Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Foam Filled Tires

NCPIPELINE ยท 2012-05-22 07:56

Ok so I have 4 tire machines, trust me chasing flats, and plugs and patches and keeping up with spares is a PINTA! I know foam filling can be expensive or possibly buying Nu-Air tires, has anyone ever heard of a DIY tire foam for skid steers?

Replies22
  1. #1KSSS2012-05-22 09:27

    Nu-Airs I can speak to, I bought a set for a CASE 465 12X16.5 (roughly this size) about two years ago. While they work great on hard surfaces and the ride was not as bad as you would likely expect it to be, there are some draw backs. The 465 is really heavy, these tires provide zero floatation, result is predictable. The other issue being they make the machine hop and spin in certain types of material (granular especially). There is of course zero flex in these tires. They make a wider floatation type Nu Air that may address some of these issues, but if your looking for this tire to run with the same degree of performance as a regular tire in dirt, that was not my experience (in the 12X16.5). I have switched to a an L-5 type tire for this machine. I use the Nu Airs for demo projects and when running steel tracks on the 465. They work great in these type applications.

  2. #2Scrap2012-06-03 18:16

    I would think the foam fill would add valuable weight to rear of the machine for more stability, but there are trade offs for both types of tire

  3. #3parker2012-06-03 21:26

    While I am interested in foam tires ( yes blow out on I presume multiflora rose if you know what they are... But I have now a more urgent issue and I am new to this forum. How do I post a new item?? So once I know how to post that will help. Butn maybe someone on here knows the answer to my problem. I have a new holland L170. It was working fine and then a light on panel came on with beeping. Light looks like a gear with maybe a drop of fluid in center. All fluids are full. Temp is fine, oil and coolant are fine. I topped off hydraulic fluid with recommended fluid for this machine but no change, light is on and beeps. Machine runs fine, starts, seems normal but I did not run it long at all since I do not have owners manual yet and I did not want to damage machine. Thanks for any help!

  4. #4CRAFT2012-06-03 23:19

    You will not be able to start a new thread until you have posted 3 times............... That light that came on is probably telling you that you have low hyd pressure or low hyd charge pressure .... a guy would need to know more about your machines history to be able to suggest things but if it has any amount of hours I would start with hyd filters ....might be plugged up ..... good-luck and welcome to HEF

  5. #5KSSS2012-06-03 23:32

    It might just be the sensor. My 07 465 light would come on for no reason. Sensor bad. I would replace the filter as suggested, if it still goes off look at the sensor.

  6. #6parker2012-06-04 07:23

    Nh l170 Filter was changed about 10 hours ago so I prob not it. I'm just learning about this machine. Its real nice, got it at auction for 11k and came from a dairy farm with only 2300 hrs on it. The machine overheated a week ago but only at full throttle... light came on.. and it turned out to only be silage packed 1/3 of the way up between radiator and oil coiler. No prob since cleaned out. So hope it is a quick and cheap fix. I am leaning towards the sensor. I will call NH dealer this am and see what they say and get my owners manual ordered. Thanks for all your suggestions..at least this does not seem to be a big problem.

  7. #7Nige2012-06-04 07:47

    Have you thought of Cat Flexport Tyres..? Much softer than solid and with all the benefits of foam filled. http://parts.cat.com/parts/tires

  8. #8transamz92012-06-04 14:51

    What kind of surface are you running this machine on? We have went to running this on all of our wheeled machines. They are 100% better at resisting flats and last twice as long on hard surfaces......... http://www.jeetires.com/subcat.php?item=price&order=1&id=158 As for the NH Skid steer, we had a ls160 that had the same problem and it ended up being the main ECM. Ours would only do it below 40* F.

  9. #9mudwrench2012-06-19 21:20

    i dont know about the material used but i used to deliver tires for a living, one shop i went to had a dedicated man for foam filling tires.......... he used a styrofoam cup to put the 2 components into the tire through a funnel. someone?? not me should be able to find this material online somewhere............it aint rocket science

  10. #10NCPIPELINE2012-06-20 08:34

    hmmmm

  11. #11buckfever2012-06-20 19:40

    I've had foam tires on our skid-steer and we won't be doing that agian. Not only do they ride like there made of cast iron but they will also break off your wheel studs. Nothing like driving down the road with a bucket of dirt and you rear tire passes you up.

  12. #12transamz92012-07-05 13:46

    That wasn't because the tires were filled with foam. You had other issues like loose nuts or something. Your wheels should ride on the center hub not the studs.

  13. #13buckfever2012-07-05 20:07

    We had spacers to run tire over tracks and the center wasn't wide enough and caused the rim to deform. Now all the pressure was on the studs which caused the wheel to roll on by.

  14. #14CRAFT2012-07-06 02:04

    "SO" ..... I guess that means that transamz9 Was correct that the foam had nothing to do with breaking the studs ....just poor fitting wheel spacers ....... hmmmmm

  15. #15buckfever2012-07-06 19:20

    We had air tires on it for a year. No problems. Put the filled tires on and it only took a couple of hundred hours to fail. If the rims fit better or we removed the spacers off the machine would the same thing happen? Maybe not. But I know between the broken studs and the back breaking ride that we won't be running them agian.

  16. #16Colorado Digger2012-07-07 18:09

    we just run demo tires and deal with a flat or two. nothing terrible

  17. #17Skideoder2012-07-07 21:11

    I've had foam filled tires on my machine since I bought it. I definitely agree that they ride rough, but Im not exactly in a Cadillac in the 1st place, Im working, so I wont cry about the ride. They have saved me who knows how much down time and money from running over all kinds of brush and cactus (6 years worth in Arizona). Now here in Tx, they work great for running over sticks and other brush. When I upgrade to a larger machine, if its a wheel machine it will have the solid tires like Solideal makes. Should give a softer ride and I can go with a different tread design.

  18. #18Skideoder2012-07-07 21:13

    Also there are tire sealants out there that are super thick designed for sealing up some pretty large punctures. I've been told they work great on skidsteer and tractor tires, but have never tried it personally.

  19. #19Jbullfrog2012-07-15 18:23

    We run the sealant in our 1845C and also have a set of solid tires and wheels for it. We run the solid tires to pick up wire and move rubber around our tire grinder. The fine wire is terrible on inflated tires, but the solid ones don't pick it up as bad. We swap them off to do anything else with it, as the solid tires don't have much tread. Look at AirBoss tires, as they have replacable segments and a softer ride.

  20. #20Orgnoi12012-07-16 06:16

    We have had filled tires since we bought our 463... I cant speak for not running them OR for on a larger skid... but the weight factor alone makes it worth it a million times over on our small skid... from someone of the machines outputs when simple inputs are done though I can see for sure there are drawbacks... there is ZERO give... and ZERO suspension feel... but that just means I slow down over obstacles where a larger air filled machine could hammer right over... its definately a toss up... I have been contemplating a No-Air type tire as a replacement but I am spoiled with the 44" kit with the heavy fill... I think the machine is going to be a bit more unstable without them...

  21. #21Fred Bryant2012-07-16 20:09

    Just got first machine, and I am getting it running. The tires have plenty of tread left, but might be DOA as the machine had sat totally flat in them for a couple of years giving them a funny shape. I tried to fill them using a web strap to get them close to the rim, and was able to do three of the four. The fourth one is being stubborn. I planned on taking it to the tire shop so they could us their bead setter on it, but when I came out today, all four were flat again. I will see what the shop saies, but I was thinking of putting sealant in them if I can get them filled. Any downside to sealant? Thx's, Fred.

  22. #22buckfever2012-07-16 20:19

    We use the Slime brand. Buy it by the gallon and put a half gallon in each tire. Stuff works great but you still have to keep an eye on tire pressure. It seem like they loss a little air before they seal up totaly. Also keep a plug kit on hand for those larger nails or bolts that the sealent just can'nt seal right.