Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Foam filling tires

charles walton · 2023-07-28 15:52

Has anyone tried a do it yourself foam fill for Skid steer tires and if so what product and how did it turn out?

Replies6
  1. #1charles walton2023-07-30 09:52

    I guess no body has tried it.

  2. #2Nige2023-07-30 10:03

    I've never seen foam filling on tyres as small as those on a skid steer. Usually airless tyres are the preferred option.

  3. #3crane operator2023-07-30 10:40

    I’ve never seen a home kit for foam filling. It is common to foam fill skid steer tires by me, farmers clearing locust trees it’s a “must have “. Ride quality suffers, but most skids ride pretty rough anyway with their short wheelbase.

  4. #4KSSS2023-07-30 11:41

    Your better off with the airless tires. Getting those foam filled tires off a rim is a pain. The airless are not cheap, they suck when working in the dirt, but on a demo project on hard ground they are worth it. I have a set of McLaren airless, I thought they would work everywhere like a pneumatic tire and they don't, but they are handy to have around just for certain demo projects.

  5. #5Nige2023-07-30 11:47

    That's exactly why everywhere I know switched from foam filled to airless when they hit the market. Probably the only people who still use foam-filled are farmers, and that's more to do with having short arms & deep pockets IMHO.

  6. #6charles walton2023-08-01 13:19

    That’s the reason I’m trying to find a way to do it myself, I have good tread on some cheap 6 ply tires and I want to try to get by for a year or so and then get some airless, I have 14x17.5 and they are expensive even for the cheap ones.