Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

For a D69U What transmission fluid and what fluid in the clutch?

daxlw ยท 2010-04-24 22:40

Wanting to know what you guys who have old machines like a 57 D69U use for transmission fluid and clutch fluid. Also, the drive clutch seal that is at the rear of the machine that runs the cable winch leaks, what do I do to fix it?

Replies6
  1. #1LonestarCobra2010-04-25 10:14

    Down here, everybody runs 85-140 or something close to it. As far as the clutch, if it has been changed to a "wet clutch" 30 wt oil seems to work well. The leaking seal will need to be replaced if you dont want to deal with the leak.

  2. #2spitzair2010-04-25 23:25

    I use 80/90 in my transmission and bevel gear case and 10wt in the clutch if I remember right... I'll double check my manual when I get home in a few days...

  3. #3dieseldave2010-04-26 21:29

    My old Cat manuals say to run motor oil (30 wt) in everything, but the old boys I know who put 1000's of hours on these things when they were new said that gear oil (80-90) was better in the finals and trans. I run rotella 15w40 in everything else in mine, including the clutch.

  4. #4FSERVICE2010-04-26 21:39

    oil to use my cat manual also says to use 30 wt in it all i have a d69u that is hyro not cable driven

  5. #5sww2010-04-27 20:21

    Dave or anyone. I was wondering if you have ever replace any of the seals. I am talking about the one that is behind the clutch case but in front of the drum that is under your feet. I just was wondering if it was a simple take apart and replace or a real bear. thanks and my manual says use s.a.e. 90 in trans nothing on clutch but was told 30 wt.

  6. #6dieseldave2010-04-27 22:00

    Sounds like you're talking about the output shaft from the clutch. If so, I think it's relatively easy to change, though I've never had to do one on a D6. I'll take a look in the service manual and see what's involved.