That was the story I heard. I was driving through the canyon and spotted the belly of a grove crane by the Roza Dam access road. He was climbing a pretty steep gravel grade, so speed was not the issue. He just drove off the road. This one's for you, @Truck Shop
Had a similar at the Sioux Power Station a number of years ago, driver 'Allowed' the machine to get too close to the NO Shoulder edge of the road, sheer weight pulled it off and over.
I'll guess, Detroit power and he fell asleep. Tire tracks tell a story.
It's only a half mile long access road, max. My take is he spilled his coffee on his cellphone. Or maybe he wanted to make the hard left back to the north on the highway and really messed it up.
I like the little kids soccer cones lol as if you can't tell there was rig in the ditch
Its a tms540- so no detroit. It would be a 3126 and a allison. Which leaves plenty of hands free for your coffee. I'm in the "quit paying attention" category. Once you kind of start on a soft shoulder, it can suck you right in, until the crane decides its tired and wants to lay on its side for a while.
I believe I posted a while back about needing a heavy tow rig to get me out of a soft spot on the local high school's lawn, and how the long time owner of the company went to a lot of extra effort (taking longer) to re-rig the tow strap from where I thought it should go. I had the thought he was just trying to drag (no pun intended) the job out, to be able to charge more. I also had the thought he just maybe knew more then I did about his business so I kept my mouth shut. Good thing as he just charged the min fee anyway, good dude. 2 weeks later he for some reason drove off a straight section of interstate and rolled, killed him. I had a few close calls with my single axle 17 ton Terex boom trucks before I wised up, they were wallowing pigs, if the curve warning sign said 35, I'd slow to 30 max, that bad. The tandem axle I drive now corners like a sports car in comparison.
that boom truck I ran with air suspension wallowed the same. Those corner signs were for me.