Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flushing out a power shuttle drive unit

fishfighter ยท 2014-01-27 06:48

I have a Case 580C that a bought. The PO had change all fluids before I bought it, but I don't think he used the right oil. I found out that once it warms up after a couple hours, shifting it in forward, it will take 20-30 seconds to engage, reverse goes right in gear. I did check the linage and all is good. When it is cold, it engages right off the bat. Also, even when it's hot and once it engages, it is not slipping any, so that is telling me that just maybe the wrong oil was used. Today, I'm thinking of draining everything( converter too), drop the pan, clean the strainer and flush the system, then refill. For the oil cooler, I will disconnect the oil lines and blow air thru them to get all oil out of it. This way I know all oil is out the system and looking for a clean start. Question is, is there something I could use to help flush out the system to help clean it out? Is there anything that I should do other then what I plan on doing? Oh, I did power wash it yesterday to start finding a few oil leaks. My power steering is leaking from around the canister oring. Yesterday, I pull and fixed my right brake. Everything looked new as the PO told me he had changed, but it needed adjustment and the spring that pulls down on it was missing. I replaced that and they are good as new now.

Replies7
  1. #1AllDodge2014-01-27 10:56

    I thinking more like a worn seals in the transmission valve body or clutches. When cold it goes right into gear FWD/REV when cold and takes some time when warm in FWD. Once the piston is moved far enough past the area where fluid is leaking past the seal, it stops leaking and full power is applied to the clutch pack.

  2. #2fishfighter2014-01-27 15:09

    I really don't feel up to pulling the shuttle drive. So I will try to flush it to see if there is any improvement. I did flush the power steering out and fixed a small leak on the oring of the canister. Then the rain started. Weather is calling for more snow and sleet. This is something we don't get but every 3-5 years and it is happing twice in 7 days.

  3. #3Sirthor18812014-01-27 16:36

    Power Shuttles are not hard to pull. I've pulled many while I worked at my local Case dealer. Sometimes it's cheaper to get a reman than to fix the one you have.

  4. #4fishfighter2014-01-27 16:42

    I been thru a few BW trainnies for boats. Not much differences in this one. At this time, I'm looking for a easy fix. LOL Oh, the oil in the power steering was the wrong oil and also it looks like the PO used the wrong oil in the transaxle too.

  5. #5fishfighter2014-02-02 12:12

    Dumped all oil yesterday and clean the suction strainer which was plugged. A bit better, but still not as it should. Looking to pull the valve body for a rebuild but need a better shop manual.

  6. #6sheepfoot2014-02-02 14:36

    I would look at your book and check the shuttle pressures, could have some other issues. Have you checked the cut out valve to make sure it's tight and not allowing to much or not enough travel along with the ball joints at the shifter linkage.

  7. #7fishfighter2014-02-02 16:10

    There is a lot of play there. I see were one just screws it in. I see the thin nut. Is that action as a lock nut? Also, I have a oil leak coming for that area. Is there a seal I could change? We are getting a bunch of rain for the next week and I have my hoe at a family members house to weld on the digging bucket that I ripped open. Must of had a crack that I didn't see. Got my gauges working and added a engine oil pressure gauge. Still waiting on some dummy lights to add to the gauge package. I have to adjust the front end toe. New ball joints there. That is on the list of things that need to be fixed. On a side note. Ran it on the roads today in 4th gear with no problem as far as the drive train. That leads me to believe that the clutches in the power shuttle are ok. Really no slipping taking off from a dead start in 4th gear. Of course the clutch cut out switch has be disconnected. That is on the hit list too.