Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

FNG….from the Heart of Dixie

HDSlowride ยท 2016-03-28 12:43

Completely new here. I looked for a thread where we introduce ourselves but didn't see one. (Found it) It will take me some time to look around and get familiar with the site. I am a former precision machinist who went back to school and have worked as a manufacturing engineer (General Dynamics) in the aerospace/defense industry for over 30 years. I am on my last week at my job and am going to retire Thursday on the 31st. So I wanted something to do in retirement, because I like being outside and in the woods is better. I bought a 2004 model John Deere 450H LT to have for a hobby. My son just bought 20 acres of neglected, wooded land to homestead on so I should get plenty of practice working on that place. I have been doing some cleanup and small tree clearing with my JD farm tractor with front end bucket but ran out of horsepower and traction. I will be doing some limited transport of the dozer between my farm and his place, about 31 miles one way. I bought a Big Tex GD25-28+5MR that I will modify with some rough cut oak boards placed on the ramps for traction and will pull it with my F350 dually powerstroke. So, I am here to listen, read and learn because I am ignorant to dozer work. Familiar with tractors but not steel tracks. Bear with me as I hope to ask the occasional newbie question and learn from those with experience. Thanks.

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2016-03-28 12:52

    Welcome!

  2. #2Scrub Puller2016-03-28 15:28

    Yair . . . HDSlowride You have come to a good place and welcome. The depth and breadth of knowledge on this site is remarkable . . . and don't be bothered by what you may think are "newbie" questions, ask them anyway. Cheers.

  3. #3old-iron-habit2016-03-28 15:36

    Welcome and enjoy your retirement. I retires a year and a couple months ago and so far I can't figure out how I ever had time to work.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-03-28 20:11

    I LOVE the F.N.G. start!! I say it all the time. Lol.. How about, H. N. I. C..?? I'll walk up on a jobsite and say it.. Wheres the HNIC??? I need to work on such & such.. Lol Welcome...

  5. #5Tractorguy2016-03-28 20:57

    Just out of curiosity does your pickup struggle slightly to stop with that dozer? And welcome! Ha

  6. #6HDSlowride2016-03-29 09:54

    Nah....it's uphill both ways