeler with a 5 and2 and save on the reg, brakes and tires. however if that truck was close to me it would be my next chip truck..lol
I agree with stumper, go with a single axle if a backhoe is the biggest load to haul. Cheaper to maintain, and lighter. You could go with hydraulic brakes and electric on the trailer. I've had tandem IH 466 trucks kind of gutless but I like a lot of power.
Personally, I think I'd pass on this one just for the rust alone, but that's just me. The salt attacks everything. Look at the frame, suspension, shock absorbers, brake components etc. None of those items on their own are particularly expensive individually, but when you have to go through and replace multiple components at the same time, it adds up. If you really think it MIGHT be worth it, have a mechanic (a truck mechanic, not a car mechanic and not just a friend who's good with a wrench) come out and look at it and give you an estimate for what it would cost to get that truck to pass inspection and get it set up the way that you want it. Add that number to the purchase price and then start looking at trucks in that price range and see if there isn't something out there that's a better deal. Also, in order to really see what condition the chassis and components are in, it needs an undercarriage wash.
My not be a a power house or beauty queen but you'll get you're money back at that price and have started out with the proper truck and more income potential , IMHO. It has a good tranny for crawling around and to me that's more important than highway speed. I'd buy it but that's me. So .. You'll have to make a few repairs , that's part of it.
Run as fast as you can away from that truck. That rust is horrendous! Even if you patch or repair the rust, it will keep coming through. I can just imagine every nut, bolt and fitting underneath being seized tight and new words being invented while you try to work on it.
I agree that you should have it inspected by a truck mechanic. There is quite a bit of rust and some strange tire wear that's hard to make out from the pictures. I do safety inspections here and some of the rust in the door and holes in the box would be questionable to pass. Also any repairs become a huge ordeal when theres that kind of rust.
Engine hours & rust on the rear, said above pass. The nice thing with a 10wheeler is you can add/build ramps & drive it up into the box.good luck
Being that it was a snow plow truck, that rust is in deep in every nook and cranny. It spent its whole life in salt. Wrenching on them with everything corroded is an art in itself. I know, I own one. Good drive train but the rust never ends on a snow plow truck. It takes me an hour to get the tailgate to release again every time it sets for a few weeks.
Stay away from a plow truck, propane truck or any truck that is used more in winter than summer.I would look for a single axe also but make sure it has air brakes, a tilt hood and make sure it has air brakes.
Thanks everyone for your input....I have always been inclined to not shy away from vehicles that need some repair...did that with my backhoe...found out fast the "some repair" can add up to thousands in heavy equipment like this. I'm still on the fence on this truck...at 6K it seems like almost a no brainer but the real cost is what will get it on the road passing inspection.