Hi guys, So I just picked up a mini JCB 8018. It has 980 hours. The unit has a little bit of smoke on startup. It hasn't been turned on in a week or so. I was wondering what I should start to look at as to the cause? I just literally got the unit and was wondering what I should immediately change in terms of fluids etc?
Surprised it's doing that with only 980 hours. I just purchased a Kubota KX91-2 with 4500 hours on it and there is no smoke whatsoever even upon starting after sitting in the cold for over a week.
Yup so am I, just got the machine so trying to figure it out.
Its a diesel engine, unless it has tier 3 or 4 emissions system, it will smoke a little until the cylinders get warm. I have a brand new New Holland/Kobelco E27 with a Yanmar diesel and it smokes when cold too. You must be young guys, not used to the "Old" diesels. I have seen clouds of smoke come from brand new cold diesel engines that look like forest fire smoke all my life except for the last 6 or eight years or less.
TimT, lol, I am completely new to diesel engines. I have 10 years of automotive experience. I will see how bad the smoke situation is when I get the machine on site. My driver just told me the machine smoked up on startup. The unit is a 2014 and has a perkins engine from the specs.
I'm curious as to why my 2001 Kubota KX91-2 with 4500 hours on it does not so much as make a puff of smoke upon starting or running at idle or high speed.
Cloves, it kinda depends on what fuel system is on your machine.. the quality of fuel that's in it and how its operated.. IF it has a Delphi injection pump,, that pump has a keyless drive shaft and engine/pump timing is CRITICAL.. They have been known to slip time.. BUT its usually to the point it wont start or is very hard to start. The injectors could be leaking down into the cylinders after you shut it down.. that's to say, they dribble fuel on top of the pistons after a hot shut-down.. A diesel engine should be allowed to cool at idle for aprox. 3 minutes before shut-down. Whats the color of smoke?? Does the unit have glow plugs?? IF SO, one or more could be bad and your trying to run a cold cylinder engine.. and the fuel burns off after the cylinders warm up..
I'll find out on Friday on the smoke issue. I will be getting the full specs end of the week when the machine is front of me. Thanks for all those points to think about pumpguy. I am going to pick up the service manual hopefully tomorrow. I just got the list of the services that the owners just preformed on the machine as well. (Oil Filter oil 15w40, Fuel filter (Sediment/water), Air Filter.) That is a great pointer before shut down on diesel engines! Is there typically a service schedule for mini's that is universal? similar to cars for example.
I wouldn't worry about the smoke . Thats normal for a non tier engine . I have a brand new Kubota k008 11 hrs smokes for at least 20 seconds . I have kubota kx41 that dosen't smoke at all .The k008 has 0 emissions .
White to grey/black smoke from a cold diesel engine is normal. When diesels had only mechanical fuel systems almost all of them smoked on startup in temps below say 50-60 degrees. The older engines many times needed starting fluid or glow plugs/block heater so they would start when cold. Cats and Detroit's, and many others were big time smokers. I have driven every kind of truck and run all kinds of heavy equipment for the last 40 years. When the engines started into electronic fuel systems, things changed slowly to the point that only a little smoke would be emitted on startup, now days with the emissions requirements even less smoke, tier engines produce almost none. But 2014? on, most engines had to have some kind of strict emission controls, for instance, I have a 2015 New Holland Boomer 41 tractor with a Shibaura 4 cyl diesel that has full tier 4 emissions that uses SCR technology that traps ALL soot, and the entire timing and fuel system is controlled by the computer, as are many engines. The Japanese/Korean engines had a little different time frame based on application and size as to when and what type of emission system is used. Lots of the new larger diesels have to use "DEF" /diesel exhaust fluid injected in the catalyst system to help the "Regeneration process" as the carbon is burned out of the catalytic chamber, again my tractor has this and most all very new engines use some type of system. On these you see only water vapor/steam in normal or cold weather operation. As many guys know, these systems truly suck, as they can be a real headache for people. I have yet to see any of these systems that don't cause some kind of issue. Be glad you have a nice engine that smokes for a minute when cold. Perkins are good, rugged engines most all those little diesels are very reliable mechanically.
I believe the specs on the machine said Tier II compliant. Should have the machine by Friday.
Yep some of the younger fellows would get freaked out if they started an old 1693 cat engine on a cold morning. They would be running for cover
Pumpguy beat me to it, check the glow plugs. I've owned Bobcats with Perkins engines and they smoked a little on startup new. My 420 and 533 have Perkapillar engines and they smoke a little on startup as well. Not much but more than than our Mitsupillars.