Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fL5 leaking fluid badly

big builder ยท 2007-12-13 18:19

hey everyone, i have an 86 fl5. while doing the snow around the place i noticed a continuous stream of red fluid behind the machine. i looked under the machine and saw where it was coming through a hole in bottom plate. it doesn't seem to leak unless the machine is moving. anyone have any ideas before i pull off the bottom cover?

Replies6
  1. #1Northart2007-12-15 22:31

    Leak source ? Sounds like a hose or hose fitting. Red color ? Hydraulic or converter . Should park it and repair immediately.

  2. #2skata2007-12-16 00:05

    while i dont know what a fl5 is, your problem sounds like a torque convertor seal is leaking.

  3. #3Ray Welsh2007-12-17 17:20

    Pull the bottom cover for a visual ASAP

  4. #4Northart2007-12-18 04:52

    Fl5 ? Identity ! Here's a pix of a FL5, Fiat Allis Track Loader, the item in topic.

  5. #5big builder2008-01-28 06:17

    You know I left the machine until I would have time to pull the covers. Then I really needed it for snow removal so I topped it up and started to use it. Worked good and didn't leak for a couple of hours then puked a huge puddle under machine all of a sudden. I definately have to lift the inspection plates to have a look. Can anyone confirm that it is dexron ATF in it? WIll type two or three work? Thank you

  6. #6ctkiteboarding2008-01-28 12:44

    sounds like the fluid is puddling up in the pan and when the machine moves agressively the puddle spills over and on the ground,, get a repair manual, make sure your trans levels are up and watch them close till you can repair it, my fl5 is a work horse but has small issues every now and then , they are good solid platforms take care of it and it will work hard for you, good luck post the repair w pics R