Have a general question, I have a flat on my backhoe, 16.9x24 tire. Tires and tubes are about 10 years old err, 15 years old or so. I don't see anything on the rim that looks like a bead lock, I hear tell when the tire guys put the tires on they did it all on the equipment setting up on the outriggers. Are the beads easy enough to break? there is a spot on the tire marked 'pry notch' I've done a lot of motorcycle tires, light truck tires and a few split ring tire changes. About how much does the tire weigh? Oh, and they're not loaded. I'm guessing rust chafed the tube so it'd make sense to strip, blast and repaint the rim inside and out. Thanks in advance.
Nowadays I take the tire off and haul it the local Goodyear dealer. They charge $50.00 To fix a simple puncture. I have in the past demounted the tire myself. After taking the tire off, block up the tractor and use the outrigger to break the beads . Works like a charm.
In my experience, it's easier to leave the rim on the machine. These tires are not heavy. Ag tractor tires can be much larger and the repair guys want them left on the machine because it's the easiest way to demount a tire of that size. The pry notch is for a hydraulic clamp / wedge. The thing clamps on the rim and a wedge pushes between the bead and the rim to loosen the bead. That's the easy way to do it but they are quite expensive if you're not in the tire repair business on a regular basis. Another option we use is a shop made bead breaker that looks like a 5' crow bar with a sliding weight. Start at the pry notch and work your way around the rim. If it hasn't been off for years, the rust can be a real problem. Cleaning and painting the rim is a good plan, especially where the bead seats. The next guy who changes a tire on that rim will thank you. On the other hand if Mr Goodyear will do it for $50..... In our area, nobody would touch it for $50!
My tires are also 16.9x24 mounted on Case TLB rims. The first time I had them off for replacement I spent a lot of time removing the rust and repainting them. Also ,I actually used the backhoe to break the beads. I didn't recommend it in my first post because I believe sharp bucket teeth will easily puncture a sidewall if extreme care isn't taken. I watched the tire technician do the repair, the beads broke loose with very little effort. The tire repair was done in about 30 minutes. I am guessing that is why Goodyear only charged me $50.00 for the repair.The rims do not have notches.
I was thinking using the bucket and a 4x4 about 3' long to pop the outer bead while its mounted and a pry from the inside. It sounds like something that's possible to do without the fancy tools, a six pack of diet coke and some tunes.
The too with the slide hammer that Clay Digger mentioned is available from Northern Hydraulics for around $100. I have broken the bead with the hoe, but if the tire is dry rotten, you may tear the tire. When prying the tire off after the bead is broken, be careful not to pinch the tube. Anymore, I have a tire store three miles away that will do a repair for 50-75 dollars. It is amazing what they can patch! Also, before you have someone else do a repair, ask if they patch tubes. I have found some places that will only replace tubes, and will not patch them. John
Hmmm, another snazzy tool, maybe! The tire/tubes/liners were new 15 years back, they're not dry yet, Goodyear rubber and all installed for $250 each side back then, delivered and installed. Will be aiming for no pinched tubes and no bloodshed. I know Tractor Supply has the big tube patches.
All done Well, tire off, rim cleaned and painted, let it cure and found an odd spot on the tube, might have been pinched a long time ago then finally failed. Patched it up nice. Indeed, wood block and the hoe to pop the outer bead, hi-lift jack to break the inner then prybars to get it all off. Not too difficult but its a bit tricky due to the size. Took a couple hours of worktime, most of the day was force drying the rim with the big heater.
Nice to hear a success story!
Even better to not have to worry about a flat. I think for experience, I'm going to clean up the other rim on a nice warm summer day, there was a lot of rust to scrape off, even scraped the rust off the tube.