Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

For those who like old Macks

Truck Shop · 2016-06-04 23:00

This B71 sets about three miles from my house. Hidden in it's own little valley away from the public. It has a turbo 220 Cummins, total miles 221,000. No rust or rot even has the original keys. I'm working on owning this one. 1956 B 71. Sixty years young. Truck Shop

Replies35
  1. #1kenh2016-06-04 23:09

    Looks great! Hope you get it.

  2. #2lantraxco2016-06-04 23:19

    That's a find! What transmission(s) do it have?

  3. #3willie592016-06-04 23:50

    Can't tell about the rear wheels, but I notice Budd wheels on the front axle. Interesting to me as 1956 trucks would mostly have Dayton rims. Does anybody know when Budd rims were introduced? Just curious.

  4. #4lantraxco2016-06-05 00:45

    May have been a West coast thing, pretty rare to see the Daytons on any tractor as I recall (This B model was built before I was born but still popular in my youth). Mind you my memory ain't what it used to be.

  5. #5RonG2016-06-05 04:29

    Why don't you tease me Mike?I never saw a B-71 that I know of.It seems that the odd numbers in the model signified a Cummins such as B-73 etc but I have no rule book to guide me.I hope you get it and can't wait to see the results when you finish with it.Ron G

  6. #6Truck Shop2016-06-05 07:26

    Ron from what I can tell 71's, 73's and 75's were the Cummins powered models. It has Mack gear boxes-Z shift pattern on the auxiliary. Mack camel back suspension with Mack top drop rear drives. And last but not least Budd wheels all the way around. Oh and Westinghouse air brake system. This puppy was born the same year as me. And the puppy mounted on top of the radiator is in damn near perfect shape. Truck Shop

  7. #7DoyleX2016-06-05 08:45

    And if you molest it in any way the truck gods will strike you with lightning. That gem has lived waaaay to long in original condition. You can still buy the missing driving light where the tow hook was bolted on from http://www.unityusa.com/ B-71'S were made from 1953-58 0nly 522 were produced. Only engine from factory was NHB 743 cu.in. 200 HP. It had a BBC of 112 1/2". Radiator extended past fenders. It is the only B Series with this style front tin. If you see one there is no mistaking it for any other B-Model. Not many B-71'S left in any condition. Stole this clip thom the ATHS site

  8. #8RonG2016-06-05 09:20

    I am pretty sure that the Mack engines,the 673 cu.in. and the 711 cu.in. were both 211 HP and aside from an head gasket occasionally on the 711 they were both pretty good engines.They put a turbocharger on the 711 after a fashion which helped with the headgasket issue meanwhile they increased the HP from 211 to 225 then to 250 on the 673 to compete with the 237HP 675 cu.in.Maxidyne.Ron G

  9. #9Truck Shop2016-06-05 12:23

    This one of my pen & ink drawings. The only things that I would add to that old girl is twin horns with mutes, 6" straight stack 3' above cab and a custom made visor. the bumper would remain the same just painted with white steel wheels. I have several other drawings on the HTF forum under old iron. Truck Shop

  10. #10farmerlund2016-06-05 12:31

    That's a pretty cool old find. Amazing its all there and not full of bullet holes. That's a very superb drawing, I am jealous as I can barely sign my name. lol

  11. #11td25c2016-06-05 12:32

    That's a good question willie ? From what I can tell the "Budd" style came before the " Dayton 's " Just looking at WWII vintage trucks I see Budd type wheels . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2½-ton_6x6_truck#/media/File:GMC_2_Half-ton_6x6_Truck.jpg https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/M26-tractor-1.jpg Our 1953 Insley Truck crane runs the Budd's as well . Probably cant tell from the photo but the center of the wheel is actually riveted to the outer part . Not welded . HeavyEquipmentForums I'm going to take a wild guess that the Dayton's showed up on trucks post WWII . I just don't know for sure :beatsme Hey Truck Shop , You better get that Mack bought bro ! She sure looks nice . Wheat looks good to . Did spot an interesting article about the founder of Dayton and early cast spoke wheels . Still did not see any time reference as to when the modern Dayton was introduced like what we use today . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Walther_Sr.#Patents Probably under a patent number somewhere ?

  12. #12Truck Shop2016-06-05 15:03

    That wheat crop as in most areas around the base of the Blue Mountains will average 95 to 105 Truck Shop

  13. #13kshansen2016-06-05 15:52

    There were a bunch of the old B models around when I started work at the quarry and for many years after well into 1970's. We had everything from B-42's up to B-81's. The even numbered ones were gas engines and the odd numbered ones were diesel. Sometimes wish I had taken the boss up on the offer of a B-42 it was in about the same condition as this one. It had a flat head six cylinder gas engine, can't recall if it was a Mack made engine or something like a Hercules or Continental. Price would have been, get in and drive it home! Just considered junk. Last I knew a guy over on the back road a couple miles from me still has his "Homebuilt" B model. His dad was actually the guy would got most of the old B's from the quarry he used for parts for his small trucking operation. This one son I'm told built his own truck from dad's "junk yard" and then managed to buy the last B model cabs Mack built. I haven't seen that black one on the road in a few years. These days I see him running a 10 wheeler Superliner, with the V-8! Think he has more than one, I know when we needed a air compressor gear for the V-8 1993 Superliner the company still runs he was the go to guy to borrow one till Mack could locate one.

  14. #14willie592016-06-05 21:47

    I can't say for sure myself TD, both the Dayton Steel Foundry and Budd Corporation have been around since the early twentieth century, and I can't find for sure when either of the companies first made the wheels we know today. I do see reference to Budd Corp making wheels for military vehicles used in WWII, and I'd wager Dayton wheels were in use at that time as well because you can see many trucks of that vintage with the Dayton spoke wheels, I just don't know who did it first. I can only speak for my area, but seems I recall back in the 60's and 70's, you take a B series Mack concrete truck with camel back suspension and the 46,000 lb rear axles they had the 6 spoke Dayton hub/rims. Same with the coal dump bodies mounted on DM or R model Mack trucks. I just don't recall seeing the heavy haul trucks in my area with Budd wheels back in those days, they pretty much all used Dayton hubs/rims. In my area I first noticed Budd wheels on OTR trucks. And don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Budd wheels on an old B series like Truck Shop posted, not at all. I guess I'm just partial to the nostalgia of the old Dayton spoke wheels on a vintage truck, the spokes just exemplify the old school heavy hauler.

  15. #15mitch5042016-06-05 21:51

    It seems to have been a regional thing, around here, it was Dayton rears, and Budd steers.

  16. #16Truck Shop2016-06-05 23:07

    The Dayton wheels were a derivative of early spoke wheels of the teens and before. From what I've found in the books I have cast Dayton style wheels arrived on the scene in 1928. The Budd wheel at the same time, give or take a few years. And my take on using budds on the steer is it runs truer when mounted. IMO And having a truck spec with Dayton's has never made a change in GVW on one heavy haul truck to another. Axle ratings seem to stay the same with either one. It's the axle housing and suspension plus tire ratings that seem to define that. IMO Truck Shop

  17. #17willie592016-06-05 23:30

    Agreed, from what I'm finding, both were making their debut in the early twentieth century. Remember, at this time, it wasn't a question of which was better or worse, a discussion we can have today. Rather, in the 1920's, this wasn't very long in years after the introduction of "the horseless carriage". For both Dayton and Budd, at that time, it was less a question of who was better and more of a matter the evolution of a better wheel for the new horseless carriage concept which by this time included trucks for transport as opposed to horse drawn wagons. An interesting subject of its own.

  18. #18lantraxco2016-06-06 02:54

    I recall from my youth "old guys" calling the Dayton wheels "California" wheels, with more than a little derision... The Northwet (sic) is not known for our social skills, outside perhaps Seattle.

  19. #19Truck Shop2016-06-06 07:32

    My slang for Dayton wheels----Minnesota Mags, Truck Shop

  20. #20old-iron-habit2016-06-06 11:19

    Great looking classic Mack. With that long wheelbase it would look great with an similar timeline Barko loader on the back setup as a shortwood hauler. Just an old lumberjack dreaming out loud.

  21. #21lantraxco2016-06-06 14:26

    Or a round nose Fruehauf freight trailer?

  22. #22Truck Shop2016-06-06 19:15

    Took some more photos today-his dad used it to move his D-7 in the sixty's and seventy's. Truck Shop

  23. #23kshansen2016-06-06 19:27

    Now that's a new one on me! Five speed with High/Low plus a three speed aux! Bet that would scare the heck out of some new guys to look down and see three shift levers. But with those old engines you needed all the gears you could find. Can't read the fine print on the five speed diagram, guessing says something like "Use Low Range in 1st or Reverse Only". And that crop of wasp nests would have my former boss and the working group leader running for cover, both very allergic or just plain scared of those critters. I always told them "You just have to rub them behind the ears and everything will be fine!"

  24. #24Truck Shop2016-06-06 21:00

    Mack called it a 9 Speed Overgear main box. The small print says {Do Not use 5th in Low**. And those yellow jackets had only set-up light house keeping. It's just starting to get hot, 98* today. When July rolls around those jackets will be pretty mean by then:avid Truck Shop

  25. #25grandpa2016-06-06 21:08

    Anybody got a clue what year this old girl is? http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab208/parkrapids/Old Trucks/IMG_0279.jpg

  26. #26willie592016-06-06 21:30

    Don't know the year, but looking at the style and features I'm guessing late 1940's.

  27. #27580bruce2016-06-06 23:29

    That is a great find. I missed a b65 single axle dump in Pasco a few years back. Bummed me out still! Eastern Washington has a number lurking around. There is one up the Methow I keep wanting to check out.

  28. #28old-iron-habit2016-06-06 23:32

    I'm guessing 1951 based on the old truckers in the coffee shop when I showed them the picture. None of them were sure though. Them old wheels appear to have the double lug nuts where you had to loosen the bigger outer nut to turn the square headed inner wheel nut. A real pain after changing a tire to keep loosening the outers to tighten the inner and then a few more bouts tightening the outers. Then when they both turned trying to take the wheel off you had the little short wrench that held the outer nut and hooked into the spoke so you could turn the inner bolt/nut back in to seperate that bolt set. Ah, The good old days. Not!

  29. #29Labparamour2016-06-06 23:39

    Great find! Hope you're able to bring her home. I guess I need to visit the east side more often. DB

  30. #30Truck Shop2016-06-07 07:29

    Thanks, I have kept an eye on this 71 for eighteen years. And never said anything about it till now. I keep a book of places where old trucks are setting that covers a 200 mile radius. There are over 80 entry's in that book. One of them is a 47 KW, rough but it's pretty much all there. Truck Shop

  31. #31RZucker2016-06-07 14:18

    I was thinking old school Peerless or General lowboy.

  32. #32Truck Shop2016-06-07 19:50

    By what I can find that Mack is either the LJ or LM model produced from 1940 to 1956. Although none were built between 41 and 45.

  33. #33grandpa2016-06-07 20:15

    Thanks Truck Shop,,, it was my fathers and has sat in that same spot for over 40 years.

  34. #34old-iron-habit2016-06-08 22:41

    OOPS, My 1951 guess was the Mack posted by the original poster. The one grandpa posted must be a bit older.

  35. #35grandpa2016-06-09 05:15

    Thanks for the clarification Old Iron.