I have a new-to-me Case 450B that has 2 fittings that won't take grease. It's the 2 fittings at the center pin of the blade for the angle cylinders. I've removed the fittings and grease will go through the fitting itself, but the pivot points won't take grease. I've never run into this before. What's the best fix? Thanks, guys and gals. View attachment IMG_8936[1].JPG
Pull the pins out and clean out all the dirt and old grease that's compacted into it. Sometimes it almost turns into cement.
In a pinch I have used a propane torch to help that out. And like mentioned above may have to be done, and make sure if there is a bushing the hole lines up.
Depending on the location you may get lucky and be able to run a drill bit in through the passage and clear out enough hardened crap to get it to take grease. If that doesn't work then honestly your best bet is to just pull the pin out and see what's going on. In my personal experience I'd estimate my success rate with "alternative methods" is so low I usually give it a half-assed attempt and then end up pulling the pin anyways.
I've had limited success with a tool called a grease zerk cleaner, google it and pick your poison of which there are many. But I can't say it'll fix your issue...it would depend on how compacted the plug is in your case. I find this tool to be useful on lightly neglected situations. You may be just as well off to do the aforementioned pin removal and clean it out that way.
Heat may help.
Grease zerk cleaner like this works pretty well. https://locknlube.com/collections/g...products/grease-buster?variant=32921003327572 I use diesel or penetrating oil in it. If that won’t work, I’ll remove the grease zerk. Then stick a long nozzle from breaker loose oil in it and spray till it runs out. Do that a few times and it will break up the hardened grease.
Our Hitachi ex 270 roadbuilder (>20,000h) had been badly neglected. Pulling pins was the solution….