I am a residential framer and will be purchasing my first Telehandler after renting a variaty of models for the last few years. my favorite brand has been Ingersol rand so that has been what I have been mainly looking for. I found a 1999 vr843 with 3200 hours with a work platform and a truss jib for $28,000. One owner and used exclusively for framing tasks. (I have been told to stay away from machines used for masonry) My first question is in regards to what its value is. There is not much on the market to compare to when it comes to giving the machine a value but from what I have seen it seems like a fair price (maybe a couple grand high?) I would love some insight on this. Secondly I was curious if anyone has had experience sourcing parts for a machine of this age. Should that be something of concern? When I inspected it i made sure all the functions and gears worked smoothly especially the boom. Everything was very well greased including the boom which I have never seen before? It started right up but I forgot to check the cummins for blowby which I would do before handing over the cash. Is there anything else that I should look for? I appreciate your opinions on this. Ben
No way. That's a lot of money for an old machine. Plus ingersoll forklifts aren't made anymore. I think skyjack bought them the last time around. Can you find parts if needed? Personally, for 28k, I'd buy a lot newer machine from auction. https://www.ironplanet.com/ You can search results there too to see how much machines have been selling for.
Don't buy the ingersoll rand. They were oddball when new, and haven't got any better. Skytrak or Lull, JLG. Genie can be hit and miss depending on the machine.
I'd try to find a skytrak, jlg, or jcb. Lulls are discontinued, so parts may be an issue in the future. I'd stay away from older genie machines. They were just rebranded square shooter lifts when they got bought out.
Thank you guys for the responses. I gave him a lowball offer at 18k and moved on. I am surprised to hear the negative feedback on the IR machines. I know a lot of framers that love them. I have signed up on iron planet and am keeping tabs on a few auctions. I’m talking to a guy who is selling his rental fleet. All skytraks mostly 2011s. 4-5000 hour range. He said he might sell one in the 30-35k range. Is that something I should pursue?
Telehandlers are the devils equipment, Skytrak, JLG/CAT suck the least. Avoid IR, Gradall, JCB, Genie, Bobcat, really anything else for that matter.
That seems more reasonable. What size machine you looking for? Devils equipment? What does that mean?? I'd avoid the old Cats, that were made in England. Jlg has been making all cat telehandlers for the last decade or so.
I am looking for a 42-56 foot lift height at a capacity of 6k to 10k. Got an auction coming on Wednesday that I plan to participate in.
The big question is if you want outriggers or not. Keep in mind the 56 foot machines are larger, and they weigh more. Don't drive over concrete! A 42 might be a better fit on residential sites. And you can get a truss boom if you need the extra reach.