Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fontaine Trailer Breaking Problems

Tubton75 ยท 2016-05-21 08:35

We Have a 2007 Fontaine flatbed trailer which we are having braking issues with. The brakes have been changed, drums have been changed, slack adjusters have been changed. Practically no brakes. We have ruined several tires in regards to this problem. does anyone have any suggestions or insights? I appreciate any information or suggestions that you would have regarding this issue. Thank you for your time.

Replies11
  1. #1kshansen2016-05-21 09:00

    I'm having a problem understanding how a lack of brakes is killing tires, or are the tires being ruined on the tractor? Have you checked applied air pressure at the brake chambers? Are the slacks and chambers the correct size for the trailer? Did it have good brakes in the past? If so when did the change happen?

  2. #2mitch5042016-05-21 09:30

    I'm confused, you say no brakes, but that you've ruined tires? Usually I see tires ruined by too aggressive braking, or brakes not releasing fast enough. One thing that will cause either problem, is S-cam bushings, and less commonly, S-cams. Something we have a lot of trouble with here is some !@#$%^&* little insect that chews leaves into tiny bits and packs them into the gladhands of trailers. If you don't notice, when you put air on it, your lines and valves are suddenly full. Depending on which line and what kind of valves, it can cause all kinds of problems. Good luck, Mitch

  3. #3Tubton752016-05-21 09:31

    Thank you for your reply. We have changed out the chambers and brakes according to the numbers specified. Geesh.....this is an issue that we can't seem to pin down.

  4. #4Tubton752016-05-21 09:35

    Thank you Mitch for your reply, the tire issue is on the truck because the trailer brakes are not working. I'm sorry, I did not make myself clear.

  5. #5fast_st2016-05-21 10:00

    Sounds like the tractor protection valve may not be operating. Do other trailers work okay with this tractor? If the problems are just this trailer, I'm wondering if something crawled up your blue line and died in there, acting like a check ball to prevent air from going in but allowing it to get out. I'd have to say start probing with a couple cheap harborfrieght pressure gauges and see where the air isn't getting to.

  6. #6Tubton752016-05-21 10:41

    Thank you fast_st for your quick reply. This happens with all the trailers, We will check the tractor protection valve...good suggestion, we're definitely at a loss for a solution and I really appreciate your feed back, need to get this fixed, it's wearing me and the truck out.

  7. #7willie592016-05-21 11:13

    If this is happening to every trailer you connect the tractor to then the problem has to be the tractor, not the trailer(s). Like fast_st stated, start with the TPV.

  8. #8Tubton752016-05-21 11:50

    Thank you Sir. I appreciate your time will let you know and update as soon as possible....now to get to checking...

  9. #9mitch5042016-05-21 19:54

    Yep, if it does the same thing with more than one trailer, it's definitely a tractor problem.

  10. #10Truck Shop2016-05-21 21:58

    Start by using another red glad hand that's plugged off-connect it to the red trailer supply hose or red glad hand. Put a gauge on a blue service glad hand and connect it to the blue service hose or hand. Push red dash valve in. Have someone watch the gauge while lite pressure is added at foot valve or hand trailer valve. Under normal braking 10 to 20 psi-emergency braking 50 plus psi. Note! Two winters ago I found a blue spring coil service line that someone tried thaw with a propane torch. SMART. Trailer shoes 85%-Drive shoes on the rivets. Truck Shop

  11. #11Tubton752016-05-22 16:50

    Thank you truck shop we will try that. I appreciate your help.