Hello Everyone, Its nice to see a resource like this available for those of us who love this stuff! My name is Matt, I live in southwestern PA. I was wondering if you all could give me some input on a few questions Ive been tossing around with. I'm 23yrs old, about to graduate from college with a Bachelors degree in Technology Education. Ive worked on a family friends farm for the past 10 years. During that time Ive operated numerous pieces of equipment from skid steer loaders, to farm tractors, to combines, and backhoes. I also have experience with day-to-day maintenance on machines, minor to moderate repairs, and safe operating skills. I have always...ALWAYS....wanted to get a job operating heavy equipment, but I didn't know how to get into the position. I don't have a lot of experience running heavy equipment in the construction / earthmoving setting, but I do believe my experience on the farm qualifies. I am a fast learner when it comes to operating machinery, and I believe I could do well with any piece of equipment if I could receive coaching and guidance from more experienced operators. I would describe myself as a competent, head-strong, careful, reliable young man who really has a life long passion for this business, just never had the opportunity to fully participate in it. How should I go about applying for jobs? How do I prove myself without having the years of experience? I would like to go to a machinery training school, but I have already invested a large sum of money in this teaching degree, only to find out teaching & the public school system have changed dramatically since my high school days. Thus, I really cant afford to spend more money on training. I just need to get my hands on the controls, and learn on-the-job! Any and all input would be GREATLY appreciated!! Again, nice to see everyone. I hope to hear from you all soon! Thanks, Matt
Welcome to HEF CatMan1284! :drinkup Check out these threads and see if they give you any insight: What to do, what to do... Owners, Superintendents. Please Take Time To Read. Apprenticeships. questions??? Again. bear with me. Most of the things brought up in these threads touches on what you are asking, with some of it being food for thought. Hopefully this will answer some of your questions....if not, feel free to ask some more.
Welcome to HEF Matt!:usa Jordan
:notworthy welcome here Matt
Welcome Matt...:waving :drinkup :beerchug Lots of Western PA guys on here, and it's always good to have another. Joe