Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Float does not stick on my Volvo L30G

eckeph ยท 2024-03-31 13:29

I just bought a L30G (2017) but the lever won't stick in float position. I had a Cat 906 (2005) and that didn't stick in float either until I found out that it was a relay that was missing in the electronic board (no idea why it was missing) Can I do the same magic trick (or something else) to make the lever stick or do I have to accept that this is the way this machine works? I read through the manual and it says - " Float Position (with hold function)". To me "hold" means that it should stick in the float position, but maybe "hold" has a different meaning than what I'm thinking?

Replies5
  1. #1funwithfuel2024-03-31 16:59

    Without checking the service literature, the switch activates a relay via fuse. From the relay it powers a magnet on the lever carrier which holds the boom lever forward. The first thing I would do is physically push the stick forward, past the detent and hold it there to verify that the function works to begin with. The next thing I would do is check fuse and relay against the legend on the cover or your ops manual. Verify that they are both in place and in good order. Finally, pull the trim work off the lever carrier and check the magnet on the front of the lever. The magnet should just barely touch a floppy flat on a ball socket when in float. In the meantime, post a pic of your serial, I'll try n get you better service info. Just shooting from the hip right now.

  2. #2eckeph2024-03-31 17:06

    The float function works. It's just that the lever (or the actual float) doesn't stick, so I have to keep the lever depressed the whole time. I cannot find anything related to this in the manual so I do not know if there is any fuse or relay connected to his or if this is the way it is supposed to work.

  3. #3funwithfuel2024-03-31 18:29

    Ok, here's the bad news. It doesn't look like your machine was born with float from the factory. Not to say it wasn't added or couldn't be added. Please see attached. I've attached the electric installation and birth certificate for your machine as equipped from the factory. I don't see the required installation on the option list. Only 3rd/4th function with quick coupler and clam bucket. Please compare hold solenoid location with what you have. Please disconnect your bucket and physically lock the boom in the raised position with an adequate support before even entertaining the idea of working beneath the loader frame. Good luck.

  4. #4eckeph2024-04-02 03:42

    I do have the float function so maybe it's installed after delivery. When you write "hold solenoid" are you talking about the solenoid that activates the float? Or are you talking bout a solenoid that will hold the lever in the float position?

  5. #5eckeph2024-04-05 07:49

    An update if someone has the same problem as I did. It turns out that I have the hold function. The problem was that there was so much dirt in there so the solenoid didn't have the power to lock up. Problem solved!