Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First time purchasing wheel loader, what to look for?

newdesertfox ยท 2025-04-09 01:05

Title pretty much says it, I've owned or ran tractor loaders, backhoes, skidsteers etc but I'm trying to move more towards running sawmill more full time and so looking for a wheel loader to be lower maintenance and ability to possibly unload/load log and flatbed trailers with bundles weighing 6k maybe up to 10k lb(maybe like once a year a 12-14klb lift would be nice but not necessary by any means). I've looked at some dresser 530s/army M10a's and really like their fork system. Theres 2 possibly for sale within an hour of me, and 1 standard dresser 530 as well. I've heard they can be really reliable but also a hassle to find parts for. Had also seen 90s eras 544G and a cat IT28B both with 8500 hours on them for sale in my budget range but they were many states away, where as the dressers all seemed to have under 3k hours on them and fairly close by Any particular points of interest or concern on the above noted models? The 544s are what I've heard the most about, and was looking at some ex army 544E forklifts but those got sold. Though coming from machines with quick couplers pin buckets are always lovely pfft Any recommendations or pointers for someone looking at them for first time. My understanding is all have 20-25k hour lifespans but engines/trany often need rebuild around 10-15k hours Appreciate it

Replies5
  1. #1Welder Dave2025-04-09 03:23

    I'd be suspect of 90's machines claiming only 3000 hours. For what you want an IT type machine might be the best bet. I think in general machines used with forks their whole life won't be worked/abused as hard as machines used for digging and loading. Of course there are operators that are very rough no matter what they're doing. Probably best parts wise to look at Cat, JD, Komatsu and maybe Case. Best to ask about specific models on here. Dresser were good machines but parts could be an issue. 8500 hours isn't too high if a machine has been maintained fairly well. I've seen lots of "forklift" loaders with 18,000 hours or more still earning their keep. Even some with 25,000+ but those likely have had some components rebuilt.

  2. #2Wastepro2025-04-09 07:19

    we have cat It24f and 930g wheel loaders. The IT machine is better with fork work because the steering sensitivity and visibility of the forks from cab. We purchased ours with almost 10k in hours and she has 12k now still running good for us at the moment.

  3. #3newdesertfox2025-04-09 22:58

    yeah the only ones I would believe are that low that old would be military units given they spend most of their life in the motor pool. So the IT machines not only have a tool carrier but have easier steering as well? I've noticed they don't have a Z link system on them. The cat IT I had seen was interesting and an ex muni unit, but the engine has blowby in it even with what appears to be a new cylinder head installed on it so Im now leery of it. How does case loaders compare the cat or JD? I've mostly just heard of those 2 from that era though I do occasionally see some w18s-w24s come up for sale around here but not common

  4. #4Welder Dave2025-04-09 23:41

    W18's and W24's are getting pretty old.

  5. #5cuttin edge2025-04-10 13:42

    Depending on the year, Case and New Holland are the same machine. IT machines are nice because they keep the forks level as you lift. Our only too carrier is a Case 621E XT. It's been a good machine.