Don't see these around much any longer. Wondering why? Back in the early 1980's and into the 1990's they were commonplace. My old Hyster was a mechanical folding neck and worked very easily once your routine for operation was figured out. One just needed to know how to operate the mechanical winch that did the work. Kind of wondering if I should pursue another of these, or an RGN trailer? Not having an air ride tractor, or wet kit for the task, rules out some of the options currently favored. Opinions?
I’ve run both, started with the Hyster like you have behind a winch truck. RGN is way easier to use. A self contained trailer solves the hydraulic issue, I prefer the Honda motors. We have trucks on camelback running RGN’s. Usually what they do is set it down, pull forward about a foot then use the neck support to raise the neck up a couple inches so it won’t drag as they pull away. It’s not as convenient as air ride but it’s less work than a winch, especially if you unhook the cable because you’re loading something that would damage it if driven over.
My R model is on Camelback with a 54" 5th wheel height. Set it up that way years ago to go with the Hyster trailer which was a level deck and center point suspension. Truly rode like a buckboard when empty. However, for the time it really worked slick. Never have hauled a large excavator myself and they really weren't all that commonplace when I had the trailer, but I'd assume an RGN would be much better for this application given the height. Haven't really used the winch for anything since selling the trailer and if a self contained RGN were purchased would probably lose that from the truck. It is heavy in it's own right: Had this trailer for a spell but it was so rusted underneath it was not kept. Heavy thing but it did work well: Still on the hunt but am leaning toward a 35T RGN with a flip rear axle for the occasional usage if needed. Thanks,
I'll be damned. This is my old 1978 Hyster trailer sold in 1984 to a guy in Texas: 1978 LOAD KING LOWBOY For Sale in Houston, Texas 1978 LOAD KING LOWBOY For Sale in Houston, Texas at MachineryTrader.com www.machinerytrader.com I put the bends into the rear tail panel butting it up against the tail roller supports winching dead equipment onto the trailer all those years ago. Looks like it's suffered some rough use since my tenure. I've ran across an older "Nelson" RGN that is 40 ton rated, NGB, and tri axle. A friend from the area is going to go give it a lookover as it is almost 900 miles distant and he is less than 100 from it. Although never around trucking, he does have an "eye" for the abnormal or decay, so I'll get an accurate representation reported back. Trailer looks pretty good, but it is a dealership and buying sight unseen is not always best to do.
Man, I must be getting old. Although the correct trailer, I've called that thing a "Hyster" so many times through the years I had myself believing it to be. Showed my wife the advertisement and she confirms it was a "Load King" trailer, and the serial number is one and the same.
The self powered trailer works great, but it's a bi*&^ when the motor won't start. Not that it happens a lot, but...... I take it your winch is mechanicly driven, not hydraulic. If you took the winch off, be a nice spot to mount a tank for a wet line.